What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Torrey Smith, Retired (1 Viewer)

Anyone drop him yet? I'm giving him one more week. If he doesn't produce with Pitta gone then he's kicked to the curb for sure.

I've not dropped him, because we have 20-man rosters and there's not much on the WW. But I've relegated him to the bench until he shows something.

I cut him yesterday to add John Brown, AZ - second move as I also cut Bowe to add Malcolm Floyd for the Chargers game with JAX this week

NajehHejan said:
Anyone drop him yet? I'm giving him one more week. If he doesn't produce with Pitta gone then he's kicked to the curb for sure.
same here, but I like Torry this week, the Cats are going to try shut down Smith Sr., no Pitta, this has to be the week if their every was one

I traded him a couple weeks ago in one, dropped him last week in another (for Blue), and am this II close to dropping him from the third and final league where I, unfortunately, drafted him.

Yahoo allows dropping players during or after their game if they are on your bench. If tomorrow goes like the first 3 weeks I'm going to drop him at the end of the game and make a random speculative pickup of somebody who hasn't started yet. Hell it might even be Vick.

If he does well enough I'll jump all over him as a sell "high"

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith leads the NFL with five pass interference penalties drawn.

Smith's miserable stats through four games (8-138-1) don't show the value he's brought to the Ravens in the form of PI penalties. It's not a fluke, as Smith led the NFL in 2012 as well by drawing 16. Of course, fantasy owners don't get points for drawn penalties and Torrey has clearly taken a backseat to Steve Smith. He'll be a boom or bust WR3 as long as he keeps running low-percentage shot routes.

Source: ESPN.com
Oct 2 - 9:15 AM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens

Coach John Harbaugh said it's a focus of the team's to get Torrey Smith going.

"It is a focus to get Torrey going. We're working to do that," Harbaugh said. "I'm very confident we can get that done. We get Torrey going, it's going to be a big plus for us." Smith is 44th among receivers with 27 targets through five games, but he's turned those into just an 11-176-1 line to go with a handful of drops. He'll have opportunities against the Bucs in Week 6. Tampa Bay has surrendered the third-most fantasy points to opposing receivers.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Oct 6 - 7:44 PM

I gave up, he had fallen to my WR5-6 spot, couldn't see any way I would confidently start him... so I shipped him for Jordan Reed. Every year we hear about how Smith is refining his game, working on route running, coming ever closer to becoming a complete receiver. This year he was supposed to take on what has been historically a very productive position, the "X" in the Shanahan-Kubiak system... and yet again, we are left disappointed. I may regret that one, but I was tired of looking at Smith on my roster and being frustrated with him.

Anyone buying low in dynasty? Thinking about shooting out some small offers and seeing if his owners are ready to bail.

I traded Toby Gerhart for him a couple weeks ago, but that was in redraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith caught 3-of-5 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 7 win over the Falcons.

He also drew an early 36-yard pass interference call on Falcons RCB Robert Alford, and whipped Alford for a 39-yard TD in the fourth quarter. Smith's targets and usage haven't suddenly changed since early in the season; he's simply making more plays now. He quietly leads the NFL in pass-interference penalties generated. Smith will remain a boom-or-bust WR3 when the Ravens take on the Bengals in Week 8. Torrey has historically struggled against Cincinnati.

Oct 19 - 4:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith secured 5-of-8 targets for 75 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 10 win over the Titans.

Torrey wasn't heard from until about halfway through the second quarter, when he beat Blidi Wreh-Wilson for a gain of 14. After missing him twice on bomb attempts, Joe Flacco dropped an early fourth-quarter pass into Smith's breadbasket for a 32-yard scoring bomb. Torrey now leads the Ravens with six receiving TDs on the year. He remains a boom-or-bust WR3 option entering a Week 11 bye. The Ravens will play the Saints in Week 12.

Nov 9 - 4:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith had a noticeable limp and was talking to a team doctor when coming off the field following pre-game warmups.
All we know is what reporters at the stadium in Miami have seen. Smith, who was listed as "probable" after practicing Friday, was stiff and limping. There's no way to know if he'll shake it off and be fine for the game or if he had a setback.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter
Dec 7 - 12:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith's knee swelled up during pregame warmups for Sunday's Week 14 game at Miami.

Smith was limping around and talking to doctors during the last hour before kickoff. He knew he was only going to be a decoy and ended up with zero targets -- but the Ravens won anyway. We'll consider Smith day to day heading into Week 15 against the Jags.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Dec 7 - 5:57 PM

Rotoworld:

The Ravens say Torrey Smith is dealing with a sprained knee.
There are no tears in the knee, a Monday MRI confirmed, but Smith's Week 15 availability is "undetermined," according to the Baltimore Sun. Smith's knee "swelled up" following pre-game warmups ahead of Sunday's win over the Dolphins. He wound up barely playing and was not targeted. Kamar Aiken would likely draw the start against the Jaguars this week if Torrey can not play.

Dec 8 - 4:11 PM

Rotoworld:

Sports With Coleman reports Torrey Smith (sprained knee) is a "long shot" to suit up for Week 15.
This isn't a typical Rotoworld source, so take it with a grain of salt. According to Coleman, Smith's knee is "quite sore." It's not surprising considering Smith's knee swelled up before Sunday's game, limiting him to 15 snaps as a decoy. Smith's status will be updated no later than Wednesday afternoon.

Source: Sports With Coleman on Twitter
Dec 9 - 3:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith played 52-of-64 (81.25 percent) of the snaps in the Week 15 win over the Jaguars.

Smith battled a knee sprain in Week 14, which limited him to 15 snaps. He barely practiced ahead of the Jacksonville game and was listed as probable, though some Ravens beat writers believed Smith was closer to doubtful. It didn't end up that way. Smith played his normal snap rate, but did nothing with his three targets, catching just two of them for 16 yards. He dropped the other one and also took a holding penalty. Smith will be fine as a WR2 for Week 16 in Houston.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Dec 15 - 11:05 AM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens

Torrey Smith caught 3-of-6 targets for 62 yards in Baltimore's Divisional Round loss to the Patriots.

It was a volatile day for the fourth-year deep threat, who suffered an early shoulder injury, and committed two personal fouls. Smith played through the shoulder ailment, and also drew a long defensive pass interference call to complement his three grabs. His second personal foul was of the "ticky tack" variety. Headed to free agency, Smith has been one of the league's very best deep threats since he first set foot in the NFL, but has lacked for consistency at the other parts of the field. He won't come close to a Mike Wallace-type deal on the open market. Smith is not a realistic candidate for the franchise tag, which is expected to cost roughly $12 million for wideouts.

Jan 10 - 8:34 PM

Dude came across as kind of an ##### during the playoffs (taunting, unsportsmanlike penalties, constantly talking trash, etc.).

Rotoworld:

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens offered free agent Torrey Smith a five-year, $35 million deal that included $19 million guaranteed before the season.

It's an offer Smith will have a hard time matching in free agency after posting a 49/767/11 line in 2014. Smith is one of the league's very best deep threats, but his game hasn't evolved to that of a true No. 1 receiver's. Re-signing with Baltimore makes the most sense for both sides, but Smith may need to test the open market to ensure fair value.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Feb 3 - 3:39 PM

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King believes free agent Torrey Smith's best contract offer won't come from Baltimore.

It's speculation on King's part, but probably rooted in truth. Coming off an 11-touchdown season, Smith didn't do anything to hurt his market value despite frustrating fantasy owners. At 26, the elite deep threat is just now entering his prime. Once Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant are assigned franchise tags, Smith could emerge as one of this year's premium free agents.

Source: BaltimoreRavens.com
Feb 20 - 10:13 AM

Rotoworld:

Asked about free agent Torrey Smith, Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said "we have a history of retaining our players."
However, Newsome added he was not afraid to let players test the market, and acknowledged there's a strong chance Smith will get a better offer in free agency. If that's the case, Smith will undoubtedly take it. Smith's odds of remaining in Baltimore are no better than 50-50.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Feb 24 - 2:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Updating an earlier item, ESPN's Adam Caplan believes the 49ers will sign free agent Torrey Smith "unless the money is too rich for them."
We suppose you could say that about any team in pursuit of a free agent, but it's clear the 49ers are zeroing in on the 26-year-old deep threat. Caplan is a very reliable reporter. Per Caplan, the Colts and Texans are also interested in Smith. With Randall Cobb off the market, Smith is Rotoworld's No. 2 free agent receiver. His arrival would ensure Michael Crabtree walks.

Related: 49ers

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Mar 8 - 2:09 PM

Rotoworld:

Free agent Torrey Smith wrote on his blog that he will not be returning to the Ravens.
The expectation is that he'll sign with the 49ers. As Jeremy Maclin and Torrey are easily the top-two wide receivers left in free agency, Smith figures to command a hefty sum. We'd guess he ends up in the $8 million-per-year range. The Ravens will need to find a new bookend for 36-year-old Steve Smith Sr. Andre Johnson makes sense as a short-term stopgap, but Baltimore would be wise to use an early-round draft pick at wideout, as well.

Source: Torrey Smith's Blog
Mar 8 - 7:14 PM

Rotoworld:

One source told the Baltimore Sun that free agent Torrey Smith signing with the 49ers is a "done deal."
It can't hurt that Torrey has stayed tight with Anquan Boldin since playing across from him in Baltimore. The Sun floats $8 million to $9 million as Smith's likely price tag. The Ravens are less than $5 million under the cap and couldn't match such an offer. The Sun also confirms Andre Johnson "would be regarded as a potential fit" to replace Torrey opposite Steve Smith Sr.

Related: 49ers

Mar 8 - 7:54 PM

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith dropped 18.33 percent of his catchable targets last season.

Smith had the second-most drops (11) among receivers despite ranking 50th in targets (89). He was only outdone by Mohamed Sanu, who dropped 14 passes on 97 targets. We like Smith's new landing spot for the 49ers' offense, but Colin Kaepernick's shoddy accuracy isn't going to benefit Smith. Anquan Boldin should remain the go-to target in the middle of the field, on third downs, and in the red zone. Smith may be more of a decoy lid-lifter just to open up the field.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Apr 16 - 10:33 AM

Users who are viewing this thread