Good Posting Judge

2017 MLB Regular Season Thread! Tall Strikeout Machine Steals Ball From Entitled Man-Baby

5,617 posts in this topic

Some dude takes a shot at where the Top 15 FA's will go:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/9/19/9356737/2016-mlb-free-agent-signing-predictions

I think he's too high on Kazmir, just based on his age. Heyward-to-Detroit is interesting, probably wouldn't have happened with Dombrowski, but now who knows.

Given LA's money, I think they're going to get either Greinke, Price or Cueto, and probably aren't going to be locked in too hard on any one of them. Price might be slightly less attractive because their top two starters would be lefties, but he and Kershaw are obviously no slouches against right handed hitting.

I think Zobrist's realistic landing spots are LA, KC, CHC. I don't think KC can afford to lose Gordon, Cueto and Zobrist, get cheaper replacements, and then expect to not get overtaken in the Central.

I've heard Desmond-to-SD elsewhere too.

Edited by Good Posting Judge
1 person likes this

It's the Hot Stove thread BTW

It's the Hot Stove thread BTW

Stove isn't always hot between October and April. Seems misleading to me.

Theme Song: "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Closer"

Yeah, the closers look like they're almost going to be making as much in arb as they would in the open market. Or at least closer to what they would relative to everyone else. 13mm for Chapman! 6.5mm for Axford?!

On the other end of the spectrum are the defense-first guys like Jose Iglesias, projected at 1.5mm, or Forsythe at 3.3m, or Dyson at 1.7mm. Poor Kevin Kiermaier's going to be making peanuts when he's up.

Did you see Forsythe's stats?

Qualifying offer number this year is $15.8M

I don't think the Cubs take Zobrist - they don't need to pay that for someone who will basically be a backup utility guy. Where's he going to start? You've already got 3 SS on your roster - Russel, Castro and Baez. With Schwarber and Soler at the corner OF spots, I just don't see where they put Zobrist. Even if they trade Castro - Baez will play 2B.

Now Price or Greinke to the Cubs? Yes, please. :yes:

This is why the Cubs can't be good, people.

They probably have the best collection of young talent the league has seen since those 1990s Indian teams and we all know how many championships they won

1 person likes this

2016 Chicago Cubs: Too good for Ben Zobrist.

1 person likes this

They probably have the best collection of young talent the league has seen since those 1990s Indian teams and we all know how many championships they won

Kyle Schwarber looks like he can probably open a beer bottle with his eye socket

1 person likes this

He's 35

What he offers is position flexibility. Cubs only have two position players that don't have position flexability( Montero and Rizzo)

I'd rather they spend the money on pitching

Edited by Wrigley

Kyle Schwarber looks like he can probably open a beer bottle with his eye socket

Every time I see him on TV, I think its Joe Blanton.

He's 35

What he offers is position flexibility. Cubs only have two position players that don't have position flexability( Montero and Rizzo)

I don't disagree with that assessment, but I find it disingenuous to act like he wouldn't be an asset and a welcomed addition if management decided to go that direction on a short-term contract. He's a good player.

Edited by RnR

Some dude takes a shot at where the Top 15 FA's will go:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/9/19/9356737/2016-mlb-free-agent-signing-predictions

I think he's too high on Kazmir, just based on his age. Heyward-to-Detroit is interesting, probably wouldn't have happened with Dombrowski, but now who knows.

Given LA's money, I think they're going to get either Greinke, Price or Cueto, and probably aren't going to be locked in too hard on any one of them. Price might be slightly less attractive because their top two starters would be lefties, but he and Kershaw are obviously no slouches against right handed hitting.

I think Zobrist's realistic landing spots are LA, KC, CHC. I don't think KC can afford to lose Gordon, Cueto and Zobrist, get cheaper replacements, and then expect to not get overtaken in the Central.

I've heard Desmond-to-SD elsewhere too.

Alex Gordon to the Nats makes a lot of sense.

Ian Desmond turning down a sure QO to take 1/$10 million from a borderline contender in a pitcher's park, not so much.

He's 35

I don't disagree with that assessment, but I find it disingenuous to act like he wouldn't be an asset and a welcomed addition if management decided to go that direction on a short-term contract. He's a good player.

We agree that he's a good player.....just not at that price

Cubs main holes do seem to be sp depf and cf. The possibility of a Fat Kyle trade to the AL is pretty fascinating.

I really think they'll try to get by with Schwarber in LF. His bat looks to be that good.

He's 35

We agree that he's a good player.....just not at that price

Most free agents are paid too much.

Cubs main holes do seem to be sp depf and cf. The possibility of a Fat Kyle trade to the AL is pretty fascinating.

They have Almora and Alcantara that can play CF, two good options there going forward just not necessarily for 2016.

I think they have to try and at least play Schwarber some at catcher next year, that will give them plenty of flexibility. Bringing in a good platoon OFer makes some sense.

Why not keep Fowler? Seems like they should have available money for that + pitching.

Why not keep Fowler? Seems like they should have available money for that + pitching.

2016 Chicago Cubs: Also too good for Dexter Fowler

Rumors are that Bryant will cover cf next year

2 people like this

They have Almora and Alcantara that can play CF, two good options there going forward just not necessarily for 2016.

I think they have to try and at least play Schwarber some at catcher next year, that will give them plenty of flexibility. Bringing in a good platoon OFer makes some sense.

Coghlan seemed miffed that he didn't start the WC game, I am guessing he is out of there.

His defense is bleh, historically.

Think they'll make a real run at heyward, although stl are prob odds-on favorites.

May 2013 NL Player of the Month Domonic Brown released by the Phillies.

What a great 1/2 season and what a horrible rest of career since.

What a great 1/2 season and what a horrible rest of career since.

2016 Chicago Cubs: They really are too good for Domonic Brown

Stopped at:

RHP Zack Greinke: The soon to be NL Cy Young

Arrieta will get the NL Cy Young.

Toronto may have fewer holes outside of SP than any team in MLB: Their entire offense is back next year after Bautista and EE's very reasonable club options are picked up. Donaldson will get a lot in arbitration but still nowhere near what he'd make on the open market. Everyone in their pen is signed except Lowe and Hawkins, and they already claimed both Pat Venditte arms off waivers!

Flip side, their rotation needs a ton of help. Stroman's the only guy they probably have and feel good about atm. Dickey has an 12mm club option which is probably not a good idea. Hutchison's in arbitration years still, but not a guy you want to hang your hat on.

Yeah Toronto pitching holes are massive. Basically Stroman signed. Sanchez likely comes back to rotation and maybe you pencil in one of Estrada/Dickey coming back for 13-16ish a year?

There should be cash with increase in attendance, TV viewership and Buehrle/Romero off the books, but who knows with this ownership.

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.

Soler catching?