What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blackish on ABC (1 Viewer)

sublimeone

Footballguy
One of the better sitcoms I've come across in a while... It features Anthony Anderson, an advertising exec, and his family. They're an upper-middle class suburban family and a lot of the episodes poke fun at race perceptions and generational differences when it comes to child rearing and being black.

Laurence Fishburne plays the grandfather and has had some of the best moments so far. Any other fans of this show?

One of the better sitcoms I've come across in a while... It features Anthony Anderson, an advertising exec, and his family. They're an upper-middle class suburban family and a lot of the episodes poke fun at race perceptions and generational differences when it comes to child rearing and being black.

Laurence Fishburne plays the grandfather and has had some of the best moments so far. Any other fans of this show?
Well, Laurence would know about child rearing difficulties.

The wife freaks me out on my wide screen.

That crazy, glassy, fake looking, bugged out, witch eye of hers sends shivers.

Really good show. The one that makes me LOL more than anything else on TV right now.

Fishburne is best used only in small doses, though. Didn't really like the ep where he took over.

Really good show. The one that makes me LOL more than anything else on TV right now.

Fishburne is best used only in small doses, though. Didn't really like the ep where he took over.
Was that the spanking episode? That's probably my favorite episode so far.

Big fan of the show. A bit uneven at times, but one of the better sitcoms I've seen in a while.

Show is great. The two little kids, Jack and Diane, are hysterical. Rainbow is great, too (and really does look like Diana Ross once you realize she's her daughter). Just all-around a very well-done show.

No doubt. If your daughter ends up in pron, you have failed as a parent somewhere along the way.

As a fan of pron and titty bars, thank goodness for all the horrible fathers out there.

I think it's funny the kids are named Jack and Diane. I picture what the dad's reaction must have been when his half-black wife told him that he enjoyed the sounds of John Mellencamp.

I liked it better the first time when it was called "The Cosby Show"

j/k, I actually like the show. In fact, the Wednesday night lineup (8-10) is pretty darn strong.

The Middle

The Goldbergs

Modern Family

blackish

:thumbup:

Nashville, on the other hand, which comes on right after, can bite me.

Oh my.

This show turned terrible on a dime.

(And Modern Family is out of steam too.)
Haven't watched any of this season but deleted from DVR to clear space

sounds like I made the right decision

And yes modern family is pretty terrible now

Life in pieces is actually a pretty good new show on CBS

Dre's mother (Ruby) gives him grief about not going to church in a long time.

Dre: But God knows my heart!

Ruby: Yeah, but He doesn't know your face.

Larry just turned 54..has not aged well. Thought he was much older.

It seems the show has run its course and has aired all the episodes and jokes about racial stereotypes.  Now it is mostly political ads on issues involving race.  

Reminds me of Roseanne back when it came on.  Funny show until they ran out of poor/white trash jokes, then it became not much more than a political stump for Roseanne Barr.

This week's episode:  Police are dirty thugs and the justice system hates black folks.  Shooting unarmed suspects is horrible and a crime in some circumstances, but they make it sound like that is all the police do anymore.  And I didn't realize that 100% of police officers were white. 

Is there a part 2 next week?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here because I think they've set it up to say something important here.

The context of the show is that Dre is off base about lots of things regarding "blackness" in today's world.

Is there a part 2 next week?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here because I think they've set it up to say something important here.

The context of the show is that Dre is off base about lots of things regarding "blackness" in today's world.
I hope there is a part 2 next week.  Rainbow seems to be Dre's voice of reason on the show when it comes to his point of view regarding "blackness" in today's world.  This episode seemed heavy-handed to me.  I hope the message to be learned here is not to be afraid of the police because of your race.  They didn't mention that a 17 year old teen maybe shouldn't be driving around unsafely (over 90 mph) and in possession of a gun.  

I hope there is a part 2 next week.  Rainbow seems to be Dre's voice of reason on the show when it comes to his point of view regarding "blackness" in today's world.  This episode seemed heavy-handed to me.  I hope the message to be learned here is not to be afraid of the police because of your race.  They didn't mention that a 17 year old teen maybe shouldn't be driving around unsafely (over 90 mph) and in possession of a gun.  
Actually, they did. Junior pointed it out.

Actually, they did. Junior pointed it out.
He pointed out to Pops that the kid had a gun.  I don't recall hearing Junior tell Pops that "maybe the kid shouldn't be driving around with a gun."  That is what I meant.  

There were parts where Jr and Bow would comment to Dre's contrary on the issue.  But each time they said something like that, it quickly moved back to Dre and Pops' point of view (e.g. the verdict was announced) and Bow and Junior would 'sigh' as if to say "maybe you're right."  In the end, they all went to the protest.  I think the episode was well done if you see things as Dre and his parents do.  They included Bow's counterpoints but they were taken down by the verdict that showed the corrupt judicial system slanted against African Americans... validating Dre's stance all along.  It's my opinion, of course.  But that's how it came across to me. 

It was definitely heavy handed but it seemed like it was intentionally black & white (no pun) setting up the situation. That's where I'm hoping that next week is more blackish and shows that the characters may have been quick to judge - like the show usually dies does.

I hope you're right.  I've always liked the show and think it is very funny, although I miss his work friend that was replaced by Wanda Sikes,  for who knows why.  

It was definitely heavy handed but it seemed like it was intentionally black & white (no pun) setting up the situation. 
According to this article:  Show creator Kenya Barris, who wrote the episode, set out to provide different voices on the issue from different characters.  

But Barris wasn't interested in making "Hope" about the outrage that's plastered across 24-hour news channels when an announcement of "no indictments" comes down, or preaching the other side that the victims deserved it, because Barris knows the situation is much more complicated than putting it in black and white terms. Instead, Barris gave each of his many characters different voices in the conversation that relates to police brutality and the flawed justice system in order to encourage viewers to think.
Barris doesn't want to tell viewers how to think about the rash of police killings—in fact, he wants you to hear and understand all sides, not just the one he thinks—but he does want to offer you advice. 

What does Barris want his viewers to think after watching this episode?  It wasn't meant to be intentionally black & white.  But we agree that it came across as heavy handed and we're hoping for a part 2 that sort of balances things out.  Will there be a part two?  I'm not counting on it.  

Also pretty good time to air this episode as it seems to fit perfectly into Hillary Clinton's wheelhouse for this campaign.  

I never thought this show would be much when I saw it advertised.  Was reading this thread and thinking "the guys seem to like it, I'll check it out" BUT THEN sounds like a lot of you turned sour on it after about 9 months. I agree on the Life in Pieces..That's good stuff. I also like Modern Family but thinking it's done all it can do.

My problem/concern  with shows like these are that I think it is incredibly hard to keep them fresh because the light-hearted side always wants the easy stereotypical stuff but there's only so much of that to go around that hasn't been done ad naseum and then inevitably the writers try to "think too much" and find a way to present serious issues and I just don't think that works...for me. 

I don't know how to describe it but I think the best shows like these were the ones that somehow did it but "kept it real", like the Jeffersons and Sanford & Son.  Of course, I underappreciated those shows until I reached a certain age so maybe it was all timing in that those shows were new and fresh and now everything seems recycled and recanned to me.   

According to this article:  Show creator Kenya Barris, who wrote the episode, set out to provide different voices on the issue from different characters.  

What does Barris want his viewers to think after watching this episode?  It wasn't meant to be intentionally black & white.  But we agree that it came across as heavy handed and we're hoping for a part 2 that sort of balances things out.  Will there be a part two?  I'm not counting on it.  
If that's what he was going for I think he failed. I didn't find it nuanced at all.

It did, however, make me think once again about how difficult it must be to look at world events through a black person's eyes and remain objective. It's easy for this white, suburban guy to say "well it's (police/black interaction) not that simple" when I've never dealt with more than a speeding ticket I deserved.

If that's what he was going for I think he failed. I didn't find it nuanced at all.

It did, however, make me think once again about how difficult it must be to look at world events through a black person's eyes and remain objective. It's easy for this white, suburban guy to say "well it's (police/black interaction) not that simple" when I've never dealt with more than a speeding ticket I deserved.
This is true.  I was arrested once as a teenager for fighting in the parking lot of a public place but paid bail and didn't have to spend any nights in jail.  Other than that, just a speeding ticket here and there.  I don't know if I would have been treated any differently had I been black.  I was maced and hand cuffed.  Not sure if they used tasers in the 80s but thankfully I wasn't tased (tazed?).  

It seems the show has run its course and has aired all the episodes and jokes about racial stereotypes.  Now it is mostly political ads on issues involving race.  
wasn't the week before about the stereotype that blacks can't swim?

wasn't the week before about the stereotype that blacks can't swim?
yeah, they're catching all the stereotypes but even with the swimming episode they threw in a few jabs at women who choose to be stay at home moms, like that is somehow demeaning to women or shows that women who aren't in the career work force are somehow inferior.  My wife said she felt offended by that and it isn't the only episode where they have Bow talk negatively about stay at home moms.  

Users who are viewing this thread