What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cobb Fumble TD scoring question. (1 Viewer)

Bigdaddy1

Footballguy
How did other leagues handle this? I'm the commissioner of my league and was asked why it wasn't scored a TD.

In both CBS and ESPN leagues the TD didn't count for Cobb or the GB Defense. I thought maybe because it was a fumble Cobb turned into a "defensive" player.

I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks

With CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo, default scoring does not count a fumble recovery as a reception touchdown or a rushing touchdown. That's why Cobb is not getting credit for it.

Fwiw. Yahoo HAS scored Cobb with the 6. Don't know if that will change with stat corrections.

How did other leagues handle this? I'm the commissioner of my league and was asked why it wasn't scored a TD.

In both CBS and ESPN leagues the TD didn't count for Cobb or the GB Defense. I thought maybe because it was a fumble Cobb turned into a "defensive" player.

Thanks
It's happened already this season. How did you address it when Julio Jones did it?

Most sites have a setting for "Individual Fumble Recovery for a TD", if you haven't set up your league that way it doesn't count (but you probably should have).

Comes up 4 or 5 times a year...always amazed that any commissioner wouldn't have this already figured out. You should probably find someone more competent for the job.

(Not trying to be mean, but this is NOT a rare occurrence, and should be covered by your rules already.)

Offensive Fumble Recovery TDs in MFL, similar on other sites.

And this is *not* the first time this has happened this year and happens multiple times a season every year. I agree, still amazed that people don't have this straightened out by now. :)

We have it turned on in our league. But I'm surprised it's not on by default in all leagues. If a TD is scored it should count in fantasy somehow, whether for the individual player or for D/ST, whatever.

We have it turned on in our league. But I'm surprised it's not on by default in all leagues. If a TD is scored it should count in fantasy somehow, whether for the individual player or for D/ST, whatever.
I agree with the premise, but it can't count for the D/ST because it's still an offensive score since there was never a change of possession.

Yeah this is a no brainer customized scoring adjustment that should always be done. Dont get why this is an issue outside of free set scoring leagues. Maybe since I only play IDP leagues when setting up the customized scoring I'm making sure every box is "ticked" in regards to Individual Fumble TDs, etc. for both offense and defense.

NFL.com still hasn't added mine and yes I have miscellaneous offense: fumble recovered for TD checked off to add to scoring.

Exactly right. A TD is a TD, however it occurs.

Thanks
It's happened already this season. How did you address it when Julio Jones did it?

Most sites have a setting for "Individual Fumble Recovery for a TD", if you haven't set up your league that way it doesn't count (but you probably should have).
When did that happen? I don't own Julio. Any other times this season that you know of it happening? Thanks.

IFRTD in a CBS league. Your player scored a TD, how can some leagues not count that? It's always puzzled me.

Thanks

When did that happen? I don't own Julio. Any other times this season that you know of it happening? Thanks.
I don't remember exactly but it was earlier in the season (maybe week 4?) - I own Julio that's why I remember him specifically.

Thanks

week 5

Thanks

week 5
Thanks. Julio didn't get the points in our league, but it wouldn't have effected (affected) the outcome. Know of any other situations of this occurrence this season?

This_Guy said:
Futz said:
IFRTD in a CBS league. Your player scored a TD, how can some leagues not count that? It's always puzzled me.
How does your league handle punts and kickoffs returned for TD by a WR?
Any starting player scoring a TD of any sort or kicks a FG, they get credit for it. As they should.I'm anxiously awaiting a Roethlisberger kickoff return. Any minute now...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an offensive fumble recovery for Cobb.

Your league either scores them, or doesnt.

End of thread.

matttyl said:
The Gator said:
matttyl said:

Thanks

week 5
Thanks. Julio didn't get the points in our league, but it wouldn't have effected (affected) the outcome. Know of any other situations of this occurrence this season?
If you're on MFL look at the "Strange Plays" report where all this stuff is listed in detail. You can do a search and find any instance it's happened.

matttyl said:
The Gator said:
matttyl said:

Thanks

week 5
If you're on MFL look at the "Strange Plays" report where all this stuff is listed in detail. You can do a search and find any instance it's happened.
Thanks for this! apparently it's happened 3 times this year already, but didn't happen a single time last year or the year before.

I agree this should be a td for Cobb. I am a commish in my league and we use CBS. There isn't any way that I can see to make this be a td for Cobb. There is no box to check for Individual Fumble Recovery for TD. I don't recall the issue with Julio earlier in the year, so I guess we just didn't count it previoulsy. Curious if anyone on CBS has found a way to count it as a Cobb td? I don't want to manually adjust the score as it seems kind of shady.

I agree this should be a td for Cobb. I am a commish in my league and we use CBS. There isn't any way that I can see to make this be a td for Cobb. There is no box to check for Individual Fumble Recovery for TD. I don't recall the issue with Julio earlier in the year, so I guess we just didn't count it previoulsy. Curious if anyone on CBS has found a way to count it as a Cobb td? I don't want to manually adjust the score as it seems kind of shady.
I am commish in a cbs league as well. The Cobb owner wants to know why the site did not credit him a td. I imagine the default for cbs does not give tds to players who recover fumbles. Not sure I can make the change now

Commissioner Tools > Edit Scoring System (Scroll to bottom) > Additional Scoring Categories > Misc. Offense > Offensive Fumble Recovery TD

There is.

When you do figure out how to do it, as a fellow commish, I highly advise you NOT to change this midstream. This can only be addressed during the offseason or you are opening a big can of worms here.

When you do figure out how to do it, as a fellow commish, I highly advise you NOT to change this midstream. This can only be addressed during the offseason or you are opening a big can of worms here.
This actually depends on the way the bylaws are written.

True, but it would have to be either very specific to this situation or extremely broad to blanket all TD possibilities. I have a feeling this is a oops moment here. "this should be a td for Cobb" tells me the commish hasn't run into this situation before and the "should be" part is just his opinion. Believe me, even after 23 years of running my big money league, we still revise the constitution every year to cover unique situations.

ESPN hasn't yet credited the touchdown to anyone yet let alone Starks or Cobb.

True, but it would have to be either very specific to this situation or extremely broad to blanket all TD possibilities. I have a feeling this is a oops moment here. "this should be a td for Cobb" tells me the commish hasn't run into this situation before and the "should be" part is just his opinion. Believe me, even after 23 years of running my big money league, we still revise the constitution every year to cover unique situations.
No, not really. You either have a catch all rule that says something like all offensive TDs (or all TDs of any kind) count for the individual player or you have rules that say "rushing TD", "receiving TD", etc. And depending on the bylaws, you either score the TD last night or don't.

This is interesting; I thought we had this covered with the setting "Offensive Fumble Return TD" - in Week 5, Julio Jones got credit for an OFR TD. But as of tonight, Cobb doesn't have a TD.

Should be corrected later I presume. On the Falcons TD, Freeman fumbled around the 3, JJ recovered in the end zone - essentially the same as the Starks/Cobb play last night.

Comes up 4 or 5 times a year...always amazed that any commissioner wouldn't have this already figured out. You should probably find someone more competent for the job.

(Not trying to be mean, but this is NOT a rare occurrence, and should be covered by your rules already.)
As far as I know it's only happened twice this season across the NFL, so it is a fairly rare occurrence. It's really not that 'amazing' that a commissioner setting up a new league might have overlooked the FRT setting during setup, and certainly does not indicate incompetence.

No, not really. You either have a catch all rule that says something like all offensive TDs (or all TDs of any kind) count for the individual player or you have rules that say "rushing TD", "receiving TD", etc.And depending on the bylaws, you either score the TD last night or don't.
So yeah, basically what I said. :P

This is currently posted just above this week's matchups on Yahoo:

Are you curious why Randall Cobb was not credited with a TD for his fumble recovery in the endzone Thursday night vs. the Lions? Check out our fumble recovery in the endzone info. Also, since Cobb recovered the fumble of a teammate, no fumble recovery will be recorded in the Fantasy game.

i changed it midstream this year after Julio jones because that was the intention but wasn't set up right.There are times where an odd situation is not handled appropriately in the set up of the scoring and think it is appropriate to address at the time.

i changed it midstream this year after Julio jones because that was the intention but wasn't set up right.There are times where an odd situation is not handled appropriately in the set up of the scoring and think it is appropriate to address at the time.
I'm assuming those six points didn't affect the outcome of that particular game. That could cause a riot if it was switched midseason and did.

I'm assuming those six points didn't affect the outcome of that particular game. That could cause a riot if it was switched midseason and did.
Fantasy Football should be governed first and foremost by common sense. It should not be governed by the default settings of whatever league management service you happened to sign up for.

Fantasy Football should be governed first and foremost by common sense. It should not be governed by the default settings of whatever league management service you happened to sign up for.
I'd say the folks in charge of million dollar fantasy sites should be using common sense to set their defaults.

Are you curious why Randall Cobb was not credited with a TD for his fumble recovery in the endzone Thursday night vs. the Lions? Check out our fumble recovery in the endzone info. Also, since Cobb recovered the fumble of a teammate, no fumble recovery will be recorded in the Fantasy game.
Thanks. Couldn't find that on our landing page. I'm still a little confused why Cobb hasn't been credited for a TD yet. Should be as I have Offensive Fumble Return TD - 6 points checked, and Julio had a OFRT in Week 5. I am presuming it will be corrected later.

Thanks. Couldn't find that on our landing page. I'm still a little confused why Cobb hasn't been credited for a TD yet. Should be as I have Offensive Fumble Return TD - 6 points checked, and Julio had a OFRT in Week 5. I am presuming it will be corrected later.
maybe an offensive return for a touchdown and recovering a fumble in the end zone have separate settings. Not sure.

maybe an offensive return for a touchdown and recovering a fumble in the end zone have separate settings. Not sure.
Per the link you provided:

Defining an offensive fumble return touchdown

An offensive fumble return touchdown is scored any time an offensive player recovers a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown, or advances a recovered fumble for a touchdown, and is not the player who originally fumbled the ball.

In the Week 5 play involving the Falcons, Freeman was hit and fumbled into the end zone, where Julio Jones recovered it. He was credited with a TD. If you look at the scoring there is a separate column for Offensive Fumble Return TD, and Jones was credited with a 6 point TD.

In this week's scenario, it was essentially the same play. Starks fumbled, ball went into the end zone, Cobb recovered it.

As far as I know it's only happened twice this season across the NFL, so it is a fairly rare occurrence. It's really not that 'amazing' that a commissioner setting up a new league might have overlooked the FRT setting during setup, and certainly does not indicate incompetence.
Seriously? It happens 3, 4, 5 times EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Meaning...it's something that ANYONE who has played fantasy football for more than say, half a season, has seen or heard of before. It's something that ANY COMMISSIONER worthy of the name commissioner should already be aware of and ensure is covered one way or another in the league rules.

It is NOT a "rare occurance"

renesauz said:
Quasimoto said:

Seriously? It happens 3, 4, 5 times EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Meaning...it's something that ANYONE who has played fantasy football for more than say, half a season, has seen or heard of before. It's something that ANY COMMISSIONER worthy of the name commissioner should already be aware of and ensure is covered one way or another in the league rules.

It is NOT a "[fairly] rare occurance" [altered quote restored to original]
Seriously.

In the 177 games played so far this season it has happened twice. Pretty sure that fits the definition of rare. It certainly ain't the norm. This is probably going to blow your hair back, but most leagues are fairly casual, meaning their members have lives outside FF. They don't have their "bylaws" drafted by the law firm of Dweeb, Geek, & Nerd, so a few things may slip through the cracks upon initial setup. League rules and settings are typically perfected over the course of the inaugural season. Impugning the competence of an uncompensated league manager because of relatively minor oversights is unnecessary...Especially when the other league members could have caught the oversight had they simply paid attention and brought the problem to the commissioners attention prior to the beginning of the season.

renesauz said:
Quasimoto said:

It is NOT a "[fairly] rare occurance" [altered quote restored to original]
Seriously.

In the 177 games played so far this season it has happened twice. Pretty sure that fits the definition of rare. It certainly ain't the norm. This is probably going to blow your hair back, but most leagues are fairly casual, meaning their members have lives outside FF. They don't have their "bylaws" drafted by the law firm of Dweeb, Geek, & Nerd, so a few things may slip through the cracks upon initial setup. League rules and settings are typically perfected over the course of the inaugural season. Impugning the competence of an uncompensated league manager because of relatively minor oversights is unnecessary...Especially when the other league members could have caught the oversight had they simply paid attention and brought the problem to the commissioners attention prior to the beginning of the season.
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

The 1 point safety is rare. The drop kick is rare. This is not.

It happens several times yearly. Therefore anyone who has played FF for more than a year has seen or heard of this before. And anyone COMMISSIONING a league should have already covered it. It's not that hard.

renesauz said:
Quasimoto said:

Seriously? It happens 3, 4, 5 times EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Meaning...it's something that ANYONE who has played fantasy football for more than say, half a season, has seen or heard of before. It's something that ANY COMMISSIONER worthy of the name commissioner should already be aware of and ensure is covered one way or another in the league rules.It is NOT a "[fairly] rare occurance" [altered quote restored to original]
Seriously.In the 177 games played so far this season it has happened twice. Pretty sure that fits the definition of rare. It certainly ain't the norm. This is probably going to blow your hair back, but most leagues are fairly casual, meaning their members have lives outside FF. They don't have their "bylaws" drafted by the law firm of Dweeb, Geek, & Nerd, so a few things may slip through the cracks upon initial setup. League rules and settings are typically perfected over the course of the inaugural season. Impugning the competence of an uncompensated league manager because of relatively minor oversights is unnecessary...Especially when the other league members could have caught the oversight had they simply paid attention and brought the problem to the commissioners attention prior to the beginning of the season.
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:The 1 point safety is rare. The drop kick is rare. This is not.

It happens several times yearly. Therefore anyone who has played FF for more than a year has seen or heard of this before. And anyone COMMISSIONING a league should have already covered it. It's not that hard.
Clearly, a lot of commissioners have been caught off guard with this before. If you've paid any attention to the Julio play or the Gore, Garcon plays a few years back, among others, this is not new news. Commissioners, even seasoned 20+ year vets let things like this slip, which you would know if you weren't so caught up in your self-absorbed jerk shtick. This play is an uncommon occurrence and will continue to catch folks off-guard. But, in the future, I anticipate you'll be first in line to wag a disapproving finger out all the unworthy commissioners when it happens again. Just be sure to clean up your mom's basement when you're finished ranting about.

Users who are viewing this thread