What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

Hit the 25 pounds lost mark today! Been doing MFP for two months.

Next goal: Getting under 200 for the first time in years (I'm at 202 today).
That's fast if under 200 is your goal. I plateaued at 240 and it took extended IF to break it. I plateaued at 205 and probably could have just called it a successful diet, but getting under 200 was my original goal. It took months to shed those last few pounds and their always hanging out in the fridge ready to come aboard. 199 this morning.
Congrats on breaking 200.

My goal is to be closer to 175 or 180, but it has been years since I was below 200. It has also been years since I have done anything intentional in terms of eating habits and exercise.

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting under 200 since I have lost most of my weight to this point without much exercise. I started to exercise when I started with MFP, but I hurt my knee after a couple weeks and am just now getting back to it.
I haven't been below 200 in 25 years and, quite frankly, I didn't like how I looked/felt then. If I can get right around 200 and stay there, I'll be very happy/healthy
nice.... it's funny I am at 200 for years....it's an easy weight for me to maintain. That's said I feel like a blob

That's fast if under 200 is your goal. I plateaued at 240 and it took extended IF to break it. I plateaued at 205 and probably could have just called it a successful diet, but getting under 200 was my original goal. It took months to shed those last few pounds and their always hanging out in the fridge ready to come aboard. 199 this morning.

My goal is to be closer to 175 or 180, but it has been years since I was below 200. It has also been years since I have done anything intentional in terms of eating habits and exercise.

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting under 200 since I have lost most of my weight to this point without much exercise. I started to exercise when I started with MFP, but I hurt my knee after a couple weeks and am just now getting back to it.
I haven't been below 200 in 25 years and, quite frankly, I didn't like how I looked/felt then. If I can get right around 200 and stay there, I'll be very happy/healthy
nice.... it's funny I am at 200 for years....it's an easy weight for me to maintain. That's said I feel like a blob
How tall? I'm 6'0" and definitely "big boned"... carry a lot of my weight in my legs back to my days as a catcher :nohomo: When I got below 200 before my wedding (25 years ago), my upper body was close to frail and my lower body stayed about the same. I'm fine with 200#

How tall? I'm 6'0" and definitely "big boned"... carry a lot of my weight in my legs back to my days as a catcher :nohomo: When I got below 200 before my wedding (25 years ago), my upper body was close to frail and my lower body stayed about the same. I'm fine with 200#
i am 5'8" big legs .... my best shape was 175 180 but very little fat. I'll get down to 180 feel great but won't look like college 180 :)

What do you low carb guys consider low carb? I know Atkins is like 20-25g to begin with. Not really looking to do a "diet" but I really want to clean up this area of my eating.

215-210 has traditionally been a set point for me, but I'm not sure what that really means. In the past, as I got under 230, I started getting really serious about exercise. So I'd start running 40 miles a week. Or I'd start working out with a personal trainer. And my weight would tend to stall around the same time. I'd continue to get faster/stronger and even lose an inch or so, but getting below 207 or so just didn't happen.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that I just started eating more. I'm sure I did with the trainer. Because there's a point 40 minutes into a workout while you're star crawling for god knows how long when you think "I can't do this fasted."

So this time, I might do the occasional "check-in" 5K on a weekend, but I think I'm going to stick to walking and bodyweight exercises until I'm around 200. We'll see how that works. I'm losing fast, but I'm not eating THAT few calories compared to doctor supervised programs. So I'm not worried about going too fast.

What do you low carb guys consider low carb? I know Atkins is like 20-25g to begin with. Not really looking to do a "diet" but I really want to clean up this area of my eating.
I consider < 100g low carb. some purists probably stick to < 50.
This is similar to my target. I don't consider myself "low carb" but I certainly try to avoid eating the 300 g of carbs that the programs say are normal. I try to come in around 100g, but I don't beat myself up if I have a potato and end up at 150 (or if end up at 60, for that matter). I don't aim for induction levels.

I consider < 100g low carb. some purists probably stick to < 50.
This is similar to my target. I don't consider myself "low carb" but I certainly try to avoid eating the 300 g of carbs that the programs say are normal. I try to come in around 100g, but I don't beat myself up if I have a potato and end up at 150 (or if end up at 60, for that matter). I don't aim for induction levels.
:hifive: I'm usually between 50-100 net carbs per day.

When I started a little less than two months ago, I was at 194 (5'10"). Set a goal of 175 and I'm currently at 177. Been able to get really close to 175 a couple times, but it's been elusive. Thinking about resetting the goal to 170 and pushing through.

When I started a little less than two months ago, I was at 194 (5'10"). Set a goal of 175 and I'm currently at 177. Been able to get really close to 175 a couple times, but it's been elusive. Thinking about resetting the goal to 170 and pushing through.
You need a sandwich.

bigbottom said:
Just curious. Have you tried to have your bf% determined? How did you pick 175?

bigbottom said:
I guess it's somewhat arbitrary. Haven't tested my body fat percentage, but I imagine it isn't good. Still pretty flabby around the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
bigbottom said:
I guess it's somewhat arbitrary. Haven't tested my body fat percentage, but I imagine it isn't good. Still pretty flabby around the middle.
:pics:

bigbottom said:
I'm just curious. We're the same height. Keeping in mind that the bioimpedence measures in bathroom scales are inaccurate, the best guess is that I'd be in single digit body fat at 177 (I'm averaging measuring about 165 lbs in lean mass on the Aria). So I'll probably get it professionally measured as I get close to 200.

I do tend to have very thick and muscular legs and guys who have been obese for a long time apparently develop denser bones.

bigbottom said:
I'm just curious. We're the same height. Keeping in mind that the bioimpedence measures in bathroom scales are inaccurate, the best guess is that I'd be in single digit body fat at 177 (I'm averaging measuring about 165 lbs in lean mass on the Aria). So I'll probably get it professionally measured as I get close to 200.

I do tend to have very thick and muscular legs and guys who have been obese for a long time apparently develop denser bones.
Yeah no way am I close to single digits. I did a fitness program a couple years ago when I dropped from 186 down to 169. They did a body fat percentage test using all sorts of wires and electrodes through a computer and I dropped from 24% down to 17%. So I was well into double digits even at 169. I clearly have light bones and no muscle mass.

hmm, I'm coming in about 110-130 carbs a day but eating really strictly. Need to see whats driving that number up

This discussion highlights the fact that people's and especially americans' idea of what is a healthy weight is far higher than reality. Hence the Dove "real curves" ad campaign and the continued fat acceptance. Telling someone at 175 to eat a sandwich is exhibit A.

Every 1 percent body fat over 10 for men is a risk for disease. Women it's even worse. their cutoff is like 18 which is harder to hit because they don't have testosterone.

This discussion highlights the fact that people's and especially americans' idea of what is a healthy weight is far higher than reality. Hence the Dove "real curves" ad campaign and the continued fat acceptance. Telling someone at 175 to eat a sandwich is exhibit A.

Every 1 percent body fat over 10 for men is a risk for disease. Women it's even worse. their cutoff is like 18 which is harder to hit because they don't have testosterone.
I used to fall into this exact same way of thinking. I'm 6'1 and I consider myself "big-boned." Don't most of us? When I hit my highest weight of 250, I was like, 220 would be the perfect weight for me. That's 30 pounds after all, I'd be a stick! Well, I hit 220, looked in the mirror, and saw I was decently less fat, but still likely 20% bf. Now I'm sitting at 205, around 13% bf. To truly get to 10% I'll have to push just below 200 or so. I'm carrying a decent (not a ton but decent) amount of muscle mass. If I didn't lift I'd guess I'd be 10% at 180 or so. The morale of my story is just what culdeus said, most of us way overestimate what our healthy weight is.

I haven't heard that at all. I've seen studies suggesting that "overweight" populations (by BMI) have fewer co-morbidities than "normal weight" populations (nobody disputes that obese populations have significantly more than either).

If you have a penis and your body fat is more than 10% then you need to cut.

If you have a penis and your body fat is less than 10% then you need to bulk

It is not that complicated.

I haven't heard that at all. I've seen studies suggesting that "overweight" populations (by BMI) have fewer co-morbidities than "normal weight" populations (nobody disputes that obese populations have significantly more than either).
Guyenet wrote a bit about this here.

The short answer is that certain diseases make people lose weight, which can make the "slightly overweight" category look good because they don't have AIDS or whatever. But if you go by a person's highest weight rather than current weight at the time of death, slightly overweight people no longer maintain their advantage over lean people.

phatdawg said:

Awesome. Congrats. Git er done. I'd love to get to 200...

Chaos Commish said:
Otis said:
This 101 fever and me feeling like crap is doing wonders for my night snacking. I'm not hungry, and since I'm beat up I've been going to bed early. Maybe sick is good.
Good job on the loss, get well soon and stock healthier snacks. Also, wth, thanks for this thread. I like having the topic on the front page even if you started it. I'm in maintenance but always need to be dieting. Just my genes and chemistry I guess. I've been really focused lately. My 5-4 140 pound tennis stud daughter has dropped 8 pounds because her dad hasn't been stocking any crap . She wants to be 120 by end of May. I never bugged her about putting on a few pounds. Just setting the example. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Chaos Commish said:
phatdawg said:

Damn. Congrats.

10%?? Oof. I'm something around 24. Down a few percent since I started this, but still a ways to go. Frankly I don't think I'll ever sniff 10. If I can hit 15 I'd be ecstatic.

The short answer is that certain diseases make people lose weight, which can make the "slightly overweight" category look good because they don't have AIDS or whatever. But if you go by a person's highest weight rather than current weight at the time of death, slightly overweight people no longer maintain their advantage over lean people.
But are they at a disadvantage?

Yes. The bar graphs are in the link.

Getting to and maintaining 10% body fat is extraordinarily complicated for all but a very small percentage of men.

bigbottom said:

Yeah no way am I close to single digits. I did a fitness program a couple years ago when I dropped from 186 down to 169. They did a body fat percentage test using all sorts of wires and electrodes through a computer and I dropped from 24% down to 17%. So I was well into double digits even at 169. I clearly have light bones and no muscle mass.
:wub:

Women have testosterone, Dr Oz.

Yes. The bar graphs are in the link.
Of course, in that case we're all screwed because we let ourselves get overweight or obese in the first place. I can't change my maximum BMI (well, I suppose I could fall of the wagon again and go over 3 bills).

Of course, in that case we're all screwed because we let ourselves get overweight or obese in the first place.
I wouldn't conclude that. I mean, it may be true; but I don't think it follows from the data Guyenet presented. When we look at the mortality rates of people who were thin at death, we get one answer. When we distinguish between people who were always thin, and formerly overweight people who later became thin, we get a different answer. Maybe if we distinguish between formerly overweight people who became thin due to disease, and formerly overweight people who became thin by dieting and exercising, we'll get still another answer.

Of course, in that case we're all screwed because we let ourselves get overweight or obese in the first place.
I wouldn't conclude that. I mean, it may be true; but I don't think it follows from the data Guyenet presented. When we look at the mortality rates of people who were thin at death, we get one answer. When we distinguish between people who were always thin, and formerly overweight people who later became thin, we get a different answer. Maybe if we distinguish between formerly overweight people who became thin due to disease, and formerly overweight people who became thin by dieting and exercising, we'll get still another answer.
I wasn't intending to suggest that was a serious conclusion. I was just pointing out that the data he was addressing was interesting, but also had its own limitations. I also wasn't suggesting that the earlier studies "proved" that it was better to be overweight.

But I know that doctors who treat obesity have told me that most health benefits are derived from not being obese, not necessarily by being your goal weight. The same way that we're learning that very moderate exercise has as much health benefit (as opposed to "fitness" benefit) as vigorous exercise.

I have no doubt that I'd be fitter at 175 than 190. Culdeus is suggesting I'd be healthier there (and more likely to live longer), and I'm curious what he's read to arrive at that conclusion.

Another way of putting this is that excess weight may be linked to one out of three deaths among US adults age 50-84
Really, Stephan? 84? I think most 84 year olds die FROM BEING 84!

I know my ideal weight is something like 155. #### that noise. 175 is where I feel best and was where I bulked up too in college from lifting not becoming fat

I know my ideal weight is something like 155. #### that noise. 175 is where I feel best and was where I bulked up too in college from lifting not becoming fat
:goodposting:

At 6'2", my "ideal" weight according to that ridiculous BMI scale is like 175. I got down to 178 when I was 21 and worked all summer as a barback lugging hundreds of cases of beer and literally a ton of ice every day. Outdoors. In Cincinnati. Anyway, I looked so emaciated that people were practically begging me to go to a doctor or eat a sandwich or something. And the BMI says I could have been 25 pounds lighter and still in the "healthy weight" window. :rolleyes: At 150, my body would consist of bones, one hamstring, and my liver--which is very dense.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere south of 190. My MFP goal is 220, which is still beefy but was my standard weight for a very long time. It'd be nice to do the little things again like running and jumping and putting on socks without a Herculean effort. :thumbup:

BMI is an average, so we know it doesn't apply to everyone. It still might work in large population studies because you'll get less muscled people and heavier muscled people.

One reason why I want a DEXA scan eventually is that it just seems weird to think of me as "heavily muscled." I'm not strong. But if the impedence method is even close to accurate, I don't enter the "normal" BMI range until I'm 175 lbs and like 8% body fat. I wore 31" waist slacks at 210. I get that those sizes are larger nowadays, but I'd be like a 27" at 175.

I'm still having a problem with the statement that "every 1% of bodyfat over 10% carries risk of disease." Let's assume a 170 lb man at 10% body fat (153 lbs of lean mass and 17 lbs of fat). 5% more body fat puts him at 180 (153 lbs of lean mass and 27 lbs of fat). That's a profound difference if the guy wants to star in Magic Mike 2, but I'm having a hard time believing it really means much to his health.

At 6'2", my "ideal" weight according to that ridiculous BMI scale is like 175. I got down to 178 when I was 21 and worked all summer as a barback lugging hundreds of cases of beer and literally a ton of ice every day. Outdoors. In Cincinnati. Anyway, I looked so emaciated that people were practically begging me to go to a doctor or eat a sandwich or something. And the BMI says I could have been 25 pounds lighter and still in the "healthy weight" window. :rolleyes: At 150, my body would consist of bones, one hamstring, and my liver--which is very dense.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere south of 190. My MFP goal is 220, which is still beefy but was my standard weight for a very long time. It'd be nice to do the little things again like running and jumping and putting on socks without a Herculean effort. :thumbup:
I'm 6'2" and down from 209 to 178. I'm fairly thin as this point, but I have some fat that can still go. Aiming towards 175. Absolutely no way I could ever get down to 150. I was 165 in highschool and was rail thin.

I've intermittent fasted, juice fasted, milk fasted and water fasted. All I've had today is beer. I think I'm going to beer fast for a few days for grins, and because I like beer.

I'm 6'2" and down from 209 to 178. I'm fairly thin as this point, but I have some fat that can still go. Aiming towards 175. Absolutely no way I could ever get down to 150. I was 165 in highschool and was rail thin.
I'm sure 175 fits for plenty of people that are 6'2" I'm just not one of 'em. I work much better as giant than wiry. :shrug:

Where can I see a good BMI scale? Wondering what my weight should be.

BMI is calculated as (weight in lbs * 703) /(height in inches ^2)

Scale is:

< 18.5 -- Underweight

18.5 -25 -- Normal

25 -30 -- Overweight

> 30 -- Obese

(There are subcategories in the underweight and obese categories)

EDIT: For instance, since I'm 5'10", every 7 lbs is one "point" in BMI (6.97 but close enough). So I can just divide my weight by 7.

Scale is:

< 18.5 -- Underweight

18.5 -25 -- Normal

25 -30 -- Overweight

> 30 -- Obese

EDIT: For instance, since I'm 5'10", every 7 lbs is one "point" in BMI (6.97 but close enough). So I can just divide my weight by 7.
27.9 checking in. Less than three over the normal range, and tend to be a thicker guy I think, so I'm probably even closer to normal than that.

Still, a little algebra tells me I need to get down to 205 (lose another 24lbs) to make normal. That's REALLY thin for me, like high school weight. But we'll see. Onwards...

Everything I see shows a bodyfat % for a middle aged man between 15% - 18% as good. Unless you want to get pretty ripped, I think this range is pretty healthy.

First off... the sandwich comment was a joke (defense mechanism spurred by jealousy) If GBBB feels comfortable/healthy at that weight, I'm ecstatic for him.

Secondly, I tend disagree with the "guidelines" presented to us regarding weight/fat/etc. Different people have different body types, so to group them into the same guidelines (like BMI, for example) is unrealistic. Case in point... my two oldest boys. One is 5' 10" 215#... big kid, thick, muscular. Could probably stand to lose 15 lbs. Below 200# he would be losing muscle. The other one is 6' 1", 190#. Lean, muscular. Add 10# to him and take 15# of the other and they look completely different at 200#.

My point is... saying a 6'0" male should weigh 175# is too general. A lot depends on body type (along with other factors). I'm at about 170# of lean body mass right now. That leaves room for about 5# of fat (2.8%) for me to barely fall within an acceptable BMI.

Scale is:

< 18.5 -- Underweight

18.5 -25 -- Normal

25 -30 -- Overweight

> 30 -- Obese

27.9 checking in. Less than three over the normal range, and tend to be a thicker guy I think, so I'm probably even closer to normal than that.

Still, a little algebra tells me I need to get down to 205 (lose another 24lbs) to make normal. That's REALLY thin for me, like high school weight. But we'll see. Onwards...
Still "obese" here with a BMI of 30.5. I'm not saying I'm thin, but obese? At what I consider to be my target/ideal weight, according to BMI I'm still on the high end of "overweight", or as I like to look at it, "too short"

Users who are viewing this thread