What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2 San Diego police officers shot, 1 suspect in custody (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Two-Officers-Shot-in-Southcrest-Acacia-Grove-388626512.html

San Diego police have one suspect in custody and are searching for other possible suspect(s) still at-large following a late-night shooting that left two officers wounded. 

The shooting, which happened at approximately 11 p.m. Thursday, prompted a shelter-in-place for the area surrounding the 3800 block of Boston, the San Diego Police Department (SDPD) officials confirmed.

As of 12:50 a.m. Friday, police continue to search area surrounding the 3800 block of Boston with helicopters, SWAT vehicles and patrol cars. 

The officer's conditions are unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the officers is dead. This is exactly why so many officers approach people they pull over with such skepticism. You just never know. 

Just horrible.  1 died.  1 out of surgery. 

The suspect, described as an Hispanic male, was caught near the scene of the shooting and was taken to the hospital for a gunshot wound, police said.

Sources told NBC News that he and other suspects may belong to a local gang and there was no early indication that the officers were specifically targeted as in recent police ambush attacks in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-diego-police-shooting-one-officer-killed-one-surgery-n619571

So sad.  With this shooting, I believe we are now at roughly 100% more officer related shooting deaths YTD than at this point last year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A SWAT team surrounded a home Friday morning in pursuit of a possible second suspect linked to an earlier shooting that claimed the life of one San Diego police officer and seriously wounded a second, officials said.

The standoff began hours after the shooting, which occurred about a half-mile away in the city's Southcrest neighborhood late Thursday and prompted a massive search for other suspects.

The slain officer was named at a Friday morning news conference as Jonathan DeGuzman, a married father of two young children. The injured officer was identified as Wade Irwin, a nine-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-diego-police-shooting-one-officer-killed-one-surgery-n619571

Our dismay and outrage of this incident was pretty short-lived. I found this on page 5 just a day after it originated. Is it less of a big deal when it's a police officer? When it's in Southern California? Or are we just getting desensitized to this kind of news?

Our dismay and outrage of this incident was pretty short-lived. I found this on page 5 just a day after it originated. Is it less of a big deal when it's a police officer? When it's in Southern California? Or are we just getting desensitized to this kind of news?
I think there's a distinction between cops shot in line of duty and targeted assassination. 

I would say that it is the scope of the political intent and the desensitization accompanying it.

Users who are viewing this thread