Good Posting Judge

Eephus defiles a Rick Reuschel Fathead on the reg

3,805 posts in this topic

Alex Gordon declines player option for 2016, becomes free agent.

Royals window is going to close pretty quick, here is the first piece.

He's about to enter his age-32 season, can't play CF, missed two months this summer, and grew up in Royals territory. I don't think the market for him is quite as deep as it seems. Who out there is going to give him $100MM?

He's about to enter his age-32 season, can't play CF, missed two months this summer, and grew up in Royals territory. I don't think the market for him is quite as deep as it seems. Who out there is going to give him $100MM?

He was more valuable to the Royals than he will be anywhere else, but he was absolutely valuable to them. Padres will probably throw their wallet at him, they love declining players of all kinds.

He was more valuable to the Royals than he will be anywhere else, but he was absolutely valuable to them. Padres will probably throw their wallet at him, they love declining players of all kinds.

First tough call of many for Moore and company. Gordon is a Midwestern guy who was the face of the franchise before he or the team was any good. Sabean would resign him for that reason alone.

The problem is much of Gordon's value comes from his glove which will probably decline before his bat does. When that happens, his bat alone won't justify the contract he's going to get. LF is one of the easiest positions to find above replacement level talent.

Their payroll is going to grow quickly as their core players hit arbitration and free agency. If the Royals can sign Zobrist for about the same AAV and a couple less years, that's what I would do in order to have more flexibility when the bill comes due on Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas. Gordon seems more expendable if the club and fanbase can handle severing the emotional ties. Maybe Gordon will give a hometown discount and everyone will be happy for awhile.

I think Zobrist is going to stay. Just a hunch. Multi-year deal can be offered, team should be good, KC is much more friendly to overt, devout Christians who homeschool their kids than most of the markets that can write bigger checks.

Fangraphs fan sourced estimates on the free agents.

The Zobrist talk reminded me of this, Cameron said he's the player he thinks the fans are lowest on, saying he'll get way more than 3/42.

A fourth year will take Zobrist through his age 38 season. I doubt anyone will be calling him underrated then.

Giants decline Byrd's 8mm option, and...Aoki's 5.5mm option? Even if the Giants had some secret deal with Gordon/Upton/Yoenis or whomever, 5.5mm is pretty reasonable for a fourth OF. Very odd. The link NV provided above has an Aoki contract crowd-sourced at 2/15.7, and 96% believed that SF would pick up his option.

Dumb.

:shrug:

Thought it closed after last year, but here we are.

Why? Everyone from last years team was coming back. They were the AL favorites in Vegas IIRC.

You go ahead and find me one site or book that had KC as a morning line favorite when spring training broke

Odds to Win 2015 World Series at Bovada as of March 28

Washington Nationals 6/1

Los Angeles Dodgers 17/2

Boston Red Sox 10/1

Seattle Mariners 12/1

St. Louis Cardinals 12/1

Los Angeles Angels 14/1

Chicago Cubs 16/1

Chicago White Sox 16/1

Detroit Tigers 16/1

San Diego Padres 18/1

San Francisco Giants 18/1

Cleveland Indians 20/1

Oakland Athletics 25/1

Pittsburgh Pirates 25/1

Toronto Blue Jays 25/1

Baltimore Orioles 33/1

Kansas City Royals 33/1

Miami Marlins 33/1

New York Mets 33/1

New York Yankees 33/1

Cincinnati Reds 50/1

Houston Astros 50/1

Milwaukee Brewers 50/1

Texas Rangers 50/1

Atlanta Braves 66/1

Tampa Bay Rays 66/1

Arizona Diamondbacks 100/1

Colorado Rockies 100/1

Minnesota Twins 100/1

Philadelphia Phillies 150/1

Rays, Rangers, and Astros seem like good buys.

I'll jump in my time machine and pick the Royals at 33/1

2 people like this

Giants decline Byrd's 8mm option, and...Aoki's 5.5mm option? Even if the Giants had some secret deal with Gordon/Upton/Yoenis or whomever, 5.5mm is pretty reasonable for a fourth OF. Very odd. The link NV provided above has an Aoki contract crowd-sourced at 2/15.7, and 96% believed that SF would pick up his option.

Dumb.

Byrd is no surprise since the Giants benched him in the last week so his option wouldn't automatically vest.

Aoki is a mild surprise because he was productive while in the lineup. He is a fun guy to watch with a very unique approach at the plate and in the OF :shock: When you subtract his buyout, his 2016 cost would be under $5M which isn't bad even for a fourth OF, especially when your #2 OF is Angel Pagan. Gregor Blanco brings a game that's similar to Aoki which might also factor into this decision.

Right now, I would take this as a vote of confidence in Jarrett Parker and/or Mac Williamson until the Giants go out and sign somebody else.

I miss watching Aoki play RF. Always fun to see a major leaguer break the wrong way on a ball twice and still make the catch.

1 person likes this

After further review... If that really is the market for Zobrist, he's gone. That's big-market luxury money. If Zobrist really will sign for $15-16MM AAV, may as well pay the $19-20MM to keep Gordon instead.

After further review... If that really is the market for Zobrist, he's gone. That's big-market luxury money. If Zobrist really will sign for $15-16MM AAV, may as well pay the $19-20MM to keep Gordon instead.

The Royals need to consider years as much as AAV. Zobrist will get three or four (probably three with a vesting option IMO), Gordon will get five. Any team signing Gordon will have better use for money in 2020 than paying a 36 year old LF.

Aramis Ramirez makes it official that he's retiring so he can dedicate more time to #### fighting

1 person likes this

Alex Gordon is gonna be 32? That surprises me for some reason, and makes me feel old too.

Alex Gordon is gonna be 32? That surprises me for some reason, and makes me feel old too.

Bobby Doerr is 97. Feel better now?

Rays, Rangers, and Astros seem like good buys.

I'll jump in my time machine and pick the Royals at 33/1

What year is it?

Thanks E, just did a somersault in excitement and threw out my back.

Yeah, but how does that make you feel?

Putting it all on the Phillies, with even worse odds than this past year. I've got a feeling.

It caught me a little by surprise, too. He was a college player who took a while to break out as a pro, so his arc started a couple years later than expected.

@TBTimes_Rays: BREAKING: #Rays trade Karns, Riefenhauser, prospect Powell to #Mariners for LoMo, Brad Miller, Farquhar

Doesn't lomo suck? Who are the other two?

The Dipoto era in Seattle begins with a six player low budget blockbuster.

Brad Miller, Logan Morrison and Danny Farquhar to Tampa for Nate Karns, Boog Powell and CJ Riefenhauser. Farquhar was terrible this year but has been a decent bullpen arm as recently as last year. Miller and Morrison are platoon guys but I still think Miller could be a useful IF/OF type like the Rays have used Zobrist and Sean Rodriguez in the past.

It seems like Tampa is selling high on Karns but if his improvement this year was legit, he would be the best player in the deal. Powell is a fun prospect because of his name but he seems like a 5th OF type. I got nothing on Riefenhauser.

ETA: funny that Miller gets reunited with his old playing time nemesis Nick Franklin. I'm also skeptical about Powell because two smart organizations who love cheap talent more than anything (TB & OAK) have bailed on him.

Edited by Eephus

Rotoworld has updated their depth chart and now have Brad Miller as their starting CF, moving super-glove Kevin Keirmaier to the bench. Rotoworld.com, ladies and gentleman!

1 person likes this

Rotoworld has updated their depth chart and now have Brad Miller as their starting CF, moving super-glove Kevin Keirmaier to the bench. Rotoworld.com, ladies and gentleman!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that place is operated by outsourced labor.

Royals pick up options on Wade Davis and Alcides Escobar.

Both were expected. Davis's transformation into unhittable reliever is every bit the logic-defying positive outcome it was on paper. It's a big check, but with Holland probably missing next season if not leaving the organization entirely, had to do it.

Escobar is an 8-9 hitter batting leadoff, but that's the sort of thing that happens when Yost is filling out the lineup card. There's a couple MI kids almost ready for the show, but Escobar is still relatively inexpensive and part of the core that brought about this turnaround.

ETA: Royals also declined Gomes's option. Resume your outrage over Gomes's performance at the World Series Victory Rally over in the World Series or Royals threads.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson

Cubs talking to Indians about Carrasco and Salazar. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence, but these teams make so much sense as trade partners, I wouldn't be surprised to see them work something out early so they can both move on to next steps.

I don't fully understand the Baker hiring. Isn't he pretty much what they just fired?

Matt Williams has managed his teams to 1600+ wins?

1 person likes this

Dusty Baker's mom helped arrest Charles Manson?

Cardinals give QOs to Heyward and Lackey.

No surprise on Heyward. He will be swimming in it before too long.

Mildly surprised on Lackey, but the season he just had was worth more than $15.8MM.

Cardinals give QOs to Heyward and Lackey.

No surprise on Heyward. He will be swimming in it before too long.

Mildly surprised on Lackey, but the season he just had was worth more than $15.8MM.

If you're Lackey, you're railroaded into accepting the QO, arent you?

Guy's 37. I can't see some one giving up a draft pick for him