What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:
One way of looking at failing to resign Max is it frees up more money to resign Miggy- which is a far more important signing IMO. If he hits the market I highly doubt he resigns with Det.
I wouldn't want to be one signing checks for a 33-38 YO Miggy.
I think Cabrera will be just fine well into his 30s, guy can hit like no one else. Will he be worth $30 million a year then? Maybe not, but the Tigers have no choice but to keep him. They began negotiating with him after Scherzer decided he'd like to hit the open market, maybe a 7/220? He's going to be the highest paid player until Trout signs a long-term deal, and he'll be worth the money for most of his contract if he's healthy IMO.
I would love to see it, but after watching that body appear to start breaking down (Yes. I know he still had an OPS north of 1.000) last year, I think there's reason to be concerned

Hopefully the move to first slows down the wear and tear.

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:
One way of looking at failing to resign Max is it frees up more money to resign Miggy- which is a far more important signing IMO. If he hits the market I highly doubt he resigns with Det.
I think Cabrera will be just fine well into his 30s, guy can hit like no one else. Will he be worth $30 million a year then? Maybe not, but the Tigers have no choice but to keep him. They began negotiating with him after Scherzer decided he'd like to hit the open market, maybe a 7/220? He's going to be the highest paid player until Trout signs a long-term deal, and he'll be worth the money for most of his contract if he's healthy IMO.
I would love to see it, but after watching that body appear to start breaking down (Yes. I know he still had an OPS north of 1.000) last year, I think there's reason to be concerned

How many long term big money deal actually work out for the team?

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

I look at guys like Konerko and see a guy who can flat out hit, and those things carry through with age. Big Hurt, Manny, Bagwell...power hitters who are great hitters first usually have success well into their 30s.

It doesn't matter, Detroit has to re-sign Cabrera. The fans would go ape #### if the Tigers let him go, he and Verlander are the franchise.

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

How do you think the first $130 million we have spent on Cabrera has fared?

Jeter, Manny Ramirez, and Helton contracts all worked out well for their teams. It happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

Jeter, Manny Ramirez, and Helton contracts all worked out well for their teams. It happens.
Helton's deal was terrible for the Rockies. The specifics are buried in a number of extensions, deferral and re-negotiations but he signed his big deal in 2001 before his age 27 season. He earned his pay for the first four years (two of which were bought out arb years at a lower salary) before the wheels came off. By the time the really big money kicked in 2006, he was 32 and in decline. He never again hit 20 HR and only had one 4+ WAR season in his last eight years with the club. During those eight years, the Rockies paid him $115M with another $13M in deferred money still outstanding.

Cabrera's next deal will start at his age 33 season. I'd be very afraid. He's a great hitter and has been durable, but he's human. The PED era distorted the normal aging curve. Nutrition and conditioning are better than ever before but I still think expecting (and paying for) all-star production beyond age 35 isn't wise.

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

Helton's deal was terrible for the Rockies. The specifics are buried in a number of extensions, deferral and re-negotiations but he signed his big deal in 2001 before his age 27 season. He earned his pay for the first four years (two of which were bought out arb years at a lower salary) before the wheels came off. By the time the really big money kicked in 2006, he was 32 and in decline. He never again hit 20 HR and only had one 4+ WAR season in his last eight years with the club. During those eight years, the Rockies paid him $115M with another $13M in deferred money still outstanding.

Cabrera's next deal will start at his age 33 season. I'd be very afraid. He's a great hitter and has been durable, but he's human. The PED era distorted the normal aging curve. Nutrition and conditioning are better than ever before but I still think expecting (and paying for) all-star production beyond age 35 isn't wise.
That's why you give him a deal that includes the next two years, then you spread the risk out over less time in his younger peak years.

As far as Helton, he packed the seats and was always an above average player. He was the face of that franchise and signing guys to contracts in baseball is more than just what goes on between the lines, it is a business decision that impacts the whole franchise. If they can get a deal done now for seven years, I think it's a good move. He'll earn more than what he gets in salary for three of those years for sure, then we'll see. He's not getting Cano's ten years, but he'll get more per year than anyone. I'd guess 7/$200mm.

And I would rather spend the money on the best hitter in baseball than on Scherzer, and I'm the biggest Scherzer homer ever. I was begging the Tigers to re-sign him last year before Verlander, knowing Verlander would definitely come back and that Scherzer was due to bust out. Signing Miggy to a deal after next year isn't the best idea though, for either party. I think they work this out soon.

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

That's why you give him a deal that includes the next two years, then you spread the risk out over less time in his younger peak years.

As far as Helton, he packed the seats and was always an above average player. He was the face of that franchise and signing guys to contracts in baseball is more than just what goes on between the lines, it is a business decision that impacts the whole franchise. If they can get a deal done now for seven years, I think it's a good move. He'll earn more than what he gets in salary for three of those years for sure, then we'll see. He's not getting Cano's ten years, but he'll get more per year than anyone. I'd guess 7/$200mm.

And I would rather spend the money on the best hitter in baseball than on Scherzer, and I'm the biggest Scherzer homer ever. I was begging the Tigers to re-sign him last year before Verlander, knowing Verlander would definitely come back and that Scherzer was due to bust out. Signing Miggy to a deal after next year isn't the best idea though, for either party. I think they work this out soon.
Save that face of the franchise BS for the schmucks

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

Save that face of the franchise BS for the schmucks
Gopher State is usually 3rd or 4th in posts in the Tigers threads. I'm writing to my audience, guy.

Limp Ditka said:
skillz said:

It does happen and I do think Cabrera will hit until he is 40. Was talking more about Max. Max will be 31 starting next season and will his future be better than his past?

Tigers trade Lombardozzi for Alex Gonzalez, who is 37 and had an OPS of .433 last year. Is Dombrowski drunk?

Gopher State said:
Limp Ditka said:
This should be fun

Max Scherzer's agent Scott Boras told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Tigers rejected a contract offer from the right-hander's camp and not the other way around.
The Tigers released a statement Sunday saying Scherzer had rejected a "substantial, long-term contract offer," but Boras claims the team was the one that actually turned down Scherzer's extension offer. Boras isn't usually one to be believed, but that would actually make more sense than the idea of Scherzer rejecting something close to the $25.7 million AAV Justin Verlander got from the club, which ESPN's Jayson Stark had reported. Either way, the talks have broken off and Scherzer appears headed to a large payday next winter on the open market.
Tigers need to open the check book on this one. Pay Max what he wants, and just raise the price of pizza's and beer.
I like the way you think. If it gets too expensive, eat before you get to the game & don't forget your flask. It will help keep you warm better than that "ice cold beer" will in these March & April games.

Tigers trade Lombardozzi for Alex Gonzalez, who is 37 and had an OPS of .433 last year. Is Dombrowski drunk?
Dombrowski is auditioning for Selig's job. :shrug:

When I first heard the Tigers acquired Gonzalez, I assumed he was a waiver claim. I never thought they'd have to give up a player to get him.

Had Alex Gonzalez last year in BTTF. Shocking he not only didn't retire, but now potentially will start for one of the AL favorites. I'm seriously stunned.

Makes no sense, they already had Worth, Perez, and Romine. Now we have four shortstops who can't hit.
The Fister trade keeps getting worse. If the Tigers had waited a week the Baltimore would have released Gonzalez. Just heard on the MLB Network that Gonzalez was not going to make the team heading north. I finally got to like Lombo and he is gone already.

They could have kept Fister and picked up Romine and A-Gon for nothing. Nice deal for Baltimore. They invite a old non rostered player to camp and before he was going to be cut they turn him into a nice utility player.

Hindsight is 20-20 but Peralta probably could have been extended at 3-25 before FA and been pretty much a high end utility guy for 3B-SS-LF.

Listening to the radio it was reported that the Tigers were not even in the same ballpark as Boras. Tigers offered 6-144 million. It was reported that Boras wants to "start" at 8-200 million.

Listening to the radio it was reported that the Tigers were not even in the same ballpark as Boras. Tigers offered 6-144 million. It was reported that Boras wants to "start" at 8-200 million.
That seems like a lot for Stephen Drew :shrug:

I'm willing to wait and see if this Fister deal works out, but the trade today makes zero sense to me. Danny Worth isn't the same thing as Alex Gonzalez? I don't know, things are a mess it seems.

I'm willing to wait and see if this Fister deal works out, but the trade today makes zero sense to me. Danny Worth isn't the same thing as Alex Gonzalez? I don't know, things are a mess it seems.
They must not have been too impressed with Lombo this spring to dump him in basically lateral move.

Dombroski got a hard on for a prospect and went tunnel vision. Whether it pans out or not, dumb trade.

Dombroski got a hard on for a prospect and went tunnel vision. Whether it pans out or not, dumb trade.
Not really. The whole point of the trade is getting another Fister under team control for the next six years or so. If he's a #3/#4 starter, it will work out well. Fister has this year and next on his contract then he'll get an Anibal-sized deal, something the Tigers would never be able to afford with so many guys coming up on contracts. I think it's a decent move, but Ray doesn't seem like a prospect that is on a lot of radars.

Not really. The whole point of the trade is getting another Fister under team control for the next six years or so. If he's a #3/#4 starter, it will work out well. Fister has this year and next on his contract then he'll get an Anibal-sized deal, something the Tigers would never be able to afford with so many guys coming up on contracts. I think it's a decent move, but Ray doesn't seem like a prospect that is on a lot of radars.
I evaluate trades at the time they happen, Dom paid Oakland Hills prices for an interesting development outside Pontiac. That's dumb. It could end up turning a small profit, but is more likely to go belly up and will just be frustrating to deal with while we wait and see.

I understand that they Tigers had an over abundance of starting pitchers and they had an extremely high payroll dedicated to them. It made sense to get rid of one of them. But the trade sucked from day one and it sucks even worse now. I think he was just in the mood to make a deal and made a decision too quick. Sometimes it works, sometimes it bites you in the ####.

After all this, the Tigers should have just stuck with Danny Worth.

If they keep Coke and pay him $1.9 million.... :wall:

I evaluate trades at the time they happen, Dom paid Oakland Hills prices for an interesting development outside Pontiac. That's dumb. It could end up turning a small profit, but is more likely to go belly up and will just be frustrating to deal with while we wait and see.
Ok, well you're doing it wrong then.

No different that the way he evaluates the fate of missing commercial airliners.

Omar Vizuel recommended Alex Gonzalez, so who the #### knows. I know we didn't think much of Lombardozzi, still weird since Caesar Izturis and others have been released in the past days, and they seem like the same player. Gonzalez would have been in Baltimore for opening day though becuase of the Machado injury, so it's not like the O's were going to cut him or anything. Buck Showalter said as much.

so you only evaluate anything with the advantage of hind sight?

so you only evaluate anything with the advantage of hind sight?
No, but I have the sense to realize things might be better or worse later. Like trading Turner and Brantly for Sanchez, loved it at first but also realized that over time it could be a net loss.

I never said the trade could not turn out well, I even said above it could turn a profit, at the time it was made it was the wrong move though. If that's the best offer, hold steady until a fair offer is made.

There's certainly the possibility that Fister-Ray could eventually end up with postive WAR on the Tigers' side but I think it's kind of an odd trade for two teams in win now mode. If anything, Detroit is even more win now due to team age and contractual issues. Maybe Dombrowski thinks they have enough talent to reload on the fly while still making their run. He knows the organization better than I do but the spring injuries have exposed a lack of depth at some key positions.

On a positive note Castellanos had a great spring. Heard them talking about him on the MLB Network saying they really think he has the makings to be a very good player. Negative note Ian Krol did not do much at all.

On a positive note Castellanos had a great spring. Heard them talking about him on the MLB Network saying they really think he has the makings to be a very good player. Negative note Ian Krol did not do much at all.
It'll really help if he does provide solid production this year. With the issues at SS, we can't afford problems at 3B as well. :fingerscrossed:

10/292.

not high enough.
Hometown discount. :thumbup:
Cabrera had to finish his career a Tiger. The best hitter and run producer of the modern era is here to stay.

So glad we will not have to hear all the pending free agency talk next spring. Tiger should have locked up Max a year ago as well. Probably could have got him at 6-100 before last season.

Congrats Tiger fans for your team locking up the best hitter of this generation for the rest of his career. Seriously think it's a great deal. Excited Miggy will be sticking around the D.

Users who are viewing this thread