What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GPP Diversification (1 Viewer)

smilerz

Footballguy
You've done all of your homework. You have a short list of 3-10 players that you are focusing on for each position. You know what the ownership percentages are going to be. You have hi-po stacks at QB/WR and RB/DEF to increase your variance. You have a short list of contrarian high risk/reward players.

Is there a good method for putting it all together? You can't play every combination and it doesn't help if you nail the hi-pos only to mix them with high risk players that don't pan out.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has a methodology for GPP beyond identifying targets and cross their fingers that they mix and match correctly.

Chris

I'm in the same boat and I refuse to put in a bunch of line-up variations for one GPP.

I think you gotta just put the line-up you feel most confident in. Also, don't get too cute with your uniqueness. I think there's a fine line between unique plays and DUDS. You just gotta hope you have the right combo of solid plays and unique plays that hit.

One of my favorite things to do is go with QB/WR or QB/TE stacks with a rushing quarterback. Example: Colin Kaepernick this week against Pittsburgh paired with Vernon Davis. Hyde took the majority of the touchdowns last week but that could easily flip if Kaep finds the end zone with his arm and maybe rolls out a few times and runs one in.

Overall, you have to take risks but those risks should be calculated enough where there's a decent possibility that they come to fruition. If you don't feel like they can, then you should probably avoid whatever it is you're thinking of doing.

I'm in the same boat and I refuse to put in a bunch of line-up variations for one GPP.

I think you gotta just put the line-up you feel most confident in. Also, don't get too cute with your uniqueness. I think there's a fine line between unique plays and DUDS. You just gotta hope you have the right combo of solid plays and unique plays that hit.
You might be missing out. My experience seems to point to multiple GPP entries leading to the highest ROI - by far. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but if your process of identifying prime matchups & inexpensive value plays is good, then its likely that many of your lineup variations would cash in a big GPP. I've come around to thinking that entering 1 GPP lineup is the equivalent of playing a lottery, but entering several lineups seems to reward skill & preparation over the masses. It's been my experience that cashing in a big GPP often requires a score that lies somewhere between a double up & a triple up without the upside limitation that those contests present.

Over the past two seasons, I've cashed in 58% of my 50/50s & double ups, 46% of my triple ups & 49% of my entries in the $25 entry GPP on fanduel. Considering that it isnt as hard to cash in a GPP as a triple up, I prefer to spend more time & money on the GPPs because of the superior upside. You can get pretty good variation of lineups with just 10 different lineups. It just takes one good week to put yourself way ahead.

As long as you dont act recklessly with your bankroll, you should be able to sustain a few down weeks. I wouldnt recommend putting all of your eggs in the GPP basket, but you shouldnt be afraid to explore a bit of diversification within the same GPP. It might work out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically have a primary QB, RB & WR that I play for at least 1/2 of my entries and then mix and match. I usually identify a couple QBs, 4 RBs a couple of stud WRs and then look for inexpensive value. Then I mix & match with a few different TEs, Ks & Ds.

Find the couple of players that you want to build around and make them part of your core lineup. For instance, last week I had Julio Jones in 15/18 lineups, Ivory in 12/18 & Tyrod Taylor in 10/18. That allowed me to get a fairly good sampling of lineups built around that core. If you try to include too many players in your core, you end up spinning in circles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The common opinion of experts seems to be: 1) start a stack, 2) add a couple more high-priced players who will reach their value, 3) fill the rest with a mix of value plays and cheap fliers.

#1 and #2 remain constant in all your GPP entries, and #3 should have no overlap or very little overlap between entries.

If your core of #1 and #2 hits, you may get multiple cashes. If your fliers hit and your core is just OK, you may hedge your losses by cashing with that lineup.

Depends on the week and how many guys I like at each position. But my general strategy is to come up a short list (and I do mean short) at RB, WR,TE. And then make a list of QB/WR (or TE) stacks that I like.

I'll figure out how many variations of each stack I want (sometimes I'll do a bunch of different ones with only 2-3 variations or other weeks I'll do less combos but more variations of them) and then just try to work my core guys in in a few different ways.

If you really want to keep it simple, just make 1 lineup and then change the D/TE/K around to make as many more lineups as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread