What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rules Input Requested on Auction Dynasty (1 Viewer)

GreatAmericanFF

Footballguy
Hi all,

I am starting up an auction dynasty in the next few weeks and am struggling with something in the by-laws. My plan is to allow keepers for up to 3 years with a 10% bump each year. However, what I am struggling with is ensuring that the "weakest" teams get an opportunity to get the help they need. Obviously, with the year over year auction, they won't get the top pick. How do your leagues account for that? Have you heard anything where additional auction dollars are awarded based on winning a consolation tournament in order to help those teams on the bottom?

Thanks for any input.

I abandoned keepers in the one auction league I ever attempted it in.

We used a formula, all kept players are ('price' * 1.15 + 15), all players retain their value unless dropped and unclaimed, all free agents are worth a minimum of 5 (21 after adjusted to keep), values are rounded up. This was with a 300 dollar budget. After the first season we added a clause that if a player ended the season on the IR, the following season they could keep them at a discount of 25% (after adjustment)

The formula had two functions, the 1.15x was to greater impact the absolute studs, the +15 is to still reward absolute steals without ruining the league.

Sorry this doesn't address your direct problem, but having a flat rate will always reward the top teams, it needs to be a sliding scale - this is a nightmare and ruins the concept of the format imo which is why we dropped it after 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
14 year old league.  We have an NFL style, worst-to-first rookie draft prior to our veteran FA auction.  Rookie cap values are slotted for each pick.

My 20+ year league does a few things....

1: we have a 2 round rookie draft before the auction, rookies get a minimum $ salary and a 3 year contract.

2: we allow 6 keepers (not including the rookie contracts) can keep a player as long as you wish providing you can afford him.

3: every player kept gets a 10% raise in salary every year.

4: we have a "free agent" period. Before training camp starts every owner can select one non rookie contract player that's currently on another team to be blind bid for. No team can have more than 2 players bid on. The original owner has the right to match the salary bid and keep the player if he chooses, otherwise the player goes to the highest bidder.

and of course if you are out of the running for the playoffs, you can trade players for draft picks if someone is willing.

Player value goes up 15% every year. Any player under $10 goes up $3. $250 cap that goes
up to $275 after the first week. PPR with a flex, -1 for fumbles lost and int's. "Weaker" teams
will build through rookies or overpriced players. Trying to help make the league more even
then fair will work for a while but you can't fix stupid or lazy. I use the word stupid for owners
that either will not put the time in or don't care about being competitive.

I run an auction dynasty (more accurately auction extended keeper). We have a salary cap, separate worst to first rookie draft (playoff lottery for first pick only) and "escalators" added to salaries the longer you keep a player out of the auction. Our salaries are set directly from stats and fantasy points, and correlate to what you see in standard $200 auction cap leagues (our salary cap is technically $250). For the most part they are 10% of the fantasy points they scored, but adjustments are made for missed games (e.g., using prorated points and/or including previous year's points if half the season or more is missed by the player). Escalators are an additional $5 added to the generated salary for each year you keep the player from being exposed in the auction. We also discount rookies kept after their first year at half the salary rate, and don't start the escalator process until after their third season to promote investment in rookie picks. After setting keepers in your salary cap, every team receives $100 for bidding in our vet auction. Most teams end up keeping 8-12 players on average.

We are starting our 8th season, which allows me to assess how my setup works in actuality, and what I might do different if I were starting fresh. My general observations are as follows:

True stud RBs and WRs will never reach the auction before they have exhausted their useful life. Everyone seems to find a way to afford them no matter how high they get. Top salaries in year 8 are in the $60 range with $30 of it in escalators.

If you don't use a Superflex, when people need to make room for their studs, they dump the QBs. Simple supply and demand in one QB start leagues. We made the adjustment to generate QB salaries at 75% the rate of other positions, which helped but doesn't completely solve the problem. Most teams will keep one QB, but rarely two. Some in my league won't go for the Superflex, so that's why we're in that situation, but Superflex alone would solve virtually all my problems if I could start over.

Teams with too much talent can trade their excess. Often will be at discounted value to what the player is probably worth, but anything for a player you would normally have to cut is better than nothing. There are always rebuilding teams with lots of cap room. A second round rookie pick can be had at the very least in many cases. The only disadvantage to trading is you take that player out of the auction and can't rebid on him to get him back. And escalators don't get reset by dealing them away to different teams.

Perhaps our salary cap is too high. Maybe I would set it to $200 if starting fresh. Or assign less than $100 auction cash to each team. I think the latter might actually help more in some ways. Or even start at $200 cap in year one and add $10 to the cap each year thereafter until it reaches $250. IMO the salary cap parameters aren't what I'd focus on changing in hindsight though.

Finally, not a fan of setting a limit of how long you can keep a player. If it's a dynasty/extended keeper, you know a group of top players will be kept off the market every year up front. And you are setting rising premiums already based on how long a player is kept. The system will take care of itself if you set all the parameters right.

Hopefully what I've posted might help the original poster and others how to approach auction keeper by-laws. It's a great format if it's done right.

I run an auction dynasty (more accurately auction extended keeper). We have a salary cap, separate worst to first rookie draft (playoff lottery for first pick only) and "escalators" added to salaries the longer you keep a player out of the auction. Our salaries are set directly from stats and fantasy points, and correlate to what you see in standard $200 auction cap leagues (our salary cap is technically $250). For the most part they are 10% of the fantasy points they scored, but adjustments are made for missed games (e.g., using prorated points and/or including previous year's points if half the season or more is missed by the player). Escalators are an additional $5 added to the generated salary for each year you keep the player from being exposed in the auction. We also discount rookies kept after their first year at half the salary rate, and don't start the escalator process until after their third season to promote investment in rookie picks. After setting keepers in your salary cap, every team receives $100 for bidding in our vet auction. Most teams end up keeping 8-12 players on average.

We are starting our 8th season, which allows me to assess how my setup works in actuality, and what I might do different if I were starting fresh. My general observations are as follows:

True stud RBs and WRs will never reach the auction before they have exhausted their useful life. Everyone seems to find a way to afford them no matter how high they get. Top salaries in year 8 are in the $60 range with $30 of it in escalators.

If you don't use a Superflex, when people need to make room for their studs, they dump the QBs. Simple supply and demand in one QB start leagues. We made the adjustment to generate QB salaries at 75% the rate of other positions, which helped but doesn't completely solve the problem. Most teams will keep one QB, but rarely two. Some in my league won't go for the Superflex, so that's why we're in that situation, but Superflex alone would solve virtually all my problems if I could start over.

Teams with too much talent can trade their excess. Often will be at discounted value to what the player is probably worth, but anything for a player you would normally have to cut is better than nothing. There are always rebuilding teams with lots of cap room. A second round rookie pick can be had at the very least in many cases. The only disadvantage to trading is you take that player out of the auction and can't rebid on him to get him back. And escalators don't get reset by dealing them away to different teams.

Perhaps our salary cap is too high. Maybe I would set it to $200 if starting fresh. Or assign less than $100 auction cash to each team. I think the latter might actually help more in some ways. Or even start at $200 cap in year one and add $10 to the cap each year thereafter until it reaches $250. IMO the salary cap parameters aren't what I'd focus on changing in hindsight though.

Finally, not a fan of setting a limit of how long you can keep a player. If it's a dynasty/extended keeper, you know a group of top players will be kept off the market every year up front. And you are setting rising premiums already based on how long a player is kept. The system will take care of itself if you set all the parameters right.

Hopefully what I've posted might help the original poster and others how to approach auction keeper by-laws. It's a great format if it's done right.
The number of the cap is NEVER the issue. No matter what the cap is, it is always the rules around it that drive the "problems". If you have a $10 cap, then players cost pennies. If you have a 1000 dollar cap, then players cost dollars but it is all relevant within the system. 

In the vast majority of leagues I have seen with issues, if it is an IDP league, it always comes down to people treating defensive players as 2nd class citizens and not balancing the league.  It is sometimes a roster number limit issue.  Larger usually is better.  Sometimes leagues try to get cute and try the old "the top 10 scorers at a position get this treatment and the other get this, etc".  They basically legislate a league of haves and have nots. Without going on and on, in general I have found that the successful leagues always adopt a "rising tide lifts all boats" philosophy, meaning that ALL players gets raises and the base is the same.  Aaron Rodgers gets a 10% raise?  Then Blake Bortles does too.  And so does JJ Watt.  The nickel and dining of teams across large rosters is what drives the hard decisions and eventually the turnover of adding players to free agent auctions (usually what leagues are trying to get going).  

I've seen a couple of great leagues really go after it and add franchise tags, high and mid level tenders, etc and you know what? It works excellently.  I've never understood why people see a process that works so well in real life, then say "hey we want ti imitate that", and then do something completely different.  So my advice is if you want realism, then emulate the NFL. They got it right. 

1: we have a 2 round rookie draft before the auction, rookies get a minimum $ salary and a 3 year contract.

2: we allow 6 keepers (not including the rookie contracts) can keep a player as long as you wish providing you can afford him.

4: we have a "free agent" period. Before training camp starts every owner can select one non rookie contract player that's currently on another team to be blind bid for. No team can have more than 2 players bid on. The original owner has the right to match the salary bid and keep the player if he chooses, otherwise the player goes to the highest bidder.

and of course if you are out of the running for the playoffs, you can trade players for draft picks if someone is willing.
Man, I love that concept. I bet that makes for some fun off season activity. 

Man, I love that concept. I bet that makes for some fun off season activity. 
Yeah, we were looking for something to keep interest up after the NFL draft. It's definitely added some strategy as you can nominate a player you feel is underpriced even if you don't want him yourself (as long as you don't get stuck being the high bidder) and then too it's a way to add a top talent to your team, one of those guys that won't see the auction for a few years.

Yeah, we were looking for something to keep interest up after the NFL draft. It's definitely added some strategy as you can nominate a player you feel is underpriced even if you don't want him yourself (as long as you don't get stuck being the high bidder) and then too it's a way to add a top talent to your team, one of those guys that won't see the auction for a few years.
Very cool. I may have to PM you for language details. Would like to suggest that to a league I was playing in last year. I think this is the kind of thing they would like.

Hi all,

I am starting up an auction dynasty in the next few weeks and am struggling with something in the by-laws. My plan is to allow keepers for up to 3 years with a 10% bump each year. However, what I am struggling with is ensuring that the "weakest" teams get an opportunity to get the help they need. Obviously, with the year over year auction, they won't get the top pick. How do your leagues account for that? Have you heard anything where additional auction dollars are awarded based on winning a consolation tournament in order to help those teams on the bottom?

Thanks for any input.
My main league has struggled with this idea for years.  

One thing to note is that a salary element will automatically create more roster turn over than you think it will (provided you can release players who are under contract) simply because a players current value will always fluctuate relative to his previous year's value.  Example, Melvin Gordon isn't going to cost in 2016 what he cost as a rookie when people thought he might be the next big thing.  He got cut when it became clear to his owner that he wasn't worth that much money to sit on his bench or be a bye week fill-in.  So there absolutely can be "from worst to first" turn arounds each year because the top talent (and thus most expensive talent) tends to go back into the free agent pool each year.

The key is striking a balance between allowing owners to keep their discoveries while also making them a pay enough to do so that can't sit on someone for years and it not hurt a little to do so.

We adopted a stair step approach for salary increases and also adopted a cap hit plan which tends to pressure teams to not keep players as long.  I'd say that roughly one-third to one-half of the highest paid and highest performing players at each position are available each year in our auction because they tend to cost enough that owners only sign them to 1 or 2 year deals (if they were expensive) or they are young players coming to end of their initial contracts.

You can sign a player for up to 5 years with the year 2 salary being the year 1 salary + 5%, year 3 costing year 2 + 10%, year 4 costing year 3 + 15% and year 5 costing year 4 + 20%.  It's basically compound interest.  But when you cut a player, the salary increases over and above the original purchase price count against your cap as dead money.

With the salary increases and cap hits, if you sign a player to 5 years and then cut him a year or two later, you are looking at a cap hit that is roughly 60% of what the original purchase price was. So that tends to cause owners to hedge their bets and sign players to shorter term deals which tends to keep plenty of proven and speculative talent rolling back through the annual auction each year.  This is what helps the worst to first hopefuls...that churning and turn over in rosters.

We also set a minimum contract price per player position if you want to sign a player to a 4 or 5 year deal.  This keeps someone from snagging a guy at the end of the auction for nothing and locking him up for 5 years.  An example is that you must bid $20 or more on a RB or you are capped at a 3 year deal.  At $20, the cap hit on a 5 year deal is more than $11.  Considering you can buy a good DE or LB for that same $10, you tend to be careful about locking guys up for 5 years unless you are confident they are going to pan out.  That forces an owner who really believes in a prospect to pay a bit for that privilege.  No taking a late auction flier for $1 and crowing over your draft prowess for the next 5 years when it was really just a matter of you having that extra dollar or roster spot at the end of the night.  You kinda have to call your shot a little bit with this minimum price limit in place.

One option to further aid the weaker teams would be to let the auction call-out order matter.  You could use a reverse-finish order for calling out players for bid.  Last place team calls out the first player for bid and so on.  But then you let the calling out owner silently watch the bidding and either match the highest bid or waive the player to the high bidder.  That keeps the calling out owner from having to bid, so he doesn't show his hand to other owners.  And the other bidding owners, whether they intend to win the player or just want to run the price up, must gamble on what the silent owner is thinking.  That tends to add some value to the order of call out which can then be set up for the benefit of the weaker teams.

I love this type of format because it keeps an element of dynasty to it but also allows for the worst to first turn around that a redraft format allows.  If you are bold and good at talent evaluation, you can still use that skill.  But you can also fix mistakes in a season or so rather than digging yourself a 5 year rebuild hole.

How do you enforce the bolded? If 3 owners end up blind-bidding on 3 different guys on the same team, how do you decide which two bids count and which one doesn't?

How do you enforce the bolded? If 3 owners end up blind-bidding on 3 different guys on the same team, how do you decide which two bids count and which one doesn't?
We have 10 teams, each owner, in order of record "nominates" a player from a team....after any team has 2 players nominated (usually no more than 2 teams will get 2 players nominated) after 2 have been nominated from a team, nobody else can nominate a player from that team.

once all ten teams have nominated someone, we go back thru in order and send in a blind bid one player at a time (if you're interested in bidding on the player, you don't have to bid)

the process takes about a month, 2 days for each owner to nominate a player, 2 days to submit a bid, 2 days for owner to make a decision....and so on until all 10 players have been bid.

My league is pretty unique, and as commish I take on a lot of extra work myself to keep it running, mostly because I've never found a site that could support what I wanted to do. Here's the particulars:

10 team, auction, PPR, 2 QB

we do a three round rookie draft with slotted values, with the non-playoff teams drawing the top picks (lottery system).

$200 budget for offense

$100 budget for defense

(IDP auction is first, and then I enter those results into the main league before the offensive auction begins)

Keep as many as you want. Inflation is 30% or $3, whichever is greater. 

Lineups:

2 QBs

2 WRs

2 RBs

1 TE

1 W/R

1 W/T

3 DB

3 DL

3 LB

1 D Flex

I've found this format forces many of the biggest stars back into the auction year after year, so the weakest teams can find themselves in a vicious cycle of needing to spend big to have studs year after year, but not really being able to "build something" that way. Best way to build is hitting on your rookie picks, stockpiling rookie picks to give yourself better odds of hitting on rookie picks, trading for young/cheap/under appreciated players before they break out, etc...

ive seen teams come from the absolute basement and compete the very next year due to smart trades, cap management, and drafting. I've also seen some teams get stacked and stay stacked for a few years. But eventually age and inflation catches up to everyone...the best owners are constantly tweaking and looking for young, emerging players who they can build around for years. There's tons of trading all season and offseason because the caps are set loosely enough that you can easily take on or shed salary depending on what you are trying to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread