What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who would you prefer, RG3 or Manziel? (1 Viewer)

Preference?

• Johnny Manziel

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 153 88.4%

• Total voters

JuniorNB

Footballguy
If you knew that your team was going to sign one of these guys as a backup QB on your favorite team, which would you prefer and why? Johnny Football or RG3? I was goi9ng to add a 'neither' option, but that would have gotten 95% of the votes and wouldn't have been fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manziel. I think we have already seen the ceiling of RGIII and I do not think he ever gets back to his 2012 form, regardless of where he goes.

Manziel

He's fun to watch even during most of the bad games. That little bugger would be way more entertaining than some of the stiffs that enter the game and assure me their team is going to lose and/or make me want to take a nap.

I think he's got the right mentality for it too. Put him in down 35-14 with 6 minutes left and I bet he tries to win and doesn't just come in there to run thru the paces.

He could be a spark plug off the bench.

I suspect Griffin is now ready to learn. The importance of that cannot be overstated. Manziel, well that kid knows everything. You can't teach someone who knows everything.

Griffin. I think he at least understands what he needs to do to be a professional.
That.

We don't know if Manziel will ever really "get it" as far as the mindset needed to succeed at the NFL level.
Agreed, RG3 needs to prove he can stay healthy, but JFF needs to prove he can follow basic instructions, maintain discipline, respect the chain of command, and be trustworthy.

The latter issues require a lot more work and patience, and the payoff might not even be worth it. At least RG3 performed at a high level before his coaches seemingly ruined him physically, so it's primarily a bet on whether the damage was permanent or just temporary, and whether he can regain his confidence if given a second chance with a more responsible and humane set of coaches. JFF looks like a trainwreck stuck in a "Groundhog Day" style loop.

I suspect Griffin is now ready to learn. The importance of that cannot be overstated. Manziel, well that kid knows everything. You can't teach someone who knows everything.
:goodposting:

I think Griffin has been humbled a bit by his experiences. Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Manziel is anywhere near this level of maturity yet.

:goodposting:

I think Griffin has been humbled a bit by his experiences. Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Manziel is anywhere near this level of maturity yet.
I agree. I think it's a balance between which is more of a gamble, Griffin's durability or Manziel's maturity.

I think Manziel is a hell of a fun player to watch, but there's no way I'd want that sideshow right now if I'm an NFL GM. Give RG III a backup contract and see if he can earn a spot.

Hate to sound cynical as I like RGIII, but I think he's never going to be the same again. Whether that's a physical limitation or mental, I don't know. Just a feeling.

JFF, on the other hand, has yet to achieve but I don't think he's past the point of no return. Not to draw a tired comparison, but this was Favre in an era before phone cameras and social media. Just because he's a knucklehead at 23, it doesn't mean he'll always be one.

RGIII could be a competent back-up if he's truly matured and his ego allows it.

JFF...we don't know. He could be a franchise QB.

When it comes to "could", I'll take the could with the most upside.

Griffin

Want nothing to do with Manziel off the field circus. And if he continues same path, he'll be out of the league before you can say Tim Tebow. Hasn't shown enough on the field to be worth the headache. Physical tools Griffin blows Johnny away but has shown nothing beyond a one read and go QB. if he doesn't get beyond that, he'll have to be content with backup QB status at best. If he can't accept that, he won't last long either.

Manziel would be wise to have a nice long talk with David Carr (among others). Lay low, shut up, learn the system, and hold the clipboard for a decade+ for one of the easiest jobs in the sport.

RG3 Part 2.

The talent is there. I think there was just too much drama in WAS and he was immature in handling everything. Time to grow up and here's hoping he has learned to be a professional.

As my qb is Mariota, I'll take the guy who is less likely to be a distraction over the duration of his contact.

Shouldn't really even be a question. One has had success in the NFL, one has not. One has hit rock bottom, seemingly been humbled and never made a peep all season after losing his job. The other keeps finding a new bottom to hit and hasn't seemed to learn anything from his mistakes. Both might never amount to anything in the NFL, but I'd take my chances with RG3.

Niners fan here, but I think Johnny on the bench behind Romo for a few years would be great for his growth and finding himself.

Interesting. Since your team is definitely in the market for a quarterback, I was curious as to what you would say. Any reason?
Steady would take anyone over Griffin.
:goodposting: It's not personal. I don't even think he means to be a bad guy but is just socially enept and subconsciously narssasistic. Completely clueless and unaware of it.

Even if he were to have an epiphany, I simply don't like his game. Beyond his inability to decipher defenses, lack of pocket presence, fragile frame and injury history I am fundamentally and philosophically opposed to sending the most important person to my entire franchise's success and interests scampering down the field and into the linebackers and safeties domain. The only "running QB" I've ever liked or thought he could run a true wishbone/read option full time at the NFL is Cam. I don't like it not think it's necessary but he's the only guy who could do it for a few seasons before falling apart.

If I'm a GM, it's a no-brainer. Don't want the Manziel circus.

As a fan, it's a closer call than this long-time RG3 fan would like to admit. That off-field stuff wouldn't bother me as much, and as others have said, Manziel has a much higher ceiling. I really hope RG3 can turn his career around, and I'll be happy for him if he does, but I'm not particularly confident that he can. I fear we're looking at late-career Michael Vick, which is really depressing in a 25-year-old.

With Manziel, not sure if it's immaturity or if he has a real problem with alcoholism, but I suspect if he reins it in (a big if, mind you) he could still salvage his career.

I think it's next to impossible, but I thought of something tonight that I've never thought of before...

The revenge factor. If by a miracle RGIII could somehow be a changed man and and completely reinvent his entire persona and game.... Nothing would be sweeter then watching the former enemy hurt the Skins. I mean I can't think of anything worse other then if Aikman or Emmitt donned the maroon and mustard!

So I think it's next to impossible but I'd take a flier on the bum just for the chance to stick it to the Skins.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Manziel. I think he has a better chance of getting his head on straight than Griffin.

Griffin, at least it's known that he can play if he cooperates. Johhny, he's a crack head and jury is still out on his skills.

I think I would rather have a random guy on the street over Manziel as my backup QB. At least with random guy, you'll most likely get someone who is willing to learn and put in some effort. With Manziel, you have a crappy QB who is not even motivated to play.

RGIII spent time saying goodbye to the field staff. Classy move that he didn't need to do, and wasn't done for the cameras. That's the guy I'd rather have on my team.

I chose RG3 but I think it's interesting how many people are implying that by remaining invisible all year, RG3 has somehow demonstrated that he's mature and coachable and humble.

Maybe he is - or maybe he just realized that his tenure in Washington was un-salvageable and has conducted himself accordingly.

If I had chosen Manziel it would be due to the lack of a major injury on his resume...

Without his speed Griffin is a marginal back up type. We don't know how good Manziel is.

Then again if Manziel is going to be club hopping in your city he might never show his true potential.

Without his speed Griffin is a marginal back up type. We don't know how good Manziel is.

Then again if Manziel is going to be club hopping in your city he might never show his true potential.
Without his speed, RG3 is kind of like Manziel, except taller, with a better arm, and no substance abuse problem. And probably still faster.

Interesting. Since your team is definitely in the market for a quarterback, I was curious as to what you would say. Any reason?
Steady would take anyone over Griffin.
:goodposting: It's not personal. I don't even think he means to be a bad guy but is just socially enept and subconsciously narssasistic. Completely clueless and unaware of it.

Even if he were to have an epiphany, I simply don't like his game. Beyond his inability to decipher defenses, lack of pocket presence, fragile frame and injury history I am fundamentally and philosophically opposed to sending the most important person to my entire franchise's success and interests scampering down the field and into the linebackers and safeties domain. The only "running QB" I've ever liked or thought he could run a true wishbone/read option full time at the NFL is Cam. I don't like it not think it's necessary but he's the only guy who could do it for a few seasons before falling apart.
I understand this but think it is a little of base. There have been quite a few running QBs who have had success as runners early and reinvented themselves (or not) as pocket passers with elusiveness later in their careers (McNair, Randall, McNabb, Tarkenton some guy named Young to name the best of the bunch).

Also I don't see how your concerns about Griffin don't apply to Manziel. Johnny has a slight frame (6'0", 202lbs to 6'2", 220lbs for RGIII), questionable pocket presence and has not demonstrated the ability to decipher defenses. I guess he doesn't have the injury history yet but he also hasn't played nearly the number of snaps in his career (college or pro) that Griffin has. Manziel has 1,512 combined passes and rushes in his college/pro career, Griffin has 3,027.

RGIII comes with less off field baggage and has demonstrated more on field ability. The locker room issue is a concern but it seems like he played the good soldier all year, even when Cousins was throwing picks at a record pace through the first six weeks of the season, so I think it's possible that RGIII has learned how to be a team player. While I would not give up on him this easily I am not confident that Manziel has learned anything yet.

RGIII in a landslide.

I've seen both play quite a bit. Seems like Manziel looked downfield while running and RGIII just threw or ran....mostly ran. So yeah if we're taking one or the other it's close but I had to pick one. You guys can certainly pick your own bench warmer.

I've seen both play quite a bit. Seems like Manziel looked downfield while running and RGIII just threw or ran....mostly ran. So yeah if we're taking one or the other it's close but I had to pick one. You guys can certainly pick your own bench warmer.
Career yards per attempt:

RGIII - 7.6

Manziel - 6.5

Users who are viewing this thread