What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB/TE draft strategy 2023 (1 Viewer)

Keep hoping I can get one of L. Jackson/Fields/Burrow/Herbert in the 4th or 5th. That's worked so far in mocks.

However, if I wait until the 5th for one of those QBs all of Waller, Hock, and Goedert get sniped. Want no part of Kittle or Pitts.

The next tier of one is Friermuth, and at an ADP of 92 it seems like there is a panic always to grab him early. Friermuth seems to be the last stand before you officially punt the position.

Of course, if just avoided getting cute and got my QB in the 4th (Lamar or Fields), I'd get my TE in round 5. The sacrifice in mocks is NOT getting D. Pierce in the fourth as a #2 RB.
I'm of a similar mindset, but I'm thinking about taking Waller in the 5th and hope at least one of those QBs falls to the 6th. The other advantage to that strategy is that I'm mostly OK with Tua or Geno as a fallback option (although in that case I would feel compelled to draft a second QB)
Seems like Herbert never makes it into round 6. What usually seems to happen: Get Waller in the 5th, miss on Herbert, and hope Lawrence is still there...and too often he's not because he's the last QB in that tier before you then have to cross a 3 round chasm to the likes of Geno, Jones, Tua, Richardson.

Agreed that you can't get QB and TE early. I drafted Lamar in round 3 and missed out on my TE targets in rounds 4/5/6 and ended up with La Porta the Lions rookie TE in the 14th. Not happy with my TE situation at all. Hopefully Lamar beasts and makes it worth while

I'm starting to prep for my main money league: 14-team, standard scoring, 3WRs. I'm realizing that the extra two teams make it pretty much impossible to pull off my strategy of "Get Waller + mid-tier QB in Rounds 5-6". At best I can get one of them, but not both unless I'm willing to move everything up a round and do it 4/5 (but that's exactly when I need to be stockpiling WRs). So good chance I'll have to punt at least one of the positions.

But in a deeper league, that carries its own risk. Last year in that league I drafted Brady and would have been more than happy to drop him and stream the position, but there was never anyone even remotely decent on the WW so I ended up sticking with him all season.

As of now, the strategy I'm toying with is try to get Waller in the 5th, then for QB try to get Tua/Geno plus a lotto ticket like Love, Purdy or Howell. (I'd say Richardson here, but this league has depressed passing stats -- 35yds=1 pt -- which makes running QBs even more valuable. I'm guessing Richardson goes way earlier

I'm starting to prep for my main money league: 14-team, standard scoring, 3WRs. I'm realizing that the extra two teams make it pretty much impossible to pull off my strategy of "Get Waller + mid-tier QB in Rounds 5-6". At best I can get one of them, but not both unless I'm willing to move everything up a round and do it 4/5 (but that's exactly when I need to be stockpiling WRs). So good chance I'll have to punt at least one of the positions.

But in a deeper league, that carries its own risk. Last year in that league I drafted Brady and would have been more than happy to drop him and stream the position, but there was never anyone even remotely decent on the WW so I ended up sticking with him all season.

As of now, the strategy I'm toying with is try to get Waller in the 5th, then for QB try to get Tua/Geno plus a lotto ticket like Love, Purdy or Howell. (I'd say Richardson here, but this league has depressed passing stats -- 35yds=1 pt -- which makes running QBs even more valuable. I'm guessing Richardson goes way earlier
I am not a Waller guy anymore but if you are, I like this strategy.

Curious to dig into that remark a little. What put you off of him? Who have you pivoted to? Because I gotta say, the thought of going into the draft with basically one TE I'm targeting -- and it's a guy coming off two straight down years -- is starting to make me a little nervous

Curious to dig into that remark a little. What put you off of him? Who have you pivoted to? Because I gotta say, the thought of going into the draft with basically one TE I'm targeting -- and it's a guy coming off two straight down years -- is starting to make me a little nervous
I think it's what you said, the couple down years. He's been hurt too. Just seems to me like a player on the decline. He was always an outlier even achieving what he did. I like Hock and love Goedert this year.

I think it's what you said, the couple down years. He's been hurt too. Just seems to me like a player on the decline. He was always an outlier even achieving what he did. I like Hock and love Goedert this year.
Yeah, I'm thinking of expanding my target list a little. I guess I'd be OK with Hock or Pitts, but that doesn't really solve the problem, since they usually go before Waller. There's not really a tier in between those guys and the late-round dart throws. I guess maybe Engram?

Yeah, I'm thinking of expanding my target list a little. I guess I'd be OK with Hock or Pitts, but that doesn't really solve the problem, since they usually go before Waller. There's not really a tier in between those guys and the late-round dart throws. I guess maybe Engram?
Yep, Engram is my guy if a miss on Hock-Goedert.

Agreed that you can't get QB and TE early. I drafted Lamar in round 3 and missed out on my TE targets in rounds 4/5/6 and ended up with La Porta the Lions rookie TE in the 14th. Not happy with my TE situation at all. Hopefully Lamar beasts and makes it worth while
I’ve managed to get Lamar in rounds 4, 4, and 5 in 12-team redraft. Fields in the 6th, and TLaw in the 5th.

So far.

3rd seems slightly early, but I get it.

This is the first year I can remember I'm targeting a QB and TE both relatively early.

Want one of Lamar/Fields/Herbert/Lawrence in rounds 4/5 and either Kelce in round 1, Andrews round 3, or Hock/Waller/Goedert ronds 5/6.

I'm finding there's a ton of opportunity to find value at RB and WR in rounds 6-9.

I had my draft last night (12 team half PPR) and that's exactly how it panned out for me. I was picking 4th, and was planning on taking one of the "big three" QBs (Mahomes, Allen, Hurts) if they were on the board and crazy value at WR or RB didn't drop. I wasn't sure how TE would play out though. I wasn't thinking Andrews would be there for my 4.09 pick. But if I wanted Hock or Waller I'd have to reach either there or the 5.04.

As it played out, I got Hurts at 3.04 (after starting Chase 1.04 and AJ Brown 2.09). Mahomes and Allen were taken before Hurts. And Andrews did fall to me at 4.09 and I couldn't resist (hoping to not repeat last year's disaster of taking Pitts in the 4th). As mentioned, this year seems to have lots of value at RB and WR in the middle rounds. Since I started WR/WR I was then looking for RBs and got Sanders, Akers, and Dobbins in the next 3 rounds.

In this draft 7 QBs were taken by the end of round 4, and 7 TEs by the end of the round 6.

Got my pick number in my upcoming snake draft. It’s 4.

I’ve been mocking and I’ve been equally happy with the teams I get going either Ekeler or Kelce first. Im leaning Kelce because of the massive value gap between him and the rest.

Most likely waiting at QB because this league loves drafting QBs ahead of ADP.

Found out tonight I'm picking 2nd in this league. Just did a mock draft with those parameters and Waller went at the end of the third round! Probably just a fluke, but if his ADP gets pushed up that high I'm definitely out on him.

Found out tonight I'm picking 2nd in this league. Just did a mock draft with those parameters and Waller went at the end of the third round! Probably just a fluke, but if his ADP gets pushed up that high I'm definitely out on him.
He went in the 6th in mine which is a fairly competitive home league.

This was REALLY just a personal choice. Because I’ve spent the last 3-4 seasons feeling like I’m really smart waiting on QB and TE and loading up at other positions. But then just banging my head against the wall all season playing the wire and never truly finding my guy, or watching the tandem of QBs I own blow up on the bench while my other QB shat the bed.

Took Hock in the 4th and Herbert in the 5th.

My RB room is sparse but I’m ready to hopefully set it and forget it for the season (barring injury) at these two positions I’ve been playing roulette with for years (and missing the playoffs)

Herbert was maybe a little early but I like how my roster turned out.

He went in the 6th in mine which is a fairly competitive home league.
Problem with picking in the 2-slot is I'm going to have to make a call at the 4/5 turn. Could potentially go QB/TE there, but it's way earlier than I'd like. (Would have much preferred to be picking near the opposite turn, so I could employ same strategy at 5/6).

Current thinking is that I'll take one of the two at the 4/5 turn (probably TE if Hock or Waller are still on the board) and then hope something decent comes back to me at the 6/7; if not TLaw then at least Tua or Geno

This was REALLY just a personal choice. Because I’ve spent the last 3-4 seasons feeling like I’m really smart waiting on QB and TE and loading up at other positions. But then just banging my head against the wall all season playing the wire and never truly finding my guy, or watching the tandem of QBs I own blow up on the bench while my other QB shat the bed.

My RB room is sparse but I’m ready to hopefully set it and forget it for the season (barring injury) at these two positions I’ve been playing roulette with for years (and missing the playoffs)

That is outstanding. Herbert has not lasted to the 5th in any draft I have been in.

That is outstanding. Herbert has not lasted to the 5th in any draft I have been in.
Mahomes and Hurts in the second.
Jackson and Allen in the third.
Burrow in the fourth.

Herbert and Fields in the 5th.

Granted this is a 6 pt passing TD league.

Yeah one team I had last year I drafted Pitts and waited on QB with Lance and another solid QB. I had to constantly pluck another TE off waivers and did the same with QB.

I was lucky enough to pick up Geno and Fields, but TE was a nightmare.

I'm solving both issues by round 5.

Once L. Jackson is selected in the beginning of the 2nd tier, they all go fast. I've tried to get cute waiting until round 6 and I get screwed every time.

Yeah one team I had last year I drafted Pitts and waited on QB with Lance and another solid QB. I had to constantly pluck another TE off waivers and did the same with QB.

Once L. Jackson is selected in the beginning of the 2nd tier, they all go fast. I've tried to get cute waiting until round 6 and I get screwed every time.
On the one hand, everyone struggled at TE last year, so it wasn't a huge loss.

But yeah, I started off last year losing two of my first three, both by 1.1 points, in games where I got zero from the TE position. So I get it

On the one hand, everyone struggled at TE last year, so it wasn't a huge loss.

But yeah, I started off last year losing two of my first three, both by 1.1 points, in games where I got zero from the TE position. So I get it
Ha. I remember this well. I think I had a 4 week span where I changed and grabbed new TEs each week and kept getting zeros.

Agreed that you can't get QB and TE early. I drafted Lamar in round 3 and missed out on my TE targets in rounds 4/5/6 and ended up with La Porta the Lions rookie TE in the 14th. Not happy with my TE situation at all. Hopefully Lamar beasts and makes it worth while.
Generally, in a standard lineup I feel that drafting 3s & 4s at WR or RB before a QB1 doesn't make a lot of sense. Mainly because by round 6 you're prioritizing your bench over starters @QB & TE. Now, someone could counter by pointing out that Geno Smith (QB5 in nfl.com leagues a year ago) is severely undervalued. Then, in the back paired him with Jordan Love! "Wasn't me", but the guy that did that is probably very hard to beat. In .5ppr at nfl.com the TE7 last year was Cole Kmet. I'm sorry but wherever he came off your board, he should've been your starter before a league-mate's backup! I'd check your wire for him, Hunter Henry, then Luke Musgrave.

I also drafted Lamar Jackson in the 3rd rd, which would be deemed early. I did it because this happened to be a keeper league where Mahomes/Allen/Hurts were listed, off the board. Also, I traded to the back of the 4th to list Hockenson as a keeper which yielded me an early 5th. Plus, in another league which had previously drafted pick 40 was Dak, the 8th QB selected. So, spooked I reached for Jackson & added Geno in the back of the 8th. The QB on everyone's wire I really like is Mac jones. I hope to have been less critique and more help. Good luck brother! :)

Final draft tonight: Picking #2 in a 14-team non-PPR, 4pt passing TDs, 1pt = 35 passing yards (so running QBs tend to be more valuable; Fields was QB5 last year).

My goal is to get my QB/TE at the 4/5 turn. Ideally Waller or Hock and a mid-tier QB (Fields/Burrow/Herbert/TLaw). I'd definitely consider one of the Big Three if they fall to the early 3rd, and possibly LJax, but with 14 teams I don't love what that does to my RBs/WRs.

However, there's a good chance I lose out on one or both of those targets, so I need to have a backup plan going in. For QB, I'll probably target Richardson plus a safer option like Geno, Goff or DJones (don't like him in regular leagues, but he was QB8 in this league last year).

For TE, it's tougher. I've been trying to get Waller in all of my drafts so far and keep missing him. There's no one late-round TE I particularly like, although I'm rising on Turd Ferguson. Also, I've gotten rookie TEs (Kincaid and LaPorta) in previous drafts, so maybe Musgrave here? But I feel like anyone after Waller/Hock is going to be a dart throw. Also, I don't mind having 2 QBs or 2 TEs, but I'd really prefer not to have both.

Final draft tonight: Picking #2 in a 14-team non-PPR, 4pt passing TDs, 1pt = 35 passing yards (so running QBs tend to be more valuable; Fields was QB5 last year).

My goal is to get my QB/TE at the 4/5 turn. Ideally Waller or Hock and a mid-tier QB (Fields/Burrow/Herbert/TLaw). I'd definitely consider one of the Big Three if they fall to the early 3rd, and possibly LJax, but with 14 teams I don't love what that does to my RBs/WRs.

However, there's a good chance I lose out on one or both of those targets, so I need to have a backup plan going in. For QB, I'll probably target Richardson plus a safer option like Geno, Goff or DJones (don't like him in regular leagues, but he was QB8 in this league last year).

For TE, it's tougher. I've been trying to get Waller in all of my drafts so far and keep missing him. There's no one late-round TE I particularly like, although I'm rising on Turd Ferguson. Also, I've gotten rookie TEs (Kincaid and LaPorta) in previous drafts, so maybe Musgrave here? But I feel like anyone after Waller/Hock is going to be a dart throw. Also, I don't mind having 2 QBs or 2 TEs, but I'd really prefer not to have both.
Have never played with that scoring setting, nor in a 14-teamer, so consider this grain of salt stuff. You want the value at QB/TE to fall to you but to me you're passing on it at QB at the 2/3 turn. Then, if what you're looking for at either position for isn't there at the 4/5 turn, you leave out what's happening at the back of the 6th. Important because you're then weighing drafting bench players over 1's at QB/TE. I win, I lose just as frequently.. but I question whether that's winning strategy. In the back you mention Kincaid, love this player, but there's no mention of Cole Kmet or Jordan Love... I don't get it.

Have never played with that scoring setting, nor in a 14-teamer, so consider this grain of salt stuff. You want the value at QB/TE to fall to you but to me you're passing on it at QB at the 2/3 turn. Then, if what you're looking for at either position for isn't there at the 4/5 turn, you leave out what's happening at the back of the 6th. Important because you're then weighing drafting bench players over 1's at QB/TE. I win, I lose just as frequently.. but I question whether that's winning strategy. In the back you mention Kincaid, love this player, but there's no mention of Cole Kmet or Jordan Love... I don't get it.
What value do you think I'd be leaving at the 2/3 if the Big Three are already gone? Maybe with this league's scoring, LJax makes it a Big Four.

I do like Love super late. Could definitely see pairing him with a safer option. Not as crazy about Kmet, although I suppose he does have a path to being No. 2 on his team in targets (which Andrew Cooper has demonstrated is absolutely necessary for a TE to be an upper-half TE1)

What value do you think I'd be leaving at the 2/3 if the Big Three are already gone? Maybe with this league's scoring, LJax makes it a Big Four. I do like Love super late. Could definitely see pairing him with a safer option. Not as crazy about Kmet, although I suppose he does have a path to being No. 2 on his team in targets (which Andrew Cooper has demonstrated is absolutely necessary for a TE to be an upper-half TE1)
Such is your circumstance, oh, Jackson & Fields, they're not those guys. Right, so you circle back & if Geno is there in like the 8th round, go get him. I'm not convinced you like Jordan Love, but with your setting & the lesser certainty of Jackson/Fields, I'd reach for him! At TE, a combination of Freiermuth/Kmet/Kincaid, meaning two of three. It's just me, but if you're one of the last team owners to add TE, you need to be the 1st guy to double down at the position. Ball-carriers I like in the back are Jerome Ford, Ty Chandler, Tank Bigsby, Allgeier. Anyway, good luck with your draft! Let us know.

In the minority here but at 24/25 overall 2.12 and 3.1 if Waddle isn’t there I may be tempted to pair Jefferson with Hurts and Andrews and then just load up on RB/WR rest of way.
Ended up going WR-WR-WR (Jefferson, Waddle, Olave)

Got Justin Herbert 5.1 and unfortunately all the was left was Pat Friermuth at 8.12 as the 10th or 11th TE taken.

What value do you think I'd be leaving at the 2/3 if the Big Three are already gone? Maybe with this league's scoring, LJax makes it a Big Four. I do like Love super late. Could definitely see pairing him with a safer option. Not as crazy about Kmet, although I suppose he does have a path to being No. 2 on his team in targets (which Andrew Cooper has demonstrated is absolutely necessary for a TE to be an upper-half TE1)
Such is your circumstance, oh, Jackson & Fields, they're not those guys. Right, so you circle back & if Geno is there in like the 8th round, go get him. I'm not convinced you like Jordan Love, but with your setting & the lesser certainty of Jackson/Fields, I'd reach for him! At TE, a combination of Freiermuth/Kmet/Kincaid, meaning two of three. It's just me, but if you're one of the last team owners to add TE, you need to be the 1st guy to double down at the position. Ball-carriers I like in the back are Jerome Ford, Ty Chandler, Tank Bigsby, Allgeier. Anyway, good luck with your draft! Let us know.
You're "not convinced I like Jordan Love"? I wasn't aware that I had to prove my loyalty to your satisfaction. What if I told you I have his face tattooed on my chest? :rolleyes:

In any event, just finished the draft. Could have had Allen in the 2nd, but Higgins was the only WR left I would have been happy with as my WR1 so I didn't want to lose him, and of course, got snaked by the guy drafting after me. So instead, I took Andrews at the 3.2, which I felt particularly happy about when Waller went early in the 4th, before I would have had a chance at him.

Took my QB at the 4/5 turn and had my choice between Herbert and Lawrence. Close call for me, since I'm really convinced Lawrence makes the leap this year, but I felt like Herbert was a more proven commodity with a new OC and some major TD regression coming. But if it doesn't work out you'll see me posting in the "Draft Day Regerts" thread

In the minority here but at 24/25 overall 2.12 and 3.1 if Waddle isn’t there I may be tempted to pair Jefferson with Hurts and Andrews and then just load up on RB/WR rest of way.

Got Justin Herbert 5.1 and unfortunately all the was left was Pat Friermuth at 8.12 as the 10th or 11th TE taken.
Who was you running back in the 4th?

I did basically this exact same thing…

Chase-Olave-Ridley, but I hated the RBs in the 4th, so then went Hockenson-Herbert.

Just curious who you liked there, as I’m not in love with my RBs for obvious reasons, but strong everywhere else and have a lot of bench RBs that if they hit could be cooking.

Chase-Olave-Ridley, but I hated the RBs in the 4th, so then went Hockenson-Herbert.

Just curious who you liked there, as I’m not in love with my RBs for obvious reasons, but strong everywhere else and have a lot of bench RBs that if they hit could be cooking.
I only need to start 1RB, 1 WR 1 TE but 3 flex.

I ended up taking Pierce and panicked as James Cook (Buffalo league) went 4.11 and I’ve been picking him at 5.1 all summer in mocks.

RBs’

Pierce 4.12
Kamara 6.12
Swift 9.1
Elijah Mitchell 12.12
Jeff Wilson on IR

Not thrilled. What did you end up with?
Got sniped on Jamaal William’s later in draft

If Hock is still sitting there after 40-45 names come off the board, he's an easy grab in my book.
Weeks 8-16 he racked over 85 targets, 59 catches, only 3 TDs and you'd like to see more.

140 targets, 95 cacthes, 1,000+ yds and 7TDs, he's a primary target after JJ, the rookie sensation will only open up more lanes for Hock.
Career year this season across the board.
Either myself or MoP Jr took him in the Late 4th in almost every PPR format where TE was mandatory
We both think Andrews falls some this year and Kelce unfortunately is starting off hurt.
Hock has a chance to be the #1TE in FF for at least the start of the '23 season.
Very bullish on him

I'm sure there are other good options but Waller and Kittle seem to be hurt often, Goedert, Engram, Pitts, Njoku, up n down and a lot of down. Engram is going to lose some targets just as easily as Kirk is predicted with the arrival of Ridley.

I like Juwan Johnson as a late TE2, Carr has been very glowing about him in camp and I like him even if you draft Hock, get a back up late.
I like the Tight Ends after the first 10-12+ are off the boards, not sure exactly which ones but it feels like there will be a surprise or two, maybe a rookie like Kincaid, maybe a surprise like Irv Smith in Cinci, but there really is only a couple you should burn an early pick on. TJ Hockenson is one of them this year.

I only need to start 1RB, 1 WR 1 TE but 3 flex.

I ended up taking Pierce and panicked as James Cook (Buffalo league) went 4.11 and I’ve been picking him at 5.1 all summer in mocks.

RBs’

Pierce 4.12
Kamara 6.12
Swift 9.1
Elijah Mitchell 12.12
Jeff Wilson on IR

Not thrilled. What did you end up with?
Got sniped on Jamaal William’s later in draft
My RB room is to die for. But it will play if a lotto ticket hits. We have to start 2 and can flex one.

K Herbert
Swift
Mostert
Gainwell
J Warren
E Mitchell
Ty Chandler

In any event, just finished the draft. Could have had Allen in the 2nd, but Higgins was the only WR left I would have been happy with as my WR1 so I didn't want to lose him, and of course, got snaked by the guy drafting after me. So instead, I took Andrews at the 3.2, which I felt particularly happy about when Waller went early in the 4th, before I would have had a chance at him.

Took my QB at the 4/5 turn and had my choice between Herbert and Lawrence. Close call for me, since I'm really convinced Lawrence makes the leap this year, but I felt like Herbert was a more proven commodity with a new OC and some major TD regression coming. But if it doesn't work out you'll see me posting in the "Draft Day Regerts" thread
lol .. A lot of 1s, you done good! Probably could've worded my position better than I did. I was arguing from my experience, I've drafted QB late & I've drafted QB early, but not backed him up. I don't consider it a change in philosophy but rather an adjustment to the reality I'm confronted with when it doesn't work. Case in point, Justin Herbert last year. I traded to the back of the 4th rd & listed him there & was done at the position. But you & everyone else knows what happened.

I just checked one of my 12-teamer leagues, 20 QBs are currently rostered! The best of what's available are guys like Ryan Tannehill, Mac Jones, Kenny Pickett & Sam Howell. Which is EXACTLY the circumstance I was in with Herbert, he was costing me & there was no real alternative on the wire. I'm done going 5 or 6 deep @RB or WR when I can reasonably fortify the QB position. Same is true of backing up TE, but as a lesser priority.

In last night's 12-team PPR redraft, with 6-point passing TDs, I was not planning on getting one of the Big Three QBs, figuring I would get someone from the next tier in rounds 4 or 5, but Allen was still sitting there at 3.8, and I thought that was better value than anyone remaining at the other positions, so I grabbed him.

Partly because of that and partly because of when they went, I ended up punting TE, grabbing LaPorta (for ceiling) in the 10th and Schultz (for floor) in the 13th. Somewhat luckily, the team that took Kelce at 1.11 also took Goedert in the 7th round, so the projected top 6 TEs are concentrated on 5 teams instead of 6, meaning there are 6 teams instead of 5 that I am more or less on equal footing with TE-wise (with a chance to be better than if LaPorta hits his ceiling).

Users who are viewing this thread