What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Politics and War in Ukraine (2 Viewers)

Based on the hunting for bear photos I've seen of Putin, pretty sure he likes the wild bush. Guaranteed he's getting it there. :hifive:
I dunno... US diplomatic cables call Putin "Batman" and Medvedev "Robin".http://valdaiclub.com/media/main/43/10155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is there any discussion of the actual event squeezed in amongst the political hackery and Christo's pelt love?

Who was it that plagiarized in the FFA smack off circa 2005? I remember they got run off good.

Earlier this morning I asked critics of Obama on this issue to explain what the President should be either doing or saying that he is not. I'm still waiting.

Obama has been, and remains, probably the best foreign policy President since Nixon, with Clinton a close second. .
After the Benghazi thing you just embarrass yourself saying this. What the hell is wrong with you?
I have yet to see any evidence that Obama did anything wrong in "the Benghazi thing". I've certainly asked for it. There were sone low level errors by the State Department after the fact, though none that affected the outcome in any substantial way.

Who was it that plagiarized in the FFA smack off circa 2005? I remember they got run off good.
ThomasA I believe. And it was 2002. I remember because I posted some of my entries from a dial-up speed Internet cafe while on my honeymoon in Mexico.

:bag:
That's when I first started posting on the yellow boards and I was a lurker only. I remember that and then some huge BGP/Evilgrin debate about economic stimulus, which may have been here in 2003.

Good find. So now at least 95% of TPW's post was plagiarized.
What difference does that make? Your criticism is akin to spell checking an opposing viewpoints post..
Obviously none to you. :lol:
You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..If that's the top line of your debate bullet points :lol:
Apparently not one thought here was original or his own - just a cut-and-paste from far right web sites (he couldn't even take the time to rephrase it) That meets your standards, it doesn't meet mine.
Whether they were his original thoughts or not, they were still thoughts he agreed with and decided to share in the discussion. They were someones original thoughts, and they appear to be in opposition to yours. All you can come up with to counterpoint is "TPW's post was plagiarized"?If you disagree with the points made in his post, maybe share some of your opposing thoughts? Or is it not possible for you to intelligently counter those ideas?
Dude, gravity. You shouldn't be admonishing anyone to provide intelligent answers to anyone else.

What difference does that make? Your criticism is akin to spell checking an opposing viewpoints post..
You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..If that's the top line of your debate bullet points :lol:
Apparently not one thought here was original or his own - just a cut-and-paste from far right web sites (he couldn't even take the time to rephrase it) That meets your standards, it doesn't meet mine.
Whether they were his original thoughts or not, they were still thoughts he agreed with and decided to share in the discussion. They were someones original thoughts, and they appear to be in opposition to yours. All you can come up with to counterpoint is "TPW's post was plagiarized"?If you disagree with the points made in his post, maybe share some of your opposing thoughts? Or is it not possible for you to intelligently counter those ideas?
Dude, gravity. You shouldn't be admonishing anyone to provide intelligent answers to anyone else.
Especially not you right? Glad you could be here... Don't have a bridge to patrol?

Especially not you right? Glad you could be here... Don't have a bridge to patrol?
Gravity Hustler

Gravity Hustler
Get some..

Earlier this morning I asked critics of Obama on this issue to explain what the President should be either doing or saying that he is not. I'm still waiting.
Because there's nothing we can do that will make a difference without the credible threat that we're willing to go to war over it. Which we aren't. It's exactly the same situation Bush found himself in with Ossetia.

Clinton-Obama-Clinton derangement syndrome is on full display.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/03/russia-and-ukraine?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/edgingclosertowar

RUSSIA and Ukraine have edged closer to a military confrontation after Vladimir Putin, Russias president, asked the upper house of the Russian parliament to approve the deployment of the country's armed forces in Ukraine. The request was made in connection with the extraordinary situation developing in Ukraine and the danger to the lives of the citizens of Russian Federation and our compatriots and military personnel located within the territory.

RUSSIA and Ukraine have edged closer to a military confrontation after Vladimir Putin, Russias president, asked the upper house of the Russian parliament to approve the deployment of the country's armed forces in Ukraine. The request was made in connection with the extraordinary situation developing in Ukraine and the danger to the lives of the citizens of Russian Federation and our compatriots and military personnel located within the territory.

An official in Ukraines armed forces says that after several days without the use of force, military units across Ukraine have been put on heightened alert and told to open fire if they come under attack. A week ago Russian and Ukrainian military commanders informally agreed among themselves to avoid confrontation and provocations. But in the past two days several Ukrainian military units have come under attack from unidentified armed men, who are widely believed to be Russian forces. A Ukrainian military airport in Kirovsky was attacked on February 28th by some 350 men in camouflage, who smashed up navigation systems, rendering the airport unusable. Feodosiya, Ukraines naval base in the Black Sea, was approached by Zubr, Russian-made air-cushioned hovercraft, which retreated after the Ukrainian navy threatened resistance.

What is wrong with you? This post is a like a monkey flinging poo at random people and then beating its chest and jumping around. No-one here wants to read 10 pages of you baiting others into a useless political debate.

What is wrong with you? This post is a like a monkey flinging poo at random people and then beating its chest and jumping around. No-one here wants to read 10 pages of you baiting others into a useless political debate.
I'm not baiting anyone. This thread is filled with people ripping Obama. But no specifics are offered. What should he do?

What should we do?

I hate to say it, but much like the Soviet Union crushing Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968, what can we do other than wag our finger at them and say, stop that!
seems like something the un should do something about.

What should we do?

I hate to say it, but much like the Soviet Union crushing Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968, what can we do other than wag our finger at them and say, stop that!
There is literally nothing the UN can do because Russia has their veto power.

NATO would be the organization that could do something militarily.

My opinion is to let the Crimeans vote on whether they want to be annexed by Russia.

I'm reading a lot of opinions from Europe and other places that they are surprised that western countries are speaking to the new government in Ukraine. A lot of the world citizens find it strange that he a coup can take place and the US and others will begin to interact with them as though they were a legitimate government immediately. Technically, the government in place right now simply took over. It is not a legitimate government.

timschochet said:
Riversco said:
I'm not baiting anyone. This thread is filled with people ripping Obama. But no specifics are offered. What should he do?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZAP4JvdOg

timschochet said:
Riversco said:
Hire a Hollywood FX team to create a gay Putin sextape and get it into the international media. What else can we do at this point other than humiliate him?

I'm reading a lot of opinions from Europe and other places that they are surprised that western countries are speaking to the new government in Ukraine. A lot of the world citizens find it strange that he a coup can take place and the US and others will begin to interact with them as though they were a legitimate government immediately. Technically, the government in place right now simply took over. It is not a legitimate government.
Well, if we have no real intentions of doing anything about it at all, or we will take any position opposing Russia, it hardly matters how they came to power..

After the dictator left, why wouldn't we ring the new guys to say hello and ask what they have planned? :shrug: (I'm not good with politics, in case you couldn't tell :) )

What should we do?

My opinion is to let the Crimeans vote on whether they want to be annexed by Russia.
Well being that Crimea is 56% Russian that's a no brainier. Maybe California can have a similar vote about bein annexed by Mexico in a decade.

After the dictator left, why wouldn't we ring the new guys to say hello and ask what they have planned? :shrug: (I'm not good with politics, in case you couldn't tell :) )
Well yes, but most of the time if a democratically elected government is overthrown in countries we decry the over throwers. We don't necessarily celebrate the coup.

You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..

If that's the top line of your debate bullet points :lol:
Whether they were his original thoughts or not, they were still thoughts he agreed with and decided to share in the discussion.
:lmao:

Technically, the government in place right now simply took over. It is not a legitimate government.
That's not quite right -- the Parliament impeached him, following the letter of the law. I've read that it was a legal proceeding.

I don’t believe that’s true. As far as everything I have read, Ukraine’s parliament impeached Yanukovych according to their laws and rules. They have also set the next elections in May following those same laws.

Yanukovych wasn't a dictator. He was elected president. He was also impeached by Ukraine's parliament.

Ok, I'm willing to stand corrected on that for now. I'm sure it's going to be hard to wade through the information coming out that's either pro-Russian or pro-Western.

You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..

If that's the top line of your debate bullet points :lol:
You want me to copy and paste a response?

What should we do?

Well being that Crimea is 56% Russian that's a no brainier. Maybe California can have a similar vote about bein annexed by Mexico in a decade.
What is the argument against Crimea joining Russia? Seems like the population wants it.

Yanukovych wasn't a dictator. He was elected president. He was also impeached by Ukraine's parliament.
I know he was elected so technically not a dictator, but everything I've read about him has called him one. :shrug: Are they using it too loosely or just as a way to describe his "leadership"?

What should we do?

What is the argument against Crimea joining Russia? Seems like the population wants it.
I think thats a good question. Crimea leaving Ukraine is probably similiar to Chechnya leaving Russia or Kurdistan leaving Iraq/Turkey or countless other examples. Self determination never seems like an easy answer.

To the feckless West this Ukrainian crisis is sudden. Putin on the other hand has been planning for it for years and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US president and toothless EU as his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. It appears from the propaganda being put out (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists) there will be some level of a straight-up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC and his numerous geopolitical blunders in Libya, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. already on the books it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything the man says? "Don't cross red lines?" "Respect territorial integrity?" Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is the Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia.
http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2014/02/28/lost-in-history/

OldSaltUSN said:

In the West, the Ukrainian crisis is sudden, but Putin has been planning for it for years, and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US President and EU his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. Whatever, it appears in the propaganda (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists, whatever), it will be a straight up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC, it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything that man said? Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every opportunity. I cannot think of anything self-less, noble, or in the "best interest of the country" that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters. The man is a narcissistic coward. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is a united Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia. I don't think that they have it in them. Too many years of being a Soviet satellite to change stripes now.
To be fair TPW added the word feckless
What difference does that make? Your criticism is akin to spell checking an opposing viewpoint's post..
Fixed

What should we do?

What's the argument about the South seceding? Seemed like the population wanted it.

I seriously have no idea what would have been more important than being at this morning's Security Team meeting.

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-skips-national-security-team-meeting-russia-ukraine_783659.html
Best foreign policy President in 40 years though. :lmao:
"Obama did not attend the meeting, but WH official says he has been briefed by Susan Rice and his national security team," says Miller.
Highlighted, in case you missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread