What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Michters small batch any good ? $45
I don't think their small batch stuff is anything special but they are pretty good.  In line with other bottles around that price range but think you are paying a bit for name, which is true for most bottles at that price range.  Think some cheaper stuff is better but folks are still impressed with the name.  I do think the American Whiskey one is the best of the small batch line (they have four different bottles Bourbon, Rye, American Whiskey and Sour Mash).  I do buy that one which is basically Bourbon aged in used barrels and not new Oak barrels but other bottles I would pass for something else.  I did buy a bottle of the 10 year rye in a silent auction at a great price and it was excellent.  The 10 year stuff and older are all very expensive and very hard to find.   

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like the next guy thing I should become knowledgeable on.  Was looking at this thread when I had to buy bourbon for a gift exchange for my brother in law who got really into it after moving to Georgia.  Problem is I couldn't get into whisky or bourbon after having to drink lots of Old Crow in college.  Our fraternity was AXP, Alpha Chi Rho, "Crow", get it?  Its been 20 years so hopefully I'm over it at this point.

What's a good way to get started and sample and figure out differences and what I like without just buying lots of bourbon?  I'll look around for a bourbon sampling here but is there anything you can get online?  Cut it with water at first and step it up from there?  Need to get away from my Ralph Wiggum "it tastes like burning" phase.  TIA
Well it's been a couple years but now slowly working my way into things.  I bought a bourbon that my BIL liked and had been giving that a shot.  Didn't start with Jack and Cokes but instead have been doing Old Fashioneds.  Sugar cube, angostino bitters, dash of water, muddle, bourbon, orange peel.

Thought I was doing well with the Jefferson's but seems like its the equivalent of bourbon training wheels...

Jefferson’s Very Small Batch may very well be the definition of average bourbon. I can easily see myself pouring this for others who may just be starting off into their bourbon journey. This is because everything that experienced bourbon drinkers may dislike, the low proof and light yet discernible flavor profile, are exactly what those who don’t normally drink bourbon may appreciate.

For everyone else, “underwhelming” sums this bourbon up perfectly. The nose and palate deliver a pleasant yet simple start to the sip, however the finish ends on a completely unforgettable note. While this is common for many low proof bourbons, it’s still always disappointing to see. There's a time and place for this bourbon, but for the money I’d rather reach for many of the other fantastic bottles that play in this price range.
Any suggestions for the next bourbon step in the progression?...

Just finished a road trip from WV back down to TX and convinced the wife we should take a "slight" detour while passing through Kentucky.  Swung through the Willett distillery and did a curbside pickup for a 6-pack of their Estate Rye ... one of my faves, and hard to find down here.  They said they had a 5-year release coming soon, but wasn't "quite ready" hmmm ... maybe someone knows more about this?

Also while in WV I found a shop who just took delivery of Weller A107, so I snagged 3 of those since the contents of only bottle had mysteriously disappeared a few months ago.

Great trip! 🤣

Anyone had Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea?  I just ordered a bottle of the Very Small Batch on a recommendation.

Anyone had Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea?  I just ordered a bottle of the Very Small Batch on a recommendation.
It all depends on the Ocean.  Calm seas, and she's smooth. But if it gets a bit sporty, it's bitter pour you'll be havin'.

Kidding.  Total ridiculous gimmick. 

Sipping some knob creek cask strength rye tonight. Quite tasty.

Local shops have gotten several private barrels of 15yr 120proof knob creek bourbon for ~$50 as well. One in particular is fantastic. 

Have been considering doing another found of FBG blind sample testing from the collection. :unsure:  

Sipping some knob creek cask strength rye tonight. Quite tasty.

Local shops have gotten several private barrels of 15yr 120proof knob creek bourbon for ~$50 as well. One in particular is fantastic. 

Have been considering doing another found of FBG blind sample testing from the collection. :unsure:  
I’m so in! That was a blast last time!

I’m so in! That was a blast last time!
Right on. 

Any requests from folks?

Types of Stuff you wanna try?

Do another split samplers with regular and barrel proof? 

Any demand for a higher end sampler (WLW, Stagg, WFE, Dusties etc)? 

Right on. 

Any requests from folks?

Any demand for a higher end sampler (WLW, Stagg, WFE, etc)? 
I think a huge range would be great. A really low end, a high end, a rye, a heavy wheat or corn, some 80 proof, some 120 ish proof. Totally mix it up.

I think a huge range would be great. A really low end, a high end, a rye, a heavy wheat or corn, some 80 proof, some 120 ish proof. Totally mix it up.
Good option :thumbup:  

Do it blind with a survey again then reveal results after? 

Were 1oz pours okay or want 2oz pours (impacts price obviously)? 

Like before I wouldn't be doing this to make money and charging full secondary, would more or less recoup costs or so. 

Right on. 

Any requests from folks?

Any demand for a higher end sampler (WLW, Stagg, WFE, Dusties etc)? 
I still tell stories of the "cool guy on the internet who sent me bourbon samples". If I were younger, that might sound a little creepy.  :lmao:

I like the split samplers, high end samplers... Just the fact that you are willing to take the time to do it at all is pretty friggin awesome!  :thumbup:  I like @kutta's idea of a total variety as well. 

If you decide to do another round, I'm totally in!  :hifive:   :suds:

Like before I wouldn't be doing this to make money and charging full secondary, would more or less recoup costs or so. 
Honestly, I thought the 1 oz pours were just fine.

I agree with @top dog that one ounce was fine, but I did share it with a friend so 2 ounces would have been better. Or maybe we could “order” more than one sampler if we wanted to have buddies do it too?

Good deal! I just ordered 100 or so 1oz sample bottles. Could do doubles or something for folks who wanted to. 

I think my materials/shipping costs were around $9-10 per pack between bottles, envelope and postage. I'll check on that. 

Target ~5 bottles/samples per pack again? 

Thoughts on: 

Spectrum Sampler: 
Wide range of stuff. Bourbons, Ryes, maybe Japanese? Assorted proofs. Assorted distilleries. Most/all at least semi-rare to rare. 
Tentatively $30-40 range depending on what goes into it.

Top Shelf Sampler: 
Extremely rare/allocated stuff. These are $25 to 75 per pour at most any bar. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (WLW,GTS,THH), Willet Family Estate (old stuff from gift shop), Dusties from 70's/80's, "Pappy", etc.
Tentatively $70-90ish depending on what goes into it.

Bucket List Sampler: 
Popular allocated names like Blantons, Weller 12, Elmer T Lee, etc. Maybe a surprise mixed in. ;)  

Tentatively $40-50ish depending on what goes into it? 

Feedback on options? Price points? Packages? 

All sound good. Would prefer spectrum or bucket on the thought that at least if I fall in love I may be able to actually get a bottle of one of them on my own?

All sound good. Would prefer spectrum or bucket on the thought that at least if I fall in love I may be able to actually get a bottle of one of them on my own?
I can definitely ensure there are a few in there that can be found at retail without traversing Mordor and giving back room handies to liquor store managers. 

Good deal! I just ordered 100 or so 1oz sample bottles. Could do doubles or something for folks who wanted to. 

I think my materials/shipping costs were around $9-10 per pack between bottles, envelope and postage. I'll check on that. 

Thoughts on: 

Spectrum Sampler: 
Wide range of stuff. Bourbons, Ryes, maybe Japanese? Assorted proofs. Assorted distilleries. Most/all at least semi-rare to rare. 

Top Shelf Sampler: 
Extremely rare/allocated stuff. These are $25 to 75 per pour at most any bar. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (WLW,GTS,THH), Willet Family Estate (old stuff from gift shop), Dusties from 70's/80's, "Pappy", etc.

Bucket List Sampler: 
Popular allocated names like Blantons, Weller 12, Elmer T Lee, etc. Maybe a surprise mixed in. ;)  

I think your price points are fine. I like the top shelf one for sure, just not a blind taste test on that one. Would be better to know what you are tasting first. IMO. 

Love the spectrum one as well. Never had Japanese whisky and didn't know I would like ryes wo much if it weren't for this thread. Will give folks a try of stuff they wouldnt normally buy a bottle of. 

I think the bucket list one sounds like the sampler I got last time. I thought Eagle Rare was my favorite until I blind tasted Welller Antique.  :lol:

Thoughts on: 

Spectrum Sampler: 

Top Shelf Sampler: 

Bucket List Sampler: 

So in! Thanks for doing this again! I prefer the top shelf.

Picked up this bottle a couple weeks ago.  Reputed to be old Bernheim mash that had been aging at Stitzel-Weller. Could be a bunch of marketing BS but I got it at retail so I figured it's worth a shot.  Haven't tried it yet.

Rhetoric 25

In again for whatever icon is generous enough to donate his time to putting together. I also split the sharing with my wife (only a sip though!) so can see why 2oz could be preferred for others doing that. 1oz seemed enough for us though.

Users who are viewing this thread