What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

DETROIT -- Players are limited to 20 days while on a rehabilitation assignment. Expect outfielder Andy Dirks to use almost all of them, if not every single one of them.

Brad Ausmus said Tuesday that Dirks will not be back in the lineup for the Detroit Tigers anytime soon after he started a rehabilitation assignment Tuesday night with Single-A Lakeland.

"I'm sure he'll use the 20 days," Ausmus said. "He's really almost starting from scratch. That would be not even a full spring training schedule."

Head athletic trainer Kevin Rand shared similar sentiments.

"This is his spring training," Rand said.

Dirks led off and started in left field Tuesday for Lakeland. He flied out in his first at-bat but singled and scored in the fourth inning in his second at-bat.

Rand said Dirks would start out by playing five innings defensively and getting three at-bats with the plan for his playing time being reassessed daily.

"He's been working in the field, but he hasn't been playing because he hasn't had any games he could play in," Rand said. "We've been doing simulated games, that sort of thing. He's done a lot of outfield work. He's ready."

Eventually, Dirks will be moved from Lakeland to Triple-A Toledo to continue his rehab assignment. Dirks will not move to Toledo until sometime after the end of the Triple-A All-Star break, which is set for July 14-16.

"They take three days," Rand said. "We can't lose those days. We have to have him playing. We can't have him playing the Tuesday of the All-Star break, because everybody has that day off. But he can play every other day, and that's what we're trying to do. We're trying to maximize the number of games that he can play."

In other news regarding an injured Tigers player, Rand said relief pitcher Joel Hanrahan threw a 25-pitch bullpen session Saturday but still is not ready to face batters. The Tigers signed Hanrahan in May, about a year after he had Tommy John surgery.

Verlander went from a disastrous outing which would have everyone questioning him, to a probably victory thanks to the offense. Hopefully this gives him a boost.

Hopefully you guys who haven't seen Paul Maholm pitch will enjoy the show. He's one of the staples of my "Players Who STINK!!!" thread. No clue how he has a job in the major leagues. He throws a straight 80 mph fastball, but makes up for it by throwing a curve ball which does absolutely nothing.

Hopefully you guys who haven't seen Paul Maholm pitch will enjoy the show. He's one of the staples of my "Players Who STINK!!!" thread. No clue how he has a job in the major leagues. He throws a straight 80 mph fastball, but makes up for it by throwing a curve ball which does absolutely nothing.
Did not disappoint,JV settled down to retire 13 in a row after Uribe's HR.

20 hits and 14 runs were both season highs.

Hunter has been hot of late, Castellanos 3 hits and 2 Ks will keep the advanced stats crowd scratching their heads. JDM up to .331 now.

Jackson is lost offensively and a horrible CF defensively. We don't really have the chips to make a move - I'm assuming DD won't trade Robbie Ray as he'll be in the rotation next year, and we should give Derek Hill a few years to develop. Bless You Boys did a rundown recently of who DD might consider moving:

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/7/6/5872239/tigers-trade-rumors-nick-castellanos-drew-smyly-robbie-ray

Hope VMart comes back soon. Was having a phenominnal year before he tweaked his back.

Last edited by a moderator:
STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

Max Scherzer (10-3, 3.47 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Dodgers: 1-3, 3.89 ERA

Los Angeles Dodgers

Zack Greinke (11-4, 2.66 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 13-6, 2.74 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Los Angeles Dodgers

1. Dee Gordon, 2B (3 for 8, 2B, HR)

2. Yasiel Puig, RF

3. Hanley Ramirez, DH (0 for 6, 3 SOs)

4. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B (4 for 20, .200, 2B)

5. Matt Kemp, LF (0 for 18, BB, 5 SOs)

6. Andre Ethier, CF (6 for 18, .333, 2B, HR)

7. Juan Uribe, 3B (3 for 10, 2B)

8. A.J. Ellis, C (1 for 3)

9. Miguel Rojas, SS

Detroit Tigers

1. Austin Jackson, CF (1 for 10)

2. Ian Kinsler, 2B (4 for 26, .154, HR, 7 SOs)

3. Torii Hunter, DH (9 for 33, .273, 2 2Bs, 3 HRs, 8 RBIs)

4. J.D. Martinez, RF (2 for 10)

5. Don Kelly, 1B (3 for 8, .375)

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B

7. Alex Avila, C (3 for 11, .273, 3 RBIs, 2 BBs, 4 SOs)

8. Eugenio Suarez, SS

9. Rajai Davis, LF (2 for 11, .182, 3 SOs)

GAME NOTES

-- Miguel Cabrera is not in the starting lineup for the first time this season. Brad Ausmus has been trying to get him a day off. This is it. The Tigers have a four-game series this weekend against the Royals in Kansas City prior to next week's All-Star break.

-- With both Cabrera and Victor Martinez (right side soreness) out of the lineup, Torii Hunter will be the designated hitter and bat third. J.D. Martinez remains in the cleanup spot but will start in right field. Kelly will make his first start of the season at first base.

-- The forecast calls for sunny skies and temperatures in the low to mid-70s today at Comerica Park.

Nathan should make this exciting.
Glad we got the insurance run. Two really isn't enough.

Did well to get four hits today out of Jackson and Kelly today with Miggy off. Max with a solid 7 (4 H, 7K, 2 BB). Joba with 2 Ks and a nifty snag on a comebacker. Now it's on Sloppy Joe to seal the sweep.

Aside - that's two (2) career intentional BBs for Don Kelly now. Congrats on the milestone.

Nathan should make this exciting.
Glad we got the insurance run. Two really isn't enough.

Did well to get four hits today out of Jackson and Kelly today with Miggy off. Max with a solid 7 (4 H, 7K, 2 BB). Joba with 2 Ks and a nifty snag on a comebacker. Now it's on Sloppy Joe to seal the sweep.

Aside - that's two (2) career intentional BBs for Don Kelly now. Congrats on the milestone.
I hate to be the Debbie Downer I was as far as USA soccer futures went, but anyone with Dodger WS futures might as well flush those tickets down the crapper too.

Give up 14 straight runs one day and then the next day lose to a batting line up without Miggy & VMart while letting Sloppy Joe mow them down 1-2-3. :no:

and I didn't even mention Don Kelly...

Good to get a solid win like this with two aces on the mound. Despite a couple of stumbles, Max is putting together an excellent season.
We all see the same things, right? Lots of warts. Horrendous OF play, running into outs constantly, and no one trusts Nathan (with good reason)

But somehow we'll go into the ASG having been in first all but three days.

Positives:

• two 11 game winners; despite his last outing, I think Porcello has found a niche as a solid sinker ball pitcher, and Max is Max
  • Miggy and VMart - meeting expectations
  • Kinsler playing like an All-Star even if they didn't pick him this year
  • Castellanos is getting results the last six weeks (he's hit the ball well all year) and showing improvement offensively
  • J.D. Martinez is the pickup of the year, absolute stud so far
Not feeling good about the current 25 man in the postseason, but we'll see if DD comes up with something. Dirks and Hanrahan should be back within 3 and 5 weeks, respectively, while Robbie Ray will almost surely be on the playoff roster.

Anibal and JV need to have great second halves. I don't have any expectations from Smyly. No two ways about it, we would have been better off with Fister. The jury is still out RR, we'll find out next year.

All in all we're in better shape than most contenders. There are no super teams out there right now.

I am not giving up on Smyly yet as being a solid starter, but I would move him to the bullpen the last month of the season to get him ready for his role in the post season.

I am not giving up on Smyly yet as being a solid starter, but I would move him to the bullpen the last month of the season to get him ready for his role in the post season.
Oh, I haven't given up on him by any means - he's the back end next year as well - but I don't expect him to contribute much once they bring Robbie back. But maybe I'm wrong about Ray's role in September & October.

I am not giving up on Smyly yet as being a solid starter
No reason to give up on Smyly at all. BP just did a retro draft of 2010 and he was the 15th pick, he's a long-term solution for certain. Young pitchers have their moments of suck, keep in mind he has started 32 ML games, he has a lot to learn.

He's a #3 or #4 starter for a long time, he'll be fine.

Color me skeptical...

Detroit Tigers closer Joe Nathan 'in the zone' after tweaking mechanics for first time in 14-year career

Gillian Van Stratt | gvanstratt@mlive.com

Jul 10, 2014 02:05 PM

DETROIT Joe Nathan has been around the block.

He's seen all baseball has to offer over the course of a 14-year career in the majors.

But in all that time, he's never, up until this season as a Detroit Tiger, had an issue with mechanics.

"It was more do-what-I-do and throw the baseball," he admits.

Then came late-May of this season, when Nathan's numbers as the Tigers' closer began to balloon. From May 21 to June 7, Nathan allowed 12 runs and recorded two blown saves and two losses. During that same stretch, the Tigers went 6-10.

Pitching coach Jeff Jones and bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer scoured the film and watched Nathan carefully. That's when they found something Nathan described as a real "eye opener."

"They did some research and noticed my arm was two inches higher than it's ever been," Nathan said. "And the only way I can do that is by pulling my head towards first base. That's the only way you're going to get your arm even higher, so I knew my head wasn't going towards the target, going towards the plate and everything was kind of out of whack.

"It was more with the alignment and keeping everything towards the target. It was making me have to work harder than I had to. They say drop the arm angle, but for me it was more keeping my head in position, which will naturally bring your arm out and away from your body, which lowers your arm angle a little bit."

The first example of Nathan's tweaked mechanics came in a dominant ninth inning in a 2-1 win against the Kansas City Royals on June 19.

The re-alignment took time to get used to, but since that save, Nathan has had 13 strikeouts and five saves in eight appearances. On Wednesday, he recorded his 18th save of the season with two strikeouts in the ninth inning of a 4-1 win over the NL west leading Dodgers.

"At first, like anything, when you start to change something, it feels awkward," Nathan explained. "I knew there was more zip behind (my pitches), I knew there was more whip in my arm and I was locating better. So I knew this was the way to go (since the adjustmant) and if I kept doing it it would get more and more comfortable. Now I'm starting to get a good feel for release point as far as breaking pitches and stuff like that."

He's getting more than a feel. Nathan has increased his swings and misses two-fold. He got 22 swings and misses since his June 19th re-alignment, avergaing 2.75 per inning pitched.

"They just said to kind of lower my arm angle and kind of got me back in line, kept my head towards the target as opposed to pulling off," Nathan said. "For me, it's made all the difference. I feel it that I'm not trying to force things up there, I'm not trying as hard as I was early in the season and it's coming out better. I'm in the zone where I want to be.

"I thank them for spotting something so minor, but yet so huge for me."

Before the re-aligment -- when Nathan was admittedly "out of whack" -- he hadn't multiple strikes due to a swing and miss since May 7.

"This is the first time in my career that I've had to worry about mechanics," Nathan said. "Normally my mechanics have been pretty sound from day one of trying to pitch, from being a shortstop, up to this date. I really never had to worry about arm angles and mechanics.

"But this game is about adjusting and when your arm angle is two inches higher than normal, that's an eye opener. Two inches is a huge deal when you're talking about releasing a baseball. It was time for a change and I'm glad they picked it up."

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

Drew Smyly (4-8, 3.89 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Royals: 3-1, 2.16 ERA

Kansas City Royals

Jeremy Guthrie (5-7, 4.02 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 8-5, 3.92 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Austin Jackson, CF (5 for 27, .185, 2B, HR, 8 SOs)

2. Ian Kinsler, 2B (12 for 34, .353, 2 2Bs, 3B)

3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (14 for 43, .326, 3 HRs, 9 RBIs, 5 BBs, 8 SOs)

4. J.D. Martinez, LF (4 for 12, .333, 2B, 2 HRs)

5. Torii Hunter, DH (12 for 40, .300, 3 2Bs)

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B (1 for 3, 2B)

7. Alex Avila, C (7 for 26, .269, 2 2Bs, 3 HRs, 9 RBIs)

8. Eugenio Suarez, SS (0 for 2, SO)

9. Don Kelly, RF (4 for 18, .222)

Kansas City Royals

1. Lorenzo Cain, RF (2 for 4)

2. Eric Hosmer, 1B (3 for 15, 2B)

3. Salvador Perez, C (1 for 4, HR)

4. Danny Valencia, 3B (1 for 5)

5. Omar Infante, 2B (1 for 6)

6. Billy Butler, DH (6 for 11, .545, 2B)

7. Raul Ibanez, LF (1 for 2, 2B)

8. Alcides Escobar, SS (3 for 14, .214, 2B)

9. Jarrod Dyson, CF (1 for 4, 3 SOs)

GAME NOTES

-- It might seem strange that Danny Valencia is hitting fourth against the Tigers when Billy Butler, who is 6 for 11 against Tigers left-hander Drew Smyly, is batting sixth. Valencia is batting .358 with a .903 OPS against left-handers in 53 at-bats.

-- Victor Martinez remains out of the lineup with right side soreness. Torii Hunter will bat fifth and be the designated hitter. Don Kelly is starting in right field. Rajai Davis is not in the starting lineup.

-- Left-hander Jason Vargas had been scheduled to start Sunday in the series finale with the Tigers, but he was placed on the disabled list Thursday after having an appendectomy a day earlier. Left-hander Bruce Chen will start in his place.

-- The forecast calls for temperatures in the low 80s for first pitch and falling into the high 70s by the end of the game tonight. That's actually reasonably cool for Kansas City in July.

Going into tonight...

RS for Tigers SP (AL rank) - 80 IP min

JV 5.42 (3)

MS 4.84 (16)

AS 4.80 (18)

RP 4.47 (23)

DS 3.79 (43)

Channeling his inner-Leyland ...15-2 lead, bottom of 7th, Smyly at a 97 pitch count - and Ausmus sends him back out. :loco: Interesting that 11 Detroit batters all had hits and scored a run.

I'm hoping the Tigers get to the KC starter early tonight - their relievers threw a lot of pitches last night and a couple of them are probably unavailable.

I think that game against the Dodgers where we went down 5-0 in the first and came back and destroyed them was a major turning point. We had just lost three in a row to the Rays and it had the feeling we were headed into another slump like we had from mid-May to mid-June. We need to take 2 of the next three against the Royals going into the break.

Wow, it's hard to butcher a ball like Ibanez just did. Wow. :shock:
Ibanez at 42 is getting a little long in the tooth to be playing in the field. That was a play I see in my softball league.

Really enjoying watching Kinsler play day in and day out. I had him in FBB before and knew he was good at the plate with Texas, I did not know how slick he was in the field though. So much smoother than Infante.

Just to prove the point that there's no such thing as a "hot streak" - the argument being it's nothing more than parsed data from two artificial end points - the Tigers are playing .712 ball this year.

42-17 is impressive in any era:

• 27-12 .692
  • 15-5 .750
Let's just forget that other month (9-20 from Cleveland to Cleveland -1) ever happened. "Broken planes and zubaz".is the new water under the bridge.

Just keep up the .712 rate and they'll be challenging the club record 104 wins of the '84 team.

So what's the odds of moving an outfielder for yet another bullpen piece? I would think everyone but JDM at this point would be on the block.
selling Martinez may be a great idea, depending on how the market values him.
Rumored they are shopping Rajai. I can't imagine he holds much value as a trade chip, would rather keep him. But I get it, if you're keeping JDM - why wouldn't you? - Davis probably has the most market value of any of our crappy outfielders.

So what's the odds of moving an outfielder for yet another bullpen piece? I would think everyone but JDM at this point would be on the block.
Rumored they are shopping Rajai. I can't imagine he holds much value as a trade chip, would rather keep him. But I get it, if you're keeping JDM - why wouldn't you? - Davis probably has the most market value of any of our crappy outfielders.
I'd rather get rid of Ajax (shopping him around as a "leadoff" hitter?) but you are right in there probably being more interest in the speedy Davis.

BobbyLayne said:
Davis brings something we have not seen in years, chaos on the bases. Everytime he gets on base I stop to watch the TV. Everytime Jackson is up I never even watch.

BobbyLayne said:
Davis brings something we have not seen in years, chaos on the bases. Everytime he gets on base I stop to watch the TV. Everytime Jackson is up I never even watch.
Good point. I like when he gets on as a leadoff hitter and force their pitcher to divide his attention between him & our 2-4 hitters.

BobbyLayne said:
yep, the problem is Jackson is the only good center fielder. Right now I can't imagine he gets us an upgrade since any gains will be offset by what we lose on defense. Given what Martinez is doing right now I can't see us trading him, but he is going to come back to earth at some point. I wonder what the market would value him at right now.I'd rather deal from the minors though, if at all.

AJAX and Cabrera will be better in the second half than they were in the first, the Martinezs will be the opposite. Castellanos seems to be progressively improving and if Suarez can hit .250ish then there really isn't a hole in the line-up. Hunter and AJAX are extremely streaky, as is Davis who really should only be playing vs lefties and then when he's hot (as well as a late inning PR).

Dirks coming back will be a nice boost and will give the team a pretty deep bench. If it's Dirks, AJAX and JD you have Davis and Hunter off the bench. If it's Davis, AJAX,and JD then you have two good bats in Dirks and JD off the bench. I don't think that's a crappy OF at all, I think that's a pretty good OF both offensively and defensively as it has power, speed and range. One of the big issues the past few years is the bench was completely terrible, it's not this year.

I wish Kelly could play SS so they could just drop Romine. Maybe they will anyway.

11 games over, and got a nice 6 game cushion in the L column with games in hand.

Hunter is horrible. Sad to see, guy has had a great career. But he should be relegated to pinch hitting. When is Andy back?

JD's hit streak over at 14, but got his 32nd RBI on a SF. .310/.343/.627 on the year, and Kinsler's monster series while sleeping at home gives us five .300 hitters in the lineup.

ETA: 4. Also, drunk.
Hunter got one last good contract to finish his career. And it will be finished after this season. What is troubling now if that Hunter is shaky on every ball hit his way now.
It's shocking how bad he is; his fWAR was 166th out of 167 AL Outfielders before last night's game.

I was looking Rtot this morning. It combines four other fielding stats to try and determine total defensive contribution; essentially, total runs saved from defensive play.

Tiger Outfielders:

LF: (-10) Rajai Davis - 79th out of 80 ranked players.

CF: (-15) Austin Jackson is 55th, dead last.

RF: (-10) Hunter is 80th out of 80.

J.D. Martinez is (-1) in only 19 games in LF.

3B: (-12) Castellanos is 57th out of 58 in Rtot, and his RF/9 is 44th.

Gets better from there. Suarez is middle of the pack and improving, Avila is 2nd, and both Cabrera and Kinsler lead their position in Rtot.
Let's update the Rtot stats, looking only at regulars. We'll arbitrarily define that as 40 positional games or more.

RF Hunter (-22) ranks 14th - DFL

CF Jackson (-17) ranks 15th - DFL

LF Davis (-11) ranks 11th out of 13

JDM only has 25 GS as a 7 but his numbers are respectable.

When you have the worst RF and the worst CF in the entire league, that meets my criteria for lousy OF. Gets better when Andy comes back as he was our best defensive OF last year.

But agree with DD about his assessment of the OF at the plate. Hunter has been red hot the last 10 days. They've all had stretches where they have contributed, even Kelly. I'm not in favor of moving Davis - and said as much - was just reporting he's the one being shopped.

Fielding metrics are marginal at best to get a true representation of a players ability. Peralta is an UZR monster, Andrelton Simmons is currently fifth in defensive measurements at SS, Adam Jones is at the top of some fielding composites, near the bottom of others. AJAX won the fielding bible best CF two years ago, he's very good out there. There is still too much subjectivity in fielding for my taste, I think the eye test still prevails. Simmons is possibly the best SS since Ozzie Smith or Vizquel, he's at least of their ilk. I can see that with my own two eyes.

Next year my friends we get a true measurement. The guy who invented pitch f/x has been working on a fielding f/x using ballpark placed sensors that will track trajectory, lateral and vertical player movements, closing speed, all that. He said he'll be done next summer, can't wait.

Suarez made a nice stab with the infield in - seems like everyday he makes a nice play that reminds you he belongs.

New English had this assessment of his first month in the bigs yesterday:

We can be technical and acknowledge that Eugenio Suarez played his first game slightly over a month ago and that he currently has 29 MLB games played, neither of which equate to a month, but stop being so pedantic and getting hung up on titles of blog posts. Thats not a good look on you. What is looking good, however, is Suarezs stat line through 100 or so plate appearances. What do we know so far?

Lets start with the basic numbers. In 102 plate appearances hes hitting .273/.347/.432 (.346 wOBA, 117 wRC+) with a 9.8 BB% and 24.5 K%. Hes at 0.3 BsR and -1 DRS and 0.2 UZR. The whole package is a tidy 0.8 fWAR in about a month of work. If Suarez was exactly this player for a full season, thats good for about 4.5 WAR. Suarez probably isnt that good, but thats totally okay. Not many players are that good.

The scouting report on Suarezs defense was that he was good enough to stay up the middle and has the arm for short. Hes no Iglesias, but the predominant opinion is that he can handle the position. Hes not an elite runner, but hes not lumbering either. Both of these reports line up with what weve seen visually and in the numbers so far.

So the question with Suarez is the batduh. Its always the hit tool. Scouts always liked his approach and the difference between a good player and a utility profile was going to be how well he squared up the pitches he decided to attack. So far the walks look about right and the strikeouts are only a touch above what youd think for a guy that gets into deep counts without an elite contact ability.

If you look at his minor league batting lines, youre expecting right around the player youre seeing right now. About 9-10 BB%, 20+ K%, high BABIP, decent pop for a SS. A guys stats probably shouldnt translate directly, but the shape of the line is plausible.

The projections arent buying it yet and see him as a .290 wOBA guy instead of .340. Thats a world of difference. One is a fringe starter/back up and one is a star. I think the projections are too pessimistic here, but thats their nature. I dont think .340 is very likely but if hes a .320 wOBA guy that would be terrific. He has enough power, discipline, and BABIP skills for that to work for me. I wouldnt expect a great bat, but I think its good enough to keep him in a starting role, although long term thats probably at 3B or LF for the Tigers, but a lot can happen.

Granted, these are just initial impressions, but I think Suarez can handle himself in the majors. Well revisit this again once weve had a longer look, but given what the Tigers were trying at SS for the first two months, this is fantastic.

Wow, huge break for the Tigers there. Not sure that was the right call at all though.
The ump called it right away but I agree, did not look like the correct call when watching the replays.
I always ask myself, would I have been pissed if that had happened to Detroit? The answer here was yes. You're right though, he called it right away like he saw it all along. Not sure what he was looking at though.

Users who are viewing this thread