What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

Well this tourney is dead to me. Only thing left is to root against Nadal.

See you guys at Wimbledon, I don't participate in the clay season.

Sonny Lubick Blowup Doll said:
Master of Past and Present said:
:o Insane stretch winner for the match for Seppi. Didn't think he would even get solid racket on it
Crazy shot. And to close out the biggest match/point of his life.

Roger and Peyton going out the wrong way.
Look, I'm not a peyton manning guy, but when you're still one of the top 5 QB's in the game and take your team to a bye week, that's not really the "wrong way"

nor is being the #2 player in the world and having made the semifinals or better in 3 of your last 5 majors

Going out the wrong way is like Lleyton Hewit... multi-major winner and former #1 player in the world who hasn't been relevant in 10 years and routinely exits majors in the first week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonny Lubick Blowup Doll said:
:o Insane stretch winner for the match for Seppi. Didn't think he would even get solid racket on it
Crazy shot. And to close out the biggest match/point of his life.

Roger and Peyton going out the wrong way.
:shrug: Guys are suppose to lose skills getting older, don't think that is going out the wrong way, just natural progression. The fact he has held it off this long is still impressive.

If he becomes a super douchey attitude guy on the way out, that would be the wrong way to me. Guys shouldn't be expected to exit stage right as soon as they start losing a few more matches.

Holy chit. The Nadal/Anderson match is a nail biter. Both evenly matched and looks like it will go to 5 the way the first set is going. :unsure:

Looked like it but Nadal basically won two sets by saving a handful of break points at 5-5, serving love-40 and not breaking. Immediate break for the set and then trounces him in the second.

Excited to wake up and watch Dimitrov-Murray on DVR, should be a really good match.

Yeah that was quite a turn around. Looked very scary in the first set but now Nadal is fully in the driver's seat. I have to watch these things live. DVR doesn't give the same flavor, especially since I can't wait to find out who won and wind up checking scores. Good thing I'm a night owl!

Nadal is starting to scare me a bit, he was supposed to lose that 2nd round match... but when he avoids that land mine and gains confidence that sucks.

Byrdych will fold to him.... not sure who could get in the semi.. probably murray.... I hope Murray or Djoker can beat him... Djoker had better not let Stan get to him again this year because there is no way Nadal would lose to Stan twice.

this guy has no right to be this far when he has been losing to qualifiers in the warm ups and hasn't played many meaningful matches in months... someone better STEP UP!

Nadal is starting to scare me a bit, he was supposed to lose that 2nd round match... but when he avoids that land mine and gains confidence that sucks.

Byrdych will fold to him.... not sure who could get in the semi.. probably murray.... I hope Murray or Djoker can beat him... Djoker had better not let Stan get to him again this year because there is no way Nadal would lose to Stan twice.

this guy has no right to be this far when he has been losing to qualifiers in the warm ups and hasn't played many meaningful matches in months... someone better STEP UP!
:sadbanana: I thought you were done until Wimbledon? Nadal is impressive isn't he.. :pickle:

Why don't the men play first and the women later so I can sleep if I want too. Could care less about the ladies side of it.. <_<

Cibulkova-Azarenka has been a highly entertaining match
I can see by the score alone, but the only females I follow are the well known ones like Sharipova and the William sisters. I'm into males singles tennis. My hay day was the Andre Agassi/ Pete Sampris competition. I was an Agassi fan. His father is persian so that made it even more entertaining for me. Not to mention all the famous women he dated and married in Brooke. Now he's with Steffi Graff and has faded away for awhile now. :(

Exciting match! Waw was spiraling down from the 3rd set, rallied up in the 4th set to tie 6-6, was down 5-0 in the first tie break, and now has rallied to tie in the tie break 6-6--------------tie again-----------7-7-------8-7 Lopez----8 all-----9-8 Waw------ And Waw wins!

Venus and Serena meet in the semis if they get through the quarters.
Venus is one of those people that seems like she should've retired a few years ago. She's been irrelevant since 2010. Heck, the sisters haven't even had doubles success since 2012 Wimbledon and that was a lone title since 2010 also.

Seems odd to me to see former #1's and champions especially like Lleyton Hewitt, and Venus Williams (in her case there's no way she needs the money... maybe Lleyton does) seemingly be content going out there and generally having little to no success... that doesn't seem like it would be fun to me to compete when you are way WAY past your prime.

Now... maybe this type of run gives her the strength to keep going.. but you have to wonder what her reasons are for continuing other than maybe hanging out with sis on the tour.

I'll think the same of Federer if he gets to the point where he's playing after he's dropped out of the top 10 and gets to the point where significant time has passed without making a slam semi/final.

Venus and Serena meet in the semis if they get through the quarters.
I didn't think Venus would pull it off. She was catching her breath a lot due to her Sjogren's syndrome. I'm happy for her that she's into the quarters. She's an inspiration. She could easily just go away but she loves the sport enough and is showing those who suffer from something that makes it even harder to play that you too can do it.

That would be cool to see the sis's compete against each other. It could very well be the last time we see them go head to head on the court if this happens. On the one hand you are always rooting for your sis and now you have to beat her.

Good! #### the cocky Spaniard.
:confused: Nadal is one of the least cocky guys I've watched, dude has claimed before he shouldn't be the favorite at the French some years.
That's the type of cockiness I hate. Now he's faking an injury.
Faking? He's been injured most of the past year so it's far from unusual to call it faking. You just hate the guy, which I can understand because I hate Federererer like that.

It would be awesome (though I'm premature in thinking about it) for Nadal to make a match out of this.

Think I'm just peeved I'm going to have to work after this dud of a storm.

I just prefer my tennis players to know their limitations. That's why I'm the founding member of the Isner Insanity Crew.

Good! #### the cocky Spaniard.
:confused: Nadal is one of the least cocky guys I've watched, dude has claimed before he shouldn't be the favorite at the French some years.
Apparently Gawain doesn't know Federererer very well. Nadal is far from cocky....
That whole thing about how Rafa can't be friends with guys that beat him. Joker's dad was peeved.
His dad was mad at Federer too, so what?

I'm guessing there will be a lot of not nice opinions out there if you asked the parents of players. Even the players if they are honest. But in that opinion I don't see anything about being cocky so not sure what it means.

Well the 3rd set is becoming a match but I doubt Nadal can pull off winning 3 in a row the way Berdych is playing. Need a miracle here... :(

It would be awesome (though I'm premature in thinking about it) for Nadal to make a match out of this.

Think I'm just peeved I'm going to have to work after this dud of a storm.

I just prefer my tennis players to know their limitations. That's why I'm the founding member of the Isner Insanity Crew.
I guess I just don't understand then, Nadal comes here and says he's not a favorite which to me is knowing he might be limited in his chances to win but you might take that as being cocky. If anyone knows there limitations, it may be Nadal who has had to deal with many injuries including one early in his career he feared he might never get back to his top form. He knows his sports mortality better than almost anyone out there.

I don't see the miracle coming. He did better than I thought he would. Hopefully he comes back strong at his next event.

Now the tournament is a success. Thanks byrd man. I hope Stan repeats or nishikori wins.

Look forward to the American masters in March and then it's crap dirty tennis until late June

Anyone else notice Nadal's hair thinning big time on top? Every time he looked down before the toss it looked like the world's biggest comb over.

CurlyNight said:
Cibulkova-Azarenka has been a highly entertaining match
I can see by the score alone, but the only females I follow are the well known ones like Sharipova and the William sisters.
and even then... :lol: ;)

Anyone else notice Nadal's hair thinning big time on top? Every time he looked down before the toss it looked like the world's biggest comb over.
it's all the roids.

I look forward to the day when he gets the Lance Armstrong treatment and Federer is retroactively awarded an extra WImbledon, AO, and 4 more FO's giving him 23 slams.

it's all the roids.

I look forward to the day when he gets the Lance Armstrong treatment and Federer is retroactively awarded an extra WImbledon, AO, and 4 more FO's giving him 23 slams.
You'd have to give shared titles to all the guys Nadal beat in the forfeited tournaments imo, not just the guy he beat last. Only thing that is fair.

it's all the roids.

You'd have to give shared titles to all the guys Nadal beat in the forfeited tournaments imo, not just the guy he beat last. Only thing that is fair.
I don't think any of those guys were going to beat or even take a set off Federer in any of those finals, so I don't think you have to.

I also think it will be cool to give Djoker 2 more USO's and a couple French Opens, Soderling an FO, Ferrer an FO, an d Byrdych a Wimbledon

I always wanted Ferrerr to get a major so no argument from me there :thumbup:

I just liked the idea of a retired amatuer becoming a major champion overnight for qualifying for the French Open a decade ago.

I always wanted Ferrerr to get a major so no argument from me there :thumbup:

I just liked the idea of a retired amatuer becoming a major champion overnight for qualifying for the French Open a decade ago.
wait though.... i just realized a problem with my system.

in the 2005 French Open Nadal beat Federer in the semis and then some schlep named Marinao Puerta in the final.

Obviously Federer would've pwned that guy.

Same with the 2014 French Open... Nadal played Djoker in the semis.. and he obviously would've crushed Ferrer in the final.

So clearly we've got a lot of things to work out here once they strip all of his titles. Maybe we should just award it to the highest ranking player Nadal beat along the way.

So Federer wins teh 2005, 6, 7, 8, and 11 French Opens

Soderling gets the 2010 French Open

Djokavic gets the 12, 13, 14 French Opens

Federer gets 2008 Wimbledon

Andy Murray gets the 2010 Wimbledon

federer gets the 2009 AO

Djokavic gets the 2011 and 13 USO's

So to summarize: Federer gets 7 additional majors... now he's a 5 time AO winner, 6 time FO champion (also has 2 CYGS's), and an 8 time Wimbledon champion.. also gets probably 2 more seasons as the #1 player in the world and would have like 400 consecutive weeks.

Djokavic gets 3 FO's and 2 USO's and is now a 12 time major champion, he also would probably get another year as #1

Andy Murray gets another Wimbledon

And Robin Soderling has a title.

Seems about right.

it's all the roids.

I don't wish it on Federer because I have nothing against him but the blow up from his fanbase would be epic if we found out the reason Federer was able to have this incredible streak of never missing a major and hardly ever pulling out of tournies was due to HGH/performance enhancing drugs.

Considering recovery is a major reason why some use and he seems to have no problem ever recovering, well, he certainly can't get any more pass than the next guy if playing the what if game of who might be using.

I don't wish it on Federer because I have nothing against him but the blow up from his fanbase would be epic if we found out the reason Federer was able to have this incredible streak of never missing a major and hardly ever pulling out of tournies was due to HGH/performance enhancing drugs.

Considering recovery is a major reason why some use and he seems to have no problem ever recovering, well, he certainly can't get any more pass than the next guy if playing the what if game of who might be using.
I always figured it was his swiss superblood, but HGH is definitely plausible too.

And it wasn't until recently that he started hooking Wawrinka up ;)

it's all the roids.

If Fed was found guilty of PEDs I'd strip him of his majors just like I'd do to Nadal.

My opinion of him would go from Tennis God to schlep just like with Lance Armstrong.

I"m an equal opportunity hater.

Users who are viewing this thread