What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I received two job offers today. (1 Viewer)

Which job should I take?

• Best Buy (Connected Sales Consultant)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • AT&T (Retail Sales Consultant)

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

Eminence

Footballguy
Hey smart dudes, you guys make better decisions than I do and I find myself in a pickle. I had two job interviews today one with Best Buy and one with AT&T (Authorized Retail Store). Both jobs offered $12.00 an hour with commission.

Best Buy:

$12.00 an hour ($1920)
+15% boost on hourly pay if the store hits its sales goal.
+30% boost on hourly pay if the store hits its sales goal.

$28,704 to $32,448 yearly

Melbourne, Florida
Urban area, diversity
Female boss

13 miles away from home.
Required to work Sundays or at least be "available".

Better longterm career prospects and salary.
No individual sales goals.

AT&T:

$12.00 an hour ($1920)
+$1,300 commission contingent on reaching sales goals.

$41,860 yearly
*no commission first three months.

Sebastian, Florida
Fishing Town
mobile homes, old people
male boss.

11 miles away from home.
Off on Sundays.

Better initial salary if sales goals are hit but limited growth potential.

AT&T Commission Manual

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that you felt the need to write "female boss" pretty much guarantees that you'd be fired within a week if you took the job at Best Buy.

Why not start your own business? I hear beepers/pagers are poised to make a big comeback. 

"Em's Beeper Warehouse" 

Do you currently have AT&T for cell phone provider?  You probably will get a good discount on their service 

At 24 you need to build work skills and gain experience.  I would assume there is more opportunity at best buy.  

Are you looking for a job or a career? If you're going to college with some kind of career in mind you should find a job that puts you on the ground floor of that career. Do some kind of bookkeeping job or something judging by what you seem to be aiming for.

With a degree...go to a temp place and do an accounting job.  Don't ####### work retail stupid.

Pizza Delivery, you're wasting you're time and the BB/AT&T, they will own your ### for $12 an hour, you'll never see a sliver of Commission and wait until they tell you they can't accommodate your college degree seeking schedule because they think they own you for $12 an hour.

I bet you could make more per hour being a bathroom "attendant" at a gay club. All you need is some hand moisturizer and some paraffin wax gloves for overnight use to keep your hands as soft as a teenagers colon. 

I thought you were going to USF - St Pete? Melbourne is way far from here. 

Not complaining, just wondering. 

Be an AT&T rep at the Best Buy store and get a sense of each for a few years, then you can begin to lean one way or the other. 

Probably the best way to make this important decision, good luck buddy :thumbup:

What are your thoughts about both of these?

I assume you are looking at a job to help put you through school. Take the job that pays better and is easier to work around your class schedule. This assumes that after you graduate you won't be working at one of these jobs. 

HTH

G'luck
AB

Neither job. Go bartend or Uber.

If you're going into accounting, sorry. Might as well go to temp agency ASAP for accounting position so you can then find another line of work..

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let them give you grief Em. Best Buy or AT&T? Clearly, your 3 years of experience in the Walgreen's electronics department selling watch batteries is paying off.

Congrats on both offers.   Nobody should be ashamed of any job.   I'm 37 years old--and my first job was helping a local business making $5 an hour under the table when I was 15 years old.   I'm fortunate to be doing very well now--and the reality is that everybody starts somewhere.   I'm certainly not going to make any recommendations on which job you should take--but I will comment on potential "longevity" of a career within a company.  One of my best friends started off being a salesperson at ATT and is now a manager of a nice ATT store in Southern California.   If you do well there--there is lots of room to move up and make more money.   With Best Buy--I think the biggest concern is the long term viability of a large electronic store when many people are purchasing their electronics online now.   If you look 5-10 years down the road--I have far more confidence in ATT being around more than I do Best Buy--but that's just a personal opinion.   Whatever you choose--I wish you success and prosperity.  

Take the Best Buy job.  If you do well and they send you to corporate for a meeting we can go out for beers when you're up here.

If you have no burning desire to get rich or get laid then go strap on your khakis and polo shirt and punch a time clock at Best Buy or AT&T. That is a "safe" path with "opportunity for advancement".

If you want to get laid then go get a job at a restaurant/bar. A high volume local place near the beach or college is ideal. A chain like Buffalo Wild Wings or Chili's/Applebee's/etc isn't bad. The service industry will teach you more about interacting with people, working under pressure, and hooking up with coworkers than a retail job.

If you want to make some coin and develop some actual skills then get a job in sales. Not bull#### retail sales, but actual cold calling, prospecting, presenting, and closing type sales. Car sales and insurance sales are easy to get into. Time share sales will drop your balls or chew you up and spit you out. Pick an industry. Find a mentor. Commit. Do whatever it takes. 

Taking the retail job will not hurt you, but a year from now you will have gained nothing but a line on your resume. Go find a job in a restaurant or sales and you will have some memories and lessons that stay with you forever.

I hope you are a real person after I took the time to type all this #### out on my phone.

Good luck!

fantasycurse42 said:
Why not start your own business? I hear beepers/pagers are poised to make a big comeback. 

"Em's Beeper Warehouse" 
I know this post was a joke, but getting a job at a cell phone kiosk in the mall would be a great option. Glamorous, hell no! Force you to develop approaching skills, closing skills, and resilience? Hell yes! As a bonus there would be a nonstop parade of girls all day long. You could make money and collect numbers all day every day. Just be sure to check the age of consent in FL.

(This advice is specifically for Em, not anyone else looking for a job)

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I bet you could make more per hour being a bathroom "attendant" at a gay club. All you need is some hand moisturizer and some paraffin wax gloves for overnight use to keep your hands as soft as a teenagers colon. 
:lmao:

Whichever bests allows you to pursue your ultimate goal.  Things are suppose to be hard while preparing for your career.  That is what keeps you motivated to pursue betterment.  Me, I shined shoes, swabbed urinals, cleaned floors, hauled and stacked bags of fertilizer, worked in an industrial laundry, worked in a pizza joint, shoveled horse #### and dug fence post holes in a swamp, and painted houses and worked construction.  The value, other than some coin in my pocket is that I knew I did not want to do those things.  Some of those jobs had me looking buff, some provided access to girls, all had decent coworkers to party with, but all kept me thinking that I best make it through school, intoxicated though I was. 

Students often lack, and fail to develop, a thorough comprehension of the multifaceted setting and complex environment of the accounting profession (The Pathways Commission, 2012). The need for students to develop attributes, preparations, and skills that accounting recruiters seek has placed a new pressure on educators and accounting students alike. The purpose of this research is to investigate what attributes, preparations, and skills are necessary to prepare students for employment in accounting. A survey was designed and administered to accounting professionals from two different groups: the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). The overall results indicate that the top five most important items for hiring entry-level accountants are personal attributes such as trustworthiness, dependability, oral communication skills, cleanliness, and punctuality. Based on these findings, it is evident that accounting programs should prepare graduates so that their qualities go beyond technical accounting skills and include attributes that prepare students as ethical citizens.
Ahadiat, N., & Martin, R. M. (2015). ATTRIBUTES, PREPARATIONS, AND SKILLS ACCOUNTING PROFESSIONALS SEEK IN COLLEGE GRADUATES FOR ENTRY-LEVEL POSITIONS VS. PROMOTION. Journal Of Business & Accounting, 8(1), 179-189. link

Osaurus said:
$12 an hour?  Seriously?
Maybe it's just me, but the fact that he's willing to work, regardless of salary, should be seen as a positive.

Not everyone on FBG is a millionaire. Crazy, I know...

I tell my 18 and 19 year old kids that their current job is not their lifelong career. Now is the time to find what you like, and don't like. My only request is that they don't quit a current job until they have a new one lined up. 

Em- take whichever job fits your needs right now. Keep your eye on the long term goal. 

You need to be looking for a job in your field. Even if it is a temporary position.

Users who are viewing this thread