What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (5 Viewers)

Guster said:
I was wondering if anyone could give me some recos on good books?

I'm a big fan of history and learning about pretty much anything from the past (Judgement in Paris about the 1976 California vs. France wine tasting, pretty much anything sports or music related, world war 2, etc).
I picked up The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America after reading recommendations here and loved it. That book alone has kept me coming back to this thread for my next reads. The architectural advances of the time coupled with a sick serial killer I'd never heard of made for very interesting reading. The book goes back and forth between the two topics and no matter which part I was reading, I was always happy to get back to the other side of the book. (In a good way)
Thanks!!
Just picked it up at the library. Should keep me busy for a while. Thanks again for the reco!

Just finished City of Thieves by David Benioff. Definitely recommended. It's about a boy and a soldier that are forced to become friends in WWII Russia. If you know even a little bit about the horrific nature of the fighting/surviving that went on...you'll be really interested in the details. If you don't know anything going in, it's a great way to get an overview of what kinds of things were really going on in the Eastern front of that war. Very well written. It's about 250 pages, but you'll swear it's only about 100 because it flies by so fast and reads so easily. The last 5 pages left a little to be desired...but it's a minor complaint.
:lmao: Awesome book. Just finished it myself.
:moneybag: I finished the book in no time and I really enjoyed it.
Yea. Two sittings for me. First night I stayed up until 2 AM reading this thing sipping on whiskey. Finished it up in a couple of hours a few days later. Really enjoyed this thing.

Almost finished with Matt Taibbi's "Griftopia"

Holy Crap, if just half of this book is true, we are screwed
I've lost sleep after reading some of his RS articles. And I say the same thing to people who tend to dismiss him strictly because he writes for RS and therefore must be the looniest liberal ever to pick up a pen.
He doesn't like Ayn Rand and HATES Allen Greenspan, but he rips Obama almost as much if not more than Bush.

Guster said:

I'm a big fan of history and learning about pretty much anything from the past (Judgement in Paris about the 1976 California vs. France wine tasting, pretty much anything sports or music related, world war 2, etc).
I picked up The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America after reading recommendations here and loved it. That book alone has kept me coming back to this thread for my next reads. The architectural advances of the time coupled with a sick serial killer I'd never heard of made for very interesting reading. The book goes back and forth between the two topics and no matter which part I was reading, I was always happy to get back to the other side of the book. (In a good way)
Thanks!!
Just picked it up at the library. Should keep me busy for a while. Thanks again for the reco!
Thunderstruck is Larsen's followup novel. It's done in the same general format - Marconi's invention (sorta) of the radio juxtaposed with a serial killer's story. They tie together at the end. If you enjoy Devil, you'll probably like this one.

Guster said:

Thanks!!
Thunderstruck is Larsen's followup novel. It's done in the same general format - Marconi's invention (sorta) of the radio juxtaposed with a serial killer's story. They tie together at the end. If you enjoy Devil, you'll probably like this one.
Adding to my library list...thanks.

Finished reading the The Greatest Trade Ever by Gregory Zuckerman. It was a good quick, easy read but it was a investment/financial debacle article that interested me. It's the story of a hedge fund manager who foresaw the housing crisis and made $15 billion for his firm as well as over a billion for himself.
Which fund?
Paulson & Co. Here is the Wikipedia article on Paulson. Link

:goodposting: Hey! Good morning from Albuquerque! My first post here so checking out how things work, and don't want to appear as a precocious ******* making some idjut NOOB post in Assistant Coach. I hail from Fantasy Fanatics and was recommeded this site by Cal from RotoGrinders-mainly to find a decent year round FF discussion and to improve in PPR.

I read mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy and recently finished R. Scott Baker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I'm currently finishing Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates and about to start Memories of Ice-these two Canadian authors know how to bring some brutal hardcore Fantasy.

:hifive: Hey! Good morning from Albuquerque! My first post here so checking out how things work, and don't want to appear as a precocious ******* making some idjut NOOB post in Assistant Coach. I hail from Fantasy Fanatics and was recommeded this site by Cal from RotoGrinders-mainly to find a decent year round FF discussion and to improve in PPR.I read mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy and recently finished R. Scott Baker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I'm currently finishing Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates and about to start Memories of Ice-these two Canadian authors know how to bring some brutal hardcore Fantasy.
Congratulations on making it to the top 10 weirdest posts ever. :lmao:

:lmao: Hey! Good morning from Albuquerque! My first post here so checking out how things work, and don't want to appear as a precocious ******* making some idjut NOOB post in Assistant Coach. I hail from Fantasy Fanatics and was recommeded this site by Cal from RotoGrinders-mainly to find a decent year round FF discussion and to improve in PPR.I read mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy and recently finished R. Scott Baker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I'm currently finishing Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates and about to start Memories of Ice-these two Canadian authors know how to bring some brutal hardcore Fantasy.
Danlo, pay no attention to the man behind the forehead.

I seldom read more than one book at once but the Three Kingdoms volumes aren't the best for traveling (big hardcovers) so I brought Lonesome Dove on my holiday.

I am only one chapter in and I already suspect this will be one of the better books I have read.

I seldom read more than one book at once but the Three Kingdoms volumes aren't the best for traveling (big hardcovers) so I brought Lonesome Dove on my holiday.

I am only one chapter in and I already suspect this will be one of the better books I have read.
I cannot imagine you will feel differently when you're done. That book won the Pulitzer but there's not one iota of pretention in it. Others can have their Faulkner or whomever - I think it's the best American novel ever.

Uruk-Hai said:
- I think it's the best American novel ever.
Oof. Them're some bold words, my friend.As a result, I guess I'm gonna hafta read it now.

My nominee would be either Infinite Jest or The Baroque Cycle. Or maybe something by Jack London. I am admittedly not thinking very hard about it, though.

Uruk-Hai said:
Oof. Them're some bold words, my friend.As a result, I guess I'm gonna hafta read it now.

My nominee would be either Infinite Jest or The Baroque Cycle. Or maybe something by Jack London. I am admittedly not thinking very hard about it, though.
Oh, I'm sure more literate types would disagree. That's ok - it's all opinion anyway. For what I ask for out of novels, it hits every single note - there's not one single flaw I can think of.

Finished Never Let Me Go

In the end, I am really glad I kept going with this book. Without getting into it, it was a very interesting way of bringing up the consequences of a hot button topic without really directly bringing it up. However, I think the book bogged down for a couple reasons. First, the characters weren't all that interesting, and their silly melodrama got old in a couple of spots. Second, he seemed to fall into an annoying pattern with the writing and the way he started/ended chapters. There was a lot of "and that reminds me of the time Ruth did this", "first I should tell you about the time at the pond", etc... Overall, it was well worth the read, but expect a slow deliberate book.

Next up is catching up on classics I missed have a huge list thanks to the novel draft. Yesterday I started All Quiet on the Western Front, and am absolutely loving it so far.

I've gotten a little over halfway through Bret Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero the past couple nights.

I don't get why this book was such a big deal. It's bleak, depressing, and dehumanizing. There is nothing redeeming about any of the characters whatsoever. I guess it's 200 pages of hopelessness and rudderless debauchery. Being part of the Gen X crowd that Ellis supposedly "has the pulse of," I don't feel like he's writing about me in any way. Maybe I can't relate because I didn't spend the 80s growing up in Hollywood, part of a rich, dysfunctional and disaffected family.

Tempting to just delete this off the Kindle, but it's so short that I guess I'll power through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished The Risk Pool by Richard Russo. Its the first Russo book I've read, though I loved the Empire Falls mini-series and Nobody's Fool movie. I can't wait to read more Russo. It was terrific. I can't recommend it enough.

I've gotten a little over halfway through Bret Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero the past couple nights.

I don't get why this book was such a big deal. It's bleak, depressing, and dehumanizing. There is nothing redeeming about any of the characters whatsoever. I guess it's 200 pages of hopelessness and rudderless debauchery. Being part of the Gen X crowd that Ellis supposedly "has the pulse of," I don't feel like he's writing about me in any way. Maybe I can't relate because I didn't spend the 80s growing up in Hollywood, part of a rich, dysfunctional and disaffected family.

Tempting to just delete this off the Kindle, but it's so short that I guess I'll power through it.
The movie is a thousand times worse. Only movie I ever walked out of.

Oh, I'm sure more literate types would disagree. That's ok - it's all opinion anyway. For what I ask for out of novels, it hits every single note - there's not one single flaw I can think of.
I'll take The Stand thanks.

:lmao: Hey! Good morning from Albuquerque! My first post here so checking out how things work, and don't want to appear as a precocious ******* making some idjut NOOB post in Assistant Coach. I hail from Fantasy Fanatics and was recommeded this site by Cal from RotoGrinders-mainly to find a decent year round FF discussion and to improve in PPR.I read mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy and recently finished R. Scott Baker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy. I'm currently finishing Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates and about to start Memories of Ice-these two Canadian authors know how to bring some brutal hardcore Fantasy.
:lmao:

Banged through Nick Flynn's Another Bulls*** Night In Suck City in a couple hours - it's quick...and harrowing.

Really great voice this guy's got.

Im just about to finish Fargo Rock City - Chuck Klosterman. Yes, I am a Klosterman fanatic. If you like him, this is more of the same.

This book is about growing up in the 80's listening to hair metal. Originally I hadn't planned on reading this book because I was never really all that into hair metal. After reading the book i realized that pretty much... almost everyone was into hair metal at that time. It was what was on the radio and MTV. It was a cool book. Basically Chuck's attempt to give importance to hair metal, a genere often made fun of the years after grunge killed it. He convinced me.

I recently finished Edmund Morris's Colonel Roosevelt, the final volume in his 3 volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt (after The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex). The research and prose is up there with the other volumes. It's not quite up there overall though, but mostly because the circumstances are not as exciting (it could easily have been entitled the decline of Theodore Roosevelt). His trips overseas to Africa and South America, his 3rd party run in 1912 and assassination attempt, and activities surrounding WWI are probably the highlights of the book. Anyway, it's definitely worth a read if you've read the first two volumes, but probably not otherwise.

Starting Chernow's bio on Washington now.

I really want to go into that thread about books where the lead protaganist dies, but I wouldn't want to know the spoiler before reading the book.

By the way, any need to change the title of this thread to make it more easily searchable? "wathca" and "readin" aren't really common terms. I didn't expect this thread to turn into such a monster.

I really want to go into that thread about books where the lead protaganist dies, but I wouldn't want to know the spoiler before reading the book.
Same here. Can only figure that thread is chock full of ruination for a lot of folks' upcoming books.

Just finished re-reading EMYth Revisited (that was given to me by someone here in the FFA. :lmao: )

Started reading 4 books at once now.

1. Life - Keith Richards

2. Good to Great - Jim Collins (already had started this one)

3. Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell

4. The Real Price of Everything ( :nerd: )

I have "Leadership Secrets of the Navy Seals" and "Devil In the White City" (again) lined up after I finish the ones above. #4 is going to take me 6 months to read.

I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I liked the story. I was interested in the outcome. The "mystery" was well done. But damn, the dialogue by the 9-year-old protagonist was so awful. Juno on steroids. I tried to convince myself that he never really talks in real life and all of the conversations were done in his head...but it's clearly not the case.

As an aside...Foer wrote Everything is Illuminated as well...and if you haven't seen the movie adaptation, go out and get it today. It's really good.

just started "the name of the rose" for the third time over the past couple of years. i've yet to get past the first 100 pages or so, but i'm hoping putting it down in digital writing here will give me the motivation.

also like abraham, i'm also reading "good to great" and i came across a $1 copy of "the sea hunters" by cussler that i'm looking forward to starting.

I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I liked the story. I was interested in the outcome. The "mystery" was well done. But damn, the dialogue by the 9-year-old protagonist was so awful. Juno on steroids. I tried to convince myself that he never really talks in real life and all of the conversations were done in his head...but it's clearly not the case. As an aside...Foer wrote Everything is Illuminated as well...and if you haven't seen the movie adaptation, go out and get it today. It's really good.
Made it through about 100 pages of Extremely Loud, got distracted by another story and forgot to pick it back up. My thoughts were the same -- interesting story, but the pace was maddening at times. Sounds like it's worth seeing it through to the end.

Recent reads:

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane - Not as good as prior entries in the Kenzie/Genarro series, but I'm sure that folks that first read his books in the 90s were thrilled to read it. I still haven't read his standalone work but I'm bummed that I'm almost out of Lehane novels.

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher - This series has really grown on me. They are a nice breezy break between books every month or two.

igbomb said:
Recent reads:Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane - Not as good as prior entries in the Kenzie/Genarro series, but I'm sure that folks that first read his books in the 90s were thrilled to read it. I still haven't read his standalone work but I'm bummed that I'm almost out of Lehane novels.
This the sequel to Gone Baby Gone?

I love The Sea-Wolf. But I don't think it's in contention for best ever.

Just finished The Risk Pool by Richard Russo. Its the first Russo book I've read, though I loved the Empire Falls mini-series and Nobody's Fool movie. I can't wait to read more Russo. It was terrific. I can't recommend it enough.
Interesting. I liked Empire Falls but didn't love it. But I thought Straight Man was pretty great. I need to get Risk Pool.

I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I liked the story. I was interested in the outcome. The "mystery" was well done. But damn, the dialogue by the 9-year-old protagonist was so awful. Juno on steroids. I tried to convince myself that he never really talks in real life and all of the conversations were done in his head...but it's clearly not the case. As an aside...Foer wrote Everything is Illuminated as well...and if you haven't seen the movie adaptation, go out and get it today. It's really good.
Well don't forget it's an untrustworthy narrator, so you have to read it that way. I loved that book. Haven't gotten to Everything is Illuminated yet.

A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking. So far so good, it has helped me visualize a lot of concepts that you hear often but don't quite have a grasp of.
try A Brief History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. That's a really good one for explaining complicated concepts of science in bite-sized chunks.

I'm reading A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. I really enjoy Vinge; he's got some very advanced and interesting sci-fi concepts.

Next up are the horde of apocalyptic fiction books I bought on my last trip to Half Price.
I like the Bryson book but if you want a quick read that simplifies complex concepts, try The Grand Design by Hawking, I could actually follow it on audio book while running, although I would get more from reading the book and re-reading certain portions. Still, my time is limited so audiobooks + running is the efficient way to go when I don't need to worry about being tested.

igbomb said:
Recent reads:Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane - Not as good as prior entries in the Kenzie/Genarro series, but I'm sure that folks that first read his books in the 90s were thrilled to read it. I still haven't read his standalone work but I'm bummed that I'm almost out of Lehane novels.
This the sequel to Gone Baby Gone?
There has been at least one in between, but this does act as a sequel, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread