What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Houston Texans Thread (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
INNNDNNNNNNDNN8DNNNZ
DDNDNNNNDNNDNDDN
DDDDDDDDDNDDNDD
DDDDNDDNNNNNNND
DDDNNDDNDDDNNNNNN Z
7NDNNNNNNDDDNNDNNNN ZZO?
NNNDNNDDNNDNNNNNNNNNN ZZOOO
INDNNNNDNNDNNNDDDNNDNNNN ,ZZZOZO
DNDDDNNNDNNDDDNDDNNNDNDDDN ZOZOZZZZ?
DNNNDDNDNDDDNDNNDNNNNDNDNDNNN ZOZOZZZZZOZ
IDDNNDNNDNDNNDDNNNDNDNDNDNNNDDDNN ?OOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZO
ZNDDNDNNNNDNDDDNNDDNDNDDNNNNNNDNN ZZZOZZOZZZZOOZZOOZZZZOZZ
~MDNDNNDDNDNNNDDNNNNDNNDDNDDNNDND ZZZZZZOOZZZZOZZOZOOZZOZ
MDNNDNDDNDDND:DDDNDDN8 DDNNNNNNNNNNN OOOOOZOOZZZZZZOZZZZZZ
$NDDDNNDNDDDNNNNN+ D :NNNNNNNNNDNN ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOO
7DDDNNDNNNNNNDND+ MNNNNDNDDDDN ZZOOOOOZZZOOO,
DDDNDNDDNNDNN +DDDDNN OOZZZZZZ?
DDDNNNNDNN ~8MM NNNNDNDDNN :ZZZZZZZ,
NNNNNNNDDNNDDNNM, DNDDNNNNN OZZZOOZ
DNNNNNDDNNNDNDNDDDDDDDNDD ~ZZZZZOI
DNNDNDNNNNNNNNNNNDNDNDM OOOZZZ$
:NDDDDNDNNDDNNDDNDNNN= ZOZO$,
NNDNNNNNNNNNNDDNNNN OZZZZ
+DNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD8 OZZZ:
ONDDDNDNNDNNNDNDD8 OZOO,
ZDDDNNNNDDNNNNNNNN ZZZZZ
,NNDNDDNDDD ZOO
MDN 8

2015 Houston Texans

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Start of the offseason program: April 20
  • OTAs: May 27-29, June 2-4, June 9-12
  • Mandatory minicamp: June 16-18
The dates of the Texans rookie minicamp haven't yet been officially announced, but it will happen following the draft.

HOUSTON TEXANS 2015 SCHEDULE

PRESEASON

Day Date Opponent Network Kickoff Time

Saturday Aug. 15 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS KTRK 7:00 p.m.

Saturday Aug. 22 DENVER BRONCOS KTRK 7:00 p.m.

Sunday Aug. 30 at New Orleans Saints FOX 3:00 p.m.

Thursday ept. 3 at Dallas Cowboys KTRK 7:00 p.m.

REGULAR SEASON

Day Date Opponent Network Kickoff Time

Sunday Sept. 13 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS CBS Noon

Sunday Sept. 20 at Carolina Panthers CBS Noon

Sunday Sept. 27 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS FOX Noon

Sunday Oct. 4 at Atlanta Falcons CBS Noon

Thursday Oct. 8 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS CBS/NFLN 7:25 p.m.

Sunday Oct. 18 at Jacksonville Jaguars CBS Noon

Sunday Oct. 25 at Miami Dolphins CBS Noon

Sunday Nov. 1 TENNESSEE TITANS CBS Noon

Sunday Nov. 8 BYE

Monday Nov. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals ESPN 7:30 p.m.

Sunday Nov. 22 NEW YORK JETS CBS Noon

Sunday Nov. 29 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS FOX Noon

Sunday Dec. 6 at Buffalo Bills CBS Noon

Sunday Dec. 13 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CBS Noon

Sunday Dec. 20 at Indianapolis Colts CBS Noon

Sunday Dec. 27 at Tennessee Titans CBS Noon

Sunday Jan. 3 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS Noon

Offseason Info

Texans 2015 Free Agents
(years/total salary/guaranteed salary)

Player Pos Age 2014 Cap Status
Kareem Jackson CB 26 $4,335,000 UFA - re-signed 4yr/$34m w/$20m
Brooks Reed OLB 27 $1,496,015 UFA - signed with Falcons
Derek Newton RT 27 $1,446,064 UFA - re-signed 5yr/$26.5m w/$10m
Tim Jamison DE 28 $840,000 UFA
Ryan Mallett QB 26 $776,976 UFA - re-signed 2 yr/$7m/$1.75m
Akeem Dent ILB 27 $725,000 UFA - re-signed 2 yr/$4.5m/$2m
Jeff Tarpinian OLB 27 $645,000 RFA - re-signed, no details yet
Jerrell Powe DT 27 $645,000 UFA
Kendrick Lewis S 28 $635,000 UFA - signed with Ravens
Cody White C 26 $570,000 RFA
Danieal Manning S 32 $570,000 UFA
Damaris Johnson WR 25 $570,000 RFA - re-signed 1yr/$1m
Eddie Pleasant S 26 $495,000 ERFA
Ryan Pickett DT 35 $469,412 UFA
John Simon OLB 24 $349,411 ERFA
Case Keenum QB 26 $58,235 UFA
Mario Louis WR 26 - RFA

Free agents signed from other teams (not all count against compensatory picks)

Bryan Hoyer QB - 2 yr / $10.5m / $4.75m
Rahim Moore FS - 3 yr / $12m

Vince Wilfork DT - 2 yr / $9m / $5m

Cecil Shorts WR - 2 yr / $6m / $2.5m
Nate Washington WR - 1 yr / $1m / $30k

Chris Polk RB - 1 yr / ????

2015 Draft Picks

Pick Overall
1.16 16
2.19 51
3.18 82
4.17 116
5.16 162
5.39 175 (compensatory)
6.19 195
6.36 212 (compensatory)
6.40 216 (compensatory)
7.18 235

Offseason Info

Texans 2015 Free Agents

Player Pos Age From To 2014 Cap Status

Kareem Jackson CB 26 HOU TBD $4,335,000 UFA

Brooks Reed OLB 27 HOU TBD $1,496,015 UFA

Derek Newton RT 27 HOU TBD $1,446,064 UFA

Tim Jamison DE 28 HOU TBD $840,000 UFA

Ryan Mallett QB 26 HOU TBD $776,976 UFA

Akeem Dent ILB 27 HOU TBD $725,000 UFA

Jeff Tarpinian OLB 27 HOU TBD $645,000 RFA

Jerrell Powe DT 27 HOU TBD $645,000 UFA

Kendrick Lewis S 28 HOU TBD $635,000 UFA

Cody White C 26 HOU TBD $570,000 RFA

Danieal Manning S 32 HOU TBD $570,000 UFA

Damaris Johnson WR 25 HOU TBD $570,000 RFA

Eddie Pleasant S 26 HOU TBD $495,000 ERFA

Ryan Pickett DT 35 HOU TBD $469,412 UFA

John Simon OLB 24 HOU TBD $349,411 ERFA

Case Keenum QB 26 HOU TBD $58,235 UFA

Mario Louis WR 26 HOU TBD - RFA

2015 Draft Picks

This does not include potential compensatory picks.

Pick Overall

1.16 16

2.19 51

3.18 82

4.17 *

5.16 *

6.19 *

7.18 *

* overall position will depend on how many compensatory picks fall ahead of it
Try to resign Kareem to a good but not great contract, sign Mallett to an incentive laden two year deal, resign Newton, Tarpinian, Lewis, Pickett, and Manning.

Try to get Joseph and Johnson to take pay cuts. Sign a legit slot receiver, draft DEFENSE.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12348277/houston-texans-want-bring-back-qb-ryan-mallett?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Texans want QB Ryan Mallett back
INDIANAPOLIS -- Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith and head coach Bill O'Brien want quarterback Ryan Mallett back in Houston next season, both men said Thursday during the NFL scouting combine.

Mallett, whom the Texans acquired through a preseason trade with the New England Patriots, will become a free agent on March 10, barring a deal with the Texans before that date.

"I think if you look at our offense, I think it's important for us to bolster the quarterback position," O'Brien said. "To me, one of the ways to do that is to get Ryan Mallett back here."

Offered Smith: "We're hopeful that we'll get him back and have another opportunity to continue to help us."

Mallett came to the Texans after training camp on Aug. 31. He replaced Case Keenum, who was then released, and backed up Ryan Fitzpatrick for the first nine games of the season.

Not surprisingly, sounds like there isn't much of a market to trade for Andre Johnson with his contract that's in place. His agent has asked the team to go ahead and release him.

HOUSTON -- Andre Johnson's agent Kennard McGuire said Wednesday morning that he has asked the Houston Texans to release his client from his contract.

On Monday, the Texans gave Johnson and McGuire permission to seek a trade after the veteran receiver had been told that his role would diminish. "He looks forward to challenging for a Super Bowl," McGuire said at the time.

Johnson's contract, however, would have made it difficult to be traded as he is owed $11.5 million in 2015 and $12 million in 2016, including a $1 million roster bonus in both seasons.

Damn, I really wanted him to finish his career in Houston and I was hoping we'd be good enough to be a contender this year so he'd be happy enough to stay. Guess he doesn't see it that way. I'll be excited to see what he can do in another system. Good luck to him.

It sounded like the tipping point was the team telling him that he'd have a reduced role this year.

I didn't hear about that. Surprising since I think he's still the best WR on the team. I don't think Hopkins will do as well when he's the focus of the defense. Although, I doubt he ever sees quite as much attention as AJ did.

FF Ninja said:
I didn't hear about that. Surprising since I think he's still the best WR on the team. I don't think Hopkins will do as well when he's the focus of the defense. Although, I doubt he ever sees quite as much attention as AJ did.
"It's business," Johnson told the Houston Chronicle. "I understand that side of it. I'm not angry about it. I knew at some point in time, this day would come. If we were living in a perfect world, you know I'd want to finish my career here, but, unfortunately, that's not what's going to happen. You just have to move forward. ...

"I don't know how you tell a guy who catches 85 balls that he'll only probably catch 40. I feel like the role they were trying to put me in I'd be held back from maximizing my talents. I feel like that was the best thing for both sides. Why sit there and be miserable when I can go somewhere else and be able to show my talents."

Sad to see Myers go. Makes me stop and look back at how much talent this team had a few years ago but weren't able to pull it all together. Won't surprise me if this is Foster's last season, and Cushing's too unless he returns to his old form.

Out with the old I guess. Letting Johnson and Myers go was the right decision, but man it hurts, especially about Dre.

I doubt we sign Kareem Jackson. I feel he's going to get a huge offer. Hopefully we can snag Trae Waynes (sp)

I'm assuming Mallet is coming back but you never know.

WR and OL just shot up the draft-needs list. Ben Jones better put up or shut up because it seems like he's our new starting center. Sua-Filo better show something in his 2nd season as well. He looked like a mistake pick last year.

Yep, a lot of important old timers going, creating some new large holes on the roster. At least we are freeing up cap space, lord knows we will need it to sign some guys since our last few draft classes are barely contributing anything.

Wondering if they are targeting someone specifically in FA. Surely they must be thinking of signing or drafting a big name WR if they are telling Andre he was only gonna catch 40 balls this year.

Radio said, per TMZ, that Swearinger is involved in what sounds a minor police investigation. He got his truck tricked out and went to pick it up and there was a disagreement over the $20k bill. He left with the truck without paying. Not even sure why the police are involved. Would have thought they would go to court or repo it. But I don't have any experience there.

Out with the old I guess. Letting Johnson and Myers go was the right decision, but man it hurts, especially about Dre.

I doubt we sign Kareem Jackson. I feel he's going to get a huge offer. Hopefully we can snag Trae Waynes (sp)

WR and OL just shot up the draft-needs list. Ben Jones better put up or shut up because it seems like he's our new starting center. Sua-Filo better show something in his 2nd season as well. He looked like a mistake pick last year.
I hope not. I don't have a lot of interest in a CB with a faster 40 time than shuttle.

DaQuan Bowers played DE and DT in Tampa. He'd mostly likely be a 5 tech opposite of JJ Watt in Houston, if signed.

Bowers was most people's #1 player coming out of college until an injury set him back (sound familiar) . Slid to 2nd round of the draft.

Like Jadeveon Clowney, Bowers played high school ball in SC and was the nation's #1 recruit at DE. 1/2 of the Bamberg Bookends w/ Ricky Sapp

Texans showing lots of interest in UFA DE DaQuan Bowers. Miami also has reached out. Tampa wants him to stay.

I hope not. I don't have a lot of interest in a CB with a faster 40 time than shuttle.
So you're smelling bust? Or just not worth the 16th pick? Let me hear your thoughts, I'm not that familiar with the college prospects. Who should we target? I'm thinking White and Cooper won't be there for us.

ESPN talk about the Texans interest in both Hoyer and Mallett:

For the Texans, there's been buzz about Brian Hoyer. NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reported today that he gets the sense Hoyer is the Texans' target. Earlier in the week his colleague, Ian Rapoport, reported Hoyer's strongest market would include the Texans and the Jets.

I've spent the morning talking to as many people as possible about this situation and what I've gathered from those conversations is that the Texans are interested in Hoyer. They are also interested in Ryan Mallett, who they acquired in a trade last August, returning next year. Even with the Hoyer news picking up steam, I've consistently heard the Texans are still interested in Mallett.

What would make sense is that they're interested in signing both. In that case, the Texans could take Hoyer, Mallett, Case Keenum and Tom Savage into training camp. That would mean releasing Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has one year left on his contract but was benched in favor of Mallett last season.

That scenario would be tricky to accomplish, especially with a relatively thin quarterback group and plenty of teams who need one.

So you're smelling bust? Or just not worth the 16th pick? Let me hear your thoughts, I'm not that familiar with the college prospects. Who should we target? I'm thinking White and Cooper won't be there for us.
I am not a fan of CB's with more straight line speed than quicks. I just see him more as a bust pick than anything.

As far as who I want the Texans to take, I need to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

http://hou.scout.com/story/1525048-texans-free-agent-rumors-part-four?s=116

rumors...primarily that the texans want both Mallet and Hoyer
Nice to hear this part:

the New Orleans Saints were also in on the Kareem Jackson sweepstakes, and he apparently left more money on the table to come back to Houston. The Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets were also in the bidding for Jackson. Jackson has been clear he wanted to return to Houston the entire time and he kept his word.

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26 · 4m 4 minutes ago

NFL sources confirm Ryan Mallett has agreed to a contract with the Texans. It's a 2-year deal.
Quote:
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli · 4m 4 minutes ago

Ryan Mallett's deal with the #Texans is a 2 year deal worth $7 million. Expecting Hoyer's to be bigger.
0 replies 30 retweets 9 favorites Hoyer's deal said to be three years.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 3m3 minutes ago
Brian Hoyer's contract is expected to be 3 years and in the range of $12-14 million. Getting more due to playing experience.

Mallett got $1.75m guaranteed.

Short of trading up for Mariota or Winston, or maybe the Bears releasing Cutler, I think getting both Hoyer and Mallett is probably about as good as anyone could expect to be done with who is available this offseason. And actually getting both of them is better than I expected, I figured they'd get just one. Not that I think we can count on this being any kind of long term solution, but I think the front office probably did the best they could given the situation.

The more I look at Suh's contract and free agency this year, the more I'm convinced the Texans did a great job by signing Watt last year. They got him when he still had years left on his contract and while the cap was still flat, artificially depressed by the players borrowing money from the 2013 and 2014 caps to bump up the 2012 cap.

Mike Sando had this comment:

It's fair to wonder in the meantime if the Lions could have avoided their current Suh dilemma by moving more proactively before static caps turned into growing ones.

"You cannot tell me Suh would not have taken $14 million a year with $50 million guaranteed a year ago," one negotiator said.
Texans got Watt for over $2m a year less than Suh, and as good as Suh is, there's no way I'd take him over Watt.

"It's business," Johnson told the Houston Chronicle. "I understand that side of it. I'm not angry about it. I knew at some point in time, this day would come. If we were living in a perfect world, you know I'd want to finish my career here, but, unfortunately, that's not what's going to happen. You just have to move forward. ...

"I don't know how you tell a guy who catches 85 balls that he'll only probably catch 40. I feel like the role they were trying to put me in I'd be held back from maximizing my talents. I feel like that was the best thing for both sides. Why sit there and be miserable when I can go somewhere else and be able to show my talents."
Thanks for the quote. Not sure what they were thinking with the 40 catch prediction. They don't have anyone on the team worthy of stealing his targets so they must be planning on making a FA splash at the position or planning to run the ball 600+ times.

For anyone around your TV set, NFLN's Path to the Draft just started, and they teased there will be a segment focusing on the Texans draft needs.

Summary:

Unanimous (Baldinger, Curtis Conway and Charles Davis) about getting WR Devante Parker if he is there at 16, though doubts that he'd make it that far.

Players they liked for Houston in later rounds:

C Cam Erving probably gone at 51, so mentioned BJ Finney from KSU as a later pick.

FS Damarious Randall from ASU in the 3rd, cover guy who can play corner as well.

ILB 2nd round, went with Stephone Anthony from Clemson though they had a few possibilities there.

What about it seems silly? Do you think either of them is so obviously a good thing that having another option isn't a good thing to have?

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Signing two,qbs means u really have none, doesnt make sense, they gonna have a competition?? Neither guys is the answer
So if they sign Mallett and Hoyer they don't really have a QB.... but it's somehow better if they only signed Mallett?

There's no great option out there to be had. It's a weak QB draft and the Texans aren't in a good position to move up for what little there is. Better to have two guys and increase your chances one outperforms what you think he is, than just have one guy. It isn't like they broke the bank here. They'll still be in the bottom quarter of the league in what they pay QBs.

Signing two,qbs means u really have none, doesnt make sense, they gonna have a competition?? Neither guys is the answer
that's what they said when seattle drafted russell wilson and signed that green bay dude

that's what they said when seattle drafted russell wilson and signed that green bay dude
Flynn. Not to mention Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson as well. They looked under a lot of rocks before they found him.

Mallett certainly looked like he could be the guy in his first start last year. He got hurt before his second start and that injury affected his accuracy and he had a lousy second game. Thatinjury was enough to keep him out the rest of the season.So they really signed Mallett to possibly be their long-term starter. They signed Hoyer to be their back-up since he knows the Patriot offense that O'Brien uses. Neither are great alternatives but they are about the best the Texans can do at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread