What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UP FOR DEBATE: Pre-season Free Agency (1 Viewer)

Would knowing that you have this new preseason free agency encourage you to draft earlier in the pre

• Most likely yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Most likely no

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Wouldn't effect me (I would still draft the same amount I did before)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Alex - FFPC

Footballguy
We have been discussing internally the impact of adding a preseason free agency (FAAB) period to the Footballguys Players Championship (FPC) to be run on Friday, prior to Labor Day weekend.

I am most interested in your opinions on adding preseason free agency period for the FPC leagues as this would mean free agency for leagues drafted prior to that Friday and no free agency for leagues drafted between Friday and the start of the 2015 NFL season.

Please vote in the above poll and post your opinions on this thread. Thank you!

I like it as is. It adds a bit of strategy on if you want a backup qb/k or another skill position lotto ticket.

Why should those who CHOSE to draft early be awarded a FAAB period that others don't get?
It's a valid question which we ourselves asked when thinking about this. My response is, if you feel this it is an advantage to draft early and have a FAAB period, then it is your choice when to draft. I'm guessing not everyone will agree that the FAAB is advantage and will still opt to draft afterwards. Don't you think? Bottom line is, the choice is still up to the owners which drafts to enter, is it not?

Why should those who CHOSE to draft early be awarded a FAAB period that others don't get?
It's a valid question which we ourselves asked when thinking about this. My response is, if you feel this it is an advantage to draft early and have a FAAB period, then it is your choice when to draft. I'm guessing not everyone will agree that the FAAB is advantage and will still opt to draft afterwards. Don't you think? Bottom line is, the choice is still up to the owners which drafts to enter, is it not?
The choice is there already Alex - draft early if either you think you know more now than the competition or are going to draft several teams and want an early look at how others view the player pool. BUT if you opt to do that there is no way you should get the bonus of an extra FAAB period which those who don't draft early won't have. Let's keep things on the same level they have been.

The choice is there already Alex - draft early if either you think you know more now than the competition or are going to draft several teams and want an early look at how others view the player pool. BUT if you opt to do that there is no way you should get the bonus of an extra FAAB period which those who don't draft early won't have. Let's keep things on the same level they have been.
We are always very keen to keeping things on the same level but choice is what makes things even in the end. I don't think it's debatable that with or without a pre-season FAAB, there are pros or cons to drafting early. My question is: if you are someone who drafts early, do you want a FAAB at the start of the season? If not, I really want to know why?

And if you're a person who drafts late, I understand that you don't want the early drafters getting a FAAB. It's only logical you wouldn't. My question is, is there any other reason you would be against it other than feeling this is an advantage to the early drafters. And let's be honest -- any late drafter can also take advantage of drafting early. But if they don't, then why concede to it? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you hold a preseason waiver period I would hold it on the Friday after the first Thursday game of the season. This way all leagues can participate and it be fair. This is how RTS does it.

If you hold a preseason waiver period I would hold it on the Friday after the first Thursday game of the season. This way all leagues can participate and it be fair. This is how RTS does it.
This is definitely not an option at this time for various reasons.

Here's the new language in the official rules:

NEW RULE: Starting in 2015 there will now be a single “pre-season” free agency process scheduled on Friday, September 4th, 2015 at 10pm ET for any FPC league which draft concludes on or before Thursday, September 3rd, 2015. All FPC leagues drafted on or after Friday, September 4th will begin free agency after NFL Week 1 has concluded.

So this was basically a rule established to increase the # of early tourney entrants... Lets be honest here.

Of all the issues brought up to you last season, this is what you guys decided was most important???

So this was basically a rule established to increase the # of early tourney entrants... Lets be honest here.

Of all the issues brought up to you last season, this is what you guys decided was most important???
Of course we added this to give owners a better reason to draft early. Why would I not be honest about that? Now owners can draft early and not risk losing their kicker or QB (if they only draft one of each) due to injury or being cut. This was a legit problem in the past, especially last year with kickers like Prater and others whose name I can't remember right now.

This additional waiver period also doesn't effect the contest format in any way as some of the other suggestions that we receive and I assume these are what you are referring to. I have always been very clear (and honest) that we are not looking to make changes that directly effect the FPC format. We understand that it may not be perfect but this is Year 6 of the FPC and the contest continues to grow and is enjoyed by thousands of owners in it's current form. We are always considering "tweaks" to the contest and will continue to do so, which is the reason for this add of a pre-season free agency period.

Of course we added this to give owners a better reason to draft early. Why would I not be honest about that? Now owners can draft early and not risk losing their kicker or QB (if they only draft one of each) due to injury or being cut. This was a legit problem in the past, especially last year with kickers like Prater and others whose name I can't remember right now.

This additional waiver period also doesn't effect the contest format in any way as some of the other suggestions that we receive and I assume these are what you are referring to. I have always been very clear (and honest) that we are not looking to make changes that directly effect the FPC format. We understand that it may not be perfect but this is Year 6 of the FPC and the contest continues to grow and is enjoyed by thousands of owners in it's current form. We are always considering "tweaks" to the contest and will continue to do so, which is the reason for this add of a pre-season free agency period.
Yea I don't like it personally. The incentive of drafting early is to get value on guys if you feel you have an edge over the competition. But in doing so, you risk an injury to a player(s), not like owners are forced to draft early either. They willingly do this to get that 'edge' . Now you're giving them a freebee waiver and a free draft pick (1 kicker vs 2) to boot.

I get it, I just don't like it. And like I said, this seems to be more about getting owners to sign up early then anything else...Pretty sure you were ~ 1k entrants under your max last year correct?

Not trying to be negative, but I find it interesting that there were several complaints about the system/rules posted in the thread last year, and I don't recall seeing this mentioned once even.

Yea I don't like it personally. The incentive of drafting early is to get value on guys if you feel you have an edge over the competition. But in doing so, you risk an injury to a player(s), not like owners are forced to draft early either. They willingly do this to get that 'edge' . Now you're giving them a freebee waiver and a free draft pick (1 kicker vs 2) to boot.
How is giving early drafters this new pre-season waiver wire changing the fact that the incentive of drafting early is finding early value? Those two things are completely unrelated. This incentive exists with or without the preseason waiver wire. The risk of injury is also a matter of pure chance. If we can prevent an early drafter from being punished if one of his players gets injured in the preseason, why is that a bad thing?

I will also say this. If you think about it some more, I bet you will realize that the new pre-season waiver wire actually allows for a few new draft strategies to the early drafters previously unavailable. I won't disclose what they may be as it isn't my place to do so but I expect owners will start to figure them out. (No, I am not talking about passing on drafting a Kicker and picking one up later - a complete starting lineup will be required to be drafted).

How is giving early drafters this new pre-season waiver wire changing the fact that the incentive of drafting early is finding early value? Those two things are completely unrelated. This incentive exists with or without the preseason waiver wire. The risk of injury is also a matter of pure chance. If we can prevent an early drafter from being punished if one of his players gets injured in the preseason, why is that a bad thing?

I will also say this. If you think about it some more, I bet you will realize that the new pre-season waiver wire actually allows for a few new draft strategies to the early drafters previously unavailable. I won't disclose what they may be as it isn't my place to do so but I expect owners will start to figure them out. (No, I am not talking about passing on drafting a Kicker and picking one up later - a complete starting lineup will be required to be drafted).
I think u missed my point. The incentive remains the same, the risk however, is completely nullified. The whole risk in drafting early is avoiding injuries to said players you draft. You could even draft 2 QB's and both get hurt, not that shocking really. But hey, that's the risk u took drafting on July 28th. Now under this new rule, all that risk is gone. You can just scoop up whatever replacement player u want for that 1st scoring period. That becomes a bigger deal when there's 11 weeks of regular season play only.

My point is, owners willingly took that risk knowing they could have a depleted roster week 1 of the regular season. Which is all fine and its their choice to do so. This new rule is just giving them that 'cushion' ,if you will, to really have no trepidation in drafting early. At the end of the day, it looks like a ploy to get more entrants into this thing, and not an 'improvement' of any sort to the system. Think the few votes on this poll tend to agree

That's all

I think u missed my point. The incentive remains the same, the risk however, is completely nullified. The whole risk in drafting early is avoiding injuries to said players you draft. You could even draft 2 QB's and both get hurt, not that shocking really. But hey, that's the risk u took drafting on July 28th. Now under this new rule, all that risk is gone. You can just scoop up whatever replacement player u want for that 1st scoring period. That becomes a bigger deal when there's 11 weeks of regular season play only.

My point is, owners willingly took that risk knowing they could have a depleted roster week 1 of the regular season. Which is all fine and its their choice to do so. This new rule is just giving them that 'cushion' ,if you will, to really have no trepidation in drafting early. At the end of the day, it looks like a ploy to get more entrants into this thing, and not an 'improvement' of any sort to the system. Think the few votes on this poll tend to agree

That's all
I don't disagree with any of your observations about mitigating risk. My question is simply, why is that a bad thing for the contest? I get it that if you are a "late" drafter, you rather the early drafters have more risk. That's exactly what I said to Captain Hook earlier in this thread. But no one has yet explained to me how this is bad for the contest. And in the end, anyone can be an early drafter if you want and if you see there to be an advantage.

You also keep bringing up the "ploy" to get more early entrants to which I already responded as that is absolutely correct. We want more players to feel comfortable drafting early. But calling it a ploy as you put it makes it sound malicious. Instead it's a thoughtful decision that's both good for the players and the contest. We have a 7500 team cap this year as we did in 2014 and yes the goal is to fill the contest.

Users who are viewing this thread