What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (4 Viewers)

My son is looking to pursue engineering. If it makes the list, it would be the lowest ranked engineering program to which he applies, but we’ve heard really great things about the Honors College and it checks a couple other of his “like to have” criteria (good football team, warm climate).
As ranked by whom?  and for what type of engineering?  I always take these rankings with a grain of salt.  The elite schools have their place and always dominate these ranking lists, but there are always several schools that seem to get the shaft in these rankings that are every bit as good as some of those top tier schools in several areas.

As ranked by whom?  and for what type of engineering?  I always take these rankings with a grain of salt.  The elite schools have their place and always dominate these ranking lists, but there are always several schools that seem to get the shaft in these rankings that are every bit as good as some of those top tier schools in several areas.
Of course. That didn’t come out the way I meant it to. It was intended to be a compliment to Clemson and why it may end up making my son’s short list. 

Edited:  to remove a lot of unnecessary detail regarding my son’s college search. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular reason why you would focus on SAT over ACT?
Sort of basing it on my oldest. He did ACT prep and his SAT ended up being a touch better and he used that. I regret not doing SAT prep with him because It may have helped him a little more. In the end it didn’t matter much but that was my thought. My middle son isn’t as academic as my oldest so we’ll probably have him do some pre-tests in both and go from there, but I do regret a little. I still think he would have ended up at Clemson over UNC, he grew on the big fish in a little pond scenario.  

Sort of basing it on my oldest. He did ACT prep and his SAT ended up being a touch better and he used that. I regret not doing SAT prep with him because It may have helped him a little more. In the end it didn’t matter much but that was my thought. My middle son isn’t as academic as my oldest so we’ll probably have him do some pre-tests in both and go from there, but I do regret a little. I still think he would have ended up at Clemson over UNC, he grew on the big fish in a little pond scenario.  
We were advised to have our son do some general prep for both and take both early junior year. Then, based on the results of each test, you choose which one to really focus on for a retest. That’s what we did and ended up settling on the ACT as the test of choice for our son. 

Please update this thread on how your son ends up liking it. My son has a list of about 30 possible schools that he’s whittling down to about 8-10. Clemson Honors College is on the list. 
Will do. We loved the visit and my wife works for a very well known company that recruited there (she went a few times). Some of her colleagues have gone there and she’s hired kids from there. My son got the benefit of talking to some of those people and that helped him make his call. The last one he called chose between USC honors and Clemson honors just like my son and that clinched it. It’ll be more money, but still nothing close to the private schools.

ETA: In talking to some alumni who met the president, it sure seems like Clemson is really trying to go the path of Duke. Duke basketball really helped Duke jump from a good school to a top school and maybe football is what Clemson is trying to us to make a similar jump.

I probably can't/shouldn't give out too much info on the bolded, but I'll just say your theory and conclusion are generally correct.  How correct just depends on the demo of the private school in question.
Same here.  I work at a public university, which means our pricing model and financial architecture is totally different than privates, but I can tell you that many parents absolutely do put irrational weight on the size of a scholarship offer and irrationally little weight on net price.  

Same here.  I work at a public university, which means our pricing model and financial architecture is totally different than privates, but I can tell you that many parents absolutely do put irrational weight on the size of a scholarship offer and irrationally little weight on net price.  
So it's basically higher ed's version of retail's "how much you saved" focus. 

So it's basically higher ed's version of retail's "how much you saved" focus. 
Something like that.

To be clear, my university is a public school in a budget-conscious state that competes on price.  Obviously we don't want to describe ourselves as "cheap" but we offer "good value."   Like many publics, we don't do a huge amount of tuition discounting because we can't.  We're the car company that comes in with a low sticker price, but the sticker price is pretty much the price. 

We have a few regional competitors that are more aggressive in offering scholarships.  Here's a good example.  Nebraska is one of many schools that offers in-state tuition to high-achieving out-of-state students.  But it comes in the form of a $15K-per-year "scholarship" if your kid can crack 28 or so on the ACT.  Now, the net result is that their price gets down to exactly what in-state kids are paying, but it's a point of pride for parents to brag about the huge scholarship their kid got at a flagship university.  I know that that's irrational, but a lot of parents don't, in my experience.  (I say that as the parent of a kid who got the exact scholarship that I just described but opted for a different out-of-state school, where we got no-fanfare reciprocity).  

But yeah, universities are very aware that there are a lot parents out there who think that way, and they price accordingly.  Especially among privates, tuition discounting is essentially a form of first-degree price discrimination (google it).  I don't think anyone seriously disputes that.

I should chime in like a few others and mention how much I've enjoyed following this thread, for a bunch of reasons.  It's cool to see folks like bigbottom who I've i-known forever navigate this process.  Having kids go off to school is a huge adult right of passage.  I'm kind of fortunate in the sense that my son wanted to go a mega-university, and he fell in love with Minnesota on his first visit, particularly that it's right in the heart of MSP.  UM is a lot more selective than what I remember Big-Ten schools being when I applied to college, but his admission was never really in doubt.  My daughter -- who will be a HS senior next year -- is shakier academically and already has a school picked out well outside the Midwest.  So no hand-wringing over the really elite universities for me. 

But also, this is my industry. My own school doesn't have a competitive admissions process, but it's really interesting to learn how parents approach this process.

Will do. We loved the visit and my wife works for a very well known company that recruited there (she went a few times). Some of her colleagues have gone there and she’s hired kids from there. My son got the benefit of talking to some of those people and that helped him make his call. The last one he called chose between USC honors and Clemson honors just like my son and that clinched it. It’ll be more money, but still nothing close to the private schools.

ETA: In talking to some alumni who met the president, it sure seems like Clemson is really trying to go the path of Duke. Duke basketball really helped Duke jump from a good school to a top school and maybe football is what Clemson is trying to us to make a similar jump.
Not really. Duke was U.S. News' 6th ranked school in 1985, which was 6 years before its first basketball title. I agree, though, that Clemson's football success is helping to boost its prestige. 

Not really. Duke was U.S. News' 6th ranked school in 1985, which was 6 years before its first basketball title. I agree, though, that Clemson's football success is helping to boost its prestige. 
You may be correct. Funny that the year I recall is when I was looking at colleges and according to this site (https://publicuniversityhonors.com/2017/09/13/u-s-news-rankings-for-57-leading-universities-1983-2007/) they were 12th. I remembered them in the top 20, but not the top 10.

Looking at that page a little more, I am not certain those rankings are 100% accurate early on. UNC was ranked top 10 early and then pretty much in the 20s the rest of the time. I don't recall them every being considered a top 10 university. It looks like the early rankings appear to be missing a lot of schools. I'm going off memory, but I don't recall them being in the top 10 like they are now. Also, when I say "good" school, I don't mean they weren't top 20, just don't remember the top 10 they are now and the late 80s were when they were in the Final Four many years almost in a row through 94.

Good luck on the additional funds. It can't hurt to ask.

As I've told you before, I think very highly of Dickinson. The kids seem to have a great time and there's a strong alumni network that helps when it comes to job hunting. My sisters (twins) are going back for their 25th Reunion next month and I'm close friends with a couple of professors who are great scholars but also great teachers (they invite their classes over to their house for dinner, and one of them had an advisee who just won a Marshall Scholarship).

Let us know how it turns out.
With just 3 business days remaining, my daughter finally got the results of her scholarship appeal from Dickinson. They increased her merit scholarship offer from $15k per year to $20k per year (the max they offer). So happy to see all of her hard work paying off.  :pickle:

Dickinson has been her first choice school throughout the entire process. She knew she qualified for both the $15k and $20k when she applied. She decided that if she got the $20k offer, she would commit to Dickinson right away, if she got the $15k, she would appeal and re-visit 3 other schools (Villanova, Dusquesne, JMU) before making her decision. She got the $15k, so we re-visited the other schools. Afterwards, she was more sure than ever that she wanted to go to Dickinson.

I still remember when her counselor told us that scholarships were negotiable. I had no idea. That little tidbit of advice (and help from @The_Man and google crafting the email) is basically saving us/her $20k over the next 4 years!  :thumbup:

Congrats and thanks to all the others in the thread. I've learned a lot and have another one in HS yet to go. 

With just 3 business days remaining, my daughter finally got the results of her scholarship appeal from Dickinson. They increased her merit scholarship offer from $15k per year to $20k per year (the max they offer). So happy to see all of her hard work paying off.  :pickle:

Dickinson has been her first choice school throughout the entire process. She knew she qualified for both the $15k and $20k when she applied. She decided that if she got the $20k offer, she would commit to Dickinson right away, if she got the $15k, she would appeal and re-visit 3 other schools (Villanova, Dusquesne, JMU) before making her decision. She got the $15k, so we re-visited the other schools. Afterwards, she was more sure than ever that she wanted to go to Dickinson.

I still remember when her counselor told us that scholarships were negotiable. I had no idea. That little tidbit of advice (and help from @The_Man and google crafting the email) is basically saving us/her $20k over the next 4 years!  :thumbup:

Congrats and thanks to all the others in the thread. I've learned a lot and have another one in HS yet to go. 
Congrats to your family! Just love reading posts like this.

That's great! Any idea yet what she wants to study? If/when it becomes appropriate, I can e-connect her with my faculty friends there (one in English, one in American Studies/History). We're actually hanging out tomorrow in Baltimore. And I will connect you with the best microbrew options around Carlisle.

So happy that she's going to the school she liked most. Kids who go there seem to love it.

The new leader on the kid's list is Macalester.  Wow, we had a great time on our visit and were really impressed with their pitch.  We've visited about 10 selective liberal arts schools with about 2000-3000 students, heard a lot of the same stuff.  Mac really stood out talking about where their students are from, how they grow while at Mac, and what they do afterwards.  Dug the language houses and study-away programs.  Plus, the campus location checks a lot of boxes for the kid: in a really cool neighborhood in St Paul, 10 minutes from the Minnesota State Capitol (the Political Science major there requires an internship at the capitol to graduate) and downtown St Paul, 15 minutes from downtown Minneapolis.  And visiting while there wasn't snow on the ground reminded me of how much I enjoyed living in Minneapolis and how fond I still am of the Cities and the people there.

I have heard so many great things about this school. Liberal arts schools in an urban setting are so hard to find and Mac seems to do it better than just about anyone. My younger kid is finishing sophomore year in high school and we're really interested in checking it out, but it is just so far from us in Maryland. We'll visit some local liberal arts schools first and see if he's interested in that size before making the long trek - my older kid had such a strong negative reaction to just about every liberal arts campus we visited that it made it easy to cross them all off the list and focus on bigger schools. My neighbor's kid went to Mac, loved it, got a grad degree at U of Minnesota, landed a great job out there, and is never moving back. 

That's great! Any idea yet what she wants to study? If/when it becomes appropriate, I can e-connect her with my faculty friends there (one in English, one in American Studies/History). We're actually hanging out tomorrow in Baltimore. And I will connect you with the best microbrew options around Carlisle.

So happy that she's going to the school she liked most. Kids who go there seem to love it.
She plans to major in Bio-Chem and minor in Music. Any connections appreciated! I've read nothing but great things about the faculty there.

They said there are like 5 breweries in town, so I look forward to trying them out!  :banned:

Minnesota has that effect on people.  I went to high school there, over 90% of my class went to college, about half of that out-of-state, and it's remarkable how many of them moved back to MSP after college or later in life.  If the kid ends up at Mac, my wife and I would seriously consider moving back.  We still have a lot of friends there and enjoyed our time there a lot.
But it is a long way from Maryland.  I've traveled by van from MSP to DC, and it was a grind with an overnight stay in Ohio.

The kid got their first ACT score back.  34 Composite.  Should be enough for Macalester and Williams.  Probably median for Yale (JFC those schools are tough to get into now).  Will go ahead and take the SAT since already registered for it.  Doesn't seem too interested in retaking the ACT just to go for the 36, and it would be nice to do junior year without having ACT/SAT adding to the pressure.  Still want to visit Swarthmore & Bryn Mawr in Philly, and Columbia & Sarah Lawrence as an excuse to go to NYC.  Might take a look at Northwestern - kid loves Chicago but didn't like U of Chicago (there was an intensity about the students that rubbed the kid the wrong way; way too competitive).              
34 is likely a good number for Macalaster. However, Williams is a different stratosphere in terms of selectivity.

34 is likely a good number for Macalaster. However, Williams is a different stratosphere in terms of selectivity.
yeah, Williams has gone from highly selective to basically almost being a poor mans Ivey now.   The competition there is ridiculous.  A 34 means you need an almost flawless rest of your application and then probably need to go ED to get a better chance.   Any other chinks in the app and/or applying regular decision lowers the chances dramatically.

yeah, Williams has gone from highly selective to basically almost being a poor mans Ivey now.   The competition there is ridiculous.  A 34 means you need an almost flawless rest of your application and then probably need to go ED to get a better chance.   Any other chinks in the app and/or applying regular decision lowers the chances dramatically.
Just from this thread, I went from thinking that my son's ACT score would likely make him competitive at any school by looking at the ACT median and 25th-75th ranges, to realizing that he stands little to no chance at the most selective schools once I realized that the those averages take into account underrepresented minorities, athletes and legacies.  I think it was The Man's Princeton analysis upthread.  Sort of a bummer, but definitely good to know.

Williams is a smaller school and is as good as an Ivy in my experience. I grew up in CT/MA and Williams and Amherst are generally considered two of the best schools in the country for smaller liberal arts schools. They might be more competitive than Brown and Cornell and Dartmouth to get into, even. 

Thanks.  I deleted the entire post because it was so obviously inaccurate.  
don't feel bad.   Every single parent googles what is the ACT average for school X and then compares.  The problem is that the sites never really explain that if you are at around the average, you are likely not getting in.

Williams is a smaller school and is as good as an Ivy in my experience. I grew up in CT/MA and Williams and Amherst are generally considered two of the best schools in the country for smaller liberal arts schools. They might be more competitive than Brown and Cornell and Dartmouth to get into, even. 
The quality of education Williams students receive is undoubtedly as good as that at an Ivy League school (if not better, because of the personal attention). But the admissions isn't quite as cut-throat for liberal arts colleges as it is for the Top 15 or so universities. Liberal arts applicants are a self-selecting group of kids, so those colleges don't generate the huge number of applications that bigger schools do. In a process that's gotten so crazy, I feel like applying ED to a liberal arts school is the last vestige of any kind of predictability. If you have the stats and apply ED to a liberal arts school, you still have at least a reasonable shot at getting accepted - not like the total crap shoot it is for Ivies and their peers. And once you go RD at a liberal arts school, you're right back in the unpredictable pool with everyone else.

Williams hasn't released its numbers for this year yet, but last year their ED accept numbers were 258 of 748 = 34.5%. RD accept rate was 11.1%, with an overall accept rate of 13%. By comparison, Brown's overall accept rate this year was 6.6% and Dartmouth was 7.9.

Middlebury's ED accept rate was right around 50%. These schools know they appeal to a select kind of kid so they're eager to use ED to lock in the kids who want to be there. I also daresay that full pay combined with ED is a very attractive combination to the liberal arts schools. Some admit it (like Wesleyan which is "need aware") while others claim to be need blind, but I've seen it make a difference - but, again, only if you meet the numbers they're looking for. 

I'd have him take the SAT and then compare to the ACT 34. A 34 concords with a 1500 SAT. If the SAT is as high as 1530 or 1540, that's like a 35 ACT and there's no reason to take either again. If it's lower than that, throw it out. If it's the same, you might consider prepping for whichever one of the 2 he liked better and giving it one more shot - but only if you're thinking about applying to highly selective schools. And if you are applying to those schools, you might be better off sticking with the 34 (which is excellent) and figuring out a strategy for prepping and taking a couple of SAT II exams. 

Thanks.  I deleted the entire post because it was so obviously inaccurate.  
I'll just be lurking in this thread going forward.  There's so much to keep track of and so much at stake, I don't want to confuse anybody.  Sorry for anyone I misled.  It wasn't intentional.
No worries at all.  The landscape is changing very quickly.  I have a lot of knowledge in this space so I chime in where I have something to add.

Just from this thread, I went from thinking that my son's ACT score would likely make him competitive at any school by looking at the ACT median and 25th-75th ranges, to realizing that he stands little to no chance at the most selective schools once I realized that the those averages take into account underrepresented minorities, athletes and legacies.  I think it was The Man's Princeton analysis upthread.  Sort of a bummer, but definitely good to know.
I lived it brother  :hifive:

My daughter goes to Williams. Took the ride on Easter weekend ,  125 miles from my home ,  3 hours with no traffic  :wall:

Congrats to your daughter and you. Great school.

The long and winding road, huh? 
Great school, horrible ride. She really ended up there by luck. Wasn’t a great HS student but has become an exceptional student while at Williams

to think my wife’s school, Merrimack , turned her down :lol:

My daughter (finishing up sophomore year now) wanted nothing to do with small liberal arts schools during her search, and my wife and I had very little experience with them.  It turns out that during visits with my son (h.s. junior), those are the schools that he is drawn to the most so far, so it's been a very different experience with our second go-around.

We just visited Amherst and Williams a couple weeks ago.  He liked Amherst a lot, but Williams just felt too remote for him.  Having some other nearby towns and a big university like UMass Amherst next door really made a difference in how he felt about Amherst.

He liked Swarthmore a lot as well, and that might be his top choice at the moment.  He was a little less impressed by Haverford, though.  It's funny how the general feel of a college can be so different even if they seem like they should be so similar.

I really, really hate the reality of the ED advantage right now.  My daughter knew where she wanted to go, so she took advantage of it and it served her well, but my son is a different kind of kid.  I don't think he's going to be so sure about one place that he's going to want to apply early anywhere. 

My daughter (finishing up sophomore year now) wanted nothing to do with small liberal arts schools during her search, and my wife and I had very little experience with them.  It turns out that during visits with my son (h.s. junior), those are the schools that he is drawn to the most so far, so it's been a very different experience with our second go-around.

We just visited Amherst and Williams a couple weeks ago.  He liked Amherst a lot, but Williams just felt too remote for him.  Having some other nearby towns and a big university like UMass Amherst next door really made a difference in how he felt about Amherst.

He liked Swarthmore a lot as well, and that might be his top choice at the moment.  He was a little less impressed by Haverford, though.  It's funny how the general feel of a college can be so different even if they seem like they should be so similar.

I really, really hate the reality of the ED advantage right now.  My daughter knew where she wanted to go, so she took advantage of it and it served her well, but my son is a different kind of kid.  I don't think he's going to be so sure about one place that he's going to want to apply early anywhere. 
the good news here is that if your son is looking at those type schools, he is very likely a VERY strong male student.  Competition at these liberal art schools for girls is very difficult but if he is a top male student, he is likely to be coveted by these schools so the ED issue might slightly be reduced.

Great school, horrible ride. She really ended up there by luck. Wasn’t a great HS student but has become an exceptional student while at Williams

to think my wife’s school, Merrimack , turned her down :lol:
is there more to this story?  

How did she get into Williams by not being a great HS student?

How did she get into Williams but not Merrimack (which is three or four tiers lower at least than Williams for selectivity).

Williams has a 13% acceptance rate.  Merrimack has an acceptance rate in the 80% range.

This is one the more amazing posts in a thread full of fun stories :)

the good news here is that if your son is looking at those type schools, he is very likely a VERY strong male student.  Competition at these liberal art schools for girls is very difficult but if he is a top male student, he is likely to be coveted by these schools so the ED issue might slightly be reduced.
Thanks.  That's something I had not heard before.

Thanks.  That's something I had not heard before.
This is the general theory.

1) girls have significantly better applications than boys, in general

2) girls are expected to have near flawless 4 years in high school for the highly selective schools (tier two's)

3) since most colleges fight for diversity in their student bodies, boys with slightly weaker applications can sometimes jump ahead of a girl with a slightly stronger app

4) a boy who has a strong 4 years in high school puts him in good striking distance of the tier two selectivity schools (the group that sits below the ivey's, MIT etc)

5) more girls than boys apply to liberal art schools so a great male student is very coveted by these type of schools

these statements above are clearly generalizations but can give you a very rough idea of flow.

Or not...she's in at CMC!!! :excited:
So ... is she going? 

Going from across the street to across the country! Congrats to her. She deserves it and whatever decision she makes, it's great for her to feel rewarded for all her hard work.

So ... is she going? 

Going from across the street to across the country! Congrats to her. She deserves it and whatever decision she makes, it's great for her to feel rewarded for all her hard work.
Yup, unless she gets into Vandy or Northwestern she's going, sight unseen. Before we realized she had to commit w/in 48 hours my wife was looking into flights to get out there with her this weekend to check it out but that ain't happening. Not ideal but she is all-in, no hesitation whatsoever.

Mixed emotions for me. Thinking back to Dec when she got into BC early and narrowed her RD list to nothing but reach schools, and I think I stated this earlier in the thread, this was my nightmare scenario - getting into BC, CMC and nowhere else. I thought we'd dodged that bullet as all of the statistics told us that of the three where she was waitlisted she was least likely to get off it at CMC (they took one person off waitlist in 2017). But now that its come to pass and seeing how happy she is all reservations are out the window, and the more I read about CMC the more I think it might just be the best place for her. Fingers crossed we get one more bit of good news but if not we're in a happy spot.  

Yup, unless she gets into Vandy or Northwestern she's going, sight unseen. Before we realized she had to commit w/in 48 hours my wife was looking into flights to get out there with her this weekend to check it out but that ain't happening. Not ideal but she is all-in, no hesitation whatsoever.

Mixed emotions for me. Thinking back to Dec when she got into BC early and narrowed her RD list to nothing but reach schools, and I think I stated this earlier in the thread, this was my nightmare scenario - getting into BC, CMC and nowhere else. I thought we'd dodged that bullet as all of the statistics told us that of the three where she was waitlisted she was least likely to get off it at CMC (they took one person off waitlist in 2017). But now that its come to pass and seeing how happy she is all reservations are out the window, and the more I read about CMC the more I think it might just be the best place for her. Fingers crossed we get one more bit of good news but if not we're in a happy spot.  
CMC is a fantastic school and a great environment with all the Claremont Colleges.  Plus, you get to visit her in sunny California!  So stoked for her.

CMC vs OU was my toughest decision in high school. Ultimately it came down to $$$ (which has worked out, in hindsight), but CMC seemed awesome. I have since made a couple of my closest friends who went there in undergrad, and it only reinforced that I didn't have a bad option.

I think people basically never leave the 5 campuses area, each school seems to go to the others' parties and such, and there's a very high % of the students who seemed to be involved in a sport one way or another (D3 - I was going to play basketball/sit on the bench of a basketball team and practice basketball more likely) FWIW to your daughter. My friends from there have really tight relationships with a small circle of their classmates, which I think is a fantastic outcome that seems to be encouraged more there one way or another (maybe its just the environment?). 

Anyway - long way to say Congrats! If she can find a way to pay for it, it will be awesome.

It doesn't hurt to ask about depositing on Monday and flying out this weekend to see CMC.  Its not unreasonable to request it and many people do ask.  The worst they can say is no.

Just make sure you have your deposit in at BC today, in case she doesn't like CMC.  (That BC deposit will likely not be refunded.)

It doesn't hurt to ask about depositing on Monday and flying out this weekend to see CMC.  Its not unreasonable to request it and many people do ask.  The worst they can say is no.

Just make sure you have your deposit in at BC today, in case she doesn't like CMC.  (That BC deposit will likely not be refunded.)
We put the BC deposit down weeks ago, did not think it possible she'd get off a waitlist prior to May 1. 

If I thought there was any chance she'd stick with BC after visiting CMC we'd ask for the extension but I think we'll just save the $3K or whatever it would cost for the weekend trip, put another $500 deposit down for CMC and be willing to lose that if one of the others turns around for her.

I also want to mention how much I appreciate the genuine interest everyone in this thread has for each other, and their kids, through the highs and lows of this process. Bunch of strangers giving a crap about where my daughter goes to school, and her happiness in general...pretty neat place. :thumbup:

We put the BC deposit down weeks ago, did not think it possible she'd get off a waitlist prior to May 1. 

If I thought there was any chance she'd stick with BC after visiting CMC we'd ask for the extension but I think we'll just save the $3K or whatever it would cost for the weekend trip, put another $500 deposit down for CMC and be willing to lose that if one of the others turns around for her.

I also want to mention how much I appreciate the genuine interest everyone in this thread has for each other, and their kids, through the highs and lows of this process. Bunch of strangers giving a crap about where my daughter goes to school, and her happiness in general...pretty neat place. :thumbup:
Just so you are aware, depositing at two schools is really against the rules.  If you do it and get caught, you are playing with fire because the schools could both revoke their decisions.  I'll admit its very unlikely they will find out and I doubt CMC and BC will share lists of names of enrolled students, but you should be aware.

All that being said, it will come to bare soon, when your high school asks where to send the final transcript.  HS's will generally only send the final transcript to one university, so you'll need to finalize that decision before then.

Just so you are aware, depositing at two schools is really against the rules.  If you do it and get caught, you are playing with fire because the schools could both revoke their decisions.  I'll admit its very unlikely they will find out and I doubt CMC and BC will share lists of names of enrolled students, but you should be aware.

All that being said, it will come to bare soon, when your high school asks where to send the final transcript.  HS's will generally only send the final transcript to one university, so you'll need to finalize that decision before then.
To clarify, we're withdrawing the BC commitment and forfeiting the $500 we gave them already, knowing we can only hold one spot at a time.

As Nigel points out, putting down double deposits is wrong. But abandoning a deposit at one schools to accept admission off another school's waitlist is common practice. Schools account for a bit of "melt" during this process and are either slightly overfilled until the melt happens, or will themselves go to their wait lists and grab someone from another school to make up for the lost enrollment. 

The_Man said:
As Nigel points out, putting down double deposits is wrong. But abandoning a deposit at one schools to accept admission off another school's waitlist is common practice. Schools account for a bit of "melt" during this process and are either slightly overfilled until the melt happens, or will themselves go to their wait lists and grab someone from another school to make up for the lost enrollment. 
Absolutely understand the system.  Making sure Nigel knew the risks.  🙂

End of semester moving tip: choose Enterprise Truck Rental (cargo van for me) over U-Haul. With the free unlimited miles, my 600 mile Maryland to NC round trip will run me about $93. Similar U-Haul vehicle has a $0.79 a mile charge unless I'm missing something. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread