What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

42 days into body beast program

Date weight BF% lean/fat

16-apr 149.5 12.8% 130/19

8-may 153.3 13.4% 132.7/20.5

20-May 155.2 12.8% 135.4/19.8

haven't added up my last circuit, but first 3 bulk circuits increased from 35,519 pounds to 38,278 pounds. Didn't pick up much this last circuit.

Still really like this program.
Last week before my keto cut. By my math I have 5 pounds of fat to lose for a six pack. Also at an all time high for lean mass. Wife can't stay off me and I have had two random chicks hitting on me in the last week out of nowhere. :flex:

Ugh, Jesus. Why does every article draw this false distinction? Pointing out that different foods have different effects on your appetite is not "debunking" calorie counting. Eating 1500 calories a day works. Not eating sugar or other high glycemic load foods just makes it a lot easier to eat 1500 calories a day.

I've been logging on MFP for a month now and have trimmed 4.8# off. Most people that know me think I don't have that to lose, but they don't realize just how soft my core was/is. My usual running volume has been significantly less this year (~40% less), yet I still ran 2sec off my 5K PR this past weekend (19:44). I have zero doubt its due to the diet change and being lighter. Following you guys in here and logging in MFP = :thumbup:

I've been focusing on getting more cross training in on rest/recovery days from running. I'd love some feedback on my little routine I've been tweaking. Keep in mind I'm doing this to stabilize my core and not be so soft; running is still priority #1. Putting on significant muscle is not what I want.

I can only max at 3 pullups, so I do that first before jumping into the sets. I'll do 3 exercises in succession, then take a 1-2min break before starting the next 3. Every set is at or close to fatigue. Any advice/critique?

Set 1: regular pullups (assisted - foot on chair) - Bicycles (abs) - pushups

Set 2: In/outs (abs) - chinups (assisted - foot on chair) - situps

Set 3: pushups - oblique V-Ups (L & R) - regular pullups (assisted - foot on chair)

Set 4: mason twists (abs) - pushups - chinups

By far, pushups kick my ### the most. Mason twists are also the fn devil.

Date weight BF% lean/fat

haven't added up my last circuit, but first 3 bulk circuits increased from 35,519 pounds to 38,278 pounds. Didn't pick up much this last circuit.

Last week before my keto cut. By my math I have 5 pounds of fat to lose for a six pack. Also at an all time high for lean mass. Wife can't stay off me and I have had two random chicks hitting on me in the last week out of nowhere. :flex:
Wow, the progress in this thread is pretty amazing. I'm assuming you're measuring with tape and calipers?

Date weight BF% lean/fat

Wow, the progress in this thread is pretty amazing. I'm assuming you're measuring with tape and calipers?
My gym has a pretty accurate system that is similar to a professional tanita system. I actually think it is a rebadged tanita. I try to be consistent on hydration level and timing of using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been logging on MFP for a month now and have trimmed 4.8# off. Most people that know me think I don't have that to lose, but they don't realize just how soft my core was/is. My usual running volume has been significantly less this year (~40% less), yet I still ran 2sec off my 5K PR this past weekend (19:44). I have zero doubt its due to the diet change and being lighter. Following you guys in here and logging in MFP = :thumbup:

I've been focusing on getting more cross training in on rest/recovery days from running. I'd love some feedback on my little routine I've been tweaking. Keep in mind I'm doing this to stabilize my core and not be so soft; running is still priority #1. Putting on significant muscle is not what I want.

I can only max at 3 pullups, so I do that first before jumping into the sets. I'll do 3 exercises in succession, then take a 1-2min break before starting the next 3. Every set is at or close to fatigue. Any advice/critique?

Set 3: pushups - oblique V-Ups (L & R) - regular pullups (assisted - foot on chair)

you'll get there. masons used to kill me. Now I do them holding a 25 pound kettle bell for 3 minutes.

Do some upright rows and lawnmowers to help you up your pullup counts.

I would also push your pullups to later in the workout because it uses so many joints it is better to get fully warmed up.

Able to (barely) fit into a 36" waist jean for the first time in probably 20 years :thumbup:
Just gave it a shot. Easily slipped into a 36". Slightly snug at the waist, but didn't have to suck in my gut to make it. Started out at 40", and that was getting dicey.

you'll get there. masons used to kill me. Now I do them holding a 25 pound kettle bell for 3 minutes.

I would also push your pullups to later in the workout because it uses so many joints it is better to get fully warmed up.
Holy hell.

Seems like some more plank movements (other than the pushups) would be another easy way to add core stuff.

Ugh, Jesus. Why does every article draw this false distinction? Pointing out that different foods have different effects on your appetite is not "debunking" calorie counting. Eating 1500 calories a day works. Not eating sugar or other high glycemic load foods just makes it a lot easier to eat 1500 calories a day.
While I don't disagree that eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight works, I believe that the way ones body burns the energy available (stored vs eaten, glucose vs fat) can make a difference in how rapidly weight is lost AND what kind of weight is lost (fat vs lean vs water).

I have not really followed this thread in a while. Kudos to all of you in here fighting the good fight.

I logged back into MFP back on December 28th. This was after getting on a scale and seeing that I was at 193. I am 5 foot 10 and have never weighed this much in my life. So, i got abck to counting calories. I started walking 1 to 3 miles a day. I have been doing that for the past 4 months. I am hoping to add back in some running now. I am at 169 as of last night. I may try to get another 2 pounds or so off but i am feeling good and moving into a maintenance mode now.

Ned said:

You seem to get enough cardio through running. Why not get some free weights and build your core and other muscles that way? I know you said you don't want to build significant muscle, but would you rather look like a marathon runner (skinny, no muscle upper body) or Michael Phelps (lean but muscular)? A bench, bar, and weights is all you need. Bench, squat, deadlift, rows, overhead press, pullups, curls. That's really all you need.

You can see the impact Culdeus increased mass has had on his wife. I will say that my wife also is a much bigger fan of the new me. You can be lean and muscular but not look like a bodybuilder.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
With BiggieHole coming up, I guess it's time for a State of the Scoob check-in.

First the baseline. February 27, when I started logging on MFP.

Weight -- 280

Waistline -- 46" Jos A. Bank dress pants (snug), 40" super relaxed Lucky brand jeans (very snug, I was literally "too fat to buy jeans in Georgetown") or 46" relaxed fit Old Navy (comfortable)

Shirts -- XXL

Health -- Persistent heartburn and GERD, apnea

Fitness: -- None. Climbing stairs was taxing.

Today

Weight -- 243 (goal for BiggieHole was 240, not looking good to make it, but I may weigh after a run just to trick myself)

Waistline -- 38" Jos. A Bank (comfortable, 36s are snug); 36" relaxed Lucky jeans (comfortable) 36" button fly Lucky Jeans (snug)

Shirts -- Between L and XL depending cut. Some L's hug the wrong places (or the right places if you're a boob man, I suppose)

Fitness: Do a weekly 3 mile run just to check out where I'm at. Doing it in about 25 minutes comfortably now.

Health -- Heartburn and stuff literally went away in a week to 10 days. Might be the avoidance of wheat. Might just be the lower calories.
Just so ya know, I'm a top.

Ned said:

You seem to get enough cardio through running. Why not get some free weights and build your core and other muscles that way? I know you said you don't want to build significant muscle, but would you rather look like a marathon runner (skinny, no muscle upper body) or Michael Phelps (lean but muscular)? A bench, bar, and weights is all you need. Bench, squat, deadlift, rows, overhead press, pullups, curls. That's really all you need.

You can see the impact Culdeus increased mass has had on his wife. I will say that my wife also is a much bigger fan of the new me. You can be lean and muscular but not look like a bodybuilder.
Because the guy genuinely loves running?

I hate running. Even when I did a lot of it, I liked knowing I had run but hated it while I was doing it. But Ned likes running. If I recall, he enjoys marathoning. Putting on lean muscle mass doesn't sound like a priority to him and I'm not sure it needs to be, particularly if he wants to improve his times.

culdeus said:

Date weight BF% lean/fat

No homo, but how about some before and after pics.

Also, while I'm sure your gym's measuring thingy is good, it's extremely unlikely (even if you juiced), unless you're a complete noob to lifting, that you gained anywhere close to 5.4lbs of lean muscle in just over a month). Plus gaining weight while losing bodyfat seems unlikely as well. If you never picked up a weight before, I guess it's possible.

culdeus said:

Date weight BF% lean/fat

Also, while I'm sure your gym's measuring thingy is good, it's extremely unlikely (even if you juiced), unless you're a complete noob to lifting, that you gained anywhere close to 5.4lbs of lean muscle in just over a month). Plus gaining weight while losing bodyfat seems unlikely as well. If you never picked up a weight before, I guess it's possible.
Well these are beginner gains. I had to layoff about 3 months and do mostly cardio and bodyweight stuff to rehab my RC. If anything I'd bet my first measurement was low on LBM and i had less water weight. I hadn't started a creatine cycle at that point.

I've been eating super clean with the exception of ON ProGainer 2x a day. I realize that stuff has sugar, but it's dextrose so sue me.

Not that anyone else is doing this program, but if you go to wowy or something you can scale it vs. this. I took my bulk weight week 1 from 39k to 51k. I'm in the last week of that phase now and lifts have flattened out a bit. If I get to 52k this week I'd be pumped. I'm also held back a bit because my deadlift is my entire gym at home now so I have to go to the big gym to raise it :flex: Phase 3 starts next Tuesday for me.

It's a truly awesome program. 100% weights for first 10 weeks then add back 1 cardio day the last 3 weeks.

I use the videos for pacing and form, but sometimes I just bring the run sheets to the gym and do them there. There isn't any wild ### P90x stuff in it. It's all just straight normal lifts.

Ned said:

I hate running. Even when I did a lot of it, I liked knowing I had run but hated it while I was doing it. But Ned likes running. If I recall, he enjoys marathoning. Putting on lean muscle mass doesn't sound like a priority to him and I'm not sure it needs to be, particularly if he wants to improve his times.
Deleted my first response since you responded in between. You nailed it better than I could answer myself. :lol:

I am too soft on the upper body, but like you said.... adding on much muscle isn't going to work. But there's definitely room for improvement on my upper body. The challenge is getting all this mixed in without adversely affecting my running. Right now what I'm doing hasn't hurt my running, but I also don't know if what I'm doing is worth a darn or not.

Tecumseh said:
Keerock said:
Able to (barely) fit into a 36" waist jean for the first time in probably 20 years :thumbup:
Just gave it a shot. Easily slipped into a 36". Slightly snug at the waist, but didn't have to suck in my gut to make it. Started out at 40", and that was getting dicey.
Started Feb. 10: 227, 38" waist, XL polo shirts

Today: 188.5, 34" waist, L polo shirts

Still a lot of work to go, but I have loved the progress and MFP has been the tool that has helped me hit these numbers.

Tecumseh said:
Keerock said:
Started Feb. 10: 227, 38" waist, XL polo shirts

Today: 188.5, 34" waist, L polo shirts

Still a lot of work to go, but I have loved the progress and MFP has been the tool that has helped me hit these numbers.
:hifive:

Ned said:

Deleted my first response since you responded in between. You nailed it better than I could answer myself. :lol:

I am too soft on the upper body, but like you said.... adding on much muscle isn't going to work. But there's definitely room for improvement on my upper body. The challenge is getting all this mixed in without adversely affecting my running. Right now what I'm doing hasn't hurt my running, but I also don't know if what I'm doing is worth a darn or not.
I don't think my post suggested you should run any less. Just that converting some of the fat on your upper body into muscle, while strengthening your core seems like a win/win to me. Someone who looks like Phelps certainly wouldn't have his running hindered by his build. It would likely help actually.

culdeus said:

Date weight BF% lean/fat

Well these are beginner gains. I had to layoff about 3 months and do mostly cardio and bodyweight stuff to rehab my RC. If anything I'd bet my first measurement was low on LBM and i had less water weight. I hadn't started a creatine cycle at that point.

I've been eating super clean with the exception of ON ProGainer 2x a day. I realize that stuff has sugar, but it's dextrose so sue me.

Not that anyone else is doing this program, but if you go to wowy or something you can scale it vs. this. I took my bulk weight week 1 from 39k to 51k. I'm in the last week of that phase now and lifts have flattened out a bit. If I get to 52k this week I'd be pumped. I'm also held back a bit because my deadlift is my entire gym at home now so I have to go to the big gym to raise it :flex: Phase 3 starts next Tuesday for me.

It's a truly awesome program. 100% weights for first 10 weeks then add back 1 cardio day the last 3 weeks.

I use the videos for pacing and form, but sometimes I just bring the run sheets to the gym and do them there. There isn't any wild ### P90x stuff in it. It's all just straight normal lifts.
Congrats. Sounds like you really like the program and are seeing mad results. I'm going to look into it.

Ned said:

I don't think my post suggested you should run any less. Just that converting some of the fat on your upper body into muscle, while strengthening your core seems like a win/win to me. Someone who looks like Phelps certainly wouldn't have his running hindered by his build. It would likely help actually.
How many competitive marathoners look like Michael Phelps? If lean muscle mass helped distance runners, then distance runners would look like sprinters.

Ned said:

How many competitive marathoners look like Michael Phelps? If lean muscle mass helped distance runners, then distance runners would look like sprinters.
Seriously? Did I come across as an ahole or something? If he likes to run, he can run, IDGAF. I'm not trying to stop him or anything. Just thought I'd give him some advice that with the time he already spends, he could do something else and get another ancillary "benefit." I never realized he was a competitive runner who worried about every ounce of weight.

Are you his coach or something?

Ned said:

Seriously? Did I come across as an ahole or something? If he likes to run, he can run, IDGAF. I'm not trying to stop him or anything. Just thought I'd give him some advice that with the time he already spends, he could do something else and get another ancillary "benefit." I never realized he was a competitive runner who worried about every ounce of weight.

I don't think you're coming across as an #####. But I think that all of us in this thread have a tendency to filter everybody's experience and goals in this thread through our own (myself included).

Which is why we'll have some in this thread telling guys to do more cardio. And some telling guys to do HIIT. And I just think a lot of those things are context sensitive.

All I know about Ned is what he's posted here. That he has some belly fat that he felt was holding back his running. Because the way to lose that fat isn't really all that compatible with the way to gain lean mass, I suspect that lifting with the goal of increasing his lean mass would be counter-productive to what he's told us his goals are.

Ned said:

I don't think you're coming across as an #####. But I think that all of us in this thread have a tendency to filter everybody's experience and goals in this thread through our own (myself included).

Which is why we'll have some in this thread telling guys to do more cardio. And some telling guys to do HIIT. And I just think a lot of those things are context sensitive.

All I know about Ned is what he's posted here. That he has some belly fat that he felt was holding back his running. Because the way to lose that fat isn't really all that compatible with the way to gain lean mass, I suspect that lifting with the goal of increasing his lean mass would be counter-productive to what he's told us his goals are.
I didn't mean to start anything here.... appreciate all perspectives. Outside of doing P90x 4 years ago, I know nothing about how to exercise (outside of running, obviously). But scoob has the right read on me. Sure, I'd love to be the Phelps physique, but that's not going to help my marathon times.

My ultimate goal is qualifying for the Boston marathon. I think that my diet, subsequent extra flab, and weak upper body/core are holding me back (as I mentioned this morning, I'm already starting to see results). Which is why I'm here mostly lurking...... Learning to eat right and get a better core. All for the sake of becoming the best runner I can be.

/hijack

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing insanity type stuff has been proven to help people's running times. You don't have to do that program hardcore, but box jumps/lunges/squats are known to drop run times. If you plateau your run progress consider it as an option.

Ned said:

That's fair, and I was posting, just as Ned noted, that his weak core and lack of upper body muscle could be hindering his running. My advice would positively impact those areas without putting a lot of muscle on him.

Anyway, I do get where you're coming from. I think we all do tend to give advice based on what we like, and where we want to be, so the point that others have different goals is well taken.

Good talk!

Going through a tough spell. I have a 96 day streak going on MFP but it is becoming increasingly difficult to stay on top of it.

I finished P90 (not X) and did the first week of P90M then decided that I had earned a week off (6 workouts/week for 13 consecutive weeks). Now I am having trouble finding the motivation to start back up (only done 2 of 3 workouts this week).

I have the goal in my head to get through all the P90 programs (P90, M, X, X+, X2 & X3) but I recognize that my body is not designed to take that kind of daily beating for 18 months. I think I will have to modify it to 4 days/week and extend out the time frame.

Remind me again why we do this to ourselves? Why can't I be one of those people who is fat and doesn't care? They seem so jolly.

I have the goal in my head to get through all the P90 programs (P90, M, X, X+, X2 & X3) but I recognize that my body is not designed to take that kind of daily beating for 18 months.

Remind me again why we do this to ourselves? Why can't I be one of those people who is fat and doesn't care? They seem so jolly.
I'm curious. Why is that the goal? I understand the goal to weigh X or to have X% of body fat or to fit in those jeans, or to pull a bunch of chicks. And I suppose I even understand the goal of working toward some athletic achievements. But this seems pretty divorced even from that. It's just kind of an arbitrary achievement.

Going through a tough spell. I have a 96 day streak going on MFP but it is becoming increasingly difficult to stay on top of it.

I finished P90 (not X) and did the first week of P90M then decided that I had earned a week off (6 workouts/week for 13 consecutive weeks). Now I am having trouble finding the motivation to start back up (only done 2 of 3 workouts this week).

I have the goal in my head to get through all the P90 programs (P90, M, X, X+, X2 & X3) but I recognize that my body is not designed to take that kind of daily beating for 18 months. I think I will have to modify it to 4 days/week and extend out the time frame.

You aren't really meant to roll them like that. 3 months on 3 off doing something else and come back.

The smartest ####### of a teacher I ever had once said he wished he was dumb, so he wouldn't give a #### about the little things. That has always stuck with me and I to this day am in awe of the completely oblivious people out their and wonder what it would be like to just be in the mind for an hour.

Maybe take a cool down break of a month or two and get into a new routine that works for you. Maybe not as intense but continue the workouts just not as tough. I know after I did insanity the first time I wanted to start over but my body just said no. It sucks knowing you should workout but don't have the motivation or can't. The past month I have been crunched with time while being sick with mostly a cough. I have barely any other symptoms but just can't sustain a workout for longer than 5 minutes without hacking. It's frustrating but I have grown to enjoy the laziness, which sucks, because I want to feel better and be in better shape, but sometimes you just have to go with what your body is telling you and make acceptable modifications.

I wanna look good naked.
Watch your diet, do some body weight stuff or lift some weights. You'd be surprised at the changes. Be patient and don't get discouraged.

You certainly don't have to beat your body up every day for months to eventually look good naked.

Huge week for me... -5.6lbs (-10lbs in the last 2 weeks) :eek: . Sitting right around my initial weight goal, which now is not good enough. Reset my goal to go -15# more by my 50th birthday in two months.

Huge week for me... -5.6lbs (-10lbs in the last 2 weeks) :eek: . Sitting right around my initial weight goal, which now is not good enough. Reset my goal to go -15# more by my 50th birthday in two months.
You're friggin' killing it. Keep it up! :thumbup:

You're friggin' killing it. Keep it up! :thumbup:
Thanks GB! Have to admit losing that much in a couple weeks is both exhilarating, and a little worrisome. I'm hanging on the exhilarating part at this point.

I am impressed. Great stuff! I used to ruffle feathers in weight loss forums when some 350 pound 5'5" hog would list her goal as 200 pounds. Good luck on the next 15. I feel great 10 lighter than my original goal.

Damn. Awesome man. I've fallen off the wagon in a tough way given the insanity at home. Haven't been tracking or watching numbers, though I have been eating relatively well, my pants fit a bunch looser. I'd like to get on it the way you have to start shedding some serious weight again.

Totally awesome man, good luck on the next goal.

Damn. Awesome man. I've fallen off the wagon in a tough way given the insanity at home. Haven't been tracking or watching numbers, though I have been eating relatively well, my pants fit a bunch looser. I'd like to get on it the way you have to start shedding some serious weight again.

Totally awesome man, good luck on the next goal.
I think part of the reason we post here is so that we can motivate one another and keep each other accountable.

I am sure it is crazy at home, but you can still make the choice to stick with it. I have never been as busy at home and work as I am right now, but I have kept with MFP. Looking at the bigger picture, I have not allowed my hectic life cause me to stop eating well and exercising. I have to make time between feedings (2 month old baby) and working on potty training and everything else that comes along with my 2 1/2 year old, but it is worth it.

It is hard, but you can do it if you REALLY want it. What has helped me is I REALLY want to be healthy.

proninja said:
Alright. I'm in. Started an 8 week challenge at my sister's gym on Friday. I did the weigh in, and I'm at 217. I'm 5'9''. I work in a bike shop, and haven't ridden regularly in a while. :bag:

Working out M/W/F at this gym. On MFP. I'm "masonet" if any of you want to find me on there and yell at me if you see me skipping days.
Good luck. Start riding again and watch your food and you'll be under 2 bills in no time.

proninja said:
Alright. I'm in. Started an 8 week challenge at my sister's gym on Friday. I did the weigh in, and I'm at 217. I'm 5'9''. I work in a bike shop, and haven't ridden regularly in a while. :bag:

Working out M/W/F at this gym. On MFP. I'm "masonet" if any of you want to find me on there and yell at me if you see me skipping days.
Welcome.

Without ragging too much on Otis, no amount of craziness can keep you from at least logging. You're not too busy to spend 45 seconds on the web or in an app. I suspect that you're really resisting logging when you haven't made the choices you want to make. But that's why we log in the first place.

Dropped 10 lbs in the last 4 weeks... In my early 20's i was very muscular, for the last 5 years more bulky. I weighed in this morning at 227, looking to drop to 215 by July 4th. Mid April I was between 235-240.

Diet has been fairly consistent for the last month with just a little cheating...

Oatmeal and some fruit for breakfast, 1/4 chic & veggies for lunch, & dinner I'll either do fish or more chicken - Breakfast and lunch are fairly consistent, dinner changes here and there... I love Cholula so it makes the boringness easier. Some nuts and a cliff bar for snacking in between.

Swimming a mile every other day, 4-500 push-ups every other day, & some freeweights twice a week. If you do swim I recommend getting a Finis underwater MP3... Works great and makes the back and forth less boring.

I actually took a before picture earlier this week, hoping to have an after picture within 6 weeks.

Dieting and exercise suck, but the last couple of weeks I feel like I have more energy.

Also taking some Garcina Cambogia.

Without ragging too much on Otis, no amount of craziness can keep you from at least logging. You're not too busy to spend 45 seconds on the web or in an app. I suspect that you're really resisting logging when you haven't made the choices you want to make. But that's why we log in the first place.
Just started logging again today. You're absolutely right.

proninja said:
Just started logging again today. You're absolutely right.
This is me. My failures with MFP in the past have been me going off the rails for a day or two and then saying "#### it."

I think I need to look at that as a normal and ok thing from time to time, and it doesn't ruin everything to have one bad weekend. Live it up. Then get back on the wagon.
Amen, brother.

Users who are viewing this thread