What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

travdogg's positional rankings as of 8-15-23 (1 Viewer)

35. Michael Pittman (34), I question his talent level, and his offense. He's the clear #1 at least, though there may not be a team where that is worth less.

looking at 95-100 catches and he's #35 ?

wow
I'd be shocked if he even approached that. This is going to be a very different Colts offense, I think 100 is probably closer to his targets than catches. I think 70-800-6 is around my expectation, and while that probably equals better than a 35th place finish, the lack of upside in my opinion, pushes him down my ranks.

Anthony Richardson at 10 is ludicrous
Just rank him #1 overall while you're at it, I'm serious

We have NOTHING to back up a Top 10 Rank on him.
Who was the last 3rd QB picked in the Top 5 NFL Draft?
Trey Lance?

It's a total dice roll from an owner that fired his head coach, hired Jeff Saturday with no coaching experience, impatient because he had Peyton Manning and then thought he had another HoF QB that early retired on him, now he finds himself in no mans land and so he throws a hail mary and selects Anthony Richardson.

Stephen Ross wanted Tua over what the scouts were saying in Justin Herbert

Good work Trav but I cannot get past ARich sitting at No 10
I immediately start to projectile vomit

And guess what? If the Colts were to end up 2-15/3-14 like the Bears last year, they'll just take another QB with a better skill set next year.
Irsay is going to keep striking until he finds some Lucas Oil
I'm not sure I see the relevance of Trey Lance to Richardson. Ranking someone based on an entirely different person's draft spot feels very flawed.

I like Richardson, a lot. I think drafting him as a QB1 and backing him up with a solid vet (anyone else in my top-15, but especially Kirk Cousins) is a very viable strategy this season. As a rookie, I think they ask him to basically just run, and not make mistakes (ala 2022 Daniel Jones, but with a WAY better athlete/talent) I think something like 800-8 on the ground is a very fair projection and could be more if the "tush push" comes from Philly. That kind of rushing adds up fantasy wise really quick. That's 128 points without throwing a pass. Even if he has 2500 yards and 15 TDs passing, that's good for around QB10.

I think Shane Steichen will be a very good hire. I'd be surprised if Indy was a 2-3 win team. Not that I think they are a playoff team, but 6-8 seems more likely to me. They have a good OL, and a solid enough defense.
Hey Trav,

Let's talk 3rd QB off the board Top 5-6 in the NFL with the new mind set these days. There was a time teams passed on QBs because it ate so much money taking them 1-2-3 overall like the days of Sam Bradford, the last QB to get way too much money for bing picked No 1 overall, now we have a system where it's simply not as risky.

If Miami takes Herbert and Tua was QB3 in 2020, Lance '21, ARich '23...I can connect the dots. I can see a 2-QB race for the top QB off the board, hard to imagine there are 3 Elite future QBs taken Top 5, that likely isn't happening.

I'm saying the avg numbers of QBs that are going to make it and have good careers, a true starting QB, about 1 per year on average, they can't all be good.
Why is Trey Lance failing? He's taken a total of 420 pass attempts since he graduated from HIGH SCHOOL, dude' s never played football. Most QBs throw 420 passes in 1 season
Enter Richardson, how many starts total did he have? 52% completion rate? What are people smoking and why won't they pass it to me to puff on?

Richardson is raw, if that excites you then you have your Dynasty Cap on
I've never in redraft thought to myself...where can I find a raw QB to put on this roster as my QB1

We agree on a bunch of players but that one jumped off the page to me.
Thank You for giving me a chance to express my reasoning even if you feel like it's goofy.

And I don't think ARich will start 17 games this season. I'll impressed if he can even finish 12 games this year for the Colts.
All this running he's gonna do and no arm accuracy, he'll be lucky if he's not carted off the field. At least he plays on grass...oops.
Comparing Richardson to Lance feels like a bit of a reach.

Lance essentially didn't play his final season at North Dakota State (1 game, 30 attempts), so he had a whole season off before the draft. He maxed out at 287 passes as a sophomore, played in a total of 19 games in college and in his only full season his competition was highly suspect.

Richardson played a full season, 12 games (21 total appearances) last year when he threw 327 passes. In his college career he has 414 attempts in 22 college appearances over three seasons, 6 fewer than Lance has in 27 college & pro appearances over the last five seasons. And Richardson faced a higher caliber of competition.

Richardson is raw but Lance was prenatal.

Why do you believe Richardson will be lucky to start 12 games). Do you anticipate injuries or you expect such a degree of ineffectiveness that it will kill his confidence to the point Steichen will have to pull him?

Everything I have read about Richardson indicates his work ethic and commitment are top notch. I think he has a short memory for the bad stuff and seems very prepared to take his lumps and press forward. I also think the Colts are prepared to take their lumps as a team this season and stick with the rookie even if Gardner Minshew could manufacture another win or two.

I think he'll be lucky to pass for 2,500 yards but he has as good a shot at 1,000 yards rushing as any QB in the NFL.

35. Michael Pittman (34), I question his talent level, and his offense. He's the clear #1 at least, though there may not be a team where that is worth less.

wow
I'd be shocked if he even approached that. This is going to be a very different Colts offense, I think 100 is probably closer to his targets than catches. I think 70-800-6 is around my expectation, and while that probably equals better than a 35th place finish, the lack of upside in my opinion, pushes him down my ranks.

Trey Lance?

It's a total dice roll from an owner that fired his head coach, hired Jeff Saturday with no coaching experience, impatient because he had Peyton Manning and then thought he had another HoF QB that early retired on him, now he finds himself in no mans land and so he throws a hail mary and selects Anthony Richardson.

And guess what? If the Colts were to end up 2-15/3-14 like the Bears last year, they'll just take another QB with a better skill set next year.
I'm not sure I see the relevance of Trey Lance to Richardson. Ranking someone based on an entirely different person's draft spot feels very flawed.

I like Richardson, a lot. I think drafting him as a QB1 and backing him up with a solid vet (anyone else in my top-15, but especially Kirk Cousins) is a very viable strategy this season. As a rookie, I think they ask him to basically just run, and not make mistakes (ala 2022 Daniel Jones, but with a WAY better athlete/talent) I think something like 800-8 on the ground is a very fair projection and could be more if the "tush push" comes from Philly. That kind of rushing adds up fantasy wise really quick. That's 128 points without throwing a pass. Even if he has 2500 yards and 15 TDs passing, that's good for around QB10.

I think Shane Steichen will be a very good hire. I'd be surprised if Indy was a 2-3 win team. Not that I think they are a playoff team, but 6-8 seems more likely to me. They have a good OL, and a solid enough defense.
Hey Trav,

Let's talk 3rd QB off the board Top 5-6 in the NFL with the new mind set these days. There was a time teams passed on QBs because it ate so much money taking them 1-2-3 overall like the days of Sam Bradford, the last QB to get way too much money for bing picked No 1 overall, now we have a system where it's simply not as risky.

If Miami takes Herbert and Tua was QB3 in 2020, Lance '21, ARich '23...I can connect the dots. I can see a 2-QB race for the top QB off the board, hard to imagine there are 3 Elite future QBs taken Top 5, that likely isn't happening.

I'm saying the avg numbers of QBs that are going to make it and have good careers, a true starting QB, about 1 per year on average, they can't all be good.
Why is Trey Lance failing? He's taken a total of 420 pass attempts since he graduated from HIGH SCHOOL, dude' s never played football. Most QBs throw 420 passes in 1 season
Enter Richardson, how many starts total did he have? 52% completion rate? What are people smoking and why won't they pass it to me to puff on?

I've never in redraft thought to myself...where can I find a raw QB to put on this roster as my QB1

Thank You for giving me a chance to express my reasoning even if you feel like it's goofy.

And I don't think ARich will start 17 games this season. I'll impressed if he can even finish 12 games this year for the Colts.
All this running he's gonna do and no arm accuracy, he'll be lucky if he's not carted off the field. At least he plays on grass...oops.

Lance essentially didn't play his final season at North Dakota State (1 game, 30 attempts), so he had a whole season off before the draft. He maxed out at 287 passes as a sophomore, played in a total of 19 games in college and in his only full season his competition was highly suspect.

Richardson played a full season, 12 games (21 total appearances) last year when he threw 327 passes. In his college career he has 414 attempts in 22 college appearances over three seasons, 6 fewer than Lance has in 27 college & pro appearances over the last five seasons. And Richardson faced a higher caliber of competition.

Why do you believe Richardson will be lucky to start 12 games). Do you anticipate injuries or you expect such a degree of ineffectiveness that it will kill his confidence to the point Steichen will have to pull him?

Everything I have read about Richardson indicates his work ethic and commitment are top notch. I think he has a short memory for the bad stuff and seems very prepared to take his lumps and press forward. I also think the Colts are prepared to take their lumps as a team this season and stick with the rookie even if Gardner Minshew could manufacture another win or two.

I think he'll be lucky to pass for 2,500 yards but he has as good a shot at 1,000 yards rushing as any QB in the NFL.
Rookie Running Qb in the NFL, 2,500 pass yds over 17 games? The locker room will turn on him at some point if that's the case.
I think he could be a high injury risk if he can't complete passes and is just going to use his legs to try and make plays
He'll be on someone else's roster not mine

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

Rookie Running Qb in the NFL, 2,500 pass yds over 17 games? The locker room will turn on him at some point if that's the case.
I think he could be a high injury risk if he can't complete passes and is just going to use his legs to try and make plays
LOL Anyone who turns on Richardson will be shown the door quick, fast and in a hurry.

150 yards/game may be low, then again Lamar Jackson put up 160 pass yards/game in 7 starts as a rookie and 180 y/g in two of the last four seasons and his teammates freaking love him.

Everything you hear about Richardson suggests the team loves what he brings on, and off, the field.

"Losing the locker room" is a manufactured argument to support your low ranking of him.

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

LOL Anyone who turns on Richardson will be shown the door quick, fast and in a hurry.

150 yards/game may be low, then again Lamar Jackson put up 160 pass yards/game in 7 starts as a rookie and 180 y/g in two of the last four seasons and his teammates freaking love him.

Everything you hear about Richardson suggests the team loves what he brings on, and off, the field.

"Losing the locker room" is a manufactured argument to support your low ranking of him.
12-13 games, I think he'll miss a few, yes I think he's a higher injury risk being a rookie that isn't gonna throw for a lot of yards, I'm not wishing it but it just seems like a 17 game NFL schedule gor a guy like him that i think should carry a clipboard for at least a few weeks.

Dan Marino sat out the first month of 1983, he started the AFC Pro Bowl and missed the last 2 weeks of the season, lot of folks don't know or remember what he did in '83, they just know about '84. I think most rookie QBs should not be starting in Week 1.

Trav did a good job ranking everyone, I don't want to make the whole thread about ARich
I was the first to Bust in his thread if you want to post back and forth some more about it there.
Thanks Chaka (y)

I think we can all agree that Richardson won't be on any of your rosters.

As an aside, I thought I'd mention that I have done 14 drafts (combo of mocks and actuals) and I thought it would be helpful to post who I have tended to end up with the most:

Alexander Mattison=14 times. He's my guy this year, I've gotten him in every single draft I've done. Usually as an RB3, but I wouldn't be opposed to him as an RB2.
Christian Watson=12 Times. Usually as a WR3, but again, not opposed to as a WR2.
Davante Adams=10 times. Pretty universally getting him in round 2. Seems like people are really scared of Jimmy G. Despite ADP, I've seen him go past #20.
Anthony Richardson=10 times. I'm more open to taking a QB high than ever, but still usually end up waiting and pairing him with a vet.
Breece Hall=9 times. Was pretty much my guy in the mid-3rd round, and since Dalvin arrived, in drafts this week, he's been my guy in the 4th round. Could be a 5th in a couple weeks.
Keenan Allen=9 times. Occasionally as a WR3, but typically as a WR2.
Miles Sanders=9 times. I don't even really like the guy, but a potential offensive centerpiece that I can pretty much always get as an RB3.
Rhamondre Stevenson=7 times. Was taking him in the late 2nd, now getting him in the late 3rd. Could see him falling to round 4 potentially.
Calvin Ridley=7 times. Like him a ton as a WR2. Was getting him in the 4th round a lot, but he's been creeping into round 3, where I'm feeling less inclined.
Mark Andrews=7 times. Hard to ever pass on him in round 3. TE has been tough, where I think in general they are being taken too early, Andrews is really the only top guy going where I think he should.
Pat Freiermuth=7 times. The ideal TE to wait for in my eyes. Big time talent on passing game that can only go up. He's there often as last as round 10.

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

You can't be serious with this. You can't just pretend the draft went differently and the picks happened in a different order to try and make your convoluted point. Tua wasn't the QB3 drafted in 2020, Herbert was, so even if you thought there was any significance to being QB3 (there isn't) you have zero case. If you want an even weaker case, in 2018 Josh Allen was QB3.

There are no dots to connect, and if there were, it would paint a very different picture than you're trying to.

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

You can't be serious with this. You can't just pretend the draft went differently and the picks happened in a different order to try and make your convoluted point. Tua wasn't the QB3 drafted in 2020, Herbert was, so even if you thought there was any significance to being QB3 (there isn't) you have zero case. If you want an even weaker case, in 2018 Josh Allen was QB3.

There are no dots to connect, and if there were, it would paint a very different picture than you're trying to.
You are still missing the point
3 QBs go Top 5 how many do you predict are going to make it?
There can't be 3 Top 5 QB prospects every year, history tells us that

Take. a breath, you seem to be fierce in me suggesting these things and I don't want to just ignore your post(not ignore you) like you didn't say anything but I feel you're missing the larger point and that's the risk, especially in shoving Richardson into the Top 10.

And I can do anything I want in trying to explain my bizarre but very historically based POV, I didn't seek you out and try to put you down and say your opinion is BS, I'm paraphrasing what you said but just take a deep breath Hump, you're on record.

Cheers!

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

Take. a breath, you seem to be fierce in me suggesting these things and I don't want to just ignore your post(not ignore you) like you didn't say anything but I feel you're missing the larger point and that's the risk, especially in shoving Richardson into the Top 10.

And I can do anything I want in trying to explain my bizarre but very historically based POV, I didn't seek you out and try to put you down and say your opinion is BS, I'm paraphrasing what you said but just take a deep breath Hump, you're on record.

Cheers!
There's no point to miss.

You can't just rewrite history to try and make your point. I mean, you can, but you can't expect to be taken seriously if you do. Especially when that point has zero impact on this year and more specifically this player.

Even if you want to claim that all 3 QBs can't be successful (which isn't true), how does that mean that Richardson can't be? Why can't one or both of the other two not pan out, rendering your attempt at a point completely moot?

Anyway, there's plenty of things you can point to if you want to argue against Richardson being successful. Making up a scenario where Tua and Herbert flipped draft spots to say that the 3rd QB drafted that year wasn't successful which means obviously it can't happen this year is beyond silly IMO. Especially when the 3rd QB drafted that year (and in 2018) are incredibly successful.

Cheers!

wow

Trey Lance?

Hey Trav,

Cheers!

I think tua is going to work out fine for you.

Agreed. I feel bad for the Panthers & Texans.
Very possible. Personally, I thought Young was the only one I really trust to be good in the NFL. Luckily in fantasy, you don't always have to be good to be valuable, as "top-10 QB whenever he started" Taysom Hill proved.
Young does seem the most NFL ready, that's for sure.

MoP makes a great point though, history is pretty strongly against all three of these guys hitting. One? Sure. Two? It happens. All three? Man the odds seem slim.

But NFL success and fantasy success are different things. Since we're in the redraft time of year it almost seems obvious that Richardson is the safest bet to produce viable fantasy numbers in 2023.

Agreed. I feel bad for the Panthers & Texans.
Very possible. Personally, I thought Young was the only one I really trust to be good in the NFL. Luckily in fantasy, you don't always have to be good to be valuable, as "top-10 QB whenever he started" Taysom Hill proved.
Young does seem the most NFL ready, that's for sure.

MoP makes a great point though, history is pretty strongly against all three of these guys hitting. One? Sure. Two? It happens. All three? Man the odds seem slim.

But NFL success and fantasy success are different things. Since we're in the redraft time of year it almost seems obvious that Richardson is the safest bet to produce viable fantasy numbers in 2023.

Right. It's not about winning. It's about putting up those damn points

Users who are viewing this thread