What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck

Entertaining but his books become repetitive: a group of bums hanging out in a house, drink a lot, steal a lot, brawl a lot, have a big party, the end.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Soccer-Explains-...0976402-0744042

How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization by Franklin Foer

A good read for soccer fans with an interest in world events. Sort of an expose on how various global soccer institutions both affected and have been effected by globalization. Included is the story of the Red Star Brigade, a Serbian fan club that made the transition from hooliganism to nationalism and eventually alleged acts of genocide during the Balkan conflict. Also how soccer stubbornly persists in Iran against the wishes of the ayatollahs as a connection with the West. I'd recommend it to travellers, as each chapter is a separate story that can be read and digested independently of the whole.

A few months back I ordered a stack of books based mainly on recommendations from the "5 Books Everyone Should Read" thread. So far I have not been disappointed.Last weekend I started reading "House of Leaves". I gotta say, this is THE STRANGEST book I have ever read, and there really isnt even a close 2nd. Despite this, I cant wait to read more. I can think of a lot of people I know that wouldnt even bother reading past the first chapter.
Let us know when you start seeing and hearing things. I'm being completely serious here.
I've been trying to limit myself to avoid going nutty. I keep coming back because I'm morbidly curious to find out if it is just going to keep getting weirder and weirder until I am unable to finish.

The 33 Strategies of War(Strategies for winning the subtle social game of everyday life) by Robert Greene. The same author of The 48 Laws of Power. Very interesting so far.

The 33 Strategies of War(Strategies for winning the subtle social game of everyday life) by Robert Greene. The same author of The 48 Laws of Power. Very interesting so far.
apparently, the hip hop scene is absolutely mad for this guy's work. there was a new yorker article a few weeks back featuring him and his surprising popularity in that crowd...

Just finishing up "Chomsky on Anarchism," a collection of Noam Chomsky essays and interviews on the subject of anarchist history and philosophy. Good stuff.

Finishing up an interesting read titled The Puppet Masters: A Secret History by John Hughes-Wilson. It's a record of intelligence agencies and gathering throughout world history and how it influenced world events. My mom got it for me in Paris at Shakespeare & Company, but it's actually entertaining, too, and despite the corny title. Amazon link and synopsis below.

The Puppet Masters

John Hughes-Wilson is a former intelligence officer and is ideally placed to reveal the secret history of military intelligence. He takes us 'behind the scenes' of military and political events from Elizabeth I to Osama bin Laden and the crisis in the Middle East. The book is divided into three parts. The first investigates some famous disasters when lack of intelligence was the decisive factor, e.g. Gallipoli and Dieppe. The second examines some equally famous examples of good intelligence being overlooked or ignored, e.g. the 'bridge too far' battle of Arnhem. The last part goes behind the scenes of some famous successes, from the capture of Slobodan Milosevic to the defeat of IRA bombing campaigns and the arrest of a spy ring at the heart of NATO.

saintfool said:
oddball said:
apparently, the hip hop scene is absolutely mad for this guy's work. there was a new yorker article a few weeks back featuring him and his surprising popularity in that crowd...
Interesting. The hip hop crowd can read?

I finished the Ender/Shadow series over the weekend. There are four books in the Ender series, and four books in the Shadow (Bean) series. Also, there is a collection of three short stories in a book called First Meetings. Pretty worthless IMO.

The first two books in the Ender series, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, still shine through as the best by far. They're so different from each other, yet they are both great in their own way. The first book in the Shadow series, Ender's Shadow is really solid as well, though not as good as the original two books. The rest of the Shadow series is pretty good, but nowhere near great. And, of course, the third and fourth books in the Ender series are pretty weak.

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
If anyone is interested in this, try to find I Am Legend as a stand alone. The issue I have has that story (about 200 pages?) and then a bunch of short stories. I Am Legend was pretty good (if you are into horror), but the short stories have sucked.

Just finishing up "Chomsky on Anarchism," a collection of Noam Chomsky essays and interviews on the subject of anarchist history and philosophy. Good stuff.
I recently read "Imperial Ambitions: Conversations on the Post-9/11 World" by Chomsky but came away not that impressed.

I recently read "Imperial Ambitions: Conversations on the Post-9/11 World" by Chomsky but came away not that impressed.
Haven't read that one. If you're interested in more Chomsky I'd recommend "Understanding Power: The Indispensible Chomsky." http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Power-...m/dp/1565847032

Just finished Commander in Chief, by Perret. He researches and explores the decisions behind the Korean (Truman), Vietnam (Johnson), and Iraq (Bush) wars. Rather fascinating stuff ...doesn't make ya feel at all good about the yo-yo's in charge of our country.

Salems Lot isnt too bad. Not even a king fan but picked this up. Little more than halfway through. His biggest problem is his wordiness and penchant to describe too much. Otherwise its spooky.

Salems Lot isnt too bad. Not even a king fan but picked this up. Little more than halfway through. His biggest problem is his wordiness and penchant to describe too much. Otherwise its spooky.
Just finished this last night. I read it once a couple of years ago, but I'm now slowly heading through the entire King collection in order of publication.Very cool book. There's a great pace and build-up to the end. One of the better King novels.

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. Pretty good so far...

Has anyone read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? I was thinking about picking it up. I really enjoyed his book The Da Vinci Code.

I just finished "Three Nights in August" by Buzz Bissinger. If you really like all of the inside games within the game of baseball, this is a must read.

I started a book called "Velvet Elvis" last night. It is a very different look into Christianity. It has me thinking quite a bit after only 2 chapters.

Has anyone read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? I was thinking about picking it up. I really enjoyed his book The Da Vinci Code.
I've read A&D. I actually preferred it to the DaVinci Code. It was an entertaining read. Also read his other two, Digital Fortress and Deception Point. Digital Fortress was kinda of out of place, but Deception Point was pretty good.

Just finished Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter - being made into a movie called Shooter. Good fiction book, slightly unbelievable that the character(s) can survive what they do, but if you suspend disbelief you'll be alright.

If you like conspiracy stuff and/or sniper stuff, you'll probably like this book, but it does get fairly technical with some of the sniper stuff. Also has a undertone about gun control politics, but doesn't get too pushy on that aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. Pretty good so far...Has anyone read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? I was thinking about picking it up. I really enjoyed his book The Da Vinci Code.
I have probably never read two books more similar to one another than Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code. I know authors tend to find something that works and go with it, but Dan Brown took it to a ridiculous level.

Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler. I expect it will be like most of CC's stuff. Entertaining, worthwhile, but not earth-shatteringly good. He sure is a prolific author..no denying that.

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. Pretty good so far...

Angels & Demons >>>> DaVinci Code

Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler. I expect it will be like most of CC's stuff. Entertaining, worthwhile, but not earth-shatteringly good. He sure is a prolific author..no denying that.
That was one of the first Cussler books I read and since then I've read almost everything he's done. They're formulaic, but they're entertaining. If you haven't read any of Cussler's "Oregon Files" check them out. They're a little out of the "Dirk Pitt / Kurt Austin" mold and I've really liked Golden Buddha and Dark Watch

I just finished reading Stephen King's Needful Things, it was OK. I found it a little long and that it dragged at points, but it really picked up the pace near the end.

I also just finished reading Dean Koontz's Life Expectancy, which I really, really enjoyed. It's quite funny throughout with good dialogue.

I'm currently re-reading the Harry Potter series in preparation for the Deathly Hallows release this summer :thumbup:

Just finished the thoroughly enjoyable " World War Z " by Max Brooks. Just started " Haunted " by Chuck Palahniuk.

That was one of the first Cussler books I read and since then I've read almost everything he's done. They're formulaic, but they're entertaining. If you haven't read any of Cussler's "Oregon Files" check them out. They're a little out of the "Dirk Pitt / Kurt Austin" mold and I've really liked Golden Buddha and Dark Watch
Golden Buddha was the first Cussler book I read (book on CD actually), and I really enjoyed it. So I've been backtracking thru his work ever since.

Just finished this last night. I read it once a couple of years ago, but I'm now slowly heading through the entire King collection in order of publication.Very cool book. There's a great pace and build-up to the end. One of the better King novels.
Yea the last 100 pages is a super quick read. Suspenseful as heck.

I'm about halfway through Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden (Black Hawk Down, Killing Pablo, etc.). Pretty engrossing account of the Iran hostage crisis.

I've read something like 14 of the Dirk Pitt books and the first in the Kurt Austin series. While Cussler will never win any awards for writing or plausibility, there are few books that I look forward to more than the next Cussler novel.

Currently reading Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen.

After this one, I'll alternate Hiaasen and Harry Potter until I've read all of Hiaasen's fiction and am caught up on Harry Potter before the seventh one hits the shelves.

I've read something like 14 of the Dirk Pitt books and the first in the Kurt Austin series. While Cussler will never win any awards for writing or plausibility, there are few books that I look forward to more than the next Cussler novel.
I've read a couple Kurt Austins and this is the 2nd Dirk Pitt story I've gotten into. Is there any major differences between the two characters?

I've read a couple Kurt Austins and this is the 2nd Dirk Pitt story I've gotten into. Is there any major differences between the two characters?
Not from what I've seen. Though in my eyes Pitt is the original and will thus always be the man, while Austin is like his kid brother.

Not really. Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala mirror Dirk Pitt and Al Giordano pretty closely. There are obvious physical differences but I find all the characters pretty similar. Don't let that stop you from reading the books though. They're fun, entertaining reads, regardless.

Just started " Haunted " by Chuck Palahniuk.
Interested in your review.
" Haunted " will be my sixth trip to Palahniuk-Land. I've loved everything so far that I've read by CP - with the exception of " Non Fiction " that I just couldn't get along with.Are you a Chuckie fan, shuke?
I loved Fight Club and Lullaby, really liked Choke, and thought Survivor was just ok.
Oooh - I really enjoyed Survivor. Nothing has touched Fight Club yet though. If Chuck can top that I'll be seriously impressed. " Haunted " is off to a great start though!Give some of CP's non-fiction ( namely " Fugitives & Refugees " ) a go down the line if you find the time / inclination. His writing style lends itself well to that particular discipline imho - plus the lad has led one seriously unusual life.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 60 pages into "The Last King of Scotland." I've not seen the movie, so the book is fresh for me.

I traveled to Uganda 4 years ago on a mission, so the story and descriptive writing are thoroughly interesting to me. I'm not sure how interesting it would be to someone unfamiliar with the country.

Users who are viewing this thread