What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Landry to be shadowed by Revis.... (1 Viewer)

that looks like reiss speculation

I'd be pretty surprised if arrington was on hartline, but reiss probably knows the team 10x better than I do

maybe revis on landry with ryan on hartline, I suppose, but who knows

Have Landry and am sitting him with confidence. Landry is Miami's best player on offense, BB takes him away. I don't think he will be totally shut out but I think his ceiling is pretty low unless the Pats blow out Miami and he gets some garbage time points.

This matchup does have me concerned. Question Is who to start in his place. My next best options would seem to be guys like Marquise Lee and Marquess Wilson.

Yahoo player notes list both Landry and Wallace as "on Revis Island" this game. It can't be both of them! Who do I start? Or do I avoid the situation all together and go with VJax?

CORNERBACK

Brandon Browner -- 78 of 78

Darrelle Revis -- 78 of 78

Logan Ryan -- 31 of 78

Malcolm Butler -- 22 of 78

Kyle Arrington -- 11 of 78

Quick-hit thoughts: The game plan initially called for a matchup of Revis on Jarvis Landry, Browner on Brian Hartline and Butler on Mike Wallace. The Dolphins attacked the Butler-Wallace matchup with success early, leading to an in-game adjustment as Butler had played 11 snaps over the first two drives, and then was limited to 11 over the final nine drives. Arrington initially stepped in for Butler as the third cornerback before injuring his hamstring. When Arrington left with injury in the second quarter, that mostly moved Ryan into the No. 3 spot over Butler the rest of the way when the Patriots wanted three cornerbacks on the field. Ryan responded mostly well in his first extended action since a tough game in Green Bay on Nov. 30.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Playing his usual shutdown defense, New England Patriots' cornerback Darrelle Revis was charted as spending time lined up against six different Miami Dolphins receivers in the Patriots' 41-13 win Sunday afternoon. The win clinched the AFC East for the Patriots, something Revis was plenty happy to be a part of.

"This is my first one so I'm very excited," Revis said. "I'm happy to wear the hat and wear the T-shirt. It's pretty awesome."

Revis has been perhaps the Patriots' most important player defensively all season long. Matched up against many of the game's most dangerous receivers, it seems each week that Revis is able to keep whoever he covers from wreaking havoc against the Patriots.

This week was more of the same, as receivers that Revis covered were targeted only five times, reeling in three of those passes. Of those receptions, two were on slant routes up the middle of the field by Jarvis Landry (one for five yards, one for 13) and one was a five-yard snag by Rishard Matthews.

Revis spent the majority of his time on Landry in the first half, charted as lining up opposite him on 24 of the team's 46 defensive snaps. In the second half, however, Revis moved over to cover Mike Wallace, lining up opposite Landry just twice while lining up opposite Wallace 17 times (compared to just 11 times on Wallace in the first half).

"I've watched Mike before so I already have a resume on him if there's an adjustment or whatever it may be. I was inside a lot in the first half and that was my matchup," Revis said. "We've got to make adjustments, coaches made adjustments and they felt it was best for me to switch my job. That's what we do."

Perhaps the change came as a result of the Patriots' defense allowing 13 first-half points, including seven on a one-handed touchdown catch by Wallace as time expired before intermission. As the Patriots' offense began to kick it into gear in the second half, Revis tended to move further off the line in his coverage, likely a decision to prevent the Dolphins from going for the home run throw down the field and quickly getting back into the game. Whatever the plan was, it worked, as the Dolphins failed to score in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread