What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

finally tried Blanton's last night.  damn that's good.
Haven't opened mine.... This might be a dumb question, but, is there a "right way" to opening the bottle?  You have those small tabs behind the horses rear legs.  Do you use those to break the seal?  Just didn't want to screw it up.

Haven't opened mine.... This might be a dumb question, but, is there a "right way" to opening the bottle?  You have those small tabs behind the horses rear legs.  Do you use those to break the seal?  Just didn't want to screw it up.
Yep.

Hard to screw it up.

Anyone here ever have any Blaum Brothers Old Fangled Knotter Bourbon?  Its fantastic and popularity has picked up major steam.  
Never heard of it but 10 year old cask strength bourbon is right in my wheelhouse.  One question though, how do they have 10 year old if they started in 2013? Did they buy already aged product for this bourbon?

Never heard of it but 10 year old cask strength bourbon is right in my wheelhouse.  One question though, how do they have 10 year old if they started in 2013? Did they buy already aged product for this bourbon?
They bought 8 year old mgp then continued to age it from what I understand.  They got the bottles in Indiana, so it’s MGP. “Knotter Bourbon” is a play on “not our bourbon”.   The 10 year that they link to when you go on your website was released a few years ago, their last few releases have been 12 years, and I read somewhere that the last one or two they did as well as any upcoming will be 13 year even though the label says 12

They bought 8 year old mgp then continued to age it from what I understand.  They got the bottles in Indiana, so it’s MGP. “Knotter Bourbon” is a play on “not our bourbon”.   The 10 year that they link to when you go on your website was released a few years ago, their last few releases have been 12 years, and I read somewhere that the last one or two they did as well as any upcoming will be 13 year even though the label says 12
That makes sense.  I'm normally not a fan of "distillers" that buy white liquor from MGP* and just age it and even less so those who buy already aged, but I do understand the catch 22 new distillers have with aged spirits.  I do like the way these guys have handled it up front-ish with the name. I didn't catch that. Most are far more deceptive.

*It's not just due to the deception part of it.  MGP is one of those huge agri-industrial business with questionable practices (most evident in safety) that just makes me a little queasy in general.

Had some ole Smokey mango habanero the other day. https://olesmoky.com/products/mango-habanero-flavored-whiskey

Not my cup of tea. But I'm guessing that's not what you meant. 
No. I don’t think I’d like that.

I’m really getting into the higher proof ryes. The ryes have a kind of spicy taste to them. 
I bought 10 bottles of Masterson’s 100 percent rye to give to my buddies for Christmas. That stuff is awesome.

MGP’s best stuff is there rye since it is one of the few places that historically did 95 percent rye. Most of the popular Ryes today got their start using MGP’s stuff (whistle pig, high west, rebel yell, etc.)

I'm against sketchy sourcing but MGP has proven to have made some seriously good whiskey. Their ryes are excellent but their older bourbons also were what founded brands like smooth ambler and high west, and are now very highly sought after. 

good thread - Holiday score - 

Woodford 123 proof bottle

Whistle Pig Straight Rye 15 yr old - Vermont Estate Oaked

Knob Creek single barrel 

Above will be my special occasion bottles for the year - my usual is Woodford Reserve and Bullet 

Also recd a cocktail shaker, old fashioned syrup and a variety pack of Woodford bitters flavors (Orange, Cherry, Chocolate) - whats the go to best recipe out there for an old fashioned?  

Knob Creek single barrel 

Above will be my special occasion bottles for the year - my usual is Woodford Reserve and Bullet 

Also recd a cocktail shaker, old fashioned syrup and a variety pack of Woodford bitters flavors (Orange, Cherry, Chocolate) - whats the go to best recipe out there for an old fashioned?  
Knob Single Barrel is consistently one of my favorite mid-shelf, sip or cocktail, versatile, typically higher proof, lots of flavor bourbons. Big fan. 

Just picked up a bottle of ER Private Barrel from the ABC Vault, now I have to wait for it to be shipped to my local store.  Hope to have for the Super Bowl

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$20 will get you Whistle Pig Boss Hog (Samurai or Mauve) or George Stagg.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

So, maybe eight samples for $100?  Interesting afternoon.

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

Weird. Not sure how this works but Weller 107. PVW 15, and Stagg (Sr, not Jr.) are a bargain combined tasting here.Boss Hogg a huge value for rye guys. Kentucky owl and Garrison are red herrings IMO but potentially some solid tastes here especially for charity.

Knob Creek single barrel 

Bourbon, simple and bitters  :shrug:

Weird. Not sure how this works but Weller 107. PVW 15, and Stagg (Sr, not Jr.) are a bargain combined tasting here.Boss Hogg a huge value for rye guys. Kentucky owl and Garrison are red herrings IMO but potentially some solid tastes here especially for charity.
Michrers ten is good deal as well. Can you get more than 1 in a category. 

I’m still slowly working my way through the bottle of Boss Hog (Mauve) my wife got me Father’s Day. It is absolutely amazing. I’d easily pay $20 for a swig of it, charity or not.

Been to a number of bourbon tastings.   After 3-4 it won`t matter.

lol - thought there were some spins on the usual....
It’s such a basic drink though that once you start tweaking it you enter another drink territory.  You could mess with some infusions or differing bitters I guess

cocktail codex is a good book that goes into the history of the drink and all the variations it spawned

Knob Creek single barrel 

I have posted this before in this site  but below is my recipe.  Simple the way it ought to be.

Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again (sugar will dissolve at this point). 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still slowly working my way through the bottle of Boss Hog (Mauve) my wife got me Father’s Day. It is absolutely amazing. I’d easily pay $20 for a swig of it, charity or not.
So it sounds like I could go with the Boss Hog (Mauve), Pappy 15, Stagg (Sr.) Weller 107 and Michter's 10 and be at $75.

Then go home and open this bottle of Eagle Rare because, at that point, it won't matter.

So it sounds like I could go with the Boss Hog (Mauve), Pappy 15, Stagg (Sr.) Weller 107 and Michter's 10 and be at $75.

Then go home and open this bottle of Eagle Rare because, at that point, it won't matter.
Sounds perfect!

And Eagle Rare is not a bad way to finish off the night at all...

Redwes25 said:
*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.
I'm a big fan of rye for manhattans, go back and forth on an old fashioned (really not my favorite drink anyway)...but for many whiskey cocktails that use bourbon, I find Old Grand-dad 114 to be great for standing up to flavors and not overly sweet. Love the Bulleit rye rec also - if I'm making a lot of a cocktail and not doing one craft one, I often use Bulleit Frontier bourbon as well for bourbon ones. It also has a very high rye mash for bourbons.

What do y'all think about New Riff?  Had it for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Thought it was tasty.

Oddly enough, the distillery is in Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincy (about 30 minutes from me) and I'd never had it.  Only tried it as a result of a recommendation from a dude in Louisville when I was in town to hit the bourbon trail.

What do y'all think about New Riff?  Had it for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Thought it was tasty.

Oddly enough, the distillery is in Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincy (about 30 minutes from me) and I'd never had it.  Only tried it as a result of a recommendation from a dude in Louisville when I was in town to hit the bourbon trail.
Good stuff. I'm just about through a bottle of the Single Barrel. Good sign that it's that tasty after only 4 years. Some great things to come from them.

I have posted this before in this site  but below is my recipe.  Simple the way it ought to be.

Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again (sugar will dissolve at this point). 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

Question - if I do this w/o the sugar (so, rye, bitters, orange twist), does that have a name?

Swap sugar for sweet vermouth and orange for cherry and you have a Manhattan.  Don't think what you proposed is a drink.  
Yeah I know about Manhattans.  Just wasn't sure if there was a name for basically an unsweetened OF.  I guess it's just "Rye with a couple dashes of bitters"

heckmanm said:
Yeah I know about Manhattans.  Just wasn't sure if there was a name for basically an unsweetened OF.  I guess it's just "Rye with a couple dashes of bitters"
Correct here. Never heard of a rye and bitter only drink. 

Good recipe but I muddle some cocktail cherries with the sugar and bitters. 

My beverage this evening - Black Manhattan

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond Bourbon

Averna Amaro

Fee Brothers (out of Rochester, NY) Aztec Chocolate Bitters

Luxardo maraschino cherry for garnish

Nice spicy winter warmer, like Cherry Coke but with a chocolate twist. The EW does just fine in this.

Lo Ryedr

2 oz Low Gap Rye

.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

.5 oz Punt e Mes

2 dashes Aztec Chocolate bitters

2 dashes Cherry Bitters

stir all ingredients with ice until chilled and serve in an up glass with a Luxardo Cherry

Lo Ryedr

2 oz Low Gap Rye

.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

.5 oz Punt e Mes

2 dashes Aztec Chocolate bitters

2 dashes Cherry Bitters

stir all ingredients with ice until chilled and serve in an up glass with a Luxardo Cherry
Every time I have a drink like this, or pretty much any whiskey drink, I always wish I was just drinking the whiskey and not all the other stuff. I’ve stopped making them and ordering them and just keep my drinking simple.

Every time I have a drink like this, or pretty much any whiskey drink, I always wish I was just drinking the whiskey and not all the other stuff. I’ve stopped making them and ordering them and just keep my drinking simple.
I love my rye neat but a Boulevardier or New Friend is a great thing

I love my bourbon neat but a Paper Plane is a great thing

I love my single malt scotch, especially from Islay, neat but a Penicillin is a great thing

A well balanced three or four ingredient cocktail is simple and delicious

Last edited by a moderator:
Jules Winnfield said:
I love my rye neat but a Boulevardier or New Friend is a great thing

I love my bourbon neat but a Paper Plane is a great thing

I love my single malt scotch, especially from Islay, neat but a Penicillin is a great thing

A well balanced three or four ingredient cocktail is simple and delicious
 I hear ya. And a Boulevardier is one of my favs. I just find myself more and more staying away from cocktails and sticking to a whiskey neat.

Users who are viewing this thread