What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (10 Viewers)

Buffalo would be fools to let him get away. Tagged a 5th rounder! lol
This guy is a legit starting NFL RB. Was hoping the Pats would sign him to an offer sheet but then assumed Burkhead signing precluded it. But with Rex only on a 1-yr maybe they give MG a go as well. He's young and better than any RB they will get in the 5th, even in this deep class. Any team needing a RB should be after this guy. Sometimes I just don't get it.

Saw this on twitter. I laughed

Breaking News: Roger Goodell has suspended Tom Brady 4 games for Aaron Hernandez being acquitted of double murder charges.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Saw this on twitter. I laughed

Breaking News: Roger Goodell has suspended Tom Brady 4 games for Aaron Hernandez being acquitted of double murder charges.
Wasn't the murder that AH is serving a life sentence for related to his paranoia of too much talk about the murders of which he was just acquitted? 

Gillislee signed to an offer sheet, $ pretty decent too. Moving on from Blount, not sure I see this getting matched by Bills

Link
Between this and Burkhead the Pats are putting some decent short-term money into the RB position...after Hogan last year I could see the Bills matching...

Between this and Burkhead the Pats are putting some decent short-term money into the RB position...after Hogan last year I could see the Bills matching...
That could be tough. They have around $9M in cap room left.  I'd bet that the Pats front loaded their offer to make it very difficult for the Bills to match and also sign their draft picks.

That could be tough. They have around $9M in cap room left.  I'd bet that the Pats front loaded their offer to make it very difficult for the Bills to match and also sign their draft picks.
Yeah it's $4m. Can't imagine bills investing that much at backup RB. 

Really wanted Pats to go after this guy hope they get him.

Awesome move for Pats. But RB gonna be even more of a #### show than normal in fantasy. 

That was my question...definitely makes it difficult with how it is structured (just read it was 4 mil up front)...

In other news I just heard on the radio that Amendola restructured which is good news...he is great depth...

Yeah it's $4m. Can't imagine bills investing that much at backup RB. 

Really wanted Pats to go after this guy hope they get him.

Awesome move for Pats. But RB gonna be even more of a #### show than normal in fantasy. 
BB found some rule that he is going to exploit letting him have 12 men on the field as long as 4 of them are RBs or something

It's simple really. If Blount didn't want to play for 4m a year, they will get someone else to. Plus Gillislee can catch out of the backfield..

Honestly don't understand the move by the Pats, but I've learned to not question BB.  
He's better than what they had. 

The pats backs are a mess but what do people expect now from MG? could be a viable RB2 if he starts. Does $4m indicate they'd want him to start?  What happened to Dion Lewis?

It's simple really. If Blount didn't want to play for 4m a year, they will get someone else to. Plus Gillislee can catch out of the backfield..
He has 15 catches in 3 years, then 23 receptions in his 4 year ncaa career.  Are you thinking of Shaun Draughn maybe?  I'm sure he probably can catch out of the backfield ok, but Buffalo and UF didn't think so.

-OZ- said:
What happened to Dion Lewis?
Limited touches, James White got first crack last season then never stumbled. MG would be their 5th rb and his closest peer would be Burkhead.

MG, Rex and Dion are the only 3 down backs on roster atm so if they keep all 5 theres no telling as it stands how the backfield will shake out.

Davej626 said:
Have to believe if Blount was offered 4 million he's a Patriot right now. Anyone see any sources throw out a number to what Blount was offered?

Cleat Spike said:
He has 15 catches in 3 years, then 23 receptions in his 4 year ncaa career.  Are you thinking of Shaun Draughn maybe?  I'm sure he probably can catch out of the backfield ok, but Buffalo and UF didn't think so.
Well for the NFL he was behind one of the best pass catching backs in the league.  But yeah, you'd expect him to have more if he were good enough.  Still,  BB loves showing how much better he is at using players than the other East teams (Welker, Hogan, just to name 2)

Truly amazing how BB keeps surprising...this is the fourth deal this offseason (if it goes thru) where he has given up a pick (or two) for a veteran...

Another busy day for the Pats. Summarizing what I heard (certainly not official) . . .

- Butler signs tender, refusing to participate in "optional" team activities, trade anticipated before the draft. Still would rather they kept him, but this has irreconcilable differences written all over it. Too bad.

- Gillislee signed to offer sheet and BUF not expected to match . . . likely will spell the end of the Blount era. Offer was for $6.4 million for two years with $4 million due the first year. No way they offered Blount anywhere near that, which I still find odd that they would go outside the organization and pay more than a guy that's done well already in house. But I have no SB wins on my resume.

- OL Tre Jackson released. He didn't play last year but thought he would be a decent depth guy.

- TE Matt Lengel signed his tender and will be back. He scored a TD out of the blue last year and then seemingly disappeared. Not sure if he has potential or if he is just taking up a roster spot.

- Amendola again restructured, knocking his $6 million salary to something along the lines of $1.8 million with incentives.

- RB and SB hero James White signed an extension through 2020. No details on numbers yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy day, no word on the McCourty brother? It will be interesting to see what Butler does... Garoppollo..... and thank you Blount! 18 TD's is truly impressive.

Current NE Picks:

• Round 3 Pick 8 
  • Round 3 Pick 32 
  • Round 4 Pick 11 
  • Round 5 Pick 19 (pretty sure we lose this for Gillislee)
  • Round 5 Pick 39 (COMP) 
  • Round 6 Pick 16 
  • Round 7 Pick 21 
Not looking like they will be picking in the top 64, I feel like if they move Butler or Jimmy they flip that pick for Sherman?

Current NE Picks:

• Round 3 Pick 8 
  • Round 3 Pick 32 
  • Round 4 Pick 11 
  • Round 5 Pick 19 (pretty sure we lose this for Gillislee)
  • Round 5 Pick 39 (COMP) 
  • Round 6 Pick 16 
  • Round 7 Pick 21 
Not looking like they will be picking in the top 64, I feel like if they move Butler or Jimmy they flip that pick for Sherman?
Not sure if was mentioned here, but Caeserio just came out and said they only graded like 75 draftable players in this year's class which is low for them. So makes sense they have been trading picks for young proven players instead. 

Busy day, no word on the McCourty brother? It will be interesting to see what Butler does... Garoppollo..... and thank you Blount! 18 TD's is truly impressive.
Jason McCourty has played pretty poorly of late. He sucked in 2016 and IIRC didn't earn his salary in 2015 either. If the Pats were to sign him I'd recommend a performance based contract

Another busy day for the Pats. Summarizing what I heard (certainly not official) . . .

- Butler signs tender, refusing to participate in "optional" team activities, trade anticipated before the draft. Still would rather they kept him, but this has irreconcilable differences written all over it. Too bad.

- Gillislee signed to offer sheet and BUF not expected to match . . . likely will spell the end of the Blount era. Offer was for $6.4 million for two years with $4 million due the first year. No way they offered Blount anywhere near that, which I still find odd that they would go outside the organization and pay more than a guy that's done well already in house. But I have no SB wins on my resume.

- OL Tre Jackson released. He didn't play last year but thought he would be a decent depth guy.

- TE Matt Lengel signed his tender and will be back. He scored a TD out of the blue last year and then seemingly disappeared. Not sure if he has potential or if he is just taking up a roster spot.

- Amendola again restructured, knocking his $6 million salary to something along the lines of $1.8 million with incentives.

- RB and SB hero James White signed an extension through 2010. No details on numbers yet.
With White signed thru 2010, I can see them being set at RB for the next few minutes.

(tee hee - GOT YOU Anarchy. You're still my friend)

White obviously takes over the Deon Lewis role. He has earned lots of work this season.

Rex or MG in the Blount role. I guess both of them .... until one of them fumbles.

Lets make with the Garopollo trade already! I think Belichick has played "hard to get" long enough.

Nothing happened to Lewis- he is their most talented rb and I expect all these rb moves will keep him fresher and healthier. They will split a lot of carries between Burke, gill, Lewis, and white. I see a lot of Lewis and white lined up at the slot. This along with a lineup of cooks, gronk, and Edelman will be an impossible matchup.

Nothing happened to Lewis- he is their most talented rb and I expect all these rb moves will keep him fresher and healthier. They will split a lot of carries between Burke, gill, Lewis, and white. I see a lot of Lewis and white lined up at the slot. This along with a lineup of cooks, gronk, and Edelman will be an impossible matchup.
Not sure I 100% agree with this. Based on observation and nothing else, it appears to me that Lewis may have gotten on BB's bad side, as they didn't utilize him as much or the same as they did in 2015. From what I read last year, I don't think Bill was thrilled with how long it took Lewis to get back on the field and how he went about recovering from his injuries. Whether that means he thinks Lewis dogged it in his recovery, in the gym, in practice, etc., who knows. I think the net result is that Lewis lost some ground on the depth chart. 

In 2015, when he was healthy to start the season, Lewis averaged 15 touches a game prior to the game he got hurt. In 2016, he averaged 11 touches a game and should have been healthy by the playoffs . . . but James White played a much bigger role. The other notable difference is Lewis' touches were split  58% rushing / 42% receiving in 2015 but 80% rushing / 20% receiving in 2016. Because of that, Lewis saw his yardage total drop by almost 50% . . .from 95 yards a game before he got hurt in 2015 to 49 yards a game in 2016. His TD production dropped ever more, from 6 TD in 7 games in 2015 to 1 TD in 10 games (and another on a kick return).

Maybe I am overthinking things and Lewis will go back to the way he was utilized and performed in 2015, but I am not so sure of that. Bringing in two other backs doesn't really look like a vote of confidence in Lewis IMO.

White could have been the MVP of the Super Bowl with his performance. He's earned the confidence of BB and the coaching staff.

I don't see Lewis winning the job back from White at this point.

Belichick gave up a 5th and $4m this year for Gillislee. Can't imagine this was done without expectations of him to being the starter.

Not sure I 100% agree with this. Based on observation and nothing else, it appears to me that Lewis may have gotten on BB's bad side, as they didn't utilize him as much or the same as they did in 2015. From what I read last year, I don't think Bill was thrilled with how long it took Lewis to get back on the field and how he went about recovering from his injuries. Whether that means he thinks Lewis dogged it in his recovery, in the gym, in practice, etc., who knows. I think the net result is that Lewis lost some ground on the depth chart. 

In 2015, when he was healthy to start the season, Lewis averaged 15 touches a game prior to the game he got hurt. In 2016, he averaged 11 touches a game and should have been healthy by the playoffs . . . but James White played a much bigger role. The other notable difference is Lewis' touches were split  58% rushing / 42% receiving in 2015 but 80% rushing / 20% receiving in 2016. Because of that, Lewis saw his yardage total drop by almost 50% . . .from 95 yards a game before he got hurt in 2015 to 49 yards a game in 2016. His TD production dropped ever more, from 6 TD in 7 games in 2015 to 1 TD in 10 games (and another on a kick return).

Maybe I am overthinking things and Lewis will go back to the way he was utilized and performed in 2015, but I am not so sure of that. Bringing in two other backs doesn't really look like a vote of confidence in Lewis IMO.
No offense, but I think you're overanalyzing. This is an Occam's Razor situation. He was not as productive and limited because he wasn't fully recovered. Anyone who watched him in 2015 and 2016 could clearly see he was missing that It Factor last year. 

If he can get it back is TBD. But if he does return to form in 2017 I think he will leap frog White in touches regardless of contract extension and SB heroics of the latter. 

100% Lewis is/was the most special, dynamic pass-catching back of BB era. 

No offense, but I think you're overanalyzing. This is an Occam's Razor situation. He was not as productive and limited because he wasn't fully recovered. Anyone who watched him in 2015 and 2016 could clearly see he was missing that It Factor last year. 

If he can get it back is TBD. But if he does return to form in 2017 I think he will leap frog White in touches regardless of contract extension and SB heroics of the latter. 

I think there's a strong possibility Lewis could be cut before the season starts.

James White three year extension said to be $12 million with $4.69 million guaranteed. After several years of paying their backs peanuts, NE stepping up in the contract values this off season. 

captain_amazing said:
I think there's a strong possibility Lewis could be cut before the season starts.
Possible, but I think it's more likely Bolden doesn't make it and you essentially have Burkhead swapping out Bolden's ST play but a huge upgrade at RB. Then you have:

• Gillisilee (Blount replacement)
  • Lewis
  • White
  • Burkhead (Bolden replacement & main RB backup)
  • Develin
To me that is a near perfect RB corp. You have Gillisilee who really can be a 3-down back *and* short-yardage guy. Burkhead who can be the bellcow if/when needed as well as pitch in on special teams. And then you have two dynamic pass-catching backs, one of who is also a really good runner. Plus, a solid lead FB who can catch the occasional pass.

This would easily be BB's best full RB corp in NE and a template for future teams IMO.

Lewis is in a contract year and he is almost 2 years recovered from the injury.  There is no doubt he is better than white if he has fully recovered as he is hitting his prime. All these moves were   partly made because they want to keep there team fresh and deep when they hit the playoffs. I fully expect Lewis to be in on all 3rd down situations because he is there best rb by far when it comes to RAC.

Lewis is in a contract year and he is almost 2 years recovered from the injury.  There is no doubt he is better than white if he has fully recovered as he is hitting his prime. All these moves were   partly made because they want to keep there team fresh and deep when they hit the playoffs. I fully expect Lewis to be in on all 3rd down situations because he is there best rb by far when it comes to RAC.
I was late to the James White party but he has won me over...the Pats did not give him that contract not to be involved on third down situations...IMO he has officially taken over the Kevin Faulk role...

Anybody else having a hard time believing the Patriots will be going into the draft without a first or second round pick? 

Anybody else having a hard time believing the Patriots will be going into the draft without a first or second round pick? 
I don't think that they think there is much talent in this draft, so I am not sure they really care. I doubt they trade someone just to get back into the first or second rounds. They may trade Butler or JG if the price is right. I thought I saw they only had 50+ guys on their draft board for the entire draft. It wouldn't surprise me if the guys on their board are not high on other team's boards, so they might be content to pick up some obscure guys in the mid to late rounds. For the most part, they have not drafted many marquee players (I get that they rarely have a Top 25 pick). Last I saw, the Saints are barking at the Patriots demands for Butler, so he might not be going anywhere.

I agree for the first month and a half of the 2015 season Lewis was the most electric back they had at the time. However, in his 6 year career, Lewis has been injured and unavailable for 58 of 96 games (60%) overall and out for 18 of 32 games with NE (56%).  How does the saying go? The best ability is availability. Lewis has shown flashes when is is healthy and can play . . . but he hasn't shown that he can stay healthy, so a lot of the time he is out or tries to play banged up.

I reiterate that adding Gillislee ($4 million in 2017) and Burkhead ($3.15 million in 2017), while extending White (with at least $4.69 million paid out in 2017 in salary and guarantees) is not a vote of confidence in Lewis. Between the regular season and playoffs, White had around 80 receptions total. Put another way, White is now making what Edelman makes. IMO, Lewis has an uphill climb to get a big piece of the RB pie in NE . . . even if he might be their most dynamic back.

Yeah- Pats are ready to roll today, draft schmaft. But a couple 3rd rd. picks are sweet to have, maybe add a pass rusher. From the latest rumblings both Garapollo and Butler should be back... that would be great and worry about it again next year.

Let's take a quick look at this: White, Gillislee, Burkheat (maybe Dion Lewis?)------ Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell------ Gronkowski, Allen 

My word, if Brady and gang stays healthy this team will be AWESOME on offense. Some teams are going to get smoked.

I agree for the first month and a half of the 2015 season Lewis was the most electric back they had at the time. However, in his 6 year career, Lewis has been injured and unavailable for 58 of 96 games (60%) overall and out for 18 of 32 games with NE (56%).  How does the saying go? The best ability is availability. Lewis has shown flashes when is is healthy and can play . . . but he hasn't shown that he can stay healthy, so a lot of the time he is out or tries to play banged up.

I reiterate that adding Gillislee ($4 million in 2017) and Burkhead ($3.15 million in 2017), while extending White (with at least $4.69 million paid out in 2017 in salary and guarantees) is not a vote of confidence in Lewis. Between the regular season and playoffs, White had around 80 receptions total. Put another way, White is now making what Edelman makes. IMO, Lewis has an uphill climb to get a big piece of the RB pie in NE . . . even if he might be their most dynamic back.
I agree from FF Lewis takes a big hit. But barring injury I don't see him as any sort of surprise cut which seems to be Le Take du Jour with MG signing. 

Yeah- Pats are ready to roll today, draft schmaft. But a couple 3rd rd. picks are sweet to have, maybe add a pass rusher. From the latest rumblings both Garapollo and Butler should be back... that would be great and worry about it again next year.

Let's take a quick look at this: White, Gillislee, Burkheat (maybe Dion Lewis?)------ Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell------ Gronkowski, Allen 

My word, if Brady and gang stays healthy this team will be AWESOME on offense. Some teams are going to get smoked.
Any movement on the OL to wory about?

Users who are viewing this thread

• gdub