What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

I really enjoyed 1934's Pulitzer Prize winning Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller. It's a story about rural Georgia from about 1820 through 1865. However, the Civil War is an extremely minor topic in the book ("But when the war broke with the Yankees..." is on page 342 of a 358 page book). It is more the story of Cean Carver, starting on the day of her marriage and capturing a - if the aftwerword is to be believed - very accurate portrayal of life in rural Georgia at that time.

Margaret Mitchell blurbed: "Your book is undoubtedly the greatest that ever came out of the South about Southern people, and it is my favorite book." I'm inclined to agree. Mitchell's book is on the list (1937) and I think I liked Miller's better. GWTW's good, but probably enhanced by the movie.

Anyway, 40 down, 58 to go.
Next up: Now in November by Josephine Winslow Johnson.

The Man Who Broke Capitalism by David Gelles (2022) - https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Broke-Capitalism-America_and/dp/198217644X

I know the hindsight view when we look at Jack Welch's legacy/impact is pretty damning but I'm still finding this to be a fascinating read. Not anything groundbreaking but really ties the post WWII view on employees, corporations, etc. into the 80's/90's (mostly the 80's) shifting towards positive fiscal reporting; for those in the US, away from manufacturing and making things to financial wizardry, offshoring and acquisitions and how it took off for other giant companies.

Was a gut check for me because I've found the 20/70/10 employee model to be fairly consistent across employers and still held him in some regard (in business; not as a person because he was clearly a gigantic POS while he walked the earth.)

The Invention of Sound by Chuck Palahniuk. It's been a while since I've read anything of his, not sure why I've put it off. This is dark, and typically absurd. I enjoyed it, but I'm still collecting my thoughts on the end. I think some of the narrative was purposely unreliable. If anyone wants to discuss I'd like to.

Next up is Dune. Have never read it.

1933's The Store by T.S. Stribling
:hot:

So I'm reading this book on-line as my library doesn't have it. I'm rolling along and come to a stop. "This preview does not include pages 26 - 29" What? Apparently the book isn't (fully) available on google books either. Let's look elsewhere; perhaps I'll buy it.
Nope.
Cheapest option is $40. Most of the available inventory are hundreds if not thousands of dollars for 1st editions, signed copies, etc.

I guess I will skip this one for now. In the event I live long enough to finish all of the others, I plan on purchasing the book and closing out the series with it.

You can borrow it from the Internet Archive if you don't mind renewing it every hour

Have an hour or two left on my second Wheel of Time reread in 18 months. Read all the Foundation books and some other stuff during that time. May start Narnia or some other classic Scifi this weekend if anyone has any ideas.

Bleak.

That's my 1 word summary of 1935's winner Now in November by Josephine Winslow Johnson. Unrelentingly bleak, if you need 2 words.

Queue Stefon: It's got everything: suicide, the Dust Bowl, depression (both mental and economic), unrequited love, fire, burn victims, poverty.
Hell, even the passage about a birthday celebration ends with the death of the family dog. By knife.

Although well written, this might have been the most depressing book I've ever read. It makes McCarthy's The Road seem like a Bob Hope/Bing Crosby road picture.

41 down, 57 to go.
Next up: Honey in the Horn by H.L. Davis

Currently reading Percival Everett’s James. Huck Finn told from the perspective of Jim. So good. Early favorite for book of the year.

I just finished Honey in the Horn by H.L. Davis, the 1936 Pulitzer Prize winner. What a great book. It's the story of Oregon in the homesteading period: 1906-1908. Told mainly through the eyes of Clay Calvert, its a little bit analogous to Arrowsmith (Sinclair Lewis) the winner from 10 years previous in that instead of outlining pretty much everything a doctor might experience (Arrowsmith), Honey in the Horn covers everything a homesteader in turn of the 20th century Oregon might experience.

From the jacket cover, The Christian Science Monitor thought it smacked of Bret Harte, Mark Twain -- and Paul Bunyan. I don't get the Paul Bunyan refernce as it isn't a tall tale, nor do I get the Bret Harte allusion as I've not ready him. However, I think the Twain comparison is apt. Let me share a brief passage:

"The proprietor was generally a man who was not able to make a living without that extra revenue, and in most cases he was afflicted by some handicap like a missing limb or twelve children or political ambitions or weakmindedness. The handicap of Clay's employer was piety."

Anyway, strong recommendation on this one.

Next up would be Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, but I've read that already. Instead, I've signed up for the Internet Archive (thanks @Eephus !) and I'll read The Store the 1933 winner by T. S. Stribling.

42 down/56 to go

Starting Eye of the World AGAIN, lol. I think this will be my third read through, but possibly it's the fourth. I love the Wheel of Time books so much, why does the TV series have to suxor so bad?

Last few fiction books I've read...

The Woman in the Window
Dark Matter
No Exit
The Kind Worth Killing

Suspense my go to genre for an escape, easy reads which you can breeze through

I finally managed to finish The Store, the 1933 winner by T. S. Stribling. I don't know how you guys that use Kindles or other electronic methods can do it. Having to read this book on-line went at a snail's pace (and I'm probably doing a disservice to snails).

Anyway, it was not like Confederacy of Dunces as I foolishly though based on the hilarious first passage. But it wasn't bad. Turns out it is the 2nd book in the Aiden trilogy (I did a little research after finishing the book). I don't think you need to read the other books to get this one. It is a pretty straightforward story about the Reconstruction/post-Reconstruction south (Alabama). But given how hard it is to find, I would not recommend it.

Now, back to chronological order: 1938's The Late George Apley: A Novel in the Form of a Memoir by J.P. Marquand

Area 51, An uncensored history of America’s Top Secret Military Base by Annie Jacobsen

I listened to an interview with Annie on Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History about her new book on nuclear weapons, it sounded fascinating. Local library doesn’t have the nuke book yet so I took a shot at this one. I could probably learned all this watching the History channel but I knew basically nothing about the U2 spy plane, Ox Cart program, and drone development. Really enjoyed this book and plan on reading her book about the CIA. This is not my normal reading topic, but I’m hooked now.

Area 51, An uncensored history of America’s Top Secret Military Base by Annie Jacobsen

I listened to an interview with Annie on Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History about her new book on nuclear weapons, it sounded fascinating. Local library doesn’t have the nuke book yet so I took a shot at this one. I could probably learned all this watching the History channel but I knew basically nothing about the U2 spy plane, Ox Cart program, and drone development. Really enjoyed this book and plan on reading her book about the CIA. This is not my normal reading topic, but I’m hooked now.
Me too, I ordered all her books. Starting with the most recent one in a few weeks, Nuclear War.

Me too, I ordered all her books. Starting with the most recent one in a few weeks, Nuclear War.
Awesome can’t wait to hear back as to what you think. I’m getting the cia book tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread