What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (10 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/949471343803641856

a couple of interesting parts to this story being discussed. 

1) interesting how often it's cited that cops should shoot if there is even the worry someone has a gun when this woman is allowed to pull a gun and waive it around in the officers faces for awhile before they shoot.

2) young woman with mental health history, no violent offenses and was committing no crime other than failing to report back to her group home and the cops engage in a 3 hour standoff that results in them entering a boyfriends home and killing the woman. 

1) interesting how often it's cited that cops should shoot if there is even the worry someone has a gun when this woman is allowed to pull a gun and waive it around in the officers faces for awhile before they shoot.

2) young woman with mental health history, no violent offenses and was committing no crime other than failing to report back to her group home and the cops engage in a 3 hour standoff that results in them entering a boyfriends home and killing the woman. 
Perfectly justified shooting. That woman was nuts with a gun. 

I bet Tamir Rice or Daniel Shaver wish they were given the sort of leeway this woman was given before they were killed.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/950759105332948992

Shaun King‏Verified account @ShaunKing

Follow Follow @ShaunKing

More

Police in Little Rock, Arkansas shot & killed 17 y/o high school senior Charles Smith, Jr.

He was a beloved son and student - pulled over by police for a routine traffic stop. Friends say the stop was classic racial profiling

32 people killed by American police already in 2018.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/950759105332948992

Shaun King‏Verified account @ShaunKing

Follow Follow @ShaunKing

More

Police in Little Rock, Arkansas shot & killed 17 y/o high school senior Charles Smith, Jr.

He was a beloved son and student - pulled over by police for a routine traffic stop. Friends say the stop was classic racial profiling

32 people killed by American police already in 2018.
Please read before you post bs like this. He tried to shoot a cop. Watch the video. 

Please read before you post bs like this. He tried to shoot a cop. Watch the video. 
That was honestly the point of my post.  Shaun King is a cancer to this country.  Despite clear visual evidence this kid tried to kill a cop (and possibly could have shot his "friends"), he won't ever update his tweet because it doesn't add followers to his trash.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/11/teen-was-breaking-curfew-when-stopped-b/

Charles Edward Smith Jr., the North Little Rock teenager killed by police during an early Sunday exchange of gunfire, was under a court-ordered, 5 p.m. curfew when he died.

The curfew, which barred him from being outside his home at night, was a condition of Smith's release from jail last year as he awaited trial on charges that he had participated in three armed robberies in three counties -- Garland, Lonoke and Miller.

Those darned racist cops.  Why would they ever pull over such a good kid?

No charges to be filed in the Alton Sterling case.  Have no idea why that would have taken so long.  Just letting the rioters forget and move on to other things I guess. 

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article206055609.html

After first saying Stephon Clark had a gun, then changing it to a crowbar, then admitting he just had a cell phone, we now learn that the Sacramento Police shot this man 20 times in his own backyard.
I just saw this.

I really don't understand how/when being a police officer went from 'accepting risks associated with the job while apprehending suspects for lesser crimes', to 'shoot to kill first and ask questions later'.

Perhaps we just never heard of these cases back in the day.

In this case, the police officers were in cover around the corner of the house, had no reason to suspect violent response, never saw a weapon... yet the first instinct is to riddle him with bullets within a half second of giving him their first command from 30 feet away.

May be a little bit sensationalist, but doesn't really change the fact that this was another disturbing police killing.
It obviously changes things a great deal. The narrative here is that the police rolled up and shot a dude just hanging out in his own backyard. That is incredibly different than the police shot a guy that was allegedly trying to break into a house, ran from police while being tracked by a helicopter, and then was knocking on a window at his grandma's house to be let in to escape the police. 

People can make their judgments based on the actual scenario. No need to change the story like urbanhack did. 

It obviously changes things a great deal. The narrative here is that the police rolled up and shot a dude just hanging out in his own backyard. That is incredibly different than the police shot a guy that was allegedly trying to break into a house, ran from police while being tracked by a helicopter, and then was knocking on a window at his grandma's house to be let in to escape the police. 

People can make their judgments based on the actual scenario. No need to change the story like urbanhack did. 
So it wasn't another disturbing police killing? A justified police killing? Shooting a guy "knocking on a window at his grandma's house to be let in to escape the police" is acceptable?

Urbanhack's wording/emphasis doesn't change the story from what it is if you take the time to look at what happened. No one should ever judge a news story on a headline so there's no point spending time arguing that.

So it wasn't another disturbing police killing? A justified police killing? Shooting a guy "knocking on a window at his grandma's house to be let in to escape the police" is acceptable?

Urbanhack's wording/emphasis doesn't change the story from what it is if you take the time to look at what happened. No one should ever judge a news story on a headline so there's no point spending time arguing that.
So it's cool to morph the events as long as the overall premise is what you agree with? 

FBG poster parasaurolophus encourages police shooting of unarmed black men.

I can do it too!

I don't know why we're doing it instead of discussing the case, problem, etc, but here we are.

Pretty sure I never said that and admitted that his phrasing was sensationalist. And in my original post described why it was disturbing.
You say urbanhack's account doesnt change anything. 

Urbanhack's wording/emphasis doesn't change the story from what it is if you take the time to look at what happened.
This is a strange statement to make. It changes the entire scenario. First he is painting it like it is some sinister police cover up. Then he is saying something that is completely false. The police shooting somebody hanging out in their own backyard is very different than what actually happened here. 

As with all things in life there are varying levels of accountability. I think two cops rolling up and shooting somebody hanging out unarmed in his own backyard without identifying themselves as police should be considered criminal behavior.

I think what actually happened here is in the realm of police misconduct, but not criminal behavior. 

My point re: urbanhack is that it doesn't change the story from what the story actually is. I don't care what he posted as the headline. I read the story. I watched the video. If any of this concerns anyone they should do the same for themselves. Urbanhack or CNN or Fox News' description of a story doesn't alter the facts if you take the time to look at them.

My point re: urbanhack is that it doesn't change the story from what the story actually is. I don't care what he posted as the headline. I read the story. I watched the video. If any of this concerns anyone they should do the same for themselves. Urbanhack or CNN or Fox News' description of a story doesn't alter the facts if you take the time to look at them.
Your point is ridiculous. 

(nsfw blood)

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/03/29/san-francisco-police-release-video-of-deadly-barber-shop-shooting/

Police Capt. Valerie Matthews, who heads the major crimes division of the department, said the shooting happened after police were called to the 200 block of Amazon Avenue at 4:28 p.m. on March 21. Family members had reported that Eid was threatening them, flashed a gun, and was trying to break into their garage. When police arrived, the family said he had gone to Amazon Barbershop nearby at 949 Geneva Ave., according to Matthews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78QDwQJVv8

Watching these videos puts into perspective for me how quickly these officers have to make a life altering decision.  I couldn't even see the gun.  

Obviously: “He was a very sweet kid,” the uncle said. “He did not have to die.”

So, no thoughts on why the Canadian police can arrest a mass murderer without shooting him?
Because they are not very good at their job?...Anyone who runs over 25 innocent people killing 10 of those innocent people, should have been shot dead.... what would be the reason to take him alive?

Because they are not very good at their job?...Anyone who runs over 25 innocent people killing 10 of those innocent people, should have been shot dead.... what would be the reason to take him alive?
Yay summary execution!

The posters supporting this approach are pretty clearly not the most sophisticated lot. They identify with simplistic thinking for a reason. 

Yay summary execution!

The posters supporting this approach are pretty clearly not the most sophisticated lot. They identify with simplistic thinking for a reason. 
Yep...Waste time and money not to mention continual heartache for the victims families...By the way do know the definition of summary execution...He wasn't accused of the crime, he was witnessed committing the crime.

Yep...Waste time and money not to mention continual heartache for the victims families...By the way do know the definition of summary execution...He wasn't accused of the crime, he was witnessed committing the crime.
I should know better, but...

So? That’s how an accusation, that may or may not lead to indictment, often begins - with a witness or witnesses. One of the fundamental elements of civilization is that, no matter how horrific the crime, the accused is entitled to due process. Again, the chance that you are remotely familiar with due process, or the enlightenment principles that support it, is around zero. 

"Mr. Policeman, I witnessed Ditka Butkus kill 10 people!  Go kill him!"

But he was brandishing an object in his hands.  US police definitely would have shot first, asked questions later.
Was the Florida school shooter shot and killed by police?  How about the guy who just shot up the waffle house? Just 2 recent examples and I realize you're fishing but this is such a ridiculous statement.   Not saying it doesn't happen but you're painting a pretty broad, terrible picture of the police force in this country.

Was the Florida school shooter shot and killed by police?  How about the guy who just shot up the waffle house? Just 2 recent examples and I realize you're fishing but this is such a ridiculous statement.   Not saying it doesn't happen but you're painting a pretty broad, terrible picture of the police force in this country.
:shrug:

Since 2015, there have been 38 people killed by Canadian Police

In 2015, there were 1146 people killed by US police

No matter how you want to slice it - we have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread