What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (8 Viewers)

ohhh, once again.... wtf?? SOunds like a good player but 2 blown ACL's already.. claims he's at 80%, no combine, pro day? Did he visit Foxboro? And why not just get him at the end of the 2nd? I understand liking a player but doesn't it make sense to know their relative position in general? I guess they felt he would be gone or don't care, idk. Bellichick (and Kraft) IMO- have cost this team at least one Super Bowl with this nonsense. Clay MAthews and Dez Bryant could have and should have been Pats. But oh, no!! the Patriot way. The list goes on. I do think they'll be damn good again, but LaFell, Dobson, Boyce and a hurt Gronk don't scare anyone. Let's get our #### together for day 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they get a TE tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohhh, once again.... wtf?? SOunds like a good player but 2 blown ACL's already.. claims he's at 80%, no combine, pro day? Did he visit Foxboro? And why not just get him at the end of the 2nd? I understand liking a player but doesn't it make sense to know their relative position in general? I guess they felt he would be gone or don't care, idk. Bellichick (and Kraft) IMO- have cost this team at least one Super Bowl with this nonsense. Clay MAthews and Dez Bryant could have and should have been Pats. But oh, no!! the Patriot way. The list goes on. I do think they'll be damn good again, but LaFell, Dobson, Boyce and a hurt Gronk don't scare anyone. Let's get our #### together for day 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they get a TE tomorrow.
No chance he'd be available at the end of the 2nd.

Heard one report on the drive home that seattle was planning to pick him at 32, just two picks later, but when the patriots took him, they folded up shop and traded down. No idea if its true.

Belichick said he was capable of playing every position on the line, whether outside, the nose, over guard or over tackle, and he was both a legitimate pass rusher and a disruptive force. When asked if he was undersized, he said it depends where you line him up. So it sounds like the patriots aren't just going to use him in a rotation with kelly and wilfork, but may move all of them around on the line. Could be interesting if he can stay healthy.

I like the risk for Easley, if he didn't blow out his ACL again he'd have gone top 10-15. If he comes back close to 100% he's a great bookend to Chandler Jones and can also play inside if needed. It's a calculated risk by Belicheck, that type of talent (if healthy) is not gonna be available at the end of the first.

From a big picture standpoint I love the pick as far as what they want him to do and what type of player he can be...pass rush is the Pats biggest need...they need to upgrade that area to get over the hump...almost every season ends with a QB making too many plays under little duress in the playoffs...if this kid can bring pressure from the inside that would be huge for them...with the addition of Will Smith to go with Jones and Ninkovich the Pats have the potential to be upgraded in that area...also, I like that he is supposed to be a high motor guy, you can never have enough of those on defense...that being said the fear is did the Pats draft another Ras-I Dowling...a kid with a ton of talent who they took early who can't stay on the field...that has to be a concern...so there is a little roll of the dice here...you can point to times where the Pats have hit on this type of acquisition and time where they haven't so it's really wait and see until the pads go on...so right now I will say I am cautiously optimistic about this pick as far as the player is concerned but am very happy that they are continuing to add pieces to their defense...

I like the risk for Easley, if he didn't blow out his ACL again he'd have gone top 10-15. If he comes back close to 100% he's a great bookend to Chandler Jones and can also play inside if needed. It's a calculated risk by Belicheck, that type of talent (if healthy) is not gonna be available at the end of the first.
More like top 5. Easley is one of those interior pass rushers who just lives in the backfield. He's a dominant, penetrating lineman who can be All Pro level if he's healthy. At the back end of the first round, it's a classic boom/bust pick.

I sure hope that Easley is better than the last 3 picks from Florida (all in 2010)

- Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall) - has been a bust

- Brandon Spikes (62nd overall) - good run stopper, bad work ethic, tough time staying on the field, big mouth

- Aaron Hernandez (113th overall) - :wolf:

I'm tired of the Pats trying to look brililant (highest ceiling) with picks instead of taking the players who they're pretty sure will be at least very good (highest floor).

I suppose Amaro will be long gone by the time the Pats pick? I'd trade up and GET HIM. JUST DO IT, it's ok, just do it... now! Picks mean little for this team, trade them for talent now, for this 3 year window.

IF this Easely gets healthy, could be a great pick, we'll see. That Dobson, Thompkins farce that went on the first few weeks of last year was total BS and a waste. What is the plan for this year...

I'm tired of the Pats trying to look brililant (highest ceiling) with picks instead of taking the players who they're pretty sure will be at least very good (highest floor).
I'm tired of AFC championship games too. If you can't guarantee me a Super Bowl win just don't even make the playoffs so we can get a top 5 pick. Other teams know exactly how each player will perform in the NFL but the Patriots keep swinging for the fences. <_<

I'm tired of AFC championship games too. If you can't guarantee me a Super Bowl win just don't even make the playoffs so we can get a top 5 pick. Other teams know exactly how each player will perform in the NFL but the Patriots keep swinging for the fences. <_<
8 AFCC game appearances, 5 SB appearances, and 3 titles in 12 years with Brady.

Compare that to (starting in 2001):

- 10 teams did not make it to a conference championship

- 7 team went to one conference championship

- More than 50% of the league went to 0 or 1 conference championship

- Two teams went to 5 conference championship games (PHI and PIT)

- Only three other teams went to 3 conference championships (BAL, IND, SF)

- Only one team went to 3 Super Bowls (PIT)

- Only two teams won 2 Super Bowls (PIT and NYG)

People can point to whatever they want to shoot down what the Pats have accomplished (cheating, weak division, having Brady, so so drafting record, too many thugs on the team, etc.), but the bottom line is that they have consistently been a contender. Sure, they "might" have been able to eke out another ring somewhere along the way, but compared to the rest of the league they have regularly been in the hunt. Put another way, the huge majority of franchises would take the Pats track record in a heartbeat.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

I hope so, it's just too preposterous to be taken at face value.

I don't know enough about Easley, I watched a highlight of his from 2013 and he looks amazing.

Easley against Miami (2013) It doesn't get particularly exciting till after the 1:30 mark.

Hes explosive, always first off the line, always disrupting. I'm not sure if this is after or before injuries however.

I think today will be a good day, I'm really hoping Seferian-Jenkins or Amaro somehow slip and the Pats actually take one of them.

8 AFCC game appearances, 5 SB appearances, and 3 titles in 12 years with Brady.

Compare that to (starting in 2001):

- 10 teams did not make it to a conference championship

- 7 team went to one conference championship

- More than 50% of the league went to 0 or 1 conference championship

- Two teams went to 5 conference championship games (PHI and PIT)

- Only three other teams went to 3 conference championships (BAL, IND, SF)

- Only one team went to 3 Super Bowls (PIT)

- Only two teams won 2 Super Bowls (PIT and NYG)

People can point to whatever they want to shoot down what the Pats have accomplished (cheating, weak division, having Brady, so so drafting record, too many thugs on the team, etc.), but the bottom line is that they have consistently been a contender. Sure, they "might" have been able to eke out another ring somewhere along the way, but compared to the rest of the league they have regularly been in the hunt. Put another way, the huge majority of franchises would take the Pats track record in a heartbeat.
Good post. I am sick of hearing people complain about who the Patriots take or what free agents they sign. No one gets them all right and wins all the time. Look at a lot of the other dynasties in the NFL. They usually have a nice 4 to 7 year run and fade away. The Patriots are going on 14 years with Brady and if you want to count all the way back to the 1996 team they are on almost a 20 year run. Enjoy it, it doesn't happen very often.

Complete sarcasm. My thoughts align with Anarchy and msudaisy. Fans who cannot appreciate this ridiculous run have become so tiresome over the last few seasons. Even living here you would think they have gone 4-12 the last couple of seasons the way fans talk. No appreciation for the level of difficulty of winning consistently in the NFL.

Complete sarcasm. My thoughts align with Anarchy and msudaisy. Fans who cannot appreciate this ridiculous run have become so tiresome over the last few seasons. Even living here you would think they have gone 4-12 the last couple of seasons the way fans talk. No appreciation for the level of difficulty of winning consistently in the NFL.
:thumbup: Agreed - it is entirely frustrating to hear and read various fans question and nitpick every little decision made by BB and the Pats, as if it were the end of the world and as if no other teams ever makes mistakes. Being a critic is one thing; being arrogant is another.

What can they get for Mallett?

That Garrarrararrrrafalllllalllllo pick has to be a pre-cursor to trading coke boy.

At this point I don't think the Pats are gonna trade Mallet this season, I don't think they would start the season with only a rookie as a backup.

At this point I don't think the Pats are gonna trade Mallet this season, I don't think they would start the season with only a rookie as a backup.
I agree, this was a solid pick. Let him develop behind Brady for two years and then if he is ready you trade Brady while he still has value.

Frustrating day 2...can't say I'm happy about finishing the second and third round with nothing that will help them this year...I honestly could care less about the post-Brady era right now...just win another title in the next few years and deal with that later...my goal is not to turn into the Atlanta Braves...this team is right there and another quality player or two can be the difference...hopefully they have a big day three with three #4's...

On the bright side I am hoping that the QB pick means that BB is not even thinking of retiring...can't see him making this pick if his window is closing...

Frustrating day 2...can't say I'm happy about finishing the second and third round with nothing that will help them this year...I honestly could care less about the post-Brady era right

now...just win another title in the next few years and deal with that later...my goal is not to turn into the Atlanta Braves...this team is right there and another quality player or two can be the

difference...hopefully they have a big day three with three #4's...

On the bright side I am hoping that the QB pick

means that BB is not even thinking of retiring...can't see him making this pick if his window is closing...
When he retires as coach my guess is he stays on as GM so I wouldn't read too much into what this pick means in terms of when he stops coaching.

Frustrating day 2...can't say I'm happy about finishing the second and third round with nothing that will help them this year...I honestly could care less about the post-Brady era right

now...just win another title in the next few years and deal with that later...my goal is not to turn into the Atlanta Braves...this team is right there and another quality player or two can be the

difference...hopefully they have a big day three with three #4's...

On the bright side I am hoping that the QB pick

means that BB is not even thinking of retiring...can't see him making this pick if his window is closing...
When he retires as coach my guess is he stays on as GM so I wouldn't read too much into what this pick means in terms of when he stops coaching.
That could be the case as well...bottom-line is this is a pick with an eye to the future...it gets them no closer to a title within the next two years

Exactly how many starting positions are up for grabs? Easley was their first pick and he will be a rotational player this year. The idea that they reduce their chance of winning next year by drafting a QB for the future as opposed to a depth pick doesn't hold much water.

Exactly how many starting positions are up for grabs? Easley was their first pick and he will be a rotational player this year. The idea that they reduce their chance of winning next year by drafting a QB for the future as opposed to a depth pick doesn't hold much water.
Disagree...this team is real close...they have one of the best QBs of all time with a closing window...during this window who their backup is doesn't really matter...if Brady goes down they aren't winning it regardless of who the backup is...adding another TE, or Safety or pass-rusher helps them far more than a player who has zero chance of seeing the field next year if Brady stays healthy...especially if they hit on that pick and get another Gronk, Hernandez, Volmer, Samuel, Ridley, Collins or Logan Ryan (i.e. a kid who can contribute in year one who they got after the first round)...the Pats are right there and adding another player or two that can contribute in 2014 could be the difference between winning a title and losing in the AFC championship team...

Pretty sure they have three picks in the next round and several others after that to round out the roster. If they hit on half of the rest of their picks and Easley is a factor than it will be a very successful draft.

Disagree...this team is real close...they have one of the best QBs of all time with a closing window...during this window who their backup is doesn't really matter...if Brady goes down they aren't winning it regardless of who the backup is...adding another TE, or Safety or pass-rusher helps them far more than a player who has zero chance of seeing the field next year if Brady stays healthy...especially if they hit on that pick and get another Gronk, Hernandez, Volmer, Samuel, Ridley, Collins or Logan Ryan (i.e. a kid who can contribute in year one who they got after the first round)...the Pats are right there and adding another player or two that can contribute in 2014 could be the difference between winning a title and losing in the AFC championship team...
This only thing I can say is the Pats MUST believe that Garrapolo is the next Brady. Otherwise spending a 2nd round pick on a backup QB is dumb.

This only thing I can say is the Pats MUST believe that Garrapolo is the next Brady. Otherwise spending a 2nd round pick on a backup QB is dumb.
Agreed...if he is another Davey, O'Connell or Mallet it will really be painful...I'm sure the kid is a very good prospect but unless they see him as being a potential high-end starter for the decade after Brady I just don't see the need...he doesn't help them win in the next two-three years which is all I am really concerned with right now...

you trade Brady while he still has value.
No effin way.

Thats not how you want future potential free agents/players to see how you treat your greatest player ever.

He stays until the very end, unless he becomes unreasonable.
Joe Montana was traded. Peyton Manning was released. NFL teams have no loyalty to their players. I doubt Brady ever plays for another team but Montana and Manning shows that everyone is expendable in the NFL.

When you starting QB starts showing up in public looking like this you need to start taking precautions.

bradyblonde.jpg

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/05/tom-brady-has-a-blonde-fauxhawk-high-waisted-red-pants/

This draft really looks like a train wreck for the Pats. WEEI just had a beat reporter on who sat next to Easley at the dinner at the Combine. She said the guy was a flake. All he talked about was cartoons. He also told her he doesn't watch much film and game tape - he doesn't like it. She said she remembers distinctly walking away from the Combine knowing exactly who the Patriots would NOT be drafting.

And then a backup QB in round 2???? What an absolute waste of a pick. They could have traded that pick and moved up in round 1 to get an impact talent.

Really really poor job. And I'm a Pats fan.

This draft really looks like a train wreck for the Pats. WEEI just had a beat reporter on who sat next to Easley at the dinner at the Combine. She said the guy was a flake. All he talked

about was cartoons. He also told her he doesn't watch much film and game tape - he doesn't like it. She said she remembers distinctly walking away from the Combine knowing exactly who

the Patriots would NOT be drafting.

And then a backup QB in round 2???? What an absolute waste of a pick. They could have

traded that pick and moved up in round 1 to get an impact talent.

Really really poor job. And I'm a Pats fan.
You lost me at she

knowing they were going QB and DL in rounds one and 2, I would have much preferred to grab Bridgewater and Nix with those 2 picks. Cest la vie.

OK…just got back to house. Haven't been watching draft coverage. WTF are the Patriots not doing in the 3rd? Didn't they have 3 freakin picks? I'm about to drive to Belichick's house and bust him in the mouth.

Beli is a great coach but he is horrible at drafting. ....as in the worst in the league.

Biggest crock of ##### I've ever read.In such a talented, deep draft - with a ton of

picks - they still managed to screw it up. Like the guy above said, they could have had Bridgewater and Nix.
Yes, your analysis is much more thorough and fact based.

Users who are viewing this thread