What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (2 Viewers)

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.
It's because when white people critique the black community people like you call them racist. So, in order to avoid that often unfounded criticism, white people use blacks who critique the black community to make their argument by proxy.

:lmao: one non serious post = lecturing people. What are you so angry about anyway?
I promise you I'm not angry about anything. And if you look back you'll see my original reply wasn't actually to you, it was to tdoss (who I consider an iFriend) taking your post about Lewis and running with it and coming to some strained conclusions about the credibility of Lewis vs Obama and whatnot.
:lmao: the entire content of that post was saying how he should never listen to a white suburbanite who has nothing better to do than post here all day. At least own up to it.

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.
Rhetorical yes?TF please post your race and the basis of your intimate knowledge of impoverished black comnunities.
He better f-ing be black for as much as he has schooled us on how we are not black enough to understand.
:lol: don't hold your breath.
How come all of a sudden I picture him as Robert Downey Jr. in Tropical Heat. Tropic Thunder
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://recommandedmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/robert-downey-jr-in-movie-tropic-thunder-2008.jpg&imgrefurl=http://recommandedmovies.com/did-you-know-this/&h=383&w=600&tbnid=pRt843KEqXgDBM:&zoom=1&docid=0B-_d6YAYpqq8M&hl=en&ei=Sd4_VcmREI_HsQTVp4HwCA&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CB4QMygBMAE

Dying :lmao:

It's because when white people critique the black community people like you call them racist. So, in order to avoid that often unfounded criticism, white people use blacks who critique the black community to make their argument by proxy.
People like me?

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa and the impact that has had on the poor and middle class. That is a phenomenon that our best policy makers have wrestled with for a long time.

This is a very complex issue that has problems that aren't easily solved or may not even be solvable.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the suspension of Eminence that happened on Sunday, and his quick return to posting on Monday and the impact that has had on the poor and middle class. That is a phenomenon that our best policy makers have wrestled with for a long time.

This is a very complex issue that has problems that aren't easily solved or may not even be solvable.

Rhetorical yes?TF please post your race and the basis of your intimate knowledge of impoverished black comnunities.
He better f-ing be black for as much as he has schooled us on how we are not black enough to understand.
:lol: don't hold your breath.
How come all of a sudden I picture him as Robert Downey Jr. in Tropical Heat. Tropic Thunder
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://recommandedmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/robert-downey-jr-in-movie-tropic-thunder-2008.jpg&imgrefurl=http://recommandedmovies.com/did-you-know-this/&h=383&w=600&tbnid=pRt843KEqXgDBM:&zoom=1&docid=0B-_d6YAYpqq8M&hl=en&ei=Sd4_VcmREI_HsQTVp4HwCA&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CB4QMygBMAE

Dying :lmao:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/EYQQl6ZJKeY

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
That and according to Tobias we're not allowed to have an opinion on black people.

Riots, Empire and the War on Drugs

Michael S. Rozeff

Riots in Baltimore in April, and it isn’t even riot weather yet. Why?

The immediate cause is the brutal callousness of policemen in the American police state. Whatever has contributed to that police state mentality and activity provides the deeper reasons why the festering repression is breaking out into open hostilities and riot.

Pure racism based on skin color alone is not the direct cause of this rioting. Race is definitely involved but indirectly. Two important causes are at work. First, national policies of empire and war have afflicted poorer Americans more than the wealthier, and racial enclaves are poorer. Second, the war on drugs is a war on black people based upon the fears of the dominant white culture. These fears translate into votes for strong anti-drug measures. Pure racism based on color is not the basic variable in this war on black people. Therefore, blaming racism and looking for solutions to racism using standard liberal pap and remedies will not work.

National policies of empire and war have caused these riots through a variety of paths and channels. The militarized economy is not a healthy economy. Guns can’t be eaten. They don’t provide shelter or warmth. Excessive auto and home loans sooner or later run smack into low incomes that cannot cover the payments. Higher minimum wages throw disadvantaged workers out of work. National policies that distribute military weapons and gear to cops while training them to look upon Americans as unruly enemies create a police state.

Policemen in ghettos find it easier to find minor infractions and beat up on poorer people unorganized to resist. Enforcement of the war on drugs is far more stringent against blacks than whites, and that is due not only to the relative lack of power and organization in the ghettos but also because this enforcement is what whites have wanted and what has been reflected in the politics and laws.

Here is what an undercover narc has said about the greater police repression of drugs in the black than the white population:

“It was only later that I realized that the reason they were sending me into that place was because it was a black club and they wanted the black clubs shut down.”

[interviewer] “So it was racially motivated?

“In most cases I don’t think it was. It’s just easier to bust those guys. You give me a squad of narcs and drug dogs, and we’ll go to some affluent white community. I can walk down the streets sniffing cars, do some knock-and-talks, and I assure you we’ll come across some marijuana parties. I guarantee I can come out of there with some drug arrests. But after the first day, after the mayor’s phone rings off the hook—that’s the end of that operation.”

In the same interview, this man explains how the war on drugs increased the violence in the communities and how this violence then caused many productive people to flee the neighborhoods. The drug trade that had been controlled by organizations that kept the peace altered when these organizations were attacked and dismantled. Gangs and turf wars proliferated. All of this has weakened the black communities, weakened their economies and weakened the job opportunities. The ground for rioting has been fertilized by the war on drugs.

:lmao: one non serious post = lecturing people. What are you so angry about anyway?
I promise you I'm not angry about anything. And if you look back you'll see my original reply wasn't actually to you, it was to tdoss (who I consider an iFriend) taking your post about Lewis and running with it and coming to some strained conclusions about the credibility of Lewis vs Obama and whatnot.
:lmao: the entire content of that post was saying how he should never listen to a white suburbanite who has nothing better to do than post here all day. At least own up to it.
Yup. And that he gave it credibility and ran with it, and I responded to it by saying I found it funny, not that I was outraged. Not sure what's got you so upset. Is it your culture that made you this way? I know a lot about your culture, so I think that's probably it.

Yup. And that he gave it credibility and ran with it, and I responded to it by saying I found it funny, not that I was outraged. Not sure what's got you so upset. Is it your culture that made you this way? I know a lot about your culture, so I think that's probably it.
You are on fire

I really hope all of the black people at the Kentucky Derby stay calm this weekend and don't start rioting. :fingerscrossed:

You are on fire
Thanks, I liked that one too.

Seriously, let's call a truce on this one and I'll look for more Michael Jackson dancing videos. And enough with indulging that silly thing were you equate my saying other people aren't experts in [subject] with me saying I am an expert in [subject]. You're smart enough to know that's ridiculous and not at all what I said.

Riots, Empire and the War on Drugs

Michael S. Rozeff

Riots in Baltimore in April, and it isnt even riot weather yet. Why?

The immediate cause is the brutal callousness of policemen in the American police state. Whatever has contributed to that police state mentality and activity provides the deeper reasons why the festering repression is breaking out into open hostilities and riot.

Pure racism based on skin color alone is not the direct cause of this rioting. Race is definitely involved but indirectly. Two important causes are at work. First, national policies of empire and war have afflicted poorer Americans more than the wealthier, and racial enclaves are poorer. Second, the war on drugs is a war on black people based upon the fears of the dominant white culture. These fears translate into votes for strong anti-drug measures. Pure racism based on color is not the basic variable in this war on black people. Therefore, blaming racism and looking for solutions to racism using standard liberal pap and remedies will not work.

National policies of empire and war have caused these riots through a variety of paths and channels. The militarized economy is not a healthy economy. Guns cant be eaten. They dont provide shelter or warmth. Excessive auto and home loans sooner or later run smack into low incomes that cannot cover the payments. Higher minimum wages throw disadvantaged workers out of work. National policies that distribute military weapons and gear to cops while training them to look upon Americans as unruly enemies create a police state.

Policemen in ghettos find it easier to find minor infractions and beat up on poorer people unorganized to resist. Enforcement of the war on drugs is far more stringent against blacks than whites, and that is due not only to the relative lack of power and organization in the ghettos but also because this enforcement is what whites have wanted and what has been reflected in the politics and laws.

Here is what an undercover narc has said about the greater police repression of drugs in the black than the white population:

It was only later that I realized that the reason they were sending me into that place was because it was a black club and they wanted the black clubs shut down.

[interviewer] So it was racially motivated?

In most cases I dont think it was. Its just easier to bust those guys. You give me a squad of narcs and drug dogs, and well go to some affluent white community. I can walk down the streets sniffing cars, do some knock-and-talks, and I assure you well come across some marijuana parties. I guarantee I can come out of there with some drug arrests. But after the first day, after the mayors phone rings off the hookthats the end of that operation.

In the same interview, this man explains how the war on drugs increased the violence in the communities and how this violence then caused many productive people to flee the neighborhoods. The drug trade that had been controlled by organizations that kept the peace altered when these organizations were attacked and dismantled. Gangs and turf wars proliferated. All of this has weakened the black communities, weakened their economies and weakened the job opportunities. The ground for rioting has been fertilized by the war on drugs.
Damn. Right on brother (wait, am I allowed to say that?)

You are on fire

Seriously, let's call a truce on this one and I'll look for more Michael Jackson dancing videos. And enough with indulging that silly thing were you equate my saying other people aren't experts in [subject] with me saying I am an expert in [subject]. You're smart enough to know that's ridiculous and not at all what I said.
Sure whatever. I think people are people and anyone should be able to comment about anything without prereqs.

You are on fire

Sure whatever. I think people are people and anyone should be able to comment about anything without prereqs.
Totally agree. And I should be able to call them out on their lack of insight regarding the subject. That's part of the deal. I said it was funny and kind of silly, I didn't say they should be banned from saying it.

If you Youtube "Baltimore Michael Jackson", there are a few videos from several years ago - looks like the same guy. If it is him, he is a marketing genius and just became a celebrity.

So nothing going on today? Aren't the police still on the hook for explaining how and why they arrested and killed this kid?

People like me?
Fun little search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3AFootballguys+%2Btimschochet+%2Bracist&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=site:Footballguys.com+timschochet+racist

People like me?
Fun little search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3AFootballguys+%2Btimschochet+%2Bracist&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=site:Footballguys.com+timschochet+racist
Holy s**t!

People like me?
Fun little search:https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3AFootballguys+%2Btimschochet+%2Bracist&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=site:Footballguys.com+timschochet+racist
itd be even more fun if you bothered to read through those quotes and see exactly how many times I actually called anyone s racist and how many times I defended people from charges of racism. I think you'll discover that the latter is much more prevalent than the former. But go ahead and look if you'd like.

People like me?
Fun little search:

"about 23,700 results"

John Bender said:
Hang 10 said:
fantasycurse42 said:
timschochet said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Hang 10 said:
Just heard a stat that 50% of black adult males are unemployed in Baltimore. :doh:
I need a link for a stat like this... This is almost unbelievable.
Why is it so unbelievable to you?The unemployment rate for all blacks in this country is around 17%, 10 points higher than for everyone else. The poverty rate in all of our inner cities approaches 40%.
Current unemployment is 5.5%... To say that black men in this city are 900% above the national average is something I would like proof on :shrug:
Heard it on Morning Joe this morning. Here's link to the segment.

on.msnbc.com/1EMz2TB

Guy says it around the 5:50 mark. He actually says OVER half are unemployed.
Maybe cherry picking/distorting the real data due to an axe to grind. I'd consider the source. I try to stay away from anything MSNBC or FoxNews for info like this. (Go ahead and flame me for being a CNN guy :)
I get what you're saying, but I'm cracking up envisioning will.i.am. giving you employment stats via futuristic hologram.

People like me?
Fun little search:https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3AFootballguys+%2Btimschochet+%2Bracist&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=site:Footballguys.com+timschochet+racist
itd be even more fun if you bothered to read through those quotes and see exactly how many times I actually called anyone s racist and how many times I defended people from charges of racism. I think you'll discover that the latter is much more prevalent than the former. But go ahead and look if you'd like.
Tim is right. Even the most blatantly racist posts won't make him call someone racist. Back to the subject, I think what a lot of residents are saying in the articles is interesting. They are saying that what this is really about is life without opportunity, not just the way police harass, beat up and kill blacks.

I just hope we don't get caught up demonizing the evil doers and learn nothing from this the way we did with 9/11

People like me?
Tim is right. Even the most blatantly racist posts won't make him call someone racist.Back to the subject, I think what a lot of residents are saying in the articles is interesting. They are saying that what this is really about is life without opportunity, not just the way police harass, beat up and kill blacks.

I just hope we don't get caught up demonizing the evil doers and learn nothing from this the way we did with 9/11
Hence my earlier post about the disappearance of middle class and lower class jobs. There are bigger issues at hand here. The VAST majority of the posts in this thread are misguided at best in terms of addressing root cause. I see a lot of posts parroting what the media is spouting but very few addressing root cause.

You are on fire

Totally agree. And I should be able to call them out on their lack of insight regarding the subject. That's part of the deal. I said it was funny and kind of silly, I didn't say they should be banned from saying it.
Maybe uppity middle class whitey you refer to does know more about who black culture should listen to (not black murderers). Black culture can certainly choose their own leaders and role models but that doesn't make it a good decision.

Maybe uppity middle class whitey you refer to does know more about who black culture should listen to (not black murderers). Black culture can certainly choose their own leaders and role models but that doesn't make it a good decision.
The comments I laughed at weren't people making declarations about what black people should do, it was declarations about what they do. Totally different thing. It's like the difference between me saying "I think Georgia Tech fans should embrace Brian Gregory" and me saying "Georgia Tech fans love Brian Gregory." Both are silly, but I could at least try to make an argument for the former, while I'd have no basis whatsoever for the latter.

Awful. The racial healing period has begun, obviously.

I've defended this guy up and down. He's really a divisive politico, but we should have known that.

He finally condemns the rioting and looting in Point #3 and blames the media for covering the burning instead of the peaceful protests.

What a maroon.

Hence my earlier post about the disappearance of middle class and lower class jobs. There are bigger issues at hand here. The VAST majority of the posts in this thread are misguided at best in terms of addressing root cause. I see a lot of posts parroting what the media is spouting but very few addressing root cause.
To be fair, this problem isn't going anywhere anytime soon... if ever. The black riots we're seeing are just the tip of an iceberg of economic divide that this country is barreling toward. It's not going to be pretty when it hits full-force either.

To be fair, this problem isn't going anywhere anytime soon... if ever. The black riots we're seeing are just the tip of an iceberg of economic divide that this country is barreling toward. It's not going to be pretty when it hits full-force either.
Agreed

Adding: My "Disaster prep" is as much for civil unrest and rioting as it is for disaster recovery. Flyover country doesn't have much to fear, but those of us living in cities with large indigent populations are likely going to experience this on a fairly grand scale in the coming decade or so.

He finally condemns the rioting and looting in Point #3 and blames the media for covering the burning instead of the peaceful protests.
If the media should stress the positive aspects of the protests over the negative aspects of the riots, then, to be consistent, shouldn't the media also stress the positive instances of policing over the negative instances of policing?

Of course, we know that this is not how the media works and never has. There's a reason why the saying "If it bleeds, it leads" exists in the media.

If the media should stress the positive aspects of the protests over the negative aspects of the riots, then, to be consistent, shouldn't the media also stress the positive instances of policing over the negative instances of policing?

Of course, we know that this is not how the media works and never has. There's a reason why the saying "If it bleeds, it leads" exists in the media.
What's funny is that he claimed that the media would show/was showing "one burning building on a loop" when any viewer last night saw live footage of some bizarre dude dancing and doing Jesus Christ poses in front of a wall of fire while another criminal drove a car over the fire several times, hoping to ignite it, at last successful, subsequently led away by the cheering crowd. And that was in one ten minute window of live television.

Yeah, that one burning building on a loop.

I honestly am surprised by how often people try to attribute negative societal outcomes to these amorphous concepts like 'decline of the family' or 'decline in morals'. Almost every negative societal outcome that we spend time discussing has strong correlations with poverty. Single parenthood, prison, early death, unemployment, lack of education, domestic violence, abortion. The list goes on.

Oh yeah, and among OECD nations, we are fourth worst in rate of poverty, with only Chile, Turkey and Israel worse. That's pathetic.
I think you've raised a very legitimate question - why are we so reluctant to focus on amorphous concepts like "breakdown of the family"? Let me ask you this - what is more amorphous and more difficult to quantify - whether a baby is born out of wedlock or whether racism exists? Yet we have no problem repeatedly attributing negative outcomes to the much more amorphous root cause of racism.The answer is that "decline of the family" as a root cause is not politically expedient. It doesn't lend itself to a solution that money or politics can easily solve. Part of what is going on with the breakdown of the family in the black community is cultural (yes, the dreaded "c" word). When Moynihan delved into some of these issues during his 1965 report he was labelled as a racist by the Left, and as a result his work was dismissed out of hand. Who wants to have an open, frank dialogue about the "ghetto culture" or the failings of the black matriarchal structure to allow black men the ability to act as authority figures? Yeah, try having that discussion these days.

Many people are now revisiting Moynihan's report with a new look on things. Maybe the answer really is as simple as bolstering the black family unit. Government can do some things to facilitate this. Incentivize people to remain in the home. Higher tax breaks for married couples. We've done a great job bolstering the single black Moms over the years. Look closely at Walter Scott's story. You want to get to true root cause on that one? How about him never ever being able to get out from under the huge, impossible child support burden that was placed on him? Instead of finding a way to keep Walter Scott at home with his baby momma and his children, society has been allocating ALL its resources the past 50 years on making it easier for his baby momma to live without him in their lives. Government and society can do some things to help remedy the situation, but let's not kid ourselves. The issue is still a cultural one, and much of the solution is going to have to come from non-traditional areas - and from within the black community.

Moynihan was on to something in 1965. As he said in a 2001 interview:

My view is we stumbled onto a major social change in the circumstances of post-modern society. It was not long ago in this past century that an anthropologist in London - a very famous man at the time, Malinowski - postulated what he called the first rule of Anthropology: That in all known societies, all male children have an acknowledged male parent. That's what we found out everywhere... And well, maybe it's not true anymore. Human societies change".

Last edited:
All?

I just posted how damned hypocritical it was in both cases and was promptly told to "shut it whitey!"

This really should be as obvious as the nose on your face. Because any time a white conservative dare question whether some of the blame for the kind of destitution and poverty and violence that we see might be, to some degree, self-induced, one is met with the predictable rejoinder that points out the fact that one is white and conservative, and therefore unqualified to comment on the subjective experience of black people, and hence unwelcome in the debate. It's the modern way to tell somebody to shut up, and it's been going on for 45 years. It really has the religiosity and predictability of a pissed-off nun at Catholic school.

Like Gary Coal Man said, it's a proxy.

Users who are viewing this thread