What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (10 Viewers)

Teams in the top half of the draft likely won't sign him to an offer sheet . . . which is why there is more talk of a trade than a team signing him and giving NE their first round pick.

It probably makes more sense for NE to just keep him and try to force him to play this year for the $3.91 tender offer and potentially the $14-15 million franchise number next year. NE has no real incentive to move on from Butler unless they think they are getting a decent return in a trade. In fact, IMO, the longer this goes on the less likely another team will sign Butler to an offer sheet (less cap money available) . . . meaning Butler's contract demands should start going down as he realizes he doesn't really have a lot of leverage. Maybe the Saints will give him the 5 year deal for $50-60 million that he wants. But NE won't pay two CB's that much.

I agree with other folks that are saying just pay him if they are close money wise, but if they are off by $10+ million and Butler won't budge then maybe they trade him. It would be nice for NE to have Gilmore and Butler, but that's starting to look less likely.
I pretty sure he Saints don't have a lot of cap space

Yeah, I'm sure they can make it worth but for a team several pieces away I don't think you want to sign Butler to a big deal even if backloaded 
I really haven't paid a lot of attention to the Saints moves, but they may be able to cut guys or rework deals to free up some more cap room.

AngryPatriot said:
Hightower signs 4 year deal- with Patriots. Sweet.
Well that fills what would have been a huge void on their defense.

Hard not to predict complete domination by NE again this year.

Anyone else here feel let down watching the games now? Winning a regular season game for NE is no longer exciting ... it's expected.

Even the playoffs this year ... the so called cream of the crop ... Pats just crushed them. 

The Superbowl was beyond thrilling. An emotional roller coaster. Wouldn't mind a little more of that during the reg season. A little more ... not a 25 point comeback but at least a comeback. How about a game winning FG? A last second goal line stand? Something that makes my palms sweaty. 

I actually miss the Manning / Dungy led Colts. I'm afraid we are in for another full season of NE facing lousy teams with bad QB's and terrible coaching.  

Anyone else here feel let down watching the games now? Winning a regular season game for NE is no longer exciting ... it's expected.

Even the playoffs this year ... the so called cream of the crop ... Pats just crushed them. 

The Superbowl was beyond thrilling. An emotional roller coaster. Wouldn't mind a little more of that during the reg season. A little more ... not a 25 point comeback but at least a comeback. How about a game winning FG? A last second goal line stand? Something that makes my palms sweaty. 

I actually miss the Manning / Dungy led Colts. I'm afraid we are in for another full season of NE facing lousy teams with bad QB's and terrible coaching.  
Just WIN baby.

It doesn't matter how they do it.

There are a lot of "on paper" champions. The season is a grind, and there will be the usual injury concerns. The team sandwiched between the SB winning teams is proof positive of that. The 2015 team was destroying opponents the first 10 weeks of the year and then the injury bug hit and hit hard. Had they stayed healthy, they were probably better than the two teams that won in 2014 and 2016, although that is open for debate. Just ask the 2007 team about winning a title. I agree that at this point the Patriots seem to be set up to have a great 2017 season, but I am guess the league is going to force them to play out the season.

Yeah, no - I don't get tired of watching the Pats dominate.  Especially knowing we are very close to seeing a Brady/Belichick-less team. 

Enjoy it.  It will be over before you know it and you will miss these days

Tom Brady's stolen Super Bowl jerseys found in possession of international media member

8:14 AM PT

Tom Brady's stolen jersey from this year's Super Bowl has been recovered after being found in the possession of an unidentified member of the international media, according to the NFL.

The league announced Monday that the New England Patriots quarterback's game-worn jerseys from Super Bowl LI and another, missing from Super Bowl XLIX, were retrieved after an investigation led by the FBI.

The jerseys were found in Mexico and currently are being authenticated by authorities, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said.

Acevedo also tweeted about the recovery of the jerseys.

"Through the cooperation of the NFL and New England Patriots' security teams, the FBI and other law enforcement authorities, the Super Bowl LI jersey worn last month by MVP Tom Brady has been recovered," the NFL said in its statement. "Also retrieved during the ongoing investigation was the jersey Brady wore in the Patriots' victory in Super Bowl XLIX against the Seattle Seahawks in 2015.

"The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media. Due to the ongoing investigation, we would refer any additional questions to the FBI."

Following the Patriots' 34-28 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI, Brady immediately realized his jersey was taken from a bag he had put it in in the locker room.

"It's unfortunate, because that's a nice piece of memorabilia," Brady told the media a day later. "If it shows up on eBay or something, somebody let me know. I'll try to track that down. ... Those are pretty special ones to keep. But what can you do? I'll take the ring. That's good enough for me."

A week later, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, on the Fox Business Network, compared taking the Brady jersey to "taking a great Chagall or Picasso."

In its report, the Houston Police assigned a value of $500,000 to the jersey, the same number sports auctioneer Ken Goldin, who has sold game-used Brady jerseys before, said he believed it was worth if it were to hit the open market. Game-used Brady jerseys from regular season games have been sold in the $50,000 range.

The Houston police classified the alleged theft of Brady's Super Bowl LI jersey as a first-degree felony.

How did this person get the Seahawks jersey too? No one noticed it missing in all this time? Brady carrying around with him? Odd.

EEI had a rumor that they also recovered Von Miller's helmet and cleats from last years SB.... and the guys credentials were bogus. Whatever- this total loser should spend some time in a Mexican jail with a strong Pats fan base, see how it goes. 

There's more Butler rumblings, like a deal is in place with NO except the final guaranteed money #...... still up to Butler. 

Pats should AT LEAST hold NO for their 11th, the 32nd is way too little- but better yet, there's still hope that Butler stays a Pat.

Last edited by a moderator:
EEI had a rumor that they also recovered Von Miller's helmet and cleats from last years SB.... and the guys credentials were bogus. Whatever- this total loser should spend some time in a Mexican jail with a strong Pats fan base, see how it goes. 

There's more Butler rumblings, like a deal is in place with NO except the final guaranteed money #...... still up to Butler. 

Pats should AT LEAST hold NO for their 11th, the 32nd is way too little- but better yet, there's still hope that Butler stays a Pat.
Zero chance NO is giving up the 11th pick for Butler

Zero chance NO is giving up the 11th pick for Butler
Can someone clear this up?  I thought that if a team signs someone who has a first round tender then the other team gets their first round pick.  I didn't know there was any conditions on it.  So, to me, this would mean the Saints signing Butler sends the Saints 1.11 pick to the Pats.

What am I missing?

That is correct, it would be the Saints 11th pick.... It might not happen but there is a chance, not "zero chance" (how do you know that, do you work for the Saints?) 

Saints sign him to offer sheet, Pats match....

Can someone clear this up?  I thought that if a team signs someone who has a first round tender then the other team gets their first round pick.  I didn't know there was any conditions on it.  So, to me, this would mean the Saints signing Butler sends the Saints 1.11 pick to the Pats.

What am I missing?
The Saints haven't signed him, but it appears there is a deal in principle on the table.  I'm assuming there are trade negotiations going on.  Saints aren't giving up the 11.  I've read reports that the deal will be for the 32, but that only makes sense if they get other pick in return.  The Saints 42 pick seems the most logical, but I guess we'll see

What am I missing?
If the Saints sign Butler to an offer sheet by way of the RFA process, then NE would have the option to either match or take the Saints actual first round pick as compensation. However, if the two sides come to an agreement on a trade and NOT through the official RFA offer sheet process, they can do whatever they want.

To complete the trade, Butler will have to sign the tender offer to offically become property of the Patriots, and then they can trade him for whatever they want in return.

I suspect the details of the trade have already been agreed upon since the Cooks deal. Even though nothing could be official.

Pats will get their 1.32 back so this is essentially a Butler for Cooks deal ... but the Cooks deal had to go down early so that NO didn't get stuck with paying his roster bonus.

Butler couldn't be traded because of contract negotiations between NO and Butler that needed to conclude.

No reason Saints would give more for Butler than Pats did for Cooks.

It was be crazy for New Orleans to give pick 11 here. Why not trade down now into the top of the 2nd round and add picks. Probsbly get a 3rd and 2018 2nd rounder added in and give the 1.32 as compensation. 

It was be crazy for New Orleans to give pick 11 here. Why not trade down now into the top of the 2nd round and add picks. Probsbly get a 3rd and 2018 2nd rounder added in and give the 1.32 as compensation. 
I agree. Could have the #1CB (or #2CB?) in the draft at an affordable price for 4 years. This would make 0 sense if you are the Saints.

... not to mention a very steep price to pay for an undersized overachiever like Butler.

Not sure why it's taking so long to get this deal done. Hearing that Butler and his agent are working to get more guaranteed money in the deal with NO. Only rumors tho.

Unless there was some sort of understanding between the 2 teams during the Cooks trade, I just don't see why the Pats would trade Butler instead of letting the RFA process play out.

If there was an understanding, then I would expect something to be done soon.

Unless there was some sort of understanding between the 2 teams during the Cooks trade, I just don't see why the Pats would trade Butler instead of letting the RFA process play out.

If there was an understanding, then I would expect something to be done soon.
They cannot trade him UNTIL it plays out.  They can only deal him if/when he signs his tender.  If he signs with NO before that, they can match (and keep) or let him go to NO (and get their 1.11). 

Doesn't Butler have to sign the RFA tender either way? What is the point of him not doing so yet?

Does it give Butler some type of leverage?

Seems that he would still be able to seek a contract from another team. 

... and I'm confused as to why a team would have to give up their own 1st as RFA compensation  ... if they own multiple 1st round picks.

I would think any 1st round pick would be meet the requirements of a "1st round tender". 

Doesn't Butler have to sign the RFA tender either way? What is the point of him not doing so yet?

Does it give Butler some type of leverage?

Seems that he would still be able to seek a contract from another team. 

... and I'm confused as to why a team would have to give up their own 1st as RFA compensation  ... if they own multiple 1st round picks.

I would think any 1st round pick would be meet the requirements of a "1st round tender". 
No he doesn't, but from what i've read, it gives NE more leverage if he does sign it.  And the 1st round tender is in reference to the team's pick who would sign him.  I've already argued with a couple of people about this, so I'm not looking to get into it again.  There's no way NO is giving up the 11th pick or they would have already signed him to an offer sheet.  We'll see how this plays out, but if they give up more than either the 2nd (42), the whole front office should be fired considering the Cooks trade that already happened.  Butler isn't worth anymore than that, and the longer this goes on, the less I want to see this acquisition happen.

No he doesn't, but from what i've read, it gives NE more leverage if he does sign it.  And the 1st round tender is in reference to the team's pick who would sign him.  I've already argued with a couple of people about this, so I'm not looking to get into it again.  There's no way NO is giving up the 11th pick or they would have already signed him to an offer sheet.  We'll see how this plays out, but if they give up more than either the 2nd (42), the whole front office should be fired considering the Cooks trade that already happened.  Butler isn't worth anymore than that, and the longer this goes on, the less I want to see this acquisition happen.
It's gonna happen. And I would guess it will probably be the 32nd pick.

It's gonna happen. And I would guess it will probably be the 32nd pick.
That's what I've seen.  But I honestly believe there should be a later pick coming back to them.  Bad trade for NO, regardless of their current CB situation.    I'm hoping it's more like the Jones and Collins trade.

That's what I've seen.  But I honestly believe there should be a later pick coming back to them.  Bad trade for NO, regardless of their current CB situation.    I'm hoping it's more like the Jones and Collins trade.
New England got hosed on that trade. I hope they don't hose themselves again. I think Butler is worth a low first.

Saints resign Sterling Moore.  I know he isn't starter material, but he was our best of a decimated CB corps.  I seriously hope they don't cave in for the 32.  Butler is an attractive add considering the situation.  The longer this draws on though, I get a Larry Brown feeling about him.  Hope I'm wrong.

They cannot trade him UNTIL it plays out.  They can only deal him if/when he signs his tender.  If he signs with NO before that, they can match (and keep) or let him go to NO (and get their 1.11). 
Ahhhh, ok, I had it backwards. Thanks.

In an interview today, senior Kraft said he talked to TB12 a few days ago and Tom said he's playing another 6-7 years. I'll believe it when I see it, but still is Brady's mindset. If that is even half true, holding on to Garoppolo makes very little sense. 

I'd sign Brady for 100 million for 10 years, all guaranteed - and a 20% stake in the team. That would be in partial payment for what Brady has done for the Patriots and their bottom line. 

We might hear some Butler news this week. Who knows about Garrapolo.

I'd sign Brady for 100 million for 10 years, all guaranteed - and a 20% stake in the team. That would be in partial payment for what Brady has done for the Patriots and their bottom line. 

We might hear some Butler news this week. Who knows about Garrapolo.
I am glad you're not in a position to sign players on the Pats then.

Brady also gets the Cape from Dennis to Provincetown, all land north of Lynn, the NE Aquarium, his own Legal Seafoods, a personal train, and rights to Justin Bieber (can't be all good, must be some challenges).

Brady also gets the Cape from Dennis to Provincetown, all land north of Lynn, the NE Aquarium, his own Legal Seafoods, a personal train, and rights to Justin Bieber (can't be all good, must be some challenges).
How about they just give him Nantucket.

They would rename it "GOAT Island"

... and he could charge Belichick rent.

Still a long ways to go and nothing would surprise me but I would love to see a Butler-Gilmore CB duo next season...that would be a serious set of starting CBs...even if one got hurt you could still figure things out...

One thing this seems to indicate is that there was no deal made completely tied to the Cooks trade.  there's a little more hope in Butler coming back to the Pats.

One thing this seems to indicate is that there was no deal made completely tied to the Cooks trade.  there's a little more hope in Butler coming back to the Pats.
Agreed...you would think if there was this would have been wrapped up pretty quickly...

I understand Butler’s frustration with the UFA process, but if I were the Patriots I would accept nothing less than the Saints #11 pick for him. The thought of the Patriots getting back their own first round pick (which at #32 is a glorified 2nd round pick) for arguably a top five cb in the NFL is laughable.

At this point Butler should take out a significant insurance policy on himself and play next year out with the Patriots at the $3.9 million number and then hit free agency and attempt to get the break the bank deal he is hoping for, but has not materialized this off season for him.

He's not worth the 11 pick.  I wouldn't give the 32 back honestly.  This isn't Champ Bailey.

For what it's worth, he's apparently back in NOLA now.   I wish this would just die and he sign his tender.

I understand Butler’s frustration with the UFA process, but if I were the Patriots I would accept nothing less than the Saints #11 pick for him. The thought of the Patriots getting back their own first round pick (which at #32 is a glorified 2nd round pick) for arguably a top five cb in the NFL is laughable.

At this point Butler should take out a significant insurance policy on himself and play next year out with the Patriots at the $3.9 million number and then hit free agency and attempt to get the break the bank deal he is hoping for, but has not materialized this off season for him.
The problem with insurance is they only cover career ending injuries. They don't cover list wages or decreases in contract value if say he tore his ACL but could play down the road. 

It isn't a glorified 2nd rounder, it gives them the 5th year option which is pretty valuable.

I don't think it's laughable value at all considering he's only under contract for this year and isn't exactly happy at the moment.

It isn't a glorified 2nd rounder, it gives them the 5th year option which is pretty valuable.

I don't think it's laughable value at all considering he's only under contract for this year and isn't exactly happy at the moment.
exactly... a first round pick for a one year rental. Pretty dumb actually.

Saints would be smart to use the draft pick and sign Butler as a UFA next offseason.

exactly... a first round pick for a one year rental. Pretty dumb actually.

Saints would be smart to use the draft pick and sign Butler as a UFA next offseason.
Except Butler wouldn't be a one year rental. NOS would sign him to a multi-year deal in order to acquire him. And there's no guarantee that if they waited for Butler to be an UFA that they wouldn't be outbid (and the salary would likely be much higher than the deal they would have negotiated now).

Users who are viewing this thread