What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

Whole foods organic nonfat cottage cheese has the best protein to carb ratio I could find. I mix that with some pb2, half a banana and almond milk. It's a great way to start the day

Will say though that this skipping breakfast idea sounds terrible. Gotta get that metabolism started.
I've never seen a credible source for the idea that eating breakfast "jump starts" you metabolism. I have seen studies that have shown that people who skip breakfast, somewhat counter-intuitively, tend to eat more calories over a daily period than people who don't. If that's happening, Otis' log will show it.

Congrats to those making progress. Headaches and general ####ty feeling pretty much gone away for me so will be going back to incorporate crossfit. Weight should start to fall off quickly now. Have myself one cheat day over the weekend and it helped. Don't really understand those bashing Otis for them - cheat meals or says are a pretty standard technique.

Will say though that this skipping breakfast idea sounds terrible. Gotta get that metabolism started.
Works for me...

Keerock

lost 1.6 lbs since his last weigh-in! Keerock's lost 36.6 lbs so far.

ETA: I haven't eaten breakfast in 2 months... my energy level is surprisingly high, and theoretically, my fat-burning from 8am-noon is on overdrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whole foods organic nonfat cottage cheese has the best protein to carb ratio I could find. I mix that with some pb2, half a banana and almond milk. It's a great way to start the day
cottage cheese is high in casein which suppresses appetite and is a foundation of many IF-ers.

Congrats to those making progress. Headaches and general ####ty feeling pretty much gone away for me so will be going back to incorporate crossfit. Weight should start to fall off quickly now. Have myself one cheat day over the weekend and it helped. Don't really understand those bashing Otis for them - cheat meals or says are a pretty standard technique.

Works for me...

Keerock

ETA: I haven't eaten breakfast in 2 months... my energy level is surprisingly high, and theoretically, my fat-burning from 8am-noon is on overdrive.
And I drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning. That's got to do something to get the body going, particularly with the caffeine.

Works for me...

Keerock

And I drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning. That's got to do something to get the body going, particularly with the caffeine.
:yes: I also have caffeine in the morning.

No no no.

I've never seen a credible source for the idea that eating breakfast "jump starts" you metabolism. I have seen studies that have shown that people who skip breakfast, somewhat counter-intuitively, tend to eat more calories over a daily period than people who don't. If that's happening, Otis' log will show it.
It's along with the philosophy that small meals throughout the day are best to keep your body burned. But hey, definitely whatever works for people. I know skipping breakfast doesn't for me.

ETA: I think this is also a point for active people. Fasting may work for sedentary people but I just can't see it for those who work out in the AM.

No no no.
:confused:

unpack please

No no no.

unpack please
This has been discussed earlier in the thread but your body doesn't need food to get "started" nor does it need to eat many times during the day. You're body generally doesn't care when you eat, only how many calories you consume. And this is over time, not just a strict 24 hour window. There's also some thought (see the references to IF in this thread), that fasting actually increases the amount of fat absorbed. In reality, do whatever makes you comfortable and that you can sustain, with a long-term eye on fewer calories in than out if your goal is weight loss.

It's along with the philosophy that small meals throughout the day are best to keep your body burned. But hey, definitely whatever works for people. I know skipping breakfast doesn't for me.

ETA: I think this is also a point for active people. Fasting may work for sedentary people but I just can't see it for those who work out in the AM.
Also debatable and recently discredited.

ETA: :link:

No no no.

unpack please
If you want to start a deep dive into Intermittent Fasting protocols then we can do it. This thread is more a thermogenesis conversation. IF is beyond the scope here IMO.

Well, I guess if Otis goes on IF diet then it could be the next diet of the month.

He could go from

Atkins

MFP

IF

5:2

DASH

then start all over again.

No no no.

unpack please
This has been discussed earlier in the thread but your body doesn't need food to get "started" nor does it need to eat many times during the day. You're body generally doesn't care when you eat, only how many calories you consume. And this is over time, not just a strict 24 hour window. There's also some thought (see the references to IF in this thread), that fasting actually increases the amount of fat absorbed. In reality, do whatever makes you comfortable and that you can sustain, with a long-term eye on fewer calories in than out if your goal is weight loss.
What about the argument you hear about not eating x hours before going to sleep?

Well, I guess if Otis goes on IF diet then it could be the next diet of the month.

He could go from

Atkins

MFP

IF

5:2

DASH

then start all over again.
Actually, I'm doing LCHF/IF together. Two birds. Preferably prepared with garlic, olive oil and butter.

No no no.

unpack please
What about the argument you hear about not eating x hours before going to sleep?
Nope.

No no no.

unpack please
I don't think there is much credible evidence supporting any of these claims.

I don't think there's any physiological reason why calories at night are worse than calories in the day. But it does seem like evenings are a time when a lot of people snack on junky foods. I could see how not eating two hours before bed would be a good way to combat bad habits. Don't eat after dinner would probably be even better.

No no no.

unpack please
Must be the psyche that I'm saddle with, but the only way I accomplish this is by not allowing myself to get hungry. That means more smaller meals during the day.

If I eat our of necessity, then I'm fine. If I eat because of hunger, I'm doomed. I have simply have no off switch when I get hungry.

Of course, that eating pattern is more about how I'm limiting intake than worrying about getting my metabolism going.

I don't think there's any physiological reason why calories at night are worse than calories in the day. But it does seem like evenings are a time when a lot of people snack on junky foods. I could see how not eating two hours before bed would be a good way to combat bad habits. Don't eat after dinner would probably be even better.
:goodposting:

Unless you plan out "healthy" snacks for after dinner (almonds, veggies, yogurt, etc)

I think this is the key, and has been admittedly my biggest struggle with the lifestyle change. My weekdays, as I'm sure like most of yours, are pretty routine. Work, gym/sport, dinner, little more work, relax with a tv show before bed is pretty much my night 4 of the 5 weekday nights. It's in that last hour or so of the night where my wife and I either watch a movie or a show that, in the past, was pretty much always accompanied by a couple beers/wine/whiskeys along with like a bag of popcorn or even less healthy snack. It's a comforting thing though and honestly something I've enjoyed so it's been probably one of the hardest changes. Tried switching over to a perrier and cashews or a small cup of popcorn, but that's been a struggle.

Ran/walked 4.3 miles last night in 43 minutes, which is outstanding for me. The 5'6, 110 pound women next to me running faster than me was good and bad; frustrating because she looks this isn't a challenge for her, and I'm thinking well geez I could run like that too if I weighed 110 pounds. And good because there was a 5'6, 110 pound women running next to me.
Woman.

This is my achilles heel. I'm generally pretty good during the day, even when I don't try all that hard to be. It's at night, after a long day of not eating much, when I'm tired and stressed, and I crack a bottle of red wine, and I start to get way relaxed, and I can practically inhale racks of cookies. If I set a rule that simply said "no food on the couch at night, ever" I'd be slim and studly.

Maybe I should implement that...

This is my achilles heel. I'm generally pretty good during the day, even when I don't try all that hard to be. It's at night, after a long day of not eating much, when I'm tired and stressed, and I crack a bottle of red wine, and I start to get way relaxed, and I can practically inhale racks of cookies.
Thousands of dollars of cookies?

:jawdrop:

This is my achilles heel. I'm generally pretty good during the day, even when I don't try all that hard to be. It's at night, after a long day of not eating much, when I'm tired and stressed, and I crack a bottle of red wine, and I start to get way relaxed, and I can practically inhale racks of cookies. If I set a rule that simply said "no food on the couch at night, ever" I'd be slim and studly.

Have you had those Keebler chocolate mint ones? If I'm drinking you can assume that 2 racks will be gone by daybreak.

Have you had those Keebler chocolate mint ones? If I'm drinking you can assume that 2 racks will be gone by daybreak.
I've had them all. Yes, these are wonderful. So are the mint Oreos. No problem polishing off a carton. That's why I'm a fat [person] (edited by MT).

I've had them all. Yes, these are wonderful. So are the mint Oreos. No problem polishing off a carton. That's why I'm a fat fauck.
Oh man those mint Oreos :devil:

The 2,100 calories in those few racks can really jack up a diet.

I had stopped doing the FitStar bodyweight "Daily Dose" workouts because 6 days a week was just something I couldn't commit to.

So last night, I decided to switch to the "Get Strong" program which is 30 minutes 3 times a week. The good news is that there is absolutely no way I could have done this workout a month and half and 25 lbs ago. The bad news is ... ouch. My lower back and shoulders are really feeling it. Still not a convenient size to be doing plank twists.

Think I'm going to try an easy 3 mile run outside this weekend.

I'm really enjoying body beast. The program is easy enough to follow offline in a gym too without bothering with the videos if going to a gym is more convenient.

Of course i leave at 6pm for Vegas for 3 nights. This will be a "deload" though I could see doing a couple 7 min workouts just to shake off a hangover.

I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and I've seen some nice progress over the span of two months.

starting 1RM

squat - 215

bench - 165

deadlift - 200

ohp - 85

current 1RM

squat - 280

bench - 195

deadlift - 230

ohp - 105

I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and I've seen some nice progress over the span of two months.

starting 1RM

squat - 215

bench - 165

deadlift - 200

ohp - 85

current 1RM

squat - 280

bench - 195

deadlift - 230

ohp - 105
You must have naturally strong legs because typically someone's deadlift is more than their squat. Have you ever lifted before?

This 101 fever and me feeling like crap is doing wonders for my night snacking. I'm not hungry, and since I'm beat up I've been going to bed early. Maybe sick is good.

Hit the 25 pounds lost mark today! Been doing MFP for two months.

Next goal: Getting under 200 for the first time in years (I'm at 202 today).

starting 1RM

squat - 215

bench - 165

deadlift - 200

ohp - 85

current 1RM

squat - 280

bench - 195

deadlift - 230

ohp - 105
You must have naturally strong legs because typically someone's deadlift is more than their squat. Have you ever lifted before?
I'd call myself a novice lifter. Dabbled with the starting strength program then dropped it. I've stuck to this program since February, and really enjoy it.

Maybe my deadlift form is not very good. I'll look into that.

This 101 fever and me feeling like crap is doing wonders for my night snacking. I'm not hungry, and since I'm beat up I've been going to bed early. Maybe sick is good.
Good job on the loss, get well soon and stock healthier snacks. Also, wth, thanks for this thread. I like having the topic on the front page even if you started it. I'm in maintenance but always need to be dieting. Just my genes and chemistry I guess. I've been really focused lately. My 5-4 140 pound tennis stud daughter has dropped 8 pounds because her dad hasn't been stocking any crap . She wants to be 120 by end of May. I never bugged her about putting on a few pounds. Just setting the example. :thumbup:

That's fast if under 200 is your goal. I plateaued at 240 and it took extended IF to break it. I plateaued at 205 and probably could have just called it a successful diet, but getting under 200 was my original goal. It took months to shed those last few pounds and their always hanging out in the fridge ready to come aboard. 199 this morning.

Good job on the loss, get well soon and stock healthier snacks. Also, wth, thanks for this thread. I like having the topic on the front page even if you started it. I'm in maintenance but always need to be dieting. Just my genes and chemistry I guess. I've been really focused lately. My 5-4 140 pound tennis stud daughter has dropped 8 pounds because her dad hasn't been stocking any crap . She wants to be 120 by end of May. I never bugged her about putting on a few pounds. Just setting the example. :thumbup:
Funny... my 20 year old college sophomore son put on the freshman 40 last year. He's now following me on MFP and comes in under his goal every day :thumbup:

That's fast if under 200 is your goal. I plateaued at 240 and it took extended IF to break it. I plateaued at 205 and probably could have just called it a successful diet, but getting under 200 was my original goal. It took months to shed those last few pounds and their always hanging out in the fridge ready to come aboard. 199 this morning.
Congrats on breaking 200.

My goal is to be closer to 175 or 180, but it has been years since I was below 200. It has also been years since I have done anything intentional in terms of eating habits and exercise.

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting under 200 since I have lost most of my weight to this point without much exercise. I started to exercise when I started with MFP, but I hurt my knee after a couple weeks and am just now getting back to it.

My goal is to be closer to 175 or 180, but it has been years since I was below 200. It has also been years since I have done anything intentional in terms of eating habits and exercise.

I don't think I'll have much trouble getting under 200 since I have lost most of my weight to this point without much exercise. I started to exercise when I started with MFP, but I hurt my knee after a couple weeks and am just now getting back to it.
I haven't been below 200 in 25 years and, quite frankly, I didn't like how I looked/felt then. If I can get right around 200 and stay there, I'll be very happy/healthy

I haven't been below 200 in 25 years and, quite frankly, I didn't like how I looked/felt then. If I can get right around 200 and stay there, I'll be very happy/healthy
Last time I got in pretty good shape and was living a fairly healthy lifestyle I was at about 180-185. That was close to 10 years ago. I felt pretty good at that weight.

Users who are viewing this thread