What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Price of Solar Has Dropped 50% in Last 16 Months (1 Viewer)

the guy just left, and i'm definitely still interested.  just under $4 per watt all in, and that's before the 30% tax credit.  25 year warranty on everything.  would cover 85% of my current power bill and in 5 months of the year i'd be selling back to the utility at $.048 per kWhr.  Would pay for itself in just under 14 years.

so was part of the deal that you had to pay for the panels over time and transfer them to the new owner if you were to sell?
I pay a set amount that is basically tier 1 pricing for all energy they produce for 20 years.  Then they're mine.  No issues with transferring them to new owner.  Would be just like Edison Electric utility when a new owner buys the house.  They take care of all warranty/service issues.

Basically...instead of paying whatever tier Edison likes to throw at me...I pay a set amount per kilowatt.  While Edison goes up every year and has multiple tiers for more usage and during peak hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uruk-Hai said:
Also check and see if there are any co-ops in your area. There's even one here in the fairly remote area I live in. I think the deal is that, for every 25 houses that sign up, the user gets an additional 20% off.
How large is this co-op you speak of?

Put solar on the house about 9 months ago - don't regret anything about it all. Wish I did it years ago.

FIL is in the business and gave me a sweet deal.

I purchased which he strongly recommended - even mentioning "leasing is for suckers".

How large is this co-op you speak of?
I think this is the one in my area I was thinking of: Link I saw something on one of the local channels and it led me to that site. You may be able to click through and find one that's covering you (you're Warren Co, right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I this is the one in my area I was thinking of: Link I saw something on one of the local channels and it led me to that site. You may be able to click through and find one that's covering you (you're Warren Co, right?)
No, I'm country, but I'm not that country.  Thanks for the link.

the guy just left, and i'm definitely still interested.  just under $4 per watt all in, and that's before the 30% tax credit.  25 year warranty on everything.  would cover 85% of my current power bill and in 5 months of the year i'd be selling back to the utility at $.048 per kWhr.  Would pay for itself in just under 14 years.
What assumptions are that payback period based on?  I mean, my average power bill (over a rolling 12 months) is like $150.  Over the next few years, as stuff breaks and needs replacing, I plan on replacing with energy efficient stuff (and maybe going to propane for certain things) - like my heat pumps with electric backup, or my electric water heat and electric stove.  And what if I can only logistically have panels facing SE, not SW.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen....

Put solar on the house about 9 months ago - don't regret anything about it all. Wish I did it years ago.

FIL is in the business and gave me a sweet deal.

I purchased which he strongly recommended - even mentioning "leasing is for suckers".
any idea how many months you're net +/- from the grid?

someone should invent regular old shingles that create power and when you instll them they make a huge power grid on your celiing then bam every roof becomes a power plant and pretty soon no more of this usig coal or a nuke bomb like a sucker stuff take that to the swc dreams of the better future bank bromigos 

My electric bill is becoming a concern and I'm seeing a lot of houses with solar popping up.  I assume most of these are one of those Solar City lease deals.  What's the all in typically if you buy?

James Daulton said:
My electric bill is becoming a concern and I'm seeing a lot of houses with solar popping up.  I assume most of these are one of those Solar City lease deals.  What's the all in typically if you buy?
quote i got today was $23,250 for 5.9kW system.  That's just under 4$/Watt before the 30% tax credit.

joffer said:
Just solar with little power usage because most appliances are gas, we both work during the day, and the weather is moderate enough that there is no need for AC or anything.

And it sounds like a great idea now. But then sooner or later OSEC (the Organization of Sunlight Exporting Constellations) will come along and monopolize our sunlight and start scaling it back to raise prices.

Sunbathers will be lined up around the corner waiting to get into the beach as the sunlight dries up. If the beach is even open, some of them will have already run out and will have signs up saying "No Sunlight today."

So I'm paying 12 cents/KWH  (including all taxes & fees) from Dominion Power. How many KWH would you expect to produce per month in the midatlantic region  with an average setup? 
"average" can mean anything.  I was quoted $23,250 worth of panels (about 300 sq ft.) that will produce 8681 kWh per year in Austin, TX.  My average consumption is about 10kWh per year.  At $0.125 per kWh i'll save about $800 per year.

"average" can mean anything.  I was quoted $23,250 worth of panels (about 300 sq ft.) that will produce 8681 kWh per year in Austin, TX.  My average consumption is about 10kWh per year.  At $0.125 per kWh i'll save about $800 per year.
That's not a good payoff. I used 1953 kwh in June alone.

i may re-finance my mortgage and roll this in.  with the current rates it makes it even better.

My electric bill is a damn mess...every month it is a convoluted mess...check this thing out for May (my lowest month of consumption, typically):

Your rate: DOMESTIC
Billing period: May 12 '16 to Jun 1 '16 (20 days Winter Season)
Jun 1 '16 to Jun 13 '16 (12 days Summer Season)
Delivery charges
Basic charge 32 days x $0.03100 $0.99
Energy-Winter
Tier 1 (within baseline) 252 kWh x $0.07682 $19.36
Tier 2 (up to 30%) 76 kWh x $0.13461 $10.23
Tier 3 (31% to 100%) 176 kWh x $0.16890 $29.73
Tier 4 (more than 100%) 46 kWh x $0.22813 $10.49
Energy-Summer
Tier 1 (within baseline) 154 kWh x $0.08260 $12.72
Tier 2 (up to 100%) 154 kWh x $0.15458 $23.81
Tier 3 (more than 100%) 25 kWh x $0.21769 $5.44
DWR bond charge 883 kWh x $0.00539 $4.75
Generation charges
DWR
DWR energy credit 883 kWh x -$0.00022 -$0.19
SCE
Energy-Winter
Tier 1 (within baseline) 252 kWh x $0.06909 $17.41
Tier 2 (up to 30%) 76 kWh x $0.06909 $5.25
Tier 3 (31% to 100%) 176 kWh x $0.06909 $12.16
Tier 4 (more than 100%) 46 kWh x $0.06909 $3.18
Energy-Summer
Tier 1 (within baseline) 154 kWh x $0.06919 $10.66
Tier 2 (up to 100%) 154 kWh x $0.06919 $10.66
Tier 3 (more than 100%) 25 kWh x $0.06919 $1.73
Subtotal of your new charges $178.38
State tax 883 kWh x $0.00029 $0.26
Your new charges $178.64

It sums it up that my average cost per kilowatt hour for the month:

406kWh in Tier 1 at $.15

230kWh in Tier 2 at $.22

201kWh in Tier 3 at $.26

46kWh in Tier 4 at $.30

I get why they're breaking up the Winter and Summer seasons...but I don't think I fully understand why they break up Delivery and Generation charges.

Who knows...it's all a mess.

All I know is that I'm paying $.15 to $.30 per kWh for my electrical.

I don't know where you guys live that electrical is so much cheaper.

This bill makes me think that I've GOT to get solar...I mean, if you guys are considering it with tiny charges per kWh...it's a MUST for me, right?

wow

how many square feet?
2,500 but it's a two story with a pool. 

The pool pump and cooling the upstairs is part of the problem. I really don't know why it's so high though. My neighbors are also surprised by the cost. 

I replaced the pool pump to a high efficiency variable speed a few months ago. Not sure what I can do to help cool the 2nd story  

Northern CA if it matters. 

2,500 but it's a two story with a pool. 

The pool pump and cooling the upstairs is part of the problem. I really don't know why it's so high though. My neighbors are also surprised by the cost. 

I replaced the pool pump to a high efficiency variable speed a few months ago. Not sure what I can do to help cool the 2nd story  

Northern CA if it matters. 
Efficient windows, more insulation, blinds, sealing off air leaks to/from attic?

My house is larger than that, but no pool, and I average 1400-1500 kWh per month.  In any given rolling 12 month time period I'd spending $2,000-2,200 on power bills.  So I'm not sure how long any payback period would be for me.  Joffer above said he was quoted ~$23k for his system, which would only cover about half my annual power consumption.  The payback period would be over 20 years then, which is a bit long for my taste. 

I purchased. Number shook out as follows - rounding here . .

Panels cost around 25K

Tax credits got me back around 10K.

The remaining 15K is financed thru my utility company (PSE&G) over the next 15 years. My bill over the past year or o averaged around $200 a month. For the next 15 years I'm locked in at $140 a month. After that  . . . no more electric bills.

Really a no brainer imo.

Panels cost around 25K

The remaining 15K is financed thru my utility company (PSE&G) over the next 15 years. My bill over the past year or o averaged around $200 a month. For the next 15 years I'm locked in at $140 a month. After that  . . . no more electric bills.

Really a no brainer imo.
Is the financing something you could pass on to someone who bought your house? Or would you have to 'work it out' with them to put the remaining cost of the panels into the cost of the house?

Efficient windows, more insulation, blinds, sealing off air leaks to/from attic?

My house is larger than that, but no pool, and I average 1400-1500 kWh per month.  In any given rolling 12 month time period I'd spending $2,000-2,200 on power bills.  So I'm not sure how long any payback period would be for me.  Joffer above said he was quoted ~$23k for his system, which would only cover about half my annual power consumption.  The payback period would be over 20 years then, which is a bit long for my taste. 

Habw blinds on all windows. Tinted windows facing West. Built in 2003 but im sure it could use more insulation as they never use enough. 

Panels cost around 25K

Really a no brainer imo.
Who owns the panels?  Who pays if they break or are damaged?

Habw blinds on all windows. Tinted windows facing West. Built in 2003 but im sure it could use more insulation as they never use enough. 
Yeah, I roughly tripled the insulation that was in my house built in 1998.  That helped a lot.  Do you have heat pumps or AC for cooling?  How efficient (I assume new with the young age of the house). 

Yeah, I roughly tripled the insulation that was in my house built in 1998.  That helped a lot.  Do you have heat pumps or AC for cooling?  How efficient (I assume new with the young age of the house). 
AC for cooling. I wonder if there is a more efficient AC unit out there 

AC for cooling. I wonder if there is a more efficient AC unit out there 
Then you'll have to figure your payback period for it.  Say it saves you $200 a year, but costs $3k.  Likely not worth it.  Just wait for it to break down, and replace it then?

Then you'll have to figure your payback period for it.  Say it saves you $200 a year, but costs $3k.  Likely not worth it.  Just wait for it to break down, and replace it then?
Right. 

On ther hand solar would take me no time to pay back. 

damn, second quote was $3/W!  Smaller system that they say can produce better efficiency.  Now i have to research power optimizers vs. micro-inverters.

damn, second quote was $3/W!  Smaller system that they say can produce better efficiency.  Now i have to research power optimizers vs. micro-inverters.
Do either come with a flux capacitor, or do you need to provide your own?

reviews on this company are a little iffy.  this price may be too good to be true.

down to two companies.  Freedom Solar and Alba Energy.  Both seem pretty local to TX.

Alba is about 20% cheaper and uses LG panels

Freedom uses SunPower panels and has better warranties

Sunpower seems to be the Cadillac of panels right now.  LG not quite as good but solid reviews.

If I can talk down Freedom a little on price i'll probably go with them.

Both are 6kW systems that will generate about 8700 kW-hr per year.  Both under $3/Watt after the 30% Federal Tax credit.

Users who are viewing this thread