What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

DropKick said:
Major milestone: Hit target BMI. From a 29.1 to 24.9... Always thought BMI was a ridiculously low number for me but still think I could drop 5 pounds.

Lots of a hard work; some in the gym and some in the woods... but trail runs, elliptical work and some weight lifting has me back to college weight which isn't bad after a 30 year hiatus.

It's a life style change... I've failed before... just don't see a slip back happening this time.
For those who say "if I lose 20lbs I'll be really happy." It's likely you're significantly understating the amount of weight you need/will ultimately want to lose. Keep tracking down until you're happy and don't slack just because you hit some goal you made up for yourself.
reach one goal, create another.Never be satisfied. Always room to improve.
:goodposting:

42 days into body beast program

Date weight BF% lean/fat

16-apr 149.5 12.8% 130/19

8-may 153.3 13.4% 132.7/20.5

haven't added up my last circuit, but first 3 bulk circuits increased from 35,519 pounds to 38,278 pounds. Didn't pick up much this last circuit.

Still really like this program.

DropKick said:
Major milestone: Hit target BMI. From a 29.1 to 24.9... Always thought BMI was a ridiculously low number for me but still think I could drop 5 pounds.

Lots of a hard work; some in the gym and some in the woods... but trail runs, elliptical work and some weight lifting has me back to college weight which isn't bad after a 30 year hiatus.

It's a life style change... I've failed before... just don't see a slip back happening this time.
For those who say "if I lose 20lbs I'll be really happy." It's likely you're significantly understating the amount of weight you need/will ultimately want to lose. Keep tracking down until you're happy and don't slack just because you hit some goal you made up for yourself.
:goodposting: :goodposting:

I originally posted in here that I'd be happy at 210#... big body frame... don't want to be a stick figure. Well, I was wrong. I'm nearing my target and still disgusted with what I see in the mirror. Modified my goal to "under 200#"... and once I get there, I'll decide if further weight related goals need to be made.

I've been at about 170lbs of lean mass pretty much from the beginning (which is an encouraging sign that I've pretty much only lost fat). At 15% body fat that puts my "target" weight at 195#... :fingerscrossed:

DropKick said:

I originally posted in here that I'd be happy at 210#... big body frame... don't want to be a stick figure. Well, I was wrong. I'm nearing my target and still disgusted with what I see in the mirror. Modified my goal to "under 200#"... and once I get there, I'll decide if further weight related goals need to be made.

I've been at about 170lbs of lean mass pretty much from the beginning (which is an encouraging sign that I've pretty much only lost fat). At 15% body fat that puts my "target" weight at 195#... :fingerscrossed:
The mirror is the greatest motivator.

DropKick said:

Undoubtedly. It's nice when others notice, and when the scale gives me good news, but ultimately I will not be satisfied until the mirror gives me praise (which, incidentally, is still a ways off).

DropKick said:

Undoubtedly. It's nice when others notice, and when the scale gives me good news, but ultimately I will not be satisfied until the mirror gives me praise (which, incidentally, is still a ways off).
Wait until your wife/gf takes notice during certain "activities."

DropKick said:

Wait until your wife/gf takes notice during certain "activities."
My wife noticed last night, but probably just because my #### were finally smaller than hers.

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure which of those are worse.

Smoking or sugar. There is an equivalency between a tsp of sugar a day and cigarettes. I'm just not sure what it is.

Just checking in here. I totally wanted to blow off running on Friday night. Long day of work, and then I really wanted to just watch the draft and sit on the couch. Instead of running outside, I went on the treadmill and watched the draft while running for 5 miles. It sucked big time -- it was hot in the gym, and the draft is horrible workout material -- but I did it in good time.

Just checking in here. I totally wanted to blow off running on Friday night. Long day of work, and then I really wanted to just watch the draft and sit on the couch. Instead of running outside, I went on the treadmill and watched the draft while running for 5 miles. It sucked big time -- it was hot in the gym, and the draft is horrible workout material -- but I did it in good time.
I want your life.

The best cycling shape I ever got in was when I had my trainer hooked up in front of my xbox and I'd play gears/madden or watch 3 seasons of the sopranos while spinning out 90 min or so in addition to normal workouts. It's not a bad way to do things.

I want your life.
My life is not very rewarding because I don't have a wife and kids.

I am not complaining but... I've been losing ~2lbs per week for the last 10 weeks or so... now, all of a sudden, I'm down ~4lbs already this week with a couple days to go. Not doing anything different :oldunsure: :thumbup: :knockonwood:

I am not complaining but... I've been losing ~2lbs per week for the last 10 weeks or so... now, all of a sudden, I'm down ~4lbs already this week with a couple days to go. Not doing anything different :oldunsure: :thumbup: :knockonwood:
Awesome progress gb.

I just got back from a week long vacation in Spain. Dreading that my lifts would suffer from the break, I went to the gym yesterday for benchpress day. Not bad. My old PR for 145# was 10 reps, and I did 11 reps yesterday. Putting my 1RM near 199.

Today is squat day, and I'm interested to see how I do. The squat is by far my best exercise, and we must have walked 20 miles during our week in Spain. It's probably nothing but I really think my calves got stronger over the week. We'll see how it goes this afternoon.

and it's about time for another "dunk truck" bodyfat test...

You are absolutely killing it Keerock!

You are absolutely killing it Keerock!
Thanks GB... feeling pretty darn good. Just pounded out 2x50 pushups - one set before and one after my 1/2 mile walk to the bathroom :D

I just got back from a week long vacation in Spain. Dreading that my lifts would suffer from the break, I went to the gym yesterday for benchpress day. Not bad. My old PR for 145# was 10 reps, and I did 11 reps yesterday. Putting my 1RM near 199.

Today is squat day, and I'm interested to see how I do. The squat is by far my best exercise, and we must have walked 20 miles during our week in Spain. It's probably nothing but I really think my calves got stronger over the week. We'll see how it goes this afternoon.

and it's about time for another "dunk truck" bodyfat test...
Usually when you take a week off from the gym you come back a little stronger. Your muscles have had a lot of ton to repair themselves. I'll also be that you ate a ton so your muscles also had a lot of protein to repair/build with.

I've been learning quite a bit while tracking my calories on MFP for 3 weeks. On the top of the list: I consume way too much bread and chips. I felt like a smoker throwing out his last pack of cigarrette's this morning.... I tossed 2 bags of sour cream and onion chips. :cry: I've cut way back on the # of sandwiches I make and have been substituting whole grain wraps for the bread when I do want a sandwich. Not sure if they're great for you, but its a step in the right direction. Not eating chips with a sandwich or wrap is a totally foreign concept for me...

Since I started MFP, I've gone from 186 to 182.2 as of this morning...3 weeks on the dot. My shorts that were a tad on the baggy side are now falling off my ###. I haven't been this light since 1998 or so. Since I'm shedding some pounds, I've been upping my core cross training. I want to get leaner, but I also don't want to be a stick figure.

One thing I struggle with is how to get a handle of my sodium intake - seems like anything and everything is loaded with sodium.

I've been learning quite a bit while tracking my calories on MFP for 3 weeks. On the top of the list: I consume way too much bread and chips. I felt like a smoker throwing out his last pack of cigarrette's this morning.... I tossed 2 bags of sour cream and onion chips. :cry: I've cut way back on the # of sandwiches I make and have been substituting whole grain wraps for the bread when I do want a sandwich. Not sure if they're great for you, but its a step in the right direction. Not eating chips with a sandwich or wrap is a totally foreign concept for me...

Since I started MFP, I've gone from 186 to 182.2 as of this morning...3 weeks on the dot. My shorts that were a tad on the baggy side are now falling off my ###. I haven't been this light since 1998 or so. Since I'm shedding some pounds, I've been upping my core cross training. I want to get leaner, but I also don't want to be a stick figure.

One thing I struggle with is how to get a handle of my sodium intake - seems like anything and everything is loaded with sodium.
IMO, and I'm on an island here to an extent, worry about sodium later. And again, this isn't really grounded in science, if you do eat alot of sodium keep your water intake up. There's a relationship between sodium and hydration that is important.

If you have high blood pressure or are otherwise at risk then maybe look at that a little closer.

If you don't have high blood pressure, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about sodium. Anyone who runs as much as you do is going to drink a ton of water that dilutes the sodium anyway. As long as you maintain your other lifestyle habits, losing weight will happen with even moderate changes to your eating habits, as you're finding out.

If you don't have high blood pressure, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about sodium. Anyone who runs as much as you do is going to drink a ton of water that dilutes the sodium anyway. As long as you maintain your other lifestyle habits, losing weight will happen with even moderate changes to your eating habits, as you're finding out.
For what it's worth, I'm a sodium fiend and haven't really changed my diet at all with respect to sodium intake. It doesn't appear to have impeded my progress.

For what it's worth, I'm a sodium fiend and haven't really changed my diet at all with respect to sodium intake. It doesn't appear to have impeded my progress.
Same here. It might have some short term effects on water retention, but I'm generally over the MFP guidelines and I'm at about 35 lbs down since February 27 (gotta admit that it's going to be a close call whether I hit my goal BiggieHole weight). The most successful diet is the one you can stick to and I need to have lunch options that I don't cook myself. I can find those options with respect to calories, but low sodium options aren't really available.

I think sodium might be relevant if your body craves salty foods. I'll usually eat more salted nuts than I would eat unsalted nuts.
Sodium definitely is a factor in making "hyperpalatable" foods hyperpalatable. But that's also the reason why I'm not sure the studies about the dangers of sodium really tell us much. Processed food is loaded with sodium, but it's also loaded with all the other things that are bad for you. So it's tough to eliminate confounding variables.

I think sodium might be relevant if your body craves salty foods. I'll usually eat more salted nuts than I would eat unsalted nuts.
Sodium definitely is a factor in making "hyperpalatable" foods hyperpalatable. But that's also the reason why I'm not sure the studies about the dangers of sodium really tell us much. Processed food is loaded with sodium, but it's also loaded with all the other things that are bad for you. So it's tough to eliminate confounding variables.
One of the things I like about a ketogenic diet is that it requires MORE sodium. Never have to worry about it. Potassium on the other hand...

One of the things I like about a ketogenic diet is that it requires MORE sodium. Never have to worry about it. Potassium on the other hand...
If you dose sodium you should be dosing creatine also. Reasons are maybe too complex to explain briefly.

Still holding around 197. Not bad I spent years at around 220. Then down to around 215 for a few. Then 205. Now I'm trying to push down to 175 but I keep eating too much. At least I'm not gaining. Going to go Keto here for 2 weeks and see what happens.

I've only been running for 3 months, but I've made amazing progress. I don't quite remember where I was at before, but it was something like running 2-3 miles with a few walk breaks. Last night, after a really long day of work, I ran 5 miles in 47 minutes. I took 3 walk breaks of around 60-120 seconds, but that's included in the 47 minutes. So that's really, really good for me. I don't know how much faster I can conceivably go, but I guess the next goal should be to run the 5 miles with only 2 walk breaks, and then (gulp) with only 1 and then (double gulp) with 0.

I've only been running for 3 months, but I've made amazing progress. I don't quite remember where I was at before, but it was something like running 2-3 miles with a few walk breaks. Last night, after a really long day of work, I ran 5 miles in 47 minutes. I took 3 walk breaks of around 60-120 seconds, but that's included in the 47 minutes. So that's really, really good for me. I don't know how much faster I can conceivably go, but I guess the next goal should be to run the 5 miles with only 2 walk breaks, and then (gulp) with only 1 and then (double gulp) with 0.
:thumbup: Come on over to the 10K thread. I'll guarantee you that you can shatter that 5miler with focused training.

Went and did a Bod Pod body composition test this afternoon. The results were very interesting.

By way of background, when I started my diet/exercise regimen in mid-February, I was 193.4 pounds (at 5'10"). I purchased the Aria scale that links with my FitBit and also does a body fat percentage reading. I knew that readings of this sort were inaccurate, but I did find them to be consistent. At the beginning, when I was in the low 190s, the body fat percentage readings came in at 24%. As I lost weight, the body fat percentage readings started to decline. This morning, I weighed in at 171.4 (a 20 pound loss) with a body fat percentage reading of 18.7% (a 5.3% reduction). I'm in the upper end of the normal range on the BMI scale. And while there is still some flab around my middle, I've lost several inches on my waist and am looking relatively trim (though not lean or muscular).

So I went to my Bod Pod session this afternoon, not sure what the results would show. I weighed in at 172.3. My body fat percentage? 23.2%!!! Wow. Suffice it to say that my scale is understating my body fat percentage big time, and I still have a ways to go to reach an acceptable level of fitness. This was a bit of a shock (I was expecting maybe 20%), but was likely what I needed to avoid complacency and set new goals for myself. I'd like to get to 18%, which will require additional weight loss combined with strength training to build muscle. Lots of work to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought if you do the pinch test, you're okay if you can pinch less than an inch of fat. :oldunsure:

Went and did a Body Pod body composition test this afternoon. The results were very interesting.

By way of background, when I started my diet/exercise regimen in mid-February, I was 193.4 pounds (at 5'10"). I purchased the Aria scale that links with my FitBit and also does a body fat percentage reading. I knew that readings of this sort were inaccurate, but I did find them to be consistent. At the beginning, when I was in the low 190s, the body fat percentage readings came in at 24%. As I lost weight, the body fat percentage readings started to decline. This morning, I weighed in at 171.4 (a 20 pound loss) with a body fat percentage reading of 18.7% (a 5.3% reduction). I'm in the upper end of the normal range on the BMI scale. And while there is still some flab around my middle, I've lost several inches on my waist and am looking relatively trim (though not lean or muscular).

So I went to my Bod Pod session this afternoon, not sure what the results would show. I weighed in at 172.3. My body fat percentage? 23.2%!!! Wow. Suffice it to say that my scale is understating my body fat percentage big time, and I still have a ways to go to reach an acceptable level of fitness. This was a bit of a shock (I was expecting maybe 20%), but was likely what I needed to avoid complacency and set new goals for myself. I'd like to get to 18%, which will require additional weight loss combined with strength training to build muscle. Lots of work to be done.
Wow. That's insane. I've seen the recent pics of BB and you're downright trim looking. I don't understand how you can still be at that 23% range. Scary because the Aria has me around 24% range now... :bag:

Congrats on the progress; exciting to set new goals. Go git em.

Went and did a Body Pod body composition test this afternoon. The results were very interesting.

So while not exact, if you want to get down to 15% bf, if you lose about 16lbs of fat and gain a couple of pounds of muscle, you'll sit at 160 and 15%. I'm going to guess that you're an average frame dude with not a ton of lean muscle mass, so these numbers seem reasonable. As many have been noting throughout the thread, just about everybody vastly underestimates the amount of fat they're carrying.

You've done a lot of work so far and should be really excited for yourself. You probably started around 31.5% bf so you've come a tremendous way already.

As far as I know, no clinical trial has ever shown adverse consequences to eating eggs. Again as far as I know, however, the trials have only gone up to 21 eggs a week. So below that, you should be safe. Above that, who knows? (But I know of no theoretical reason that you shouldn't be safe at practically any level of egg consumption, unless the diet-heart hypothesis turns out to be true, which seems unlikely.)

Went and did a Bod Pod body composition test this afternoon. The results were very interesting.

FWIW, Bod Pods can have be pretty inaccurate in individuals. http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=175

As someone who's seen your Facebook photos, it would truly surprise me if you received the same results from hydrostatic weighing or a DEXA scan.

Odds are you're somewhere in between the bioimpedence results from the Aria scale and the Bod Pod number. And at your weight, 3lbs is close to a 2% bodyfat change.

EDIT: As the same site explains, we can't "measure" body fat at all in live humans. We can only do that with cadavers (by stripping the fat and weighing it). We can only estimate body fat. And our best estimating model (the so-called "four compartment" model) is way too expensive for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread