What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (8 Viewers)

Completely hypothetical, if Brandon Marshall asks to be traded - think the Pats should pursue him?

Similar note, should we be pursuing VJax? Not a huge Vjax fan.

Completely hypothetical, if Brandon Marshall asks to be traded - think the Pats should pursue him?

I wouldn't mind them going after either of these guys, though I don't see it happening, with the offense rolling as well as it is.

I wouldn't mind them going after either of these guys, though I don't see it happening, with the offense rolling as well as it is.
Gotta look at it in comparison to the competition. Peyton has more top tier weapons than anyone. Can't beat the Broncos then the season is over.

#Patriots have already surpassed last year's penalty total with 70 through 8 games. (Had 69 last season.)
Christopher Price , WEEI.com, Patriots Beat Writer
#Patriots also have 628 yards in penalties. Franchise record for most penalty yards in a season is 1,051, set by the 1992 team
#Patriots have also now hit 4 straight games without a turnover.
#Patriots offensive line had yielded 23 sacks through the first 8 games of 2013. It's given up 15 through first 8 games of 2014.
Christopher Price, WEEI.com, Patriots Beat Writer
#Patriots still only team in the league that hasn't given up a pass play of 40-plus yards. #GTFB

Last edited by a moderator:
#Patriots have already surpassed last year's penalty total with 70 through 8 games. (Had 69 last season.)
#Patriots also have 628 yards in penalties. Franchise record for most penalty yards in a season is 1,051, set by the 1992 team
#Patriots have also now hit 4 straight games without a turnover.
#Patriots offensive line had yielded 23 sacks through the first 8 games of 2013. It's given up 15 through first 8 games of 2014.
Christopher Price, WEEI.com, Patriots Beat Writer
#Patriots still only team in the league that hasn't given up a pass play of 40-plus yards. #GTFB
Brady on pace to match his '10 numbers (the year he won unanimous MVP).

In other news, Eisen 12 minute rant on the Jets organization. I don't feel sorry for Jets fans often, but when I do, its sandwiched between extended bouts of smiling.

he's been inactive the past few weeks, and I think dane fletcher pretty much took his lunch when foster was out, if that means anything to you.

he's depth + special teams

What a ####### game! Peyton looked like Peyton in Foxboro, Brady looked like Brady in Foxboro and the Pats D played lights out the whole game.

Couple reasonable drops from Lafell, couple bad drops from Lafell. Edelman looked like Welker incarnate this game. Gronk unstoppable as always. Vereen doing what he does (including drop anything behind him.) Was a little bummed to see Tyms and Wright all but removed from the gameplan, but they got some good work out of Develin. Browner looked amazing when he wasn't drawing flags, but that kind of aggressive play is exactly what their defense needs. D-Line looked great. Collins, Hightower and Ayers looked amazing. The DBs literally killed it out there. Finally, the OLine while allowing a ton of pressure on some plays, overall looked pretty damn good.

Entire Pats D for game MVP. Flying high after this win, going into a bye. The better team won!

Pats o-line played great and their run defense held up. Love the way we're playing right now! I can't wait to beat the Dolphins.

We can all agree on one thing, #### the jets and #### trent dilfer.

"The New England Pariots, let's face it-they're not good anymore!" - Trent 'I'm almost a worse commentator than I ever was a QB' Dilfer

While a nice win for NE, they have to step it up on the road. Over the past season and a half, they are now 14-0 at home to go with a 6-7 record on the road.

Pats o-line played great and their run defense held up. Love the way we're playing right now! I can't wait to beat the Dolphins.
Stay humble.
Oh #### no. Are you kidding? Did you see the abuse Pats fans took in here a few weeks ago? Even idiot Giant fans like Koya were piling on, bringing up a Superbowl win from 7 years ago on the day after their hapless team got shut out by the Eagles 27-0.Hell no. Pile on, Pats fans. You deserve it.

While a nice win for NE, they have to step it up on the road. Over the past season and a half, they are now 14-0 at home to go with a 6-7 record on the road.
Last four road games are @Ind, @GB, @SD, @NYJ. Would any Pats fan here be seriously unhappy with two wins out of these four?

Last four road games are @Ind, @GB, @SD, @NYJ. Would any Pats fan here be seriously unhappy with two wins out of these four?
2 wins is the floor. The Jets are a hot mess, and San Diego is really starting to look bad and their defense is horrible. I give them a 50/50 shot at the other 2 games.. Plus they want homefield advantage. I don't have Denver or Indys schedule infront of me, but you have to think the Pats need to finish at least 12 - 4 and probably 13 - 3 to get it.

2 wins is the floor. The Jets are a hot mess, and San Diego is really starting to look bad and their defense is horrible. I give them a 50/50 shot at the other 2 games.. Plus they want homefield advantage. I don't have Denver or Indys schedule infront of me, but you have to think the Pats need to finish at least 12 - 4 and probably 13 - 3 to get it.
DEN: @OAK, @STL, MIA, @KC, BUF, @SD, @CIN, OAK

IND: @NYG, NE, JAX, WAS, @CLE, HOU, @DAL, @TEN

NE: @IND, DET, @GB, @SD, MIA, @NYJ, BUF

Really amazed to see the Pats playing THIS well after how BAD they looked at the start of the year. Astounding really. Congrats to the Pats -- you just might have the best QB of all time at the helm. When it looked like he was done, he's picked the team up emotionally and put them on his back.

I'm also convinced that Bill B is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Opposing fans love to hate on him, but he is just an incredible coach.

DEN: @OAK, @STL, MIA, @KC, BUF, @SD, @CIN, OAK

IND: @NYG, NE, JAX, WAS, @CLE, HOU, @DAL, @TEN

NE: @IND, DET, @GB, @SD, MIA, @NYJ, BUF
Thanks for that

The floor for Denver and I mean worst case is 6 - 2. We should expect 7 - 1 and not be surprised if they go 8 - 0

The floor for Indy is 5 - 3. We should expect 5 - 3 or 6 - 2. I really would be surprised if they did better than 6 - 2

That being said New England needs to be shooting for 7 - 1. Win all the home games and 3 - 1 in the road games.

This is the first time in the Brady era that I seriously think the run is over. I would be shocked if this team does anything in the playoffs assuming they get there. BB and his crappy drafting and Kraft's nickel and diming has finally taken it's toll. I'll give BB credit as he has done more with less over the last 5 years or so but the cupboard is bare and both lines are pathetic. Brady is in decline as well but how can you blame him given the talent he's surrounded with.

It was a great run and we knew it wouldn't last forever.
well, I'm pretty down about the game, but then I realized I'm rooting for a team that produces this ^^ reaction to losing one game and I feel a little better.
I'm trying to not overreact but looking at this team we have two of the weakest lines in the NFL. I think it is as much a talent issue as a coaching/scheme issue. I'm of the belief that games are won in the trenches and from what I've seen so far that is a major issue given the cast of characters we are fielding. The good news is we have 13 mil in cap space left to go out and sign all those impact players out there.
yeah, I think that's your imagination
Ok, so I imagined that Chris Jones, Silver Siliga and a very old looking Big Vince were thrown around like rag dolls in the second half. I don't even know where to start on the offensive line, just pick anyone. Do you honestly see either line being a strength for this team? If so, how do you see that based on the talent we presently have and the way they are playing? What we have done in years past doesn't mean anything this year as we have never fielded such a bunch of stiffs and has been's on the lines as we have now. Well at least not under BB.
I totally get why you'd feel that way after this game. But, at some point, until they prove otherwise, don't you need to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll improve?
I think they will improve as they can't play any worse than they did in the second half. My point is it's sickening to look at the talent on the roster @ O-line and D-line. Like I said I feel BB has performed a minor miracle last year to get this group to the AFC title game. He will get the most out of this group but the cupboard is bare aside from Chandler , Solder and maybe a couple others. Unfortunately as good a coach BB is he's that bad a GM at this point.

WTF are we relying on Vellano, Devey etc. ? I know we have some prospects like Stork and Easley but if they don't come in and contribute sooner than later we are no better than a 10 win team at best ( and that is optimistic) with a quick playoff exit. I am fully expecting to start 0-2 as a team like Minny on the road is exactly the worst case scenario for us at this point IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
I understand I'm talking about many different people here, so all you guys won't have your complaints coordinated and on the same page, but when I was loving this draft I was kind of surprised to hear all the whining about it -- it wasn't 'sexy', they should've drafted receivers, bb the gm is terrible, the cupboard is bare, it's a disgrace they left brady without weapons, etc.

now, we have the people who, I guess, are whining because they don't have all first round linemen.

look, you ####ers, it is physically ####### impossible to draft every position in the first round, and even if you did you'd have to be ####### jesus to avoid busts.

every ####### team in the league has their share of 7th rounders and udfa's starting, along with the inevitable busts that they end up cutting or trading for some conditional 7th.

I'd say ninkovich is a pretty ####### good player --- are you saying the guy is a talentless waste of roster space?

I 100% guarantee you that as soon as they get this thing turned around and start winning games, and they will, that everybody will pop out of their closet like a ####### jack in the box to tell us what a great line brady gets to play behind, and how the patriots d is terrorizing teams.

MARK IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

edit ps

that's assuming it wasn't all dante's magic in the first place
well, we've got a down week now for the media to jerk us off and the negative nancies to find something to complain about, then it's on to indy!!

that should be a pretty tough game, and a little weird just a week after beating peyton, so we've got that to focus our attention on without having to go through the whole schedule.

frankly, I think these teams should be more worried about playing us than we are of them, and to answer the above poster's question --- I'm upset every time they lose a game, so I'm not really hoping for any losses.

let's just beat indy.

denver wasn't our superbowl

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4771510/interchangeable-defense-sparks-patriots

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- When considering how the New England Patriots effectively slowed the Denver Broncos' lethal offense in Sunday's convincing 43-21 victory, Rob Ninkovich's critical second-quarter interception provides a nice X's-and-O's snapshot of the plan.

This was all about the "interchangeable defense."

For most of the game, the Patriots played a 4-2-5 nickel that had Ninkovich and Akeem Ayers as hybrid end-of-the-line players. Their job was to work in concert with off-the-line linebackers Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower to take away Peyton Manning's go-to play -- the over route paired with a shallow crosser.

To simplify, this is how the defense approached things:

• If Collins or Hightower rushed up the middle -- they showed quite a bit of pre-snap pressure looks over the center in the game -- it was on Ninkovich or Ayers to drop back into coverage in their place.
  • If Collins or Hightower backed out into coverage, then Ninkovich and Ayers would play more of the traditional defensive end role.
"You have to change it up," Ninkovich explained. "Having [Hightower] and Jamie, those guys can get inside and rush well on backs and also on guards, and when they do that, you have ends that can drop back and cover. So you're able to switch things up and it's all interchangeable."
Mike Reiss, ESPNBoston.com, Patriots Beat Reporter
From the things-you-don't-expect-to-see dept.: Charted DE Akeem Ayers playing all but 4 defensive snaps for Patriots in win over Broncos

Anyone else surprised to see Malcolm Butler so involved? Not too shabby. Lots of role players on this defense. Dennard inactive again but I think it's mainly because they're shifting him around for a new role and they're not fully confident that he's got it down yet.

Honestly I don't think the next 5 or 6 games look too scary with the way this team is playing. @Indy and @GB are really the big ones for me, but they're all winnable. I really wouldn't be shocked to see them go 6-0 or 5-1 the rest of the way if everyone stays somewhat healthy. I was at the game last night and that was definitely the loudest I've heard that place in years.

The biggest key for the Pats is staying healthy, if they can somehow avoid any more major injuries to their core players on both sides of the ball than this team should be in great shape.

Went to the game yesterday, crowd was awesome and as usual Peyton spit the bit. I'm still in disbelief over the improvement they have made in the last month. I sill think if we end up going to Denver in Jan. it may be a completely different story. Lets hope for good health and continued improvement going forward. They seem to be peaking right now, just hope they can duplicate that in a couple of months.

The playoffs are a completely different animal. I would just once like to see them be the team who is physical and punches the other team in the mouth (like yesterday) as opposed to taking it in the playoffs. Cautiously optimistic but there is a lot of football left to be played. One thing for sure is both the AFC and NFC are wide open at this point and there are a lot of possible SB scenarios. Like every year it depends on who gets hot down the stretch.

Anyone else surprised to see Malcolm Butler so involved? Not too shabby. Lots of role players on this defense. Dennard inactive again but I think it's mainly because they're shifting him around for a new role and they're not fully confident that he's got it down yet.
what new role?

I was kind of surprised to see it, but we all saw butler lookin' all fresh in pre, and I guess the guy just passed dennard up.

Mike Reiss, ESPNBoston.com, Patriots Beat Reporter
Bill Belichick on Akeem Ayers (77 of 82 snaps): "He's done a good job, picked things up quickly. Sharp kid. Wants to get things right."
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- When coaches formulate a 46-man game-day roster, special teams is a big part of the consideration. A backup on offense or defense who doesn't contribute on special teams is a luxury that sometimes can't be afforded on game day.

In recapping the Patriots' special-teams personnel usage in Sunday's win over the Broncos, the presence of linebacker Jonathan Casillas stands out. Acquired from the Buccaneers last Tuesday, he played on each of the "Big 4" units -- kickoff coverage, punt coverage, kickoff return and punt return -- and led the club with three special-teams tackles.

Using Casillas as a springboard, here are the players who appeared on multiple units:

Four units

RB Brandon Bolden

LB Jonathan Casillas

S Nate Ebner

LB Chris White

S Tavon Wilson

Three units

CB Logan Ryan

WR Matthew Slater

Two units

WR Danny Amendola

S Patrick Chung

FB James Develin

S Don Jones

NOTES: Akeem Ayers, who was on two units in his debut against the Bears, was scaled back to one. That was likely a result of his increased defensive workload. ... Tight end Tim Wright is part of one unit, the punt return, and he narrowly avoided a penalty for a block in the back on Julian Edelman's punt return for a touchdown. ... Rookie cornerback Malcolm Butler played on the punt return unit, his lone participation on special teams, working against the opposition's gunner.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4771563/jonathan-casillas-a-core-special-teamer

This isn't exactly about the Patriots, though does involve their starting quarterback, so I apologize. I just figured someone in this thread would have answer to my question.

I love The Audible podcasts. They are arguably the greatest thing on this site. While I'm not Cecil Lammey's biggest fan, there is one thing that has always bugged me that I've been curious about for quite a while and I never thought to ask. For those who listen and/or know what I'm talking about, why does he pronounce Tom Brady's name with a childish "Tom Braaadaaaay" 9 out of 10 times? It is really grating.

This isn't exactly about the Patriots, though does involve their starting quarterback, so I apologize. I just figured someone in this thread would have answer to my question.

I love The Audible podcasts. They are arguably the greatest thing on this site. While I'm not Cecil Lammey's biggest fan, there is one thing that has always bugged me that I've been curious about for quite a while and I never thought to ask. For those who listen and/or know what I'm talking about, why does he pronounce Tom Brady's name with a childish "Tom Braaadaaaay" 9 out of 10 times? It is really grating.
:lmao:

cecil?

that's just his schtick, as far as I know -- idk if there's a specific reference there.

I really just listen to the idp one and some couches, so I haven't heard him recently.

in my imagination I always just assumed he grew up idolizing robin williams.

cecil?

that's just his schtick, as far as I know -- idk if there's a specific reference there.

I really just listen to the idp one and some couches, so I haven't heard him recently.

in my imagination I always just assumed he grew up idolizing robin williams.
Yes, I was curious if there was a specific reference. If there was, at least it would make more sense...but still be very childish.

The last sentence, about Robin Williams, I can definitely see, which is not a good thing for me. I dislike his disingenuous sounding announcer voice, especially when he thanks people for listening, which I feel was only spurred on by Sigmund. Cecil never used to thank people, EVER, for listening, but Sigmund always has and always sounds earnest in doing so. In fact, On the Couch is the key podcast to listen to for me, primarily because it is always interesting and because Cecil isn't on it and it is Sigmund's baby.

Closet Brady-envy, its been called the silent epidemic.
re: Cecil?

Aqib Talib, CB: -3.4

Breakdown: It was not a great return to New England for Talib who was picked on to the tune of five receptions on eight targets for 73 yards, with all three incompletions coming from drops (including one in the end zone by Edelman). He struggled keeping up with Edelman’s route running throughout the game.

Signature Plays: The Edelman would-be touchdown was a nifty route with Talib shaken pretty badly (38 seconds to go in the second quarter). He also picked up defensive holding penalty when lined up opposite Gronkowski late in the first half.
~ PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/03/refo-broncos-patriots-week-9-2/

In very exciting games, both the Dolphins and the Bills lose, it's a good day. I was sweating both teams in the standings a little bit.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots have tweaked the contract of starting right tackle Sebastian Vollmer, decreasing the percentage of plays he must play in order to earn up to $2 million in incentives, according to league sources.

Vollmer will earn $1 million if he plays 70 percent of the Patriots' offensive snaps and $2 million if he earns 80 percent of the team's offensive snaps.

Under previous terms of the deal, Vollmer was set to earn $1 million if he played at least 80 percent of the offensive snaps and $2 million for playing 90 percent of the offensive snaps. This money can be earned on top of his $2 million base salary for 2014.

In addition, Vollmer is due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2015 league year if he plays 70 percent of this year's offensive snaps, down from 80 percent before the restructure.

The restructure results in a prorated cap charge of $333,333.33 over each of the next three seasons.
also, I don't know if you guys listen to belichick's weei spot on mondays, but I thought last monday was kind of an interesting one --- early in the show he talked about the state of the patriots when he took over

says he expected it to be a 4 yr project to get that ship righted because of the cap issues

[Michael] Irvin was asked if he was surprised at the correction Tom Brady's made since the Patriots loss to the Chiefs in Week 4.

"No. No. No. Is it incredible? Yes. Am I surprised? Noooo," Irvin

said. “I wasn't jumping off that wagon. And I was throwing life rafts to

everyone that was. Y’all get these rafts and get back on this boat and

stop tripping. Get back on this boat.”
edit: also, from miguel ------------

1.) Found out from Ben Volin this week and confirmed it that Danny Amendola has a 500K NLTBE incentives for receptions. Thanks, Ben, for the heads up. This means that the Pats entered the season with over 10M in NLTBE incentives that had various chances of being earned. While it is now impossible for Amendola to earn the 500K, the Pats could not have known that during the offseason.

For me, the number one reason for the Pats cap space is to account for the NLTBE incentives

Safe to say Mankins was an albatross at this point?
don't think I'd go that far, but he's probably just not worth what he was getting paid, which I'd imagine was their evaluation.

with the salary cap everything is just a numbers trade off.

you can keep mankins at top tier money or motor on with some guy making peanuts + use that money for other players + tim wright + some other guy in the draft next year making peanuts on another 4 yr rookie deal --- most likely a top pick in the round.

Luck not really known for his ball security, how do you guys feel about the Pats D this week away against a highpowered Colts offense?

Starting em with confidence atm, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread