Doctor Detroit

***Detroit Tigers thread: One less win in 2018 thanks to #######s in NYC***

9,049 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, IMAX 3D said:

Some of their top prospects and yes

Greene should bring some trade value 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:53 PM, IMAX 3D said:
On 7/3/2018 at 5:39 PM, jon_mx said:

So what could the Doger's give to get Fulmer and should the Tigers do it?  

Some of their top prospects and yes

Again I’ll ask, which prospects should they be targeting in Dodgers system?  Yusniel Diaz?  Christian Santana? How much is enough Dan? 

There are a lot of problems with trading Fulmer now.

1. There are less buyers this year than there has been in a long time. Among them are the Phillies, Braves, and Brewers who all would be hesitant to trade mid rebuild. 

The Braves system is deep but it’s deep in pitching, which the Tigers don’t need. The Phillies have more hitters but guys like Moniak have been duds. 

2. The one attractive thing for potential trade partners is 4 more controllable years of Fulmer, but that’s also the reason not to deal him. 

3. Take a look at all the prospects the Tigers have traded away the last decade plus. Robbie Ray might be the best and he’s not that good this year. Andrew Miller, Maybin, and Gorkys Hernandez have had to go to other teams to have productive careers. Guys like Jacob Turner, Jair Jurrjens, and Jake Thompson have burned out or never achieved close to their potential. Knebal is a really good reliever but meh. 

4. They don’t need pitching. Faedo, Manning, Mize, Perez, Burrows, and Funkhouser represents a lot of recent investment and a great deal of upside. Manning and Perez probably have #2 upside but no aces. Still three of these guys should be in rotation by 2020. 

Meanwhile the system still lacks impact bats. Stewart sure, but he’s almost 25 now and hasn’t sniffed the majors. Parades has most upside, and after a bad start is hitting now, but he’s two years away. Cameron and Lugo could be good, could be. Hill stinks and may never be anything more than a AAAA guy. 

They’d need to get back hitters that are close to majors. Teams hate trading those guys, especially when there are 20 teams selling starting pitching. 

If they are gonna trade him they should wait until the offseason unless someone is throwing a really elite hitting prospect back at a minimum. 

9 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Again I’ll ask, which prospects should they be targeting in Dodgers system?  Yusniel Diaz?  Christian Santana? How much is enough Dan? 

There are a lot of problems with trading Fulmer now.

1. There are less buyers this year than there has been in a long time. Among them are the Phillies, Braves, and Brewers who all would be hesitant to trade mid rebuild. 

The Braves system is deep but it’s deep in pitching, which the Tigers don’t need. The Phillies have more hitters but guys like Moniak have been duds. 

2. The one attractive thing for potential trade partners is 4 more controllable years of Fulmer, but that’s also the reason not to deal him. 

3. Take a look at all the prospects the Tigers have traded away the last decade plus. Robbie Ray might be the best and he’s not that good this year. Andrew Miller, Maybin, and Gorkys Hernandez have had to go to other teams to have productive careers. Guys like Jacob Turner, Jair Jurrjens, and Jake Thompson have burned out or never achieved close to their potential. Knebal is a really good reliever but meh. 

4. They don’t need pitching. Faedo, Manning, Mize, Perez, Burrows, and Funkhouser represents a lot of recent investment and a great deal of upside. Manning and Perez probably have #2 upside but no aces. Still three of these guys should be in rotation by 2020. 

Meanwhile the system still lacks impact bats. Stewart sure, but he’s almost 25 now and hasn’t sniffed the majors. Parades has most upside, and after a bad start is hitting now, but he’s two years away. Cameron and Lugo could be good, could be. Hill stinks and may never be anything more than a AAAA guy. 

They’d need to get back hitters that are close to majors. Teams hate trading those guys, especially when there are 20 teams selling starting pitching. 

If they are gonna trade him they should wait until the offseason unless someone is throwing a really elite hitting prospect back at a minimum. 

Agree hitting prospects should be the priority.  Maybe they give up a Verdugo or Ruiz as part of the package.  Teams do dumb stuff when they have a shot at a title

again I’m not saying you give him away for nothing, but if I can get 3-4 good prospects back I’ll gladly give up an average pitcher for a chance at landing a future star

1 hour ago, IMAX 3D said:

Agree hitting prospects should be the priority.  Maybe they give up a Verdugo or Ruiz as part of the package.  Teams do dumb stuff when they have a shot at a title

again I’m not saying you give him away for nothing, but if I can get 3-4 good prospects back I’ll gladly give up an average pitcher for a chance at landing a future star

No one is trading a future star for an “average pitcher.” So why even bother? 

The single thing people forget is not whether or not ?, but for WHO?

How Castellanos wasn’t the Tigers rep is confounding. He’s 4th in the AL in hits, 15th in OPS, and was really the only deserving player. 

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

How Castellanos wasn’t the Tigers rep is confounding. He’s 4th in the AL in hits, 15th in OPS, and was really the only deserving player. 

You beat me to it, plus for this season at least he's the face of the franchise. Jimenez also got the nod over Snell who leads the AL in era and is 2nd in wins. Snell will most likely get on the team when 1 of the other pitchers declines due to injury or pitching before the AS game. 

This offense is offensive, and @bicycle_seat_sniffer wants to part with the only good bat we have. Cool story. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

This offense is offensive, and @bicycle_seat_sniffer wants to part with the only good bat we have. Cool story. 

Dude can’t play defense 

13 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Gotta build for 2035 bro.

2 people like this

HR's in back-to-back games from Stewart in Lakeland.  Hopefully he's in Indy tonight then in Detroit for the opener vs. Boston a week from tomorrow.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

HR's in back-to-back games from Stewart in Lakeland.  Hopefully he's in Indy tonight then in Detroit for the opener vs. Boston a week from tomorrow.

Tigers could use another hitter.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:16 AM, IMAX 3D said:

Dude can’t play defense 

Put him in LF and he’s fine. You’re throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

12 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Tigers could use another hitter.

Yeah this is ridiculous. Castellanos has an OPS 100 points higher than the next regular (Goodrum) and Candelario hasn’t hit in over a month. 

The burning Stewart’s eligibility argument on a bad team is dumb. He’s almost 25, we’re past super two, so he wont be eligible for free agency until he’s 32. 

Let him get acclimated to ML pitching now, and then next year we have a core of Nick, Miggy, Stewart, and Candy. Add a good vet bat and hope this Goodrum production isn’t a mirage, and you have the makings of a pretty good lineup. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah this is ridiculous. Castellanos has an OPS 100 points higher than the next regular (Goodrum) and Candelario hasn’t hit in over a month. 

The burning Stewart’s eligibility argument on a bad team is dumb. He’s almost 25, we’re past super two, so he wont be eligible for free agency until he’s 32. 

Let him get acclimated to ML pitching now, and then next year we have a core of Nick, Miggy, Stewart, and Candy. Add a good vet bat and hope this Goodrum production isn’t a mirage, and you have the makings of a pretty good lineup. 

Whoa no... gotta get VMart at bats so he can develop.

11 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Whoa no... gotta get VMart at bats so he can develop.

They should have VMart bunt more so he can foil the shift.

1 person likes this

Tigers spanked the Sox today

11 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Tigers spanked the Sox today

Cool

Credit Avila for Fiers, Liriano, and Martin. All those guys worked out on one year deals. 

Gonna need more of those the next two years. 

1 person likes this

####ty news from twitter - 

RHP Kyle Funkhouser recently sustained a fracture to his 5th metatarsal in his right foot after turning his ankle on an uneven sidewalk while walking home after a game. The injury will require surgery & we expect him to make a full recovery & be ready for Spring Training in 2019.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, IMAX 3D said:

Dude it’s the middle of May.  This team will be 10 games under 500 in July 

44-61 and 13.5 GB as of July 28th  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Went to Erie to see the Seawolves and Rubber Ducks last night. You guys got something with Paredes there. 

You also have Josh Lester - he’s built “country strong” and he can rake. Everything he hit last night was scorched. I liked watching him hit. 

Edited by Tom Servo
1 person likes this

We now have a top ten farm system, heading toward top five. Need more hitters. I would think Martin and Fiers will be dealt at some point, not necessarily by Wednesday. 

Yes Paredes is good. Started slow but ended up with 33 extra base hits in High A, and is now one of the youngest players in the Eastern League at 19. 

6 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

44-61 and 13.5 GB as of July 28th  

45-61 after beating the 4th best team in the AL. 

15 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

45-61 after beating the 4th best team in the AL. 

Cool story, brah. 

Trammell and Morris....great day for the Tigers.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So if the franchise has played it perfect the past 4 years here would be the lineup and rotation. Keep in mind all but two would still be under contract: 

C McCann and some FA

1B: Castellanos 

2B: Kinsler

3B: E Suarez 

SS: Iglesias 

LF: upton

CF: Martin/Jones

RF: JD

DH: miggy 

starters: Scherzer, JV, Ray , Fulmer, Fiers

closer: Knebel 

set-up; JJ, some FAs

JD and Scherzer obviously would have this payroll in the luxury tax territory, but I was just thinking about all the assets they’d have this year that would still be under contract. That’s a 95 win team. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit

13 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Lou will get his due.  

In comparison to others on that list and of his playing days peers....I hope so!!

Tigers trade Martin for the Indians #3 prospect Willi Castro. 

Castro is in AA and has been ok there. He looked great in the Carolina league last year so there is some reason for optimism, and he just turned 21 so plenty of room to grow. 

Thats about as good as to be expected for Martin 

Castro is a SS

8 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Tigers trade Martin for the Indians #3 prospect Willi Castro. 

Castro is in AA and has been ok there. He looked great in the Carolina league last year so there is some reason for optimism, and he just turned 21 so plenty of room to grow. 

Thats about as good as to be expected for Martin 

So tell me what I can expect from Martin?

4 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

He’s a great fielder and he can steal bases. He’s hit well this year but that could end anytime. I think he’s a good platoon guy for you. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

He's not Tyler Naquin.

Indians fans on MLB trade rumors thought Castro would be in a deal for a more substantial player. 

Tigers sent SP Dowd back to secure the deal, which I don’t mind. Outside the Braves we have the best SP prospects, so trading from a position of strength makes sense. 

Thats why I don’t think they are in complete rebuild mode, the value of some of these prospect pitchers is quite high. They need hitters though, and the more Shortstops the merrier! 

This Martin trade = Stewart time?

10 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

This Martin trade = Stewart time?

I hope so, it’s way past time. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Indians fans on MLB trade rumors thought Castro would be in a deal for a more substantial player. 

Tigers sent SP Dowd back to secure the deal, which I don’t mind. Outside the Braves we have the best SP prospects, so trading from a position of strength makes sense. 

Thats why I don’t think they are in complete rebuild mode, the value of some of these prospect pitchers is quite high. They need hitters though, and the more Shortstops the merrier! 

Indians Twitter is pretty much MEH on the trade. I can see the upside here. 

Of course, most of every team's twitter wants to trade for gold ingots and give up expired coupons to Taco Bell.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I hope so, it’s way past time. 

Some clown named Gerber that's raking at a .214 clip in AAA gets the call. Stupid ### organization you're rooting for there. 

Edited by Epic Problem