What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (2 Viewers)

"We need economic development"

Why? To have more economic development to burn down?
So a CVS on the corner and a liquor store down the street represent economic development to you?
Baltimore Burning: $16 Million Southern Baptist Church Center for Low-Income Seniors Burned to the Ground
That was terrible. Is your position that we as a society should do nothing for these people because if we do, they'll just destroy it? That seems to be what I'm hearing here from you, Rambling Wreck, and Dr. Oadi.
Not taking your stinky bait tonight. Call someone else out. There's more than two people posting here. Good luck

So a CVS on the corner and a liquor store down the street represent economic development to you?
Baltimore Burning: $16 Million Southern Baptist Church Center for Low-Income Seniors Burned to the Ground
That was terrible. Is your position that we as a society should do nothing for these people because if we do, they'll just destroy it? That seems to be what I'm hearing here from you, Rambling Wreck, and Dr. Oadi.
What do you mean "these people"?
I mean black people living in inner cities whose leaders are demanding greater economic development as part of the solution to their woes. Specifically, they are demanding that the state and federal government spend more money to subsidize companies who want to invest in the inner cities, or (Jack Kemp's old idea) to offer tax deductions or tax free zones for companies who build in the inner city and employ young blacks.

In addition, these leaders also demand a significant change to our drug laws, and a massive increase in spending for education in the inner cities. Finally, they want the police to be more representative of the community and for the police to stop all racial profiling and be educated to do so, and subject to justice when there are unlawful killings of young black men.

These are, I believe, all of the proposed solutions to our inner city issues that most of these leaders are demanding.

Not taking your stinky bait tonight. Call someone else out. There's more than two people posting here. Good luck
I'm sorry, that wasn't bait and I'm not fishing. Based on your comment, I was trying to get you to clarify your position. If you don't wish to do so, that's your call.

Geraldo about to get his.
I would laugh if they kicked his ###.
Stay classy.
You go into that environment and start getting in the face of those people and running your mouth you're going to get your ### kicked.
Stay classy
You're weird
I'm weird? You're the one rooting for a journalist to be subjected to harm while doing his job, then turning around and demeaning the people that would be the ones inflicting that harm
Demeaning who? Maybe you have reading comprehension problems too?

And I'm rooting for Geraldo to be subjected to harm? I said I would laugh. And I would because he is in the middle of a tense situation trying to stir things up. Yes, you're weird.
Because no one wants to laugh.

I'm sorry, that wasn't bait and I'm not fishing. Based on your comment, I was trying to get you to clarify your position. If you don't wish to do so, that's your call.
I wouldn't build anything in those neighborhoods and wait for it to be robbed and stuff. If someone else wants to then good for them. The people committing these crimes can come up with all the excuses in the world but stop breaking the law and stop the ridiculous violence.

I wouldn't build anything in those neighborhoods and wait for it to be robbed and stuff. If someone else wants to then good for them. The people committing these crimes can come up with all the excuses in the world but stop breaking the law and stop the ridiculous violence.
That's fine. I disagree with your position here, but it's a legitimate position and I wouldn't put you down for having it.

My own view is that we have to always keep in mind that the people who rob and burn are a small minority. As today's clean up effort demonstrated, most of the people who live in that community (and every community) are good people. I think it's unfair to treat them based on the worst among them. They need our help, and I think we should give it to them.

Hannity sure has a hard on for this "dangerous alliance" of the Nation of Islam, The Crips, The Bloods and the Black Guerilla Family. That's about the 8 time I've heard him talk about it.

You're reading an awfully lot into me providing a legitimate example of destroying development in response to your dismissive reply to Ramblin Wreck about the rioters not burning down economic developments.

Is your position that you like to pleasure young boys? That seems to be what I'm hearing from you
If you think I'm reading too much into your position, then you're welcome to clarify it. I didn't mean to do so, which is why I asked you to explain yourself. But it's up to you if you don't want to do so. If you choose to insult me as you have, that's up to you too.

cnn covering this like a sporting event. have play by play, sideline reporters.
Did you ever see the Jon Stewart where he shows CNN is covering an event (Boston Marathon Bombing IIRC) and the main reporter cuts to the on scene reporter, and they are like 20 feet apart? :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

That's fine. I disagree with your position here, but it's a legitimate position and I wouldn't put you down for having it.

My own view is that we have to always keep in mind that the people who rob and burn are a small minority. As today's clean up effort demonstrated, most of the people who live in that community (and every community) are good people. I think it's unfair to treat them based on the worst among them. They need our help, and I think we should give it to them.
And as a business owner I don't care. Even if it's just one person, if they continually burn/rob/loot my location, then I'm out. Either it's more than a few, at least enough for a critical mass, or there isn't enough will within the community to stop them. I run a business and I like to make money, but I also like it when I can employ people, help in that regard. But you can't do that if you can't keep the doors open. Business isn't there to provide a service regardless of the margins or circumstances. There has to be some demand in the community as well as a respect for your right to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate that argument too, Mark, and I can't really argue with it. Obviously it's not going to benefit anybody if too many people feel that way, though.

If I were in charge of a home security company (ADT), I'd be spending all my marketing money putting commercials into these cable news network feeds.

Hoods on tonight? I didn't get the memo.

And as a business owner I don't care. Even if it's just one person, if they continually burn/rob/loot my location, then I'm out. Either it's more than a few, at least enough for a critical mass, or there isn't enough will within the community to stop them. I run a business and I like to make money, but I also like it when I can employ people, help in that regard. But you can't do that if you can't keep the doors open. Business isn't there to provide a service regardless of the margins or circumstances. There has to be some demand in the community as well as a respect for your right to be there.
And the fact of the matter is the businesses that have insurance are probably going to take that money and move elsewhere with it. I would. That would be like manna from heaven and a great way to get out of a bad situation. Those that have no insurance or not enough are screwed.

Hoods on tonight? I didn't get the memo.
This wasn't me that wrote this. I disagree with RW but his argument is hardly racist.

And the fact of the matter is the businesses that have insurance are probably going to take that money and move elsewhere with it. I would. That would be like manna from heaven and a great way to get out of a bad situation. Those that have no insurance or not enough are screwed.
True. I know a lot of people have made light of the CVS and obviously by most of our standards that's not much. But if you believe what the Mayor said, they had to lobby hard to get CVS to build there. I don't think a lot of us live in a community with those kinds of issues. For what little it is, it did provide a pharmacy that was also open at night and even one of the better grocery options for that area. So after they convinced the company to set up there, this happens. I think from a PR standpoint they will be back. However, if you are a smaller operation and you aren't looking at it from a national PR perspective, you are right in that if you have insurance you take it and run and if you didn't have insurance you're just out of business.

I mean black people living in inner cities whose leaders are demanding greater economic development as part of the solution to their woes. Specifically, they are demanding that the state and federal government spend more money to subsidize companies who want to invest in the inner cities, or (Jack Kemp's old idea) to offer tax deductions or tax free zones for companies who build in the inner city and employ young blacks.

In addition, these leaders also demand a significant change to our drug laws, and a massive increase in spending for education in the inner cities. Finally, they want the police to be more representative of the community and for the police to stop all racial profiling and be educated to do so, and subject to justice when there are unlawful killings of young black men.

These are, I believe, all of the proposed solutions to our inner city issues that most of these leaders are demanding.
We need an America Works program!

Have we started the House of Cards reference jokes?

I mean Freddie the BBQ guy was on The Wire.

Yes? No?

Rock Newman (Gray's lawyer) just categorically denied that Gray had any prior back or neck problems. The story posted earlier tonight was bogus.

That's fine. I disagree with your position here, but it's a legitimate position and I wouldn't put you down for having it.My own view is that we have to always keep in mind that the people who rob and burn are a small minority. As today's clean up effort demonstrated, most of the people who live in that community (and every community) are good people. I think it's unfair to treat them based on the worst among them. They need our help, and I think we should give it to them.
most leases, it's up to the landlord whether or not to release the tenant after a fire. The tenant doesn't get to choose by themselves to leave. Of course these may be owner occupied buildings.

I mean black people living in inner cities whose leaders are demanding greater economic development as part of the solution to their woes. Specifically, they are demanding that the state and federal government spend more money to subsidize companies who want to invest in the inner cities, or (Jack Kemp's old idea) to offer tax deductions or tax free zones for companies who build in the inner city and employ young blacks.In addition, these leaders also demand a significant change to our drug laws, and a massive increase in spending for education in the inner cities. Finally, they want the police to be more representative of the community and for the police to stop all racial profiling and be educated to do so, and subject to justice when there are unlawful killings of young black men.

It's their city. They should get on it.

Chatter now on the scanner of enforcing the curfew. Cop sounded frustrated that he's seeing cars still on the road. Wants other cops to pull people over and enforce curfew.

I mean black people living in inner cities whose leaders are demanding greater economic development as part of the solution to their woes. Specifically, they are demanding that the state and federal government spend more money to subsidize companies who want to invest in the inner cities, or (Jack Kemp's old idea) to offer tax deductions or tax free zones for companies who build in the inner city and employ young blacks.In addition, these leaders also demand a significant change to our drug laws, and a massive increase in spending for education in the inner cities. Finally, they want the police to be more representative of the community and for the police to stop all racial profiling and be educated to do so, and subject to justice when there are unlawful killings of young black men.

They want state and federal tax money to help pay for everything. Especially federal; they want a national effort, a "Manhattan Project" to help the inner cities. Most black leaders have been demanding this for decades. A new Great Society, which in their viewpoint, was never adequately funded.

They want state and federal tax money to help pay for everything. Especially federal; they want a national effort, a "Manhattan Project" to help the inner cities. Most black leaders have been demanding this for decades. A new Great Society, which in their viewpoint, was never adequately funded.
Of course. Everybody wants more money.

It doesn't look like its coming though so maybe they could get started on the things they do have some control over, like the police force. That's really on them.

Users who are viewing this thread