What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

As things stand currently (and with changes sure to come), next year the Pats most likely would get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Revis and three 6th rounders for losing Vereen, Ayers, and Castillas. If Vince signs elsewhere they would likely get a 5th rounder. Sheard and Browner cancel each other out. Not sure who else is on the market that would count against them if they signed with the Pats.

As things stand currently (and with changes sure to come), next year the Pats most likely would get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Revis and three 6th rounders for losing Vereen, Ayers, and Castillas. If Vince signs elsewhere they would likely get a 5th rounder. Sheard and Browner cancel each other out. Not sure who else is on the market that would count against them if they signed with the Pats.
Ridley and Connoley I think.

Here’s something I learned about first-year Patriots defensive end/outside linebacker Jabaal Sheard (two-year, $11 million contract) from speaking with folks around his former team, the Browns:

He played the second half of last season with a foot injury, and the severity of the injury had some thinking he was going to land on injured reserve.

But Sheard, despite his production declining, was determined to play through it. Sheard also was the Browns’ Walter Payton Man of the Year award nominee in 2013
By Mike Reiss

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap on Patriots' cap managementThe MMQB: You’ve been a cap-watcher for a while. What team, or which GM, handles the cap the best?

Fitzgerald: If I had to narrow my choices down to two teams I would select the 49ers and the Patriots. The 49ers I appreciate because everything is done on their terms. Almost every player on that team, even the stars, has large amounts of money tied into being healthy and productive, which is not common in the NFL. For instance last year Navorro Bowman missed out on $750,000 in salary because he was hurt.

But if there is one team that stands out head and shoulders above anyone else it’s New England. To have the kind of success that they have had in a salary cap era of football is incredible. While everyone deals in two- and three-year windows, this team operates in decades. What sets New England apart isn’t so much the financial acumen (the Patriots have had more than their fair share of bad deals), but their steadfast approach to valuation of a player. They don’t waver or allow themselves to be taken advantage of. They are cold as ice when it comes to their players. It goes back years, to the team cutting Lawyer Milloy on the eve of the season. No player is bigger than the organization. Whether it was Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins, Mike Vrabel, Deion Branch or a number of other players, the team either turned the players into draft picks or walked away without getting stuck in a bad contract. Just the fact that they would approach Tom Brady about accepting a contract that would pay him in the ballpark of $10 million a year is something to appreciate. The Patriots can also be very quietly generous with their players to build that trust with a player who performs. Last season the team reworked the contract of Sebastian Vollmer to give him a better chance of earning incentives in his contract that he missed the year before because of injury. Often they give even their practice squad players a boost in salary at the end of the year. When the time comes to ask players for a pay cut later on, I am sure that these things are remembered. They play a different game than anyone else in the NFL.

Speaking of WR, the Pats have a lot of them lying around. No word on Stevie Johnson yet, but he would make the tenth receiver on the roster: Edeman, Lafell, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Gibson, Tyms, Dorsey, and Slater.

Speaking of WR, the Pats have a lot of them lying around. No word on Stevie Johnson yet, but he would make the tenth receiver on the roster: Edeman, Lafell, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Gibson, Tyms, Dorsey, and Slater.
Slater is specialty a lot of those guys are just camp bodies

Sounds like Stevie Johnson is coming with the deal potentially final by the end of the day. I can't see them looking at WR in the first two days of the draft.

Also worth noting the Browns sign former Packers CB Tramon Williams to a 3 year, $12 million deal. Fair to middling guys are getting a lot of money to play CB these days.

He left? wtf: they probably offered him a lobster roll and a whale watching trip! WTF!! C'mon Pats, cut some of the chaffe and get some quality. Dobson, lol. They suck a this ####e, lol.

Johnson made roughly $4 million last year to do not a whole lot for the 49ers. He got cut by SF and was due to make $6 million in both 2015 and 2016. I am guessing he wanted a fair amount more than the Pats were willing to pay him.

This is somewhat odd.

DT Tyrunn Walker said he was offered a 3-year deal by the Patriots. Took a one-year deal with the Lions instead.

Good points... he's not worth that for sure. It's ironic that quite a few players would actually make more money if their contracts were for less money or structured differently.

The New England Patriots could have a crowded wide receiver corps next season.

Free-agent wideout Stevie Johnson is “very likely” to sign with the Patriots, sources told NBC4’s Dianna Marie Russini.

Johnson is visiting the Patriots, and a deal could get done Monday, Russini reports.

The Patriots are bringing back starting receivers Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell,

and No. 3 option Danny Amendola restructured his contract to stay with the team for another year.

The Patriots signed free agents Kevin Dorsey, Brandon Gibson and Brian Tyms this offseason,

and they’re also bringing back reserves Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce and Jonathan Krause.

Johnson spent 2014 with the San Francisco 49ers after starting his career with the Buffalo Bills.

He has 336 career receptions for 4,267 yards and 31 touchdowns in seven seasons.

Update (4:42 p.m.): Russini reports Johnson left his visit to New England without a contract

and he’s deciding between signing with the Patriots and Chargers.

Source: NESN

Belichick on Vince Wilfork:

"Few players reached or will ever reach the special level of Vince Wilfork. He is a great champion and one of the classiest people I have ever been around – just a kind, genuine and giving person who was all about our team, football, winning and bringing joy to others. There may have never been anyone at his position with as much strength, toughness, intelligence, instinctiveness and athleticism. He is the best defensive linemen I ever coached, an all-time great Patriot whose place on our team will be missed but whose remarkable career as a Patriot will be remembered forever."
:kicksrock:

He's picked a good d line to be a part of if he wants to make one last push for canton. Could be building a historically good defensive front in Houston right now.

If this D doesn't get some strong solid pro ready players to fill the departure voids, Brady and Co may be in line for a huge year. They will need to outscore the teams that score a ton on them.

well, if you look at the playoffs + the last 12 regular season games they were already on about the same scoring pace as the 2007 team

it's all about the playoffs, and that's a long way away

injuries will be a big factor, and you'd need a crystal ball for that, plus the roster building obviously isn't close to being done

think I'd wait about 9 months before pushing any panic buttons

This is somewhat odd.

DT Tyrunn Walker said he was offered a 3-year deal by the Patriots. Took a one-year deal with the Lions instead.
Betting on himself cashing next year, has to figure he gets a lot of playing time on a team that just lost Suh and Fairley.

Of course he did, they surely offered more money. Stevie Johnson aside, quite a feat to go into FA and become such a significantly worse team- on paper at least. Why add strength to strength and increase dominance? Where's the challenge in that??

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course he did, they surely offered more money. Stevie Johnson aside, quite a feat to go into FA and become such a significantly worse team- on paper at least. Why add strength to strength and increase dominance? Where's the challenge in that??
ok, to be fair to the pats, they got worse in fa this year by losing 2 guys they signed in fa last year to get stronger.

although, I guess you could throw wilfork in there., but you'd need a pretty big arm --- that'd probably be my chief concern.

you lose guys every year and at least they kept gostkowski and mccourty

this is exactly why it's such a joke comparing montana to brady --- montana never had to deal with this every year.

'the challenge in that' is an impossible challenge.

I hear ya, panicking a little is fun though. And it seems other teams have money and we don't, which is partly true. The team is strong as it is and Bill just knows what he's doing and seems about 3 years ahead of the rest of the league, or seems to adapt before we even know what to adapt to. As far as WR's, I was proven wrong last year and they had what they needed and then some. LaFell was a bright addition. mAybe Gibson or Tyms can step forward. RB's are, especially at this point in the year, over valued. I think that James White could have a role, and I hope Grey is given the chance to become a #1, keep Blount. Signing Chandler, good move. Sheard seems like he could be a real factor on the edge. Terence Newman is in town today, might add some depth and veteran presence. Ok, ok, there's some hope here, lol

It's okay NE can do the right thing and draft a big WR now. Ez game.
The last thing Pats fans should want is NE drafting a WR early. Well, because they suck at drafting receivers. Plus there is not a demonstrative need to have one. There just isn't. I am being serious. They are much better off finding a WR with NFL experience than drafting one (their results have been 10 times better that way). The Pats have been able to ratchet up plenty of offense with the guys they have (or in prior year with guys coming and going).

Bigger areas of need (probably in order): CB, DL, OL, receiving RB, safety.

I am guessing that NE thinks they have at least one legit starting CB on the roster already (Butler?). They will try to find a playable option from the scraps remaining in free agency, the draft, roster cuts from other teams, or by trade (now, in the preseason, or in-season). Talib was pretty much written off as a washed up has been when the Patriots traded for him. BB has been excellent at finding puzzle pieces from the scrap heap from other franchises and many have been the perfect elixir in NE.

As I have been saying (like a broken record). Let's look at the league rosters on Opening Day and again heading into the post season to have a true basis of comparison.

It's okay NE can do the right thing and draft a big WR now. Ez game.
The last thing Pats fans should want is NE drafting a WR early. Well, because they suck at drafting receivers. Plus there is not a demonstrative need to have one. There just isn't. I am being serious. They are much better off finding a WR with NFL experience than drafting one (their results have been 10 times better that way). The Pats have been able to ratchet up plenty of offense with the guys they have (or in prior year with guys coming and going).

Bigger areas of need (probably in order): CB, DL, OL, receiving RB, safety.

I am guessing that NE thinks they have at least one legit starting CB on the roster already (Butler?). They will try to find a playable option from the scraps remaining in free agency, the draft, roster cuts from other teams, or by trade (now, in the preseason, or in-season). Talib was pretty much written off as a washed up has been when the Patriots traded for him. BB has been excellent at finding puzzle pieces from the scrap heap from other franchises and many have been the perfect elixir in NE.

As I have been saying (like a broken record). Let's look at the league rosters on Opening Day and again heading into the post season to have a true basis of comparison.
I agree. Spend a mid rounder on a big WR. Address the real needs with the early picks.

Users who are viewing this thread