What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Sons of Liberty" on the History Channel (1 Viewer)

doowain

Footballguy
Three 2 hour episodes Sunday - Tuesday this week. Wife and I watched Sunday's episode last night and will be watching the rest. Love shows like this (I've watched all of Turn).

Very good acting thus far.

Some notables: Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) as Ben Franklin, Martin Csokas (Lord of the Rings) as General Gage, and the dude who played Prince Caspian in The Chronicles of Narnia as Sam Adams.

From IMDB:

"The true story of a group of very different men fighting in the American Colonies for freedom, and how they will shape the future for the United States of America."

Anyone else watching?

I apologize if this is a honda. Searched "Sons of Liberty" and didn't find anything.

ETA: Doh. Fixed post. Premiered on Sunday. We watched on DVR last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three 2 hour episodes Monday - Wednesday this week. Wife and I watched this last night and will be watching the rest. Love shows like this (I've watched all of Turn).

Some notables: Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) as Ben Franklin, Martin Csokas (Lord of the Rings) as General Gage, and the dude who played Prince Caspian in The Chronicles of Narnia as Sam Adams.

From IMDB:

"The true story of a group of very different men fighting in the American Colonies for freedom, and how they will shape the future for the United States of America."

Anyone else watching?

I apologize if this is a honda. Searched "Sons of Liberty" and didn't find anything.
I believe it's Sunday through Tuesday. The last one is on tonight, I believe.

Three 2 hour episodes Monday - Wednesday this week. Wife and I watched this last night and will be watching the rest. Love shows like this (I've watched all of Turn).

From IMDB:

Anyone else watching?

I believe it's Sunday through Tuesday. The last one is on tonight, I believe.
You're right. 11pm on Sunday. We watched the Sunday episode last night on DVR.

Started to watch the first episode last night but heard a strange noise coming from my subwoofer. ####### blew a cap. Will start tonight. Looks good but not quite historically accurate.

It is 1980 and the New York Yankees are a shell of a baseball team. They haven't won a World Series in 10 years. Not since Yogi Berra's walk-off grandslam against Nolan Ryan.

In the off-season Star centerfielder Mickey Mantle has died of Mickey Mantle's disease.

Reggie Jackson has been convicted of killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown.

Thurmon Munson's P-38 was shot down over Hanoi.

Last year's Rookie of the Year Darryl Strawberry is now banned for life thanks to his part in the infamous Watergate point-shaving scandal.

Manager Jeff Torborg knows his job is on the line.

Then, out of nowhere, comes rookie phenom Derek Jeter. Can this cannon-armed pitcher from the Iowa cornfields save this once great ball club?

Be sure to watch the premire of premiere of "Stars and Pinstripes Forever" this Sunday on The History Channel.

I was excited to see Sons of Liberty, but then I read a review that the show had a scene with a young, strapping Sam Adams jumping rooftop to rooftop like a parkour champion even though, in reality, Adams was a pot-bellied, middle-aged man during that period.

It is 1980 and the New York Yankees are a shell of a baseball team. They haven't won a World Series in 10 years. Not since Yogi Berra's walk-off grandslam against Nolan Ryan.

In the off-season Star centerfielder Mickey Mantle has died of Mickey Mantle's disease.

Reggie Jackson has been convicted of killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown.

Thurmon Munson's P-38 was shot down over Hanoi.

Last year's Rookie of the Year Darryl Strawberry is now banned for life thanks to his part in the infamous Watergate point-shaving scandal.

Manager Jeff Torborg knows his job is on the line.

Then, out of nowhere, comes rookie phenom Derek Jeter. Can this cannon-armed pitcher from the Iowa cornfields save this once great ball club?

Be sure to watch the premire of premiere of "Stars and Pinstripes Forever" this Sunday on The History Channel.
####

:lmao:

I was excited to see Sons of Liberty, but then I read a review that the show had a scene with a young, strapping Sam Adams jumping rooftop to rooftop like a parkour champion even though, in reality, Adams was a pot-bellied, middle-aged man during that period.
Hello, exactly.

Mixed reaction after watching episode 1. Compelling drama and it has my teenage son interested even more in American history.

Much better than the dreck on broadcast TV

But the inaccuracies are pretty hard to ignore.

But if they portray him as a pot-bellied middle-aged man at the opening wouldn't that clash with the image of one of their sponsors?

http://samueladams.s3.amazonaws.com/app_assets/bottledetaillargebostonale--en--a02a5c08-31bf-424d-8595-f16430234203.png

Mixed reaction after watching episode 1. Compelling drama and it has my teenage son interested even more in American history.

1. Pretty sure the REAL events leading up to the Revolution were "compelling drama" already. Not sure if there is a need to "sexy" it up.

2. :thumbup: Show him that link I posted above from the Journal of the American Revolution.

1. Pretty sure the REAL events leading up to the Revolution were "compelling drama" already. Not sure if there is a need to "sexy" it up.

2. :thumbup: Show him that link I posted above from the Journal of the American Revolution.
Oh I will. Actually I'll probably just post it to facebook and let nature take its course.

"The true story..."
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was 1000x more historically accurate.
Where do you have that PhD in American History framed?
:shrug: I have a BA.
o\/\/nage
You can pick up a BA from Amazon. Think they were like $9.74 with Prime on Black Friday.
So you're defending the historical accuracy of this show?

It was a scene right out of Assassins Creed. He kept looking for somewhere to jump so I yelled at the TV "find a ####### cart full of hay idiot!"

"The true story..."
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was 1000x more historically accurate.
Where do you have that PhD in American History framed?
:shrug: I have a BA.
o\/\/nage
You can pick up a BA from Amazon. Think they were like $9.74 with Prime on Black Friday.
So you're defending the historical accuracy of this show?
Not at all.

I'm just about done my Associates degree in American History. Then I plan on moving to Florida and finishing out my Bachelors. Then getting a car. Then getting some women. Wait. I meant, first I was going to smoke weed. Then move to Florida. Geez. I have no idea why I keep forgetting that part.

I have this one recording, but haven't watched it yet and hadn't read the reviews. Should have known better than to expect history on The History Channel.

I have this one recording, but haven't watched it yet and hadn't read the reviews. Should have known better than to expect history on The History Channel.
It's a lot more history than the (staged) Pawn Stars.

Watch the first episode then check out the Journal of American Revolution link above.

Hello, exactly.
I was looking forward to the show and the previews looked great. However....well , I've been in and out. And when this part came on I was out. Come on.

It really hasn't been that good or as good as I expected. With such great subject matter I expected much more.

Will give the finale tonight a try though.

I thought it was odd they used a Rolling Stones song in the preview. Of all the countries they could have picked from, they chose a band from England to represent the show about the American Revolution? :confused:

Early Autumn, 2001: President George W. Bush is still settling in as President of the United States. Son of a former president and heir to a baked bean fortune, "Wrangler" Bush's obvious pedigree helped him earn a landslide victory over Bill Algore in the 2000 election. Americans, still reeling from the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan, are enjoying the stability of the Bush Jr. years.

Yet, half a world away a sinister plot has been put into motion. Osama Ben Ladin, prince of Al-Qatar, has vowed revenge for what America did to his country during the Gulf War (1992-1992). Ladin's henchmen have hijacked a convoy of Concordes over the Atlantic and are flying them straight towards The Empire Trade Center.

Wrangler Bush calls on the one man he know he count on: CIA operative and former UFC light-heavyweight champion Karl Rove. But Ladin is one step ahead of the game...he has planted a bomb on a bus that Rove's wife, Oprah, is a passenger on. If Rove leaves his office at the Pentangle the bomb will dentonate. Rove must choose between the love of his wife and the love of his country.

Enter Navy fighter jocks (and master cocksmen) Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell. Can their squadron of misfits and castoffs save America?

Be sure to watch "September 11th Hour" next Sunday on The History Channel to find out.

I thought it was odd they used a Rolling Stones song in the preview. Of all the countries they could have picked from, they chose a band from England to represent the show about the American Revolution? :confused:
But the Sam Adams brewery ad with the "new guy" from England was pretty good

Is it really bad? I thought it was going to be like The World Wars not what you guys describe.
It's good entertainment. But I wouldn't advise history teachers use the video to kill time while they grade papers.

Oh, that explains everything.

It's a lot more history than the (staged) Pawn Stars.

Watch the first episode then check out the Journal of American Revolution link above.
Ok, I'll give it a shot. I don't mind historical fiction if I know that is what it is going in. My enjoyment of 1776 was not lessened by the fact that I doubt John Adams was singing "Piddle, Twiddle."

Users who are viewing this thread