What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd tier QB fantasy discussion - LJax, Burrow, Fields, Herbert, TLaw? Or skip them all? (1 Viewer)

What's your pick for best of the 2nd tier QBs?

• Lamar Jackson

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Burrow

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Fields

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Herbert

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • TLaw

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Top 3 or bust, or be the last to draft a QB in your league

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

jumper

Footballguy
So you don't want to pony up for the Big 3 (Mahomes, Hurts, Josh Allen). What's the play? You taking one of the 2nd tier guys, or passing on them outright?

Honestly I can see Kenny Pickett (and maybe Jordan Love) being in the Top 12 this year at a current ADP of over QB20, but I'm not willing to bet my season on that so will probably pull the trigger on either Tua (if he falls enough) or Geno Smith otherwise.

Love Burrow but the calf injury and ****ty o-line has me concerned that he finishes in the QB 5-8 range. I think Herbert steps up big this year and T Law will be right behind him. Can't trust Lamar as he is just too injury-prone and I am not buying Justin Fields at all.

I’m big on younger qbs tha can run. Is there really a difference between Herbert and someone like Cousins or Goff, that you can get 4 rounds later?

I’m big on younger qbs tha can run. Is there really a difference between Herbert and someone like Cousins or Goff, that you can get 4 rounds later?
Yes, upside. I don’t believe we have seen the best Herbert has to offer. He got away from Joe Lombardi and that alone will be a healthy bump in stats. He is starting the season with healthy receivers. But he is also healthy this year. We should see more yards, tds, and rush yards and rush tds from Herbert this year.

Yes, upside. I don’t believe we have seen the best Herbert has to offer. He got away from Joe Lombardi and that alone will be a healthy bump in stats. He is starting the season with healthy receivers. But he is also healthy this year. We should see more yards, tds, and rush yards and rush tds from Herbert this year.
I’ve had Herbert in the past and he’s been good, but not great. I’m just higher on qbs that can run some also. I draft next weekend and will target Fields and maybe Richardson as a backup.

Thoughts on each:

Lamar - The rushing upside is always going to be there, but for whatever reason, I'm a bit lukewarm on him this year. Yes, they finally got him 'weapons'...but I don't know if he's a guy that truly maximizes 3rd/4th options. And if he is intent on passing more...that takes away from the best part of his game. And I can't ignore he hasn't been around the last 2 season during December due to leg injuries.

Burrow - Feel like he's the best QB of this group. While he may get outscored...I feel like he has the highest floor with legitimate Mahomes level upside (5000/40 - some added rushing bonus).

Fields - Once he got to running, he was the best FF QB last year. I don't see 1100 yards again, but if he can do 800...he'll need to offset that with 750 additional passing yards. Sounds doable. But he's the least proven of this bunch and he needs to show progress passing for CHI to fully buy into him. And if he doesn't...he'll be the most scrutinized. A bit tricky if you ask me.

Herbert - the change in OC was needed. But he was not very good last year (6.8 YPC/25 TD's - 699 attempts) and he needs a big season soon; not speaking FF but winning the division/AFCCG level performance. Quite frankly, I'm a bit puzzled he hasn't gotten more smoke thrown his way versus Josh Allen.

Lawrence - Of this group, he'll be the cheapest. But why couldn't he go 5000/40? So he gets my vote because I think his upside is this...but he has a nice floor and you can likely get him 1-2 rounds cheaper than some of the others here.

Depending on rules of your league the running QB's have a distinct advantage. You might be able to build a better overall team by waiting on Lawrence since he is projected to go later.

None of these guys made it out of the 4th round in my league. Would have taken Lawrence if I could have at the end of the 5th but didn't get the chance.

I don’t have all of those players in the same tier, so the poll is a little off to me.

To me it’s:
3. Burrow/LJax
4. Herbert
5. TLaw/Fields

LJax has QB1 overall potential for his rushing, so I have him as my top target behind the Mahomes/Hurts/Allen tier. Might be in a higher tier than Burrow.

Last edited:
None of these guys made it out of the 4th round in my league. Would have taken Lawrence if I could have at the end of the 5th but didn't get the chance.
Yeah, it’s funny how I keep reading about people’s “plan” based on tiers.

ADP & runs have a lot to say about that. One big run and ADP Goes sideways along with people’s best laid plans. Suddenly other teams are reaching for the Daniel Jones type QBs a couple rounds early, and next thing you know you’re in the 7th round with Geno Smith as your QB1.

I’ve been there many times over the years.

This year I’ve made sure to shoot my shot in the 4th-5th-6th rounds, starting runs instead of being a victim of them.

I like Lamar a lot more than the rest of these guys, he's closer to the big 3 than he is to the rest of these guys in my opinion. I'm not really worried about his health at all. Just see 2 fluky injuries that could have happened to Hurts or Mahomes just as easily.

I will add, I think Trevor Lawrence might be the most overrated QB right now. I think he's quite a bit below these guys, and is closer to guys like Watson, Richardson, and even Cousins. I'm not really confident he'll be any better than he was last year, just that the distribution will be different, as I like Ridley quite a bit.

I think I'll probably end up with a big 3 guy (probably not Mahomes as he's a 1st rounder in every league I'm in thanks to KC fans) or probably going with 2 of the Watson, Richardson, Cousins group, unless Lamar really falls due to injury concerns.

Yeah, it’s funny how I keep reading about people’s “plan” based on tiers.

ADP & runs have a lot to say about that. One big run and ADP Goes sideways along with people’s best laid plans. Suddenly other teams are reaching for the Daniel Jones type QBs a couple rounds early, and next thing you know you’re in the 7th round with Geno Smith as your QB1.

I’ve been there many times over the years.

This year I’ve made sure to shoot my shot in the 4th-5th-6th rounds, starting runs instead of being a victim of them.

Yeah I'm not willing to spend one of my first 4 on QB so I know going in where my tiers are. Much more comfortable taking RBs and WRs up top and waiting on QB until later.

I let the draft come to me and try and target TLaw or Herbert as to whichever falls the farthest. If you happen to be in a draft where owners are taking them above Fields and Burrow then I am fine with either of them as well. Essentially I am watching the board and once I get down to 2 or so left of this group then I will pull the trigger.

Like the whole bunch here in tier 2, but feel like Lamar is in a good situation to challenge the big 3.
Close 2nd, can't overlook Fields putting up top 3 numbers end of last season & now has DJ.

I answered my approach above but given the pole question and how it's listed. If given a choice of those in the pole my top choice would be Lamar. That doesn't factor in cost in a draft which changes my answer to what I had above in the thread.

Of all those players listed, I've been on the opposite side of a 30 to 40 point *** whooping by Lamar Jackson many times.

I don't cringe when I see my opponent have any of those guys, except Lamar. The guy is liable to run for a 50 yard touchdown at anytime. Dude can rip off a 50 yard bomb at anytime.

When he's healthy, I ****ing hate playing against him in fantasy. So he's my pick. I think the additional of Beckham and Flowers gives him the best skill group he's ever had.

Career year? Why the hell not? We're talking about a former MVP here.

Lamar should be in the top tier but the world needs to see the post-Greg Roman Ravens first. Fields still needs to take a big step as a passer. Trevor and Herbert are both going to have big years and I would easily take either of them (at cost) over Mahomes or Allen. Hurts is the only top tier QB I'll consider at cost. Burrow is a mystery to me but has a good of a chance as any to get into that top tier.

My pick is Lamar. I also don't mind waiting on QB.

Excluding Lamar, Herbert seems poised to drop a 40 TD season at some point here. He would be my #2.

Plus two guaranteed fun games playing Kansas City.

unless Lamar really falls due to injury concerns.
I landed him at 5.05 in a 12-team home league - love that value. And I agree, he’s closer to the Mahomes/Allen/Hurts tier than he is to the Burrow tier. And as I mentioned above, I don’t have TLaw in Burrow’s tier. Fields is also a tier below, with TLaw IMO.

I let the draft come to me and try and target TLaw or Herbert as to whichever falls the farthest. If you happen to be in a draft where owners are taking them above Fields and Burrow then I am fine with either of them as well. Essentially I am watching the board and once I get down to 2 or so left of this group then I will pull the trigger.
Exactly how I’ve approached it.

First of all, this is absolutely the QB aisle I'm shopping on. I have them ranked Lamar-Burrow-Fields-Herbert-TLaw, but it's super close, and I would be happy to come away with any of them

My initial thought was that I would take Lamar if he's still there in the 4th, and then whoever's left in the 5th. But I'm wavering a little because I'd really like to get Waller as well, and he doesn't seem to be lasting until the 6th. So now I'm thinking of taking best available in the 4th, Waller in the 5th, and hoping the depth/mediocrity at WR is enough to ensure I still get decent WRs in the 6th/7th. But I may just press my luck and hope Waller lasts.

Of course, best laid plans, yadda yadda. They'll probably all go before me in the 4th AND I'll get snaked on Waller in the 5th

I'm not entirely sold on Lamar Jackson, or the Ravens offense as a whole. That team is just plain hard to watch. The RB situation is unsettled. The Wrs are a flake, a rookie, and a never-has-been who is seemingly always hurt and perpetually overrated ( Bateman). I'll pass let someone else take LJ

T. Lawrence should rise to the top tier this season. Ridley is going to help , Bigsby is going to solidify the run game. Lawrence's stats late last season were amazing.
Not sold on Burrow - his injury still lingers, and the o-line is crap, as well as the RB situation. I'm certain this is an implosion type season for the Bungles. no thanks.

I do not think Herbert is anything more than an average QB and Kellen Moore is going to prove that concept. Herbert's stats were woefully bad last season, he still doesn't have a decent supporting cast of WRs - don't tell me about Mike Williams he's vastly overrated, always hurt, and just the guy who scres 21 pts one week, 4 the next. Keenan Allen is 45 years old on a wooden leg. his stats started to fall off the cliff late last season - he's right at the age where that happens. So now you have a rookie WR to be your main guy? I could see if QJ was Dotson, or Christian watson, or Garret Wilson - but he's not. Herbert will struggle in this Moore offense,

I'm more inclined to add the following players to this list and remove everyone but Lawrence.
1. Danny Dimes - he has looked all world in camp and in limited preseason action with a 135 QBR .but I'm just going by the resurrection project of Josh Allen that was led by B. Daboll. He's working the same magic with Jones now.
2. Jordan Love - he has the it factor, he looks poised in the pocket, has a good group of speedy athletic WRs and Te, a solid run game, good line firm grasp of the offense.
3. A. Rodgers - until he leaves the game I'll always have him in the top 5-7 QBs. This Jets team looks set to take off - pun intended.. Why are we all so low on Rodgers? he's reaching sleeper area you guys are so low on him..what gives?

I ended up with Burrow in one league, Herbert in another, and Tua in another (could have had Herbert or Lawrence there, but couldn't pass up D-Hop and neither ended up coming back to me)

I think L Jackson stands out from this crowd as the QB with the most fantasy football upside. He could run for 1,000 and throw for 4,000 with the weapons he has. Pair that with 35-40 total TDs. Lamar all the way!

What's interesting is that I could easily make the case for any of these guys moving into the elite tier this year. And yet, it's pretty much a given that all of them won't. So maybe the real question is who will confound our expectations and disappoint?

Users who are viewing this thread