What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

European Trip Planning (1 Viewer)

Following.

Work trip to Zürich in March.

GF May tag along and we will stretch it out:

- Lucerne - Weekend
- Zürich - 4 days (meetings)
- Warsaw - Weekend Visit to her deployed cousin
- Cadiz - 4 Days vacation (visit good buddy deployed in Rota)
- Gibraltar - 1 day/night
- Tangier - 1 day/night
- Fly home (from Malaga? )

Hoping to nail things down next week.

Currently prepping my house for market with only a vague idea of what's next so should be fun

Wife and I just booked a last minute trip to Amsterdam. We've never been. Kind of a random moment. She was looking for a quick Mexico All Inclusive trip and close to booking, and luckily I started looking up places too. Mexico was like $5k. We were on Costco Travel. I pulled up the Europe section and plugged in the dates and we booked it on the spot....4 nights at a 5 star hotel right on Dam Square, airfare included, $2900.

I went to London over 20 years ago on a college trip, but the wife has never been to Europe. We're both so excited, I hope this is the start of more regular trips like this. We leave Feb 8th.
I love Amsterdam. Rent bikes, enjoy the cafes, go to the museums, try an Indonesian rijsttafel, walk the canals, take a train to the country (tulip farms if in season). Tons do do there.
We're now planning on stopping there as part of a London / Amsterdam / Reykjavik trip. Tentative plan is to arrive in Amsterdam via Ferry from London (per @titusbramble) on a Monday morning. Planning on staying 3 nights before for flying back home via Reykjavik and spending a couple nights there. Will be there with my wife and our two boys (18 & 16). I like the idea of all of the above and getting bikes and touring around the canals. Is there any better or worse area to stay to be able to get around via bike / foot?

We looked at a few different Airbnb properties around the area, one that's further out of town but seems like a nice place and comes with cats which my wife thought was fun:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/124624...share_id=00cb4539-b270-45f6-acbf-c700eeddb4ff
"We have one important condition: you can only rent the house if you are willing to feed our cats. They don't need a lot of care, only some fresh water and food every day. Most of the time they're out in the garden, they just sleep inside the house at night. The cats are very sweet and used to children."

This one also seems cool and seems like more in the city center area but not sure where exactly you'd want to be there:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/103669...share_id=48483c14-825a-4813-bb0d-c41a100c4a45

Or do something crazy and try a houseboat...
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/150381...share_id=19a083a6-224b-4326-9cb5-2e017b0c4f4d

Still looking around and hoping to get some feedback to areas that may be better to look at, thanks!

If we'd be staying longer in a couple of home bases, I like the Airbnb option from what I've seen some people saying but we really haven't used it before. Any advice for specific areas of London and/or Amsterdam or other locations to look for an Airbnb? Any specific advice when looking for one or booking one? TIA!

I haven't been in a few years, but I preferred hotels to AirBnb in London. There's sooooo many hotels there that I think it keeps the prices down. NYC and Boston are much, much more expensive. But, that's only if money is the main consideration. If you prefer to stay in a residential area, I think that's a great idea. I just would not expect to save money. Unless the two kids get their own room? In which case, AirBnb over several days will defintely be cheaper.

If I was placing a family of four in London, assuming they wanted to see the sights and have the most travel/restaurant options:

When you pull up the AirBnb map, use Mayfair/Marleybone/Soho as the center. That is the area that has the most trains/restaurants/shopping. Shepherd's Bush, Maida Vale, Notting Hill, Kensington, Chelsea, Fitzrovia, Hyde Park, Paddington. All these are safe and walkable, and have trains that get you to the center of the city.

Book with hosts that have been on there for a while, and only handle payments through the app. Everything through the app. Check the fees/cleaning fees etc. This place has a nice location, but $380 in extras.
I got a pretty good deal on rooms at the Hilton London Bankside and have Diamond status for the room upgrades and lounge perks.
Hilton London Bankside

Do you think that Southbank / Waterloo area across the Thames is too far out from that city center area?

I got a pretty good deal on rooms at the Hilton London Bankside and have Diamond status for the room upgrades and lounge perks.
Hilton London Bankside

Do you think that Southbank / Waterloo area across the Thames is too far out from that city center area?
Definitely not. You probably are getting a little discount because you are on the 'wrong' side of the river, but that does not matter.

You have three Tube lines right there to get where you need to go, and however you are planning your trip, you could easily have a great day, never getting in a cab or train. Borough Market, The London Eye, The Shard, The Tate Modern, all on foot from your hotel. Plus a quick Jubilee line ride to Buckingham Palace.

So Amsterdam is pretty wild. A few things I wasn't really ready for....

I knew there would be bikes, I didn't realize how aggressive the bike riders would be. I mean, it felt dangerous stepping off the curb at times. Just people everywhere. saying that, we never did rent bikes, it was just too much. We walked and took transit, super easy.

OMG at the amount of people. After about 6pm the streets were so crowded, pretty much everywhere you went it was nearly shoulder to shoulder. Almost a tad bit uncomfortable for us.

No real Dutch cuisine to find which was a tad disappointing. I couldn't do the raw herring. That seemed to be the popular thing. I'm all for jumping in on the culture, but I didn't want to get sick.

4 days was enough for those wondering.

The trip will most likely be about 10 days in the range of late July / early August to fit around work / school requirements. Since this is a first Europe / cultural trip and we've got British / English blood (and only speak English), we figured London should be one of the stops. A natural second stop would be Paris but unfortunately there will be a little event called the Olympics going on that we'd prefer to avoid. Because of this, we're looking for what would be a good second, and maybe third location to visit. One we're currently thinking of is taking a train to Amsterdam.

If you do end up going with Amsterdam, then while the Eurostar is good (albeit becoming excessively expensive if you're not booking way, way out), you might also want to consider taking the overnight ferry over. The obvious pros to this is that you're saving one night's hotel at either expensive end, not killing half a day travelling (you can roll into Amsterdam at around half 10 theoretically), and you can roll up the transfer from London > Harwich, ferry travel and overnight cabin into one purchase. Not quite as good as when NS (Dutch railways) threw in a ticket to any Dutch station so you need to buy that bit to get up to Amsterdam, but still a decent alternative
So funny, sitting next to my wife and mention this ferry and she's initially like "no way". I find the link and send and 15 mins later she's showing me the cabin option she's thinking of staying in. :lmao: Very cool option, like I said, we know nothing so please keep any ideas coming even if they seem obvious to regular international travelers. Thanks!
An obvious day trip from Amsterdam would be Brussels - within a couple of hours on train, book enough in advance and it's fairly reasonably priced

We did Amsterdam just a couple months ago and went to Ghent. Brussels seemed too big for the limited time we had, and Bruges seemed too touristy. Ghent was friggin’ great.

The trip will most likely be about 10 days in the range of late July / early August to fit around work / school requirements. Since this is a first Europe / cultural trip and we've got British / English blood (and only speak English), we figured London should be one of the stops. A natural second stop would be Paris but unfortunately there will be a little event called the Olympics going on that we'd prefer to avoid. Because of this, we're looking for what would be a good second, and maybe third location to visit. One we're currently thinking of is taking a train to Amsterdam.

If you do end up going with Amsterdam, then while the Eurostar is good (albeit becoming excessively expensive if you're not booking way, way out), you might also want to consider taking the overnight ferry over. The obvious pros to this is that you're saving one night's hotel at either expensive end, not killing half a day travelling (you can roll into Amsterdam at around half 10 theoretically), and you can roll up the transfer from London > Harwich, ferry travel and overnight cabin into one purchase. Not quite as good as when NS (Dutch railways) threw in a ticket to any Dutch station so you need to buy that bit to get up to Amsterdam, but still a decent alternative
So funny, sitting next to my wife and mention this ferry and she's initially like "no way". I find the link and send and 15 mins later she's showing me the cabin option she's thinking of staying in. :lmao: Very cool option, like I said, we know nothing so please keep any ideas coming even if they seem obvious to regular international travelers. Thanks!
An obvious day trip from Amsterdam would be Brussels - within a couple of hours on train, book enough in advance and it's fairly reasonably priced

We did Amsterdam just a couple months ago and went to Ghent. Brussels seemed too big for the limited time we had, and Bruges seemed too touristy. Ghent was friggin’ great.
I mean my main reason for suggesting Brussels was a combination of quick enough trains, no need to change, and enough things to do on a day trip. Netherlands/Belgium certainly isn't my area of expertise, only places there I've been to outside of the two cities mentioned are Rotterdam and Eindhoven

I knew there would be bikes, I didn't realize how aggressive the bike riders would be. I mean, it felt dangerous stepping off the curb at times. Just people everywhere. saying that, we never did rent bikes

This was nuts. We did do a countryside bike tour that kept us from the fray that was nice, but no way were we trained for city biking. Madness.

If we'd be staying longer in a couple of home bases, I like the Airbnb option from what I've seen some people saying but we really haven't used it before. Any advice for specific areas of London and/or Amsterdam or other locations to look for an Airbnb? Any specific advice when looking for one or booking one? TIA!

I haven't been in a few years, but I preferred hotels to AirBnb in London. There's sooooo many hotels there that I think it keeps the prices down. NYC and Boston are much, much more expensive. But, that's only if money is the main consideration. If you prefer to stay in a residential area, I think that's a great idea. I just would not expect to save money. Unless the two kids get their own room? In which case, AirBnb over several days will defintely be cheaper.

If I was placing a family of four in London, assuming they wanted to see the sights and have the most travel/restaurant options:

When you pull up the AirBnb map, use Mayfair/Marleybone/Soho as the center. That is the area that has the most trains/restaurants/shopping. Shepherd's Bush, Maida Vale, Notting Hill, Kensington, Chelsea, Fitzrovia, Hyde Park, Paddington. All these are safe and walkable, and have trains that get you to the center of the city.

Book with hosts that have been on there for a while, and only handle payments through the app. Everything through the app. Check the fees/cleaning fees etc. This place has a nice location, but $380 in extras.
Hilton London Bankside

We stayed at that hotel last year. It’s a nice property and we found it pretty convenient for the stuff we wanted to do.

I knew there would be bikes, I didn't realize how aggressive the bike riders would be. I mean, it felt dangerous stepping off the curb at times. Just people everywhere. saying that, we never did rent bikes

This was nuts. We did do a countryside bike tour that kept us from the fray that was nice, but no way were we trained for city biking. Madness.
Glad I'm not alone. Every youtube video we watched made it sound like renting a bike was the first thing you should do. A peaceful stroll along the canals was the best way to see the city...no way. Maybe at 8am. After dark, just forget about it.

Having trouble deciding on a place to stay in Amsterdam. My wife works with a few people that have lived in the area and they recommended the Jordaan area (or the area between Jordaan and Centraal) because it's what most people expect from Amsterdam and lots of canals, bars, and restaurants. They also suggested avoiding staying in the Centraal area or De Wallen area since they're so busy. (Sounds like that's what @jb1020 might have run into there.) They said the Museum Quarter is also a nice area.

This is a nice overview of the areas and this particular traveler's favorites.

With my Hilton status, I went in and booked a placeholder at the Doubletree there that's more on the north end of the De Wallen area.
There's also a Hilton down in the Museum Quarter but that's getting pricier for a couple of rooms for 3 nights.
Still hoping to find a nice Airbnb for a more local experience but not seeing a lot of great options right now.
Totally open to local hotels, BnB's, etc in better areas as well.

For people that have spent time in Amsterdam, where did you spend the most time?
What areas did you enjoy the most? What areas start to get "too far away" to be convenient?
@McBokonon
@titusbramble

Thanks!

I was only in Amsterdam for the one day for the football so can't help massively. Was going to have a revisit in 2020 but changed that to Prague instead

Following.

Work trip to Zürich in March.

GF May tag along and we will stretch it out:

- Lucerne - Weekend
- Zürich - 4 days (meetings)
- Warsaw - Weekend Visit to her deployed cousin
- Cadiz - 4 Days vacation (visit good buddy deployed in Rota)
- Gibraltar - 1 day/night
- Tangier - 1 day/night
- Fly home (from Malaga? )

Hoping to nail things down next week.

Currently prepping my house for market with only a vague idea of what's next so should be fun

House is under contract.

Taking off for Zurich on this trip on the 16th.

Closing online on the 29th.

Returning home on the 1st.

Gotta be out by the 12th.

Spending most of June in Spain. Arrive in Barcelona for a couple nights, off to Madrid for a few nights, San Sebastian for a few nights, two nights in Zaragosa, a few nights on Costa Brava, and then the last several nights in Barcelona. Son will be in the Barcelona soccer camp on the back half of the trip. AIRBNB'd most of the trip. Plan to take high speed train everywhere.

Any must-dos? We are seasoned travelers and kids are easy. Up for anything.

ETA: Eurocup will be on at the same time. Huge bonus.

ETA: Eurocup will be on at the same time. Huge bonus
Man, I did a Berlin trip in 96, during the Euros, and we didn't even know it was happening. We were there to party.

Once we figured out what a big deal it was, we started planning our days around where we were gonna watch the good matches.

We would ask around, and find out where Italians, Swedes, etc were watching the game, and make a point to watch with mostly them. Every place we went to could not have been happier that a bunch of Americans wanted to come by and cheer for their country.

@Lehigh98 I'd highly recommend the place we stayed, Anatara Grand Hotel. You stepped out of our hotel and were on Dam Square. For a first timer like we were it felt like a great spot. No shortage of restaurants in any direction. And it was all busy, but it wasn't a deterrent by any means.

A 10 minute walk north and we were at Amsterdam Centraal. The Jordan neighborhood was right around the corner. All the nice shopping was right there on the square if thats a big deal to you. The Red Light District was 5 minutes.

The only thing we did that really required us taking transportation was going to the Museum area. We walked back from the spot one night and it was still relatively easy and a fun walk (the truffles helped).

Having trouble deciding on a place to stay in Amsterdam. My wife works with a few people that have lived in the area and they recommended the Jordaan area (or the area between Jordaan and Centraal) because it's what most people expect from Amsterdam and lots of canals, bars, and restaurants. They also suggested avoiding staying in the Centraal area or De Wallen area since they're so busy. (Sounds like that's what @jb1020 might have run into there.) They said the Museum Quarter is also a nice area.

This is a nice overview of the areas and this particular traveler's favorites.

With my Hilton status, I went in and booked a placeholder at the Doubletree there that's more on the north end of the De Wallen area.
There's also a Hilton down in the Museum Quarter but that's getting pricier for a couple of rooms for 3 nights.
Still hoping to find a nice Airbnb for a more local experience but not seeing a lot of great options right now.
Totally open to local hotels, BnB's, etc in better areas as well.

For people that have spent time in Amsterdam, where did you spend the most time?
What areas did you enjoy the most? What areas start to get "too far away" to be convenient?
@McBokonon
@titusbramble

Thanks!

Wandering the Negen Straatjes (9 streets) area was awesome.

Really enjoyed the canal tours honestly. Really cool spot where you can see the view Monet had for "Amsterdam" in 1874.

Tempo Doeloe for Rijsttafel was a must but they sadly appear to have closed.

Any must-dos? We are seasoned travelers and kids are easy. Up for anything
Wow... where to start. For me San Sebastián is all about the food. The tapas bar crawl is amazing. Try the white wine up there. It's different.

Never spent any time on the Costa Brava and I don't know Barcelona well at all, although the Gaudí stuff is definitely must see there.

As for Madrid, the Prado museum is top notch. I used to go there on Sundays when it was free. If you are out late enough, the fried calamari sandwiches on the side street off Plaza Mayor are great. Cheap beers too. On weekends in the summer there were flea markets in the corner of Retiro near Atocha. As for watching the Euros, I'd hit up the bars and restaurants on the Plaza de Santa Ana. That was one of my favorite spots. Like most of Europe in the summer, it's light quite late at night, but Spaniards take it to another level with dinner at 11:00 PM, bar at 1:00 AM and clubs at 3:00 AM, but you probably already knew that.

We stayed here:

It’s small so not what you want if you’re going to stay there a lot, but it’s an awesome location - a perfect home base.
That looks super cool. Going to stay there next time I'm in Amsterdam.
Did you make it to Windsor Castle in England?

We've thrown together an itinerary and travel and hotels booked for the most part but with flexible rates so can change if we find better / more interesting places to stay.

Weds 7/31: Fly overnight Newark, NJ to Heathrow (1 Night)
Thurs 8/1: Check in to Hilton London Bankside (3 Nights)
Sun 8/4: Stena overnight ferry to Amsterdam (1 Night)
Mon 8/5: Check in to DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station (3 nights)
Thurs 8/8: Fly Amsterdam to Reykjavik, Iceland
Check in to Hilton Reykjavik Nordica (2 Nights)
Sat 8/10: Fly Reykjavik, Iceland to Newark, NJ and head home

Thoughts on the itinerary? Now to start planning day-to-day activities.
Please let me know you had any favorite activities / restaurants / bars / etc to add to the itinerary.

Thanks!

We've thrown together an itinerary and travel and hotels booked for the most part but with flexible rates so can change if we find better / more interesting places to stay.

Please let me know you had any favorite activities / restaurants / bars / etc to add to the itinerary.

Thanks!
That looks amazing although limited time in each spot.

2 days in Reykjavik is pretty good.

Lebowkski bar is indeed worth a try.

If you're a "splurge meal" type... Michelin Starred "Óx" is a phenomenal 20 course, 4.5 hour experience that is worth every Penny, IMO.

Mat Bar really surprised us for the food.

Thanks!

icon’s post reminded me - If you can get a table (check now) - we had one of the best meals we ever had at De Kas.

Thanks!
That looks amazing although limited time in each spot.
Yeah, we've been back and forth on number of stops vs number of days in each.
My kids (will be 18 & 16) have never been to Europe and I have only been twice (and London area both times).
Looking at this trip as an intro / sampler with English friendly locations and trying a few stops in the ~10 days we have.
England to France would have been a no-brainer but with the Olympics we're going to avoid and try Amsterdam instead.
My wife has flown through Reykjavik a couple times and wanted to check it out when there was a connection available this time.
If this works out, we'll probably look at a return trip to France, Italy and/or Spain next time around.

Thanks!

icon’s post reminded me - If you can get a table (check now) - we had one of the best meals we ever had at De Kas.

Looks really cool, too far out to book just yet.
Looks like if they can't get my kids to like vegetables than no one can!

Spending most of June in Spain. Arrive in Barcelona for a couple nights, off to Madrid for a few nights, San Sebastian for a few nights, two nights in Zaragosa, a few nights on Costa Brava, and then the last several nights in Barcelona. Son will be in the Barcelona soccer camp on the back half of the trip. AIRBNB'd most of the trip. Plan to take high speed train everywhere.

Any must-dos? We are seasoned travelers and kids are easy. Up for anything.

ETA: Eurocup will be on at the same time. Huge bonus.
We took the high speed train from Barcelona to Madrid last Spring - pretty easy to use.

One good tip: we used the French high speed train (Oiugo) and it was about 1/2 the price of the Spanish train (Renfe). I don't remember if they were running a special at the time but it was a good deal. We booked it on line before we left.

Final Agenda:
VERY much appreciate any suggestions.

Depart this Saturday.
MEM > ORD > LHR > ZRH
BA Business Class with w long layover in ORD. Any lounge suggestions?

Land in Zurich. Train > Lucerne
(buying tickets onsite)
Staying in KoBi Studios by the Bridge in Altstadt (old town). Exploring for 2 nights then back to Zurich for meetings.

Zurich (3 nights)
ACASA Suites in downtown area.
Mostly work but will have Friday afternoon to explore.
Flying out to Warsaw on SwissAir at 5pm.

Warsaw (2 nights)
Staying at Nobu Warsaw. Shockingly cheap for an Executive Room.
I think we've decided on hitting Auchwitz. Sucks as I would have flown us into Krakow instead but maybe the 3hr drive will be nice? Nervous/Excited about Auchwitz. Anyone been? We've toured Underground Sandinista prisons in Nicaragua, Kilmanhaim Gaol in Dublin... but this... 🥹

Then we fly down to Malaga for 1 night. Staying at Vibe Malaga since we are getting in late. We want to make the coastal drive to Cadiz during daylight.

Driving along south coast to Cadiz/Rota for 3 nights at Hotel Duque Rota on the beach. Have 3 days of debauchery here with good friends who are stationed here and know Rota well. Looking for suggestions in Cadiz! Since it will be Holy Week there will prob be some cool parades from the Brotherhood.

Then Thursday at lunch we drive over to Gibraltar so the GF can see the monkeys on the Rock. One night at the Elliot hotel in "downtown" area. No plans, maybe casino night?

Friday afternoon we drive down to Tarifa and take a Jetboat to Tangier. Two nights at Barcelo Tangier. Exploring, shopping, etc. planning on picking up a rug for the new house to ship back. Definitely would love some tips here.

Then Easter Sunday morning we wake up, jetboat back to Tarifa, then drive back to Malaga and HOPEFULLY catch Easter Sunday parades in downtown Malaga. No idea how close we will be able to get coming in around lunchtime tho.

Flying out at 5pm with an overnight stay in London. Booked Aerotel Heathrow for convenience since we'll only have ~7 hours to grab shuteye. Then back to the US.

Final Agenda:

(buying tickets onsite)
Staying in KoBi Studios by the Bridge in Altstadt (old town). Exploring for 2 nights then back to Zurich for meetings.
When we were in Lucerne, we took a day trip...
Ferry to small scenic village (can't remember the name), funicular to top of Mount Rigi, Cable Car back down, ferry to another small scenic village, ferry back to Lucerne. Great scenery all over the place, and we did it at beginning of April, so weather shouldn't be too different when you go.

If you want to details, let me know and I can try to dig up notes from the trip.

Final Agenda:

(buying tickets onsite)
Ferry to small scenic village (can't remember the name), funicular to top of Mount Rigi, Cable Car back down, ferry to another small scenic village, ferry back to Lucerne. Great scenery all over the place, and we did it at beginning of April, so weather shouldn't be too different when you go.

If you want to details, let me know and I can try to dig up notes from the trip.
Thank you, GB. Please Don't go out of your way but I'm curious about the small villages if you happen to find details.

Final Agenda:

(buying tickets onsite)

Thank you, GB. Please Don't go out of your way but I'm curious about the small villages if you happen to find details.
Found my notes from that part of our trip...

We got the Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days which allows you to use all modes of transport while in Switzerland. It included train from Luzern to Montreux and back, ferry and cogwheel train up to Mt. Rigi, cable cars, local buses, etc. Definitely worth it and I highly recommend purchasing the Swiss Pass. Kids are free for every paid adult pass (so for 2 adults, we got 2 free kids passes). If you get first class, it lets you go on better train cars for some routes as well as going on the upper deck of the ferry.

We chose Mt. Rigi for views. Most people will push for you to go up Mt. Pilatus, which is also in Luzern and might be more fun for kids because of winter activities (skiing, sledding). We didn’t bring snow gear with us, so we opted for what was easiest.

Ferry from Luzern to Mt Rigi stops in a village called Vitznau which was very charming. If you take the cable car down (which you can get at Rigi Kaltbad stop in middle of mountain), it goes to Weggis - another pleasant town where the ferry stops.

Final Agenda:

(buying tickets onsite)

Found my notes from that part of our trip...

We got the Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days which allows you to use all modes of transport while in Switzerland. It included train from Luzern to Montreux and back, ferry and cogwheel train up to Mt. Rigi, cable cars, local buses, etc. Definitely worth it and I highly recommend purchasing the Swiss Pass. Kids are free for every paid adult pass (so for 2 adults, we got 2 free kids passes). If you get first class, it lets you go on better train cars for some routes as well as going on the upper deck of the ferry.

We chose Mt. Rigi for views. Most people will push for you to go up Mt. Pilatus, which is also in Luzern and might be more fun for kids because of winter activities (skiing, sledding). We didn’t bring snow gear with us, so we opted for what was easiest.

Ferry from Luzern to Mt Rigi stops in a village called Vitznau which was very charming. If you take the cable car down (which you can get at Rigi Kaltbad stop in middle of mountain), it goes to Weggis - another pleasant town where the ferry stops.
This is perfect, thank you!

We will only be taking two train rides (Zurich > Lucerne > Zurich) so we will not need a rail pass but I'm confident that info will be very helpful to others too.

Thanks!

Just returned from Paris, London & Nice…

Paris- did Eiffel, Arc, Louvre, St Chapelle, Pantheon a baking class and Sacre Couer. Saw Notre Dame from the outside. Also golfed Le Golf National. Missed out on the Orsay and a river cruise.

London- did hop on hop off bus, and toured Tower of London. Missed out on going to a show or exploring Picadilly etc. We only had 1.5 days here.

Nice- did a day trip to Eze and Monaco, otherwise mostly hung out in Old Town Nice or on the oceanfront promenade. We went up to Castle Hill/Colline Chateau. City was plenty busy even though it’s summer that is the big time for them.

Was a great trip celebrating my daughter’s graduation. Any questions or anything, let me know.

Nice- did a day trip to Eze and Monaco, otherwise mostly hung out in Old Town Nice or on the oceanfront promenade. We went up to Castle Hill/Colline Chateau. City was plenty busy even though it’s summer that is the big time for them.
I'll be in Nice in a couple of weeks and Eze and Monaco will be part of day trips. Any tips on restaurants for dinner in Nice and for lunch in Eze and/or Monaco?

I'll be in Nice in a couple of weeks and Eze and Monaco will be part of day trips. Any tips on restaurants for dinner in Nice and for lunch in Eze and/or Monaco?
We enjoyed Renee in Nice as well as La Favola. Marinette was a great breakfast place. We kept getting turned around in Eze and didn’t eat there but I don’t think there are a ton of choices there (but a few with awesome views I’ve heard). We did a quick lunch at Tip Top by the casino in Monaco and it was certainly good but I wouldn’t seek it out. Wish we would have had more time to explore old town Monaco; likely better options there. Enjoy the trip!

Spending about 2 weeks in the UK coming up. Traveling with an 8 year old. London is going to be main base with some days either there or day trips from there.

Want to limit need to move around suitcases, etc. But planning on a second city for at least 4 nights there.

Edinburgh seems pretty far by train and would make us lose a couple of days of sightseeing. Thinking either going to Wales/Cardiff or north to York area.

Anything screaming take your 8 year old there, or some other place?

8 year old likes what?
Main interests these days are NASCAR, soccer, and Dude Perfect on YouTube. I suppose soccer is most relevant for UK. But just thinking of kid-friendly activities in general. Would like to expose him to some history, but maybe a bit of a balance where can do something educational and then fun (or things with a combo of the two). It will be my first visit to the UK too, FWIW, and would like to nerd out on some history while I’m there too.

Spending about 2 weeks in the UK coming up. Traveling with an 8 year old. London is going to be main base with some days either there or day trips from there.

Want to limit need to move around suitcases, etc. But planning on a second city for at least 4 nights there.

Edinburgh seems pretty far by train and would make us lose a couple of days of sightseeing. Thinking either going to Wales/Cardiff or north to York area.

Check out Bath

8 year old likes what?
Main interests these days are NASCAR, soccer, and Dude Perfect on YouTube. I suppose soccer is most relevant for UK. But just thinking of kid-friendly activities in general. Would like to expose him to some history, but maybe a bit of a balance where can do something educational and then fun (or things with a combo of the two). It will be my first visit to the UK too, FWIW, and would like to nerd out on some history while I’m there too.

Maybe consider Liverpool? Very easy to get up on train from there, if the young'un likes soccer then something like the Anfield stadium tour would probably work, love the city itself personally and it's probably got enough to warrant at least a couple of nights on its own, within really easy striking distance of Manchester or Chester for day trips?

8 year old likes what?

Maybe consider Liverpool? Very easy to get up on train from there, if the young'un likes soccer then something like the Anfield stadium tour would probably work, love the city itself personally and it's probably got enough to warrant at least a couple of nights on its own, within really easy striking distance of Manchester or Chester for day trips?
Could look into Liverpool. My wife is actually heading out a couple of days early to go to a Taylor Swift concert in Liverpool, and then I’m flying out with son later (concert is his last day of school). But was interested in checking out The Beatles stuff in Liverpool too.

Check out Bath
Bath definitely one I want to check out. Was considering if more of a day trip or want to spend some nights there.

Users who are viewing this thread