What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House Cleaner/Maid (1 Viewer)

Do you have a house cleaner/maid.........state if they are an Immigrant

• yes

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • no

Votes: 39 48.1%

• Total voters
I have no idea, should I ask her for documentation? Seems American, could be from an island, I have no clue.

She does a good job, never stole anything, and charges a fair price - Those are the only boxes I'm looking to check with a maid (if I wasn't married I'd have a little more criteria).

No, but I've tried to get my wife to hire one and she won't.  Wife is a US born citizen, but I do more or as much cleaning as she does.

We do, but we get ours through a big company (Merry Maids), so I don't know. I would bet that they are, since it would be harder for them to get away with it. When I was growing up, we used a group that did our neighborhood, among others, that was a group of Central American ladies that asked to always be paid in cash. I assume they were less than legal.

ETA: I love having our house cleaned professionally. We have hard wood floors on the main and second floor of our place, and they do such a much better job than we do. We pay ~125 every two weeks for our 5+ br house.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

When I did, in Brazil, she was Brazilian.

Were I to get one today she'd likely be Peruvian (in Peru)

Mr. Ected said:
We do, but we get ours through a big company (Merry Maids), so I don't know. I would bet that they are, since it would be harder for them to get away with it. When I was growing up, we used a group that did our neighborhood, among others, that was a group of Central American ladies that asked to always be paid in cash. I assume they were less than legal.

ETA: I love having our house cleaned professionally. We have hard wood floors on the main and second floor of our place, and they do such a much better job than we do. We pay ~125 every two weeks for our 5+ br house.

$3000 a year?     if done every year for 20 years, assuming you could have invested that at a very paltry 3%,  that's nearly $90,000  and that's assuming the price never goes up, which it will.     Adding in that assumption it's probably more like 120,000.

That's over a year's take home for most people....      clean your home, or have an extra YEAR or more of retirement..

Hand me the dustbuster

None but a friend had a Polish house cleaner come every two weeks. Absolutely gorgeous. I had the fortune of being at his house one day when she came by.... I made every excuse to come up with reasons to be in whatever room she was in cleaning to take in the view.

$3000 a year?     if done every year for 20 years, assuming you could have invested that at a very paltry 3%,  that's nearly $90,000  and that's assuming the price never goes up, which it will.     Adding in that assumption it's probably more like 120,000.

That's over a year's take home for most people....      clean your home, or have an extra YEAR or more of retirement..

Hand me the dustbuster
Take it the investment thread, Buffett.

Hand me the dustbuster
For some of us, factors such as our time, and our wife's sanity and well being, which directly correlates to our own sanity and well being, trump money. 

Mr. Ected said:

We are similar to this. Crew of guys, central or South American I believe, come in once every two weeks for a major cleaning. We also have a "nanny" who helps my wife out one day a week with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. --she's incredible, cooks amazing dinners any night she's here, somehow manages to clean the house and take care of the kids. We are going to start bringing her in two days a week. She's incredible. I want her to move in and be our Alice. 

Mr. Ected said:

We are similar to this. Crew of guys, central or South American I believe, come in once every two weeks for a major cleaning. We also have a "nanny" who helps my wife out one day a week with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. --she's incredible, cooks amazing dinners any night she's here, somehow manages to clean the house and take care of the kids. We are going to start bringing her in two days a week. She's incredible. I want her to move in and be our Alice. 
I think my crew is Central American also. I like that they are from a big company and if I need to move them to a different week because of visitors, or just needing to be here to keep our dog from killing them (she's a jack russell, beagle mix, so she's more of a barker than a biter ;) ) I can move the time of their visit easily.

For some of us, factors such as our time, and our wife's sanity and well being, which directly correlates to our own sanity and well being, trump money. 
In our case, as a stay-at-home Dad, it's my sanity; we have 3 kids and multiple pets. I also like it because the visit forces me to make sure everything in the house is ready for them. It would be easy for me to push cleaning, but this way the kids get their rooms and play areas straightened and I get everything else ready.

My wife should be a partner in a large CPA firm next year. We are doing OK on $$$ in both day-to-day and savings. I also figure with my inability to drink, I am more than making up this cash. :2cents:

30ish years of an easier day to day life, especially while raising kids > sitting on your ### a year earlier. 

Hand me the dustbuster
I look at it as an investment as well...Adding precious days of fun to my life. 

We have three ladies that come bi-weekly (every other week, not twice a week). They are Hispanic but I have no idea is they immigrated to the USA or were born here. I'd imagine if they immigrated, it was legal just based on their acclimation to our culture but I don't really know.

I look at it as an investment as well...Adding precious days of fun to my life. 
Fair enough, if you know the long term price and still accept the terms, i suppose it's ok.

I just can't handle paying anyone for anything that's within normal reason for me to do myself....     although as I type that I suppose I do purchase oil changes, haircuts, interior room painting, and shirt laundry.. as well as waste money on cable...  so maybe i'm no better.

Fair enough, if you know the long term price and still accept the terms, i suppose it's ok.

I just can't handle paying anyone for anything that's within normal reason for me to do myself....     although as I type that I suppose I do purchase oil changes, haircuts, interior room painting, and shirt laundry.. as well as waste money on cable...  so maybe i'm no better.
Do you tip your urologist because you're unable to pulverize your own kidney stones?

I have maids that come bi-weekly. $65 each visit. The absolute best money I spend. It's a group of five that show up and they are done in an hour. They sweep and mop, vacuum, clean the bathrooms and kitchen spotless, change all of the sheets on the beds, and wipe down all surfaces. If I leave dishes in the sink or unfolded laundry out, they do that as well.

All are Hispanic, with the leader of the group being an American citizen. I am related or friends with probably 8 other houses they clean, and they always do their best not to lose all of the business. I always know if my stepmom says something, the next few times, the house is extra clean.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Mr. Ected said:

Hand me the dustbuster
When and how long do you have that dust buster in hand?  Saturday mornings for 2hrs?  If done every 2 weeks every year for 20 years, that's 1,040 hours you spent dusting your mantle while I was out for a run, playing soccer with my kids, etc.  

Why are we talking about having to hire housekeepers?  WTF do we have wives for, surely it's not for the sex.  What's next, you all going out and hiring sandwich makers too?

Why are we talking about having to hire housekeepers?  WTF do we have wives for, surely it's not for the sex.  What's next, you all going out and hiring sandwich makers too?
Some of us are single. Tell me more about these personal sandwich makers.

My ladies come every Friday. they're cool. and as a single dude they take care of me and stuff - they're always doing extra stuff they're not "supposed" to do like cleaning outside windows and inside the fridge. It's easy to trust them. anyway, whenever they get there on Friday mornings and I let them in the door - one of them always never fails to say something very sexually suggestive in Spanish - about my body or my butt - I guess whatever they're in the mood for that day. I still don't know if they simply think I don't understand them or if they just don't care. And for some reason I think if they were "official citizens" (or whatever) it would be awkward to me.

My ladies come every Friday. they're cool. and as a single dude they take care of me and stuff - they're always doing extra stuff they're not "supposed" to do like cleaning outside windows and inside the fridge. It's easy to trust them. anyway, whenever they get there on Friday mornings and I let them in the door - one of them always never fails to say something very sexually suggestive in Spanish - about my body or my butt - I guess whatever they're in the mood for that day. I still don't know if they simply think I don't understand them or if they just don't care. And for some reason I think if they were "official citizens" (or whatever) it would be awkward to me.
Well done. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about them at their next visit on Friday

They're called wives.
Seems excessive and expensive for sandwiches. And what happens when I want different types of sandwiches. Maybe a Torta, or Gyro, instead I've committed my life to just grilled cheese.

Seems excessive and expensive for sandwiches. And what happens when I want different types of sandwiches. Maybe a Torta, or Gyro, instead I've committed my life to just grilled cheese.
Maybe the grilled cheese has a sister or a friend, a panini for instance, who wants to be eaten along with the grilled cheese.  Not in reality of course, but maybe.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Maybe the grilled cheese has a sister or a friend, a panini for instance, who wants to be eaten along with the grilled cheese.  Not in reality of course, but maybe.
So...I was really talking about sandwiches...

I had a Russian immigrant for a while that was great, but the company she worked for sucked and couldn't keep track of the billing right.

Then a woman from Texas.  She was good, but ended up giving up her business.

Current is a local Washingtonian.   Seems fine.

With multiple pets and kids, it took less than a day for the house to turn into a mess again when we tried it for a bit.   Unless they're coming every day, I didn't see the point.  I've grown to be at peace with an unclean house.   

Do you tip your urologist because you're unable to pulverize your own kidney stones?
I guess you missed the part about the job being "reasonable".    I'm not even going to do my own dentistry,  let alone any other medical procedures, or high end mechanic work on a vehicle or higher level home restoration projects.

Instead of a maid, what I really need is a cleaner wife.   In my own mind, I refer to her as my third child and the messiest of the three.  

i use molly maids, my usual team is 1 australian and 1 what used to be called black, now af american.

worth the money

When and how long do you have that dust buster in hand?  Saturday mornings for 2hrs?  If done every 2 weeks every year for 20 years, that's 1,040 hours you spent dusting your mantle while I was out for a run, playing soccer with my kids, etc.  
That's a fair response.

I'd say I spend some of that time after the children goto bed on weeknights

Some of that time is during "nap time" on Saturday or Sunday (while i usually watch a sporting event or listen to a podcast)

Some of that time might be while they are awake and the child can participate.  It teaches them that crap needs to get done around the house, and that they need to help...  it can be turned into something fun even if you try.

I don't like cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, or really doing anything... but I just consider the household chores a second job...  I suppose i could be more +EV by doing another root canal than saving $12 an hour by cleaning or mowing..  oh well.

wife just got a new job that will pay another $20k-30k annually. i was informed that we're doing this.

what should i expect to pay for a monthly 'deep clean' of 2700SF place?

wife just got a new job that will pay another $20k-30k annually. i was informed that we're doing this.

what should i expect to pay for a monthly 'deep clean' of 2700SF place?
I'd think that is so location-dependent. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, but I pay $115 for a once-a-month cleaning on 1400 sq ft.

Wife and I both have full time jobs.  We have a house cleaner that comes biweekly. College aged girl that others in our neighborhood use.

Although we have a house cleaner the wife still has us pick up and tidy up around the house the night before so it isn’t “too dirty” for the house cleaner.   :loco: .  I always tell her that’s the point of paying for the house cleaner.  My friends say their wives do the same thing so it has to be embedded in the female genes somehow.  

Users who are viewing this thread