Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

College Admissions Questions

Recommended Posts

On 2/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, NewlyRetired said:

you absolutely can negotiate as there is literally nothing to lose.  Just keep expectations in check (and if you are looking for just $2k more, you are fine in that regards).

I believe it is fine (and generally expected) that you the parent will be the point of contact.

It is said it is better to do this in writing and to send it to the admissions office.  Since it is done in writing, you can choose who you want to sign it, be it you or your daughter.

You want to make it absolutely clear that your child will attend if the gap can be closed.

Make it seem personal.  Mention something very specific about the school that the child likes (major, etc).

and most importantly, congrats!!!!!!

 

Thank you all very much for the advice - I have two more in the chute, so I will be sure to pop in before the 11th hour in the future!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 10:02 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Senior has been accepted to 2 of the 4 schools he applied.  He missed something at one of the schools, and decided to take it off his list anyway (it was his fourth choice anyway).  His three schools to decide betwee:

Choice #1 - not accepted yet.  Not his favorite school, but has a chance to play baseball (will be as expensive as choice #2).

Choice #2 - Accepted.  Private school, expensive, we don't qualify for much aid, so he'll be graduating with a lot of debt.

Choice #3 - Accepted, public, haven't heard any aid package yet, but full sticker price is less than choice #2 (probably what we'll end up paying).  We could bust our butts and he could get out with minimal debt.

 

I hate to tell him than money is the deciding factor, and want him to get the best experience he can get.  On the other hand, he's going to have fun in college no matter where it is, and in four years he's going to be a lot happier not having all that debt weighing him down.

Update, son has been accepted to all of his top three choices now.  However, his choice #1 school (where he could play baseball) has since told him they are no longer interested in him for baseball.  I assumed that would mean that #1 is off his list as when we did the tour he didn't like the campus (its in the middle of a metro area, so other than the few blocks it takes up, it is surrounded by a metro area).  But, he was comparing the out of pocket costs between choice 1 and choice 2.  Choice 1 is more expensive, but he's still considering it.  I'm lost now as it appears his line of thinking changes daily, and he doesn't communicate when and why he changes his mind.  Ugh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

Update, son has been accepted to all of his top three choices now.  However, his choice #1 school (where he could play baseball) has since told him they are no longer interested in him for baseball.  I assumed that would mean that #1 is off his list as when we did the tour he didn't like the campus (its in the middle of a metro area, so other than the few blocks it takes up, it is surrounded by a metro area).  But, he was comparing the out of pocket costs between choice 1 and choice 2.  Choice 1 is more expensive, but he's still considering it.  I'm lost now as it appears his line of thinking changes daily, and he doesn't communicate when and why he changes his mind.  Ugh.

A teenager being indecisive?  Get out of here!  Seriously, congrats to your son on the admissions.  I’m sure you all will get it figured out. One thing we did early in the process when there were 30+ schools under consideration was for my son to identify key criteria and what his preference was with respect to each criterion (big city vs. college town, cold climate vs. warm, good football team vs. bad or no football team, etc.). there was also data like 4-year graduation rate, the reported ability to switch majors, reputation of major, overall school reputation, etc.  And then we put it all in a spreadsheet where you could weight criteria and do some data analysis (that would be overkill with three schools, but you get it).  Talking through all the various things he is looking for in a school, even at this point (and without all the ridiculous data analytics) could be a very helpful discussion to work through what I’m sure feels like a very monumental decision. 

Edit to add:  I’m sure you’ve had these discussions with your son and this is nothing particularly insightful. But sometimes sitting down and making a list of all the variables is a useful exercise. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

A teenager being indecisive?  Get out of here!  Seriously, congrats to your son on the admissions.  I’m sure you all will get it figured out. One thing we did early in the process when there were 30+ schools under consideration was for my son to identify key criteria and what his preference was with respect to each criterion (big city vs. college town, cold climate vs. warm, good football team vs. bad or no football team, etc.). there was also data like 4-year graduation rate, the reported ability to switch majors, reputation of major, overall school reputation, etc.  And then we put it all in a spreadsheet where you could weight criteria and do some data analysis (that would be overkill with three schools, but you get it).  Talking through all the various things he is looking for in a school, even at this point (and without all the ridiculous data analytics) could be a very helpful discussion to work through what I’m sure feels like a very monumental decision. 

Agreed a spreadsheet is overkill for three schools, but also agree the same analysis needs to be done.

Choice 2 and 3 are incredibly similar, other than 2 is smaller (his first qualification was a small school) and 3 is cheaper.  1 is still small, but a totally different campus.  I know he will have a good college experience no matter where he goes.  However, knowing what I know and seeing what my wife did (went to a super expensive school (at the time) for an education degree, and to stay home for many years when the kids were young) I don't want him to make the same mistake of getting an expensive education for a career that won't pay a lot.  I don't want to "force" him in to that decision as I know that will mean he will just resist it instead of considering it.

His goal is education, with the side benefit/goal of wanting to be a high school basketball coach.  He wants to see what he can do to reach out to the basketball coach to see if he can be a manager, or whatever, with the goal of getting some basketball education to further that goal.  While that is theoretically an option at each of his choices, the cheap option has another benefit.  There is  a kid there he played basketball with in high school who is currently the starting point guard.  First, he worshiped this kid and I would think that would be a draw. But, 2, he already has an in and referral to get in with the basketball coach.  Seems obvious to me but he's not seeing it.  :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

A teenager being indecisive?  Get out of here!  Seriously, congrats to your son on the admissions.  I’m sure you all will get it figured out. One thing we did early in the process when there were 30+ schools under consideration was for my son to identify key criteria and what his preference was with respect to each criterion (big city vs. college town, cold climate vs. warm, good football team vs. bad or no football team, etc.).  And then we put it all in a spreadsheet where you could weight criteria and do some data analysis (that would be overkill with three schools, but you get it).  Talking through the things he is looking for in a school, even at this point, could be a very helpful discussion to work through what I’m sure feels like a very monumental decision. 

It still won’t matter, LOL. Good to talk stuff through but even then it took weeks of pestering to get my son to finally admit what we knew all along. Still glad he thought a lot about the costs even though we told him not to worry. Just makes me realize that he’ll likely be the smart money one who helps out his brothers. I just need to get my 15 year old to marry for money! The other two will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, bigbottom said:

Okay, had some time to kill and thought I’d browse the College Confidential forums to see what I could learn regarding timing on the rolling admissions schools you referenced. The schools you listed were:  Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee.  Your son is already accepted to Ohio State and South Carolina.  It also sounds like he’s been accepted at Central Florida as you are currently engaged in the scholarship review process.

As noted above, BC, BU and Bentley are not rolling admissions schools, and regular decision notifications have not gone out yet. That leaves Washington and Lee and Florida.

Washington and Lee has a stated  notification deadline of April 1 for regular decision applicants. Per College Confidential (CC), last year, notifications for regular decision applicants went out on March 22nd. It does not appear that any of this year’s RD applicants have received decisions yet  

At Florida, if your son applied by November 1, he will receive his decision on February 28 at 6pm Eastern (just a few days away). If he applied after November 1, decisions will be released on March 27 at 6pm. 

Hope that is helpful. But I don’t think that any of the schools listed that you are waiting on are rolling admissions schools. Are there others you didn’t list?

Thanks for taking the time to come up with those dates. There may be a couple of schools I am missing. The list of potential schools under consideration was pretty lengthy . . . not entirely sure what ones made the final cut (I know some that were once high on the list got crossed off last minute). Part of the challenge is he no longer has a first choice. It's mostly going to come down to which school offers the best package and which school would cost the least to go to. Initially he really wanted to go to a warm climate school, but the added cost as an out of state student at a public school combined with limited scholarship dollars for out of staters may make that too costly. He also migrated to much closer schools the longer the process played out. I think he wants to be around some of his friends . . . most of which are staying either local or in New England. So we are essentially in a holding pattern for another month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

His goal is education, with the side benefit/goal of wanting to be a high school basketball coach.  He wants to see what he can do to reach out to the basketball coach to see if he can be a manager, or whatever, with the goal of getting some basketball education to further that goal.  While that is theoretically an option at each of his choices, the cheap option has another benefit.  There is  a kid there he played basketball with in high school who is currently the starting point guard.  First, he worshiped this kid and I would think that would be a draw. But, 2, he already has an in and referral to get in with the basketball coach.  Seems obvious to me but he's not seeing it.  :shrug: 

If he wants to talk to someone about this, feel free to PM me. I coached college basketball as a G.A. for two years with a Power 5 program. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 2:12 PM, Sweet Love said:

My daughter got into her first choice, American University (ED2), and got a pretty decent chunk of change for a merit scholarship, so I am quite proud (and happy for her).  She still has some anxiety about going away, but hopefully that will begin to dissipate.  She did receive $2k more from another college (early action), and I am wondering whether we can negotiate with American to see whether they would match, and if so, who would you contact, and would it be me (the guy paying the bills) or my daughter (the student)?

Congratulations! It's still early days for us (son is a junior) but so far American is the only school he's definitely applying to. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but our Pittsburgh trip ended up ruling out both Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. That morsel of info cost us about $500 - hotel, gas and tolls, meals.

We had our first meeting with his college counselor yesterday, went pretty well. Kid goes to a very progressive private school that doesn't have class rank, academic awards (like Headmaster's List) or AP courses - though a lot of kids will take AP exams at the end of junior year to burnish their academic profile. So I had absolutely no idea where he stacked up - overall unweighted GPA is an A- but I had no idea if that was good, medium or bad. Turns out it's pretty good, but not great, particularly because as a humanities-focused kid, he hasn't taken the accelerated Math/Science track which is apparently the only way (other than self-studying and taking APs) a kid at this school can set himself apart. 

So coming from that kind of progressive, every-kid-is-special kind of institution, I was pleasantly surprised at the counselor's pragmatic assessment of his chances. She said if he scores around a 1400 SAT (which should be possible based on PSAT) then he should generally expect to rule out schools that accept <20% of applicants, reach in the 20-30% range, match in 30-40%, and likely at schools with admit rates higher than that. 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

Anyone know anything about University of Rochester or Macalester? Those were a couple of city schools the counselor mentioned. Macalester seems really good but maybe too small (and far from home). We need to figure out Boston, too. My wife was born and raised there and my mother-in-law still lives there so both my kids felt it was a little too familiar. But Northeastern and BU seem like reasonable targets, and maybe even Brandeis. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Man said:

 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

Anyone know anything about University of Rochester or Macalester? Those were a couple of city schools the counselor mentioned. Macalester seems really good but maybe too small (and far from home). We need to figure out Boston, too. My wife was born and raised there and my mother-in-law still lives there so both my kids felt it was a little too familiar. But Northeastern and BU seem like reasonable targets, and maybe even Brandeis

Fwiw, Brandeis is not a "city school" like BU or Northeastern.  Brandeis is located in Waltham, MA, which is like 15 miles west of Boston and there is no nightlife within sight of that campus.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Man said:

Congratulations! It's still early days for us (son is a junior) but so far American is the only school he's definitely applying to. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but our Pittsburgh trip ended up ruling out both Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. That morsel of info cost us about $500 - hotel, gas and tolls, meals.

We had our first meeting with his college counselor yesterday, went pretty well. Kid goes to a very progressive private school that doesn't have class rank, academic awards (like Headmaster's List) or AP courses - though a lot of kids will take AP exams at the end of junior year to burnish their academic profile. So I had absolutely no idea where he stacked up - overall unweighted GPA is an A- but I had no idea if that was good, medium or bad. Turns out it's pretty good, but not great, particularly because as a humanities-focused kid, he hasn't taken the accelerated Math/Science track which is apparently the only way (other than self-studying and taking APs) a kid at this school can set himself apart. 

So coming from that kind of progressive, every-kid-is-special kind of institution, I was pleasantly surprised at the counselor's pragmatic assessment of his chances. She said if he scores around a 1400 SAT (which should be possible based on PSAT) then he should generally expect to rule out schools that accept <20% of applicants, reach in the 20-30% range, match in 30-40%, and likely at schools with admit rates higher than that. 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

Anyone know anything about University of Rochester or Macalester? Those were a couple of city schools the counselor mentioned. Macalester seems really good but maybe too small (and far from home). We need to figure out Boston, too. My wife was born and raised there and my mother-in-law still lives there so both my kids felt it was a little too familiar. But Northeastern and BU seem like reasonable targets, and maybe even Brandeis. 

Be forewarned that Northeastern's acceptance rate keeps dropping as the number of applicants rise.  I believe I read the latest class had an 18% acceptance rate.

As great a school as Northeastern is, it is not known for its humanities programs so you may find better fits elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, johnnycakes said:
hours ago, The_Man said:

 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

NYC schools...Fordham, Pace, St John's, Hunter, St Francis, Lehman, John Jay...plus some tech/design schools. ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Man said:

Congratulations! It's still early days for us (son is a junior) but so far American is the only school he's definitely applying to. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but our Pittsburgh trip ended up ruling out both Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. That morsel of info cost us about $500 - hotel, gas and tolls, meals.

We had our first meeting with his college counselor yesterday, went pretty well. Kid goes to a very progressive private school that doesn't have class rank, academic awards (like Headmaster's List) or AP courses - though a lot of kids will take AP exams at the end of junior year to burnish their academic profile. So I had absolutely no idea where he stacked up - overall unweighted GPA is an A- but I had no idea if that was good, medium or bad. Turns out it's pretty good, but not great, particularly because as a humanities-focused kid, he hasn't taken the accelerated Math/Science track which is apparently the only way (other than self-studying and taking APs) a kid at this school can set himself apart. 

So coming from that kind of progressive, every-kid-is-special kind of institution, I was pleasantly surprised at the counselor's pragmatic assessment of his chances. She said if he scores around a 1400 SAT (which should be possible based on PSAT) then he should generally expect to rule out schools that accept <20% of applicants, reach in the 20-30% range, match in 30-40%, and likely at schools with admit rates higher than that. 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

Anyone know anything about University of Rochester or Macalester? Those were a couple of city schools the counselor mentioned. Macalester seems really good but maybe too small (and far from home). We need to figure out Boston, too. My wife was born and raised there and my mother-in-law still lives there so both my kids felt it was a little too familiar. But Northeastern and BU seem like reasonable targets, and maybe even Brandeis. 

I’d say U of Rochester is more of a suburban location. Especially in comparison to DC, Atlanta, and Boston schools.

The U of R is on the southern edge of the city line. The Genesee River separates it from the 19th ward on the west and north while the campus is bounded on the east by a very large historic cemetery (resting place of Susan B Anthony and Frederick Douglas) and to the south by the massive U of R medical center. So it’s physically set apart from the one urban neighborhood it borders and is just not really in a walkable urban location. To explore Rochester in general does require a car.

Edited by D_House
Great school though with strengths in both science and humanities. It’s a long ways off but will encourage my kids to apply.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Man said:

Congratulations! It's still early days for us (son is a junior) but so far American is the only school he's definitely applying to. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but our Pittsburgh trip ended up ruling out both Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. That morsel of info cost us about $500 - hotel, gas and tolls, meals.

We had our first meeting with his college counselor yesterday, went pretty well. Kid goes to a very progressive private school that doesn't have class rank, academic awards (like Headmaster's List) or AP courses - though a lot of kids will take AP exams at the end of junior year to burnish their academic profile. So I had absolutely no idea where he stacked up - overall unweighted GPA is an A- but I had no idea if that was good, medium or bad. Turns out it's pretty good, but not great, particularly because as a humanities-focused kid, he hasn't taken the accelerated Math/Science track which is apparently the only way (other than self-studying and taking APs) a kid at this school can set himself apart. 

So coming from that kind of progressive, every-kid-is-special kind of institution, I was pleasantly surprised at the counselor's pragmatic assessment of his chances. She said if he scores around a 1400 SAT (which should be possible based on PSAT) then he should generally expect to rule out schools that accept <20% of applicants, reach in the 20-30% range, match in 30-40%, and likely at schools with admit rates higher than that. 

He really wants a city school, so I think right now we're looking at Match/Reaches with American, Emory and maybe Richmond.

Anyone know anything about University of Rochester or Macalester? Those were a couple of city schools the counselor mentioned. Macalester seems really good but maybe too small (and far from home). We need to figure out Boston, too. My wife was born and raised there and my mother-in-law still lives there so both my kids felt it was a little too familiar. But Northeastern and BU seem like reasonable targets, and maybe even Brandeis. 

I’ll jump into this thread right here. My daughter is a freshman at Richmond studying business.  I’m impressed with the school and she is doing well so far. Hit me up with any questions. By my eye, she was similar in track to your son, exceptions being she attended a good public HS and completed about 6 AP classes. The reach, match, safety you mentioned feels correct.

My son is a junior in HS and wants to study computer science. He’s getting stronger as a student and I’m hoping for a similar overall resume, but a whole different set of schools. Can I get your impression of Pitt? We plan to tour Easter week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Whyatt said:

I’ll jump into this thread right here. My daughter is a freshman at Richmond studying business.  I’m impressed with the school and she is doing well so far. Hit me up with any questions. By my eye, she was similar in track to your son, exceptions being she attended a good public HS and completed about 6 AP classes. The reach, match, safety you mentioned feels correct.

My son is a junior in HS and wants to study computer science. He’s getting stronger as a student and I’m hoping for a similar overall resume, but a whole different set of schools. Can I get your impression of Pitt? We plan to tour Easter week.

I liked Pitt a lot. Nice campus in its own right but also in the midst of a nice neighborhood in a great city. It did feel somewhat under resourced to some schools - especially compared to such a richly endowed school like Richmond. Also felt like the best schools were some of the professional things like Nursing, Physical Therapy and Engineering that aren’t a fit for my bookworm literary kid. But computer science could be a very good fit. A very intriguing place but just not right for us 

Edited by The_Man
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, bigbottom said:

Okay, had some time to kill and thought I’d browse the College Confidential forums to see what I could learn regarding timing on the rolling admissions schools you referenced. The schools you listed were:  Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee.  Your son is already accepted to Ohio State and South Carolina.  It also sounds like he’s been accepted at Central Florida as you are currently engaged in the scholarship review process.

As noted above, BC, BU and Bentley are not rolling admissions schools, and regular decision notifications have not gone out yet. That leaves Washington and Lee and Florida.

Washington and Lee has a stated  notification deadline of April 1 for regular decision applicants. Per College Confidential (CC), last year, notifications for regular decision applicants went out on March 22nd. It does not appear that any of this year’s RD applicants have received decisions yet  

At Florida, if your son applied by November 1, he will receive his decision on February 28 at 6pm Eastern (just a few days away). If he applied after November 1, decisions will be released on March 27 at 6pm. 

Hope that is helpful. But I don’t think that any of the schools listed that you are waiting on are rolling admissions schools. Are there others you didn’t list?

Our frenzied transmittal and data dump of paperwork and updated information bore fruit at South Carolina. Ended up getting one of their highest level scholarships (out of state tuition) and a little extra. So we now have two very good packages to consider even if none of the other schools pan out. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. 

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, El Floppo said:

NYC schools...Fordham, Pace, St John's, Hunter, St Francis, Lehman, John Jay...plus some tech/design schools. ...?

UT-Austin is very integrated as well. Different kind of place than the others, not sure if that's a + or - .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

UT-Austin is very integrated as well. Different kind of place than the others, not sure if that's a + or - .  

I love Austin, but UT is too big for my kid and probably a little further from home than comfortable. We're looking in that 6000-8000 undergraduate range, ideally.

UVM keeps cropping up in our discussions. We lived in Burlington for 7 years before moving to Baltimore and we still love it, have friends there. But I do about it being too many NJ/NY potheads and skiers. And it's good for environmental science, which is a big interest. So we'll see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_Man said:

I love Austin, but UT is too big for my kid and probably a little further from home than comfortable. We're looking in that 6000-8000 undergraduate range, ideally.

UVM keeps cropping up in our discussions. We lived in Burlington for 7 years before moving to Baltimore and we still love it, have friends there. But I do about it being too many NJ/NY potheads and skiers. And it's good for environmental science, which is a big interest. So we'll see.

 

Our friends kid went there last year for freshman year. Hated it because of the bolded and bailed. Seemed a cop out to us, but we're not her parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The_Man said:

Congratulations! It's still early days for us (son is a junior) but so far American is the only school he's definitely applying to. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but our Pittsburgh trip ended up ruling out both Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. That morsel of info cost us about $500 - hotel, gas and tolls, meals.

The Man - I can't profess to know a ton about the school, but if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, bigbottom said:

Okay, had some time to kill and thought I’d browse the College Confidential forums to see what I could learn regarding timing on the rolling admissions schools you referenced. The schools you listed were:  Ohio State, South Carolina, Florida, Central Florida, Boston College, Boston University, Bentley, and Washington & Lee.  Your son is already accepted to Ohio State and South Carolina.  It also sounds like he’s been accepted at Central Florida as you are currently engaged in the scholarship review process.

As noted above, BC, BU and Bentley are not rolling admissions schools, and regular decision notifications have not gone out yet. That leaves Washington and Lee and Florida.

Washington and Lee has a stated  notification deadline of April 1 for regular decision applicants. Per College Confidential (CC), last year, notifications for regular decision applicants went out on March 22nd. It does not appear that any of this year’s RD applicants have received decisions yet  

At Florida, if your son applied by November 1, he will receive his decision on February 28 at 6pm Eastern (just a few days away). If he applied after November 1, decisions will be released on March 27 at 6pm. 

Hope that is helpful. But I don’t think that any of the schools listed that you are waiting on are rolling admissions schools. Are there others you didn’t list?

Got into UF at the main campus. No word on FA yet. OSU saying the quality of applicants went way up in the 4 years since our older son got accepted. The school is seeing which kids actually choose to enroll before they award another batch of scholarships. UCF is saying they awarded him something but they only sent out notifications through the regular mail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Got into UF at the main campus. No word on FA yet. OSU saying the quality of applicants went way up in the 4 years since our older son got accepted. The school is seeing which kids actually choose to enroll before they award another batch of scholarships. UCF is saying they awarded him something but they only sent out notifications through the regular mail. 

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 12:55 PM, Anarchy99 said:

Got into UF at the main campus. No word on FA yet. OSU saying the quality of applicants went way up in the 4 years since our older son got accepted. The school is seeing which kids actually choose to enroll before they award another batch of scholarships. UCF is saying they awarded him something but they only sent out notifications through the regular mail. 

That is great - some nice options there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am sure a lot of your kids are facing the same issue.

My daughter has spring break next week and she is awaiting the schools decision on whether the kids will come back from spring break due to the virus (no confirmed cases on campus yet).

She said they may even decide to stop kids on campus for the rest of the semester and have every one go online for courses.

I assume they must be doing a ton of bean counting for both liability, reputation and financial (paying back pro rated dorm costs and food plans if required), like many colleges are.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am sure a lot of your kids are facing the same issue.

My daughter has spring break next week and she is awaiting the schools decision on whether the kids will come back from spring break due to the virus (no confirmed cases on campus yet).

She said they may even decide to stop kids on campus for the rest of the semester and have every one go online for courses.

I assume they must be doing a ton of bean counting for both liability, reputation and financial (paying back pro rated dorm costs and food plans if required), like many colleges are.

My daughter's school extended spring break by one week with classes resuming online once it's over. They are telling kids not to return to campus if at all possible. 

She has told me she wants to take advantage of the extra week and travel to Puerto Rico. I warned her that she might get stuck in some kind of quarantine situation over there and get delayed. She told me not to worry as she'll have her laptop with her and won't miss any classes. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son (Clemson) leaves for spring break with friends on Saturday and will drop some off at school and come back home the following weekend. They haven’t made a call yet but it does sound like online classes, maybe the rest of the semester. He’s definitely not happy, but it is what it is. I will definitely be checking in on housing/meal plan refunds. Not being a #### about it but I’ll be paying for extra food and his housing, etc for 20% of the school year. That’s around $2k and I already pay out of state - his scholarships.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our son at Ohio State is home on break and was told to stay away until the end of the month at a minimum. There would only be a couple of weeks left until graduation, so I am guessing they may just extend things until the end of the semester. Although it would seem odd for everyone to fly back to have large crowds for graduation if the intent is to minimize large gatherings.

Where our daughter went to school (but graduated) in New York, they have cancelled classes and have transitioned to an on-line learning model. She still has friends that go there, but the problem is the kids are just partying together and clubbing more than usual instead. That will defeat the purpose of trying to get the kids to stay indoors and avoid crowds in close proximity to people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took our junior in HS on his first college trip this week.  May get him decided on a college before his older brother who I have talked about in this thread (still undecided, one more visit on Friday).

We made the junior start with three he wanted to look at.  He's far more studious, looking for good (but not elite) schools and plans on going to law school afterwards.  His top three were U of MN, WI-Madison, and St. Thomas in St Paul.  He put ST on the list only because we made him choose three to start, and that's where my wife went.  On the way there, knowing the frustration of his brothers stubborness and lack of openmindedness, I told him to be open, listen, pay attention to things he liked or didn't like so he knew what to look for on the next visits.  Well, as it turned out, he liked the campus and tour a lot.  He like the size of campus, small class sizes, and the people we met.  After that, I let him know he'll likely need to keep looking for options, as MN and WI will be dramatically different campus experiences.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got the email from our daughters school.

Kids will go on spring break and then remain home for remote classes for at least two weeks, at which point they will decide if they need to extend.

All spring sports across the entire conference have been cancelled for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how much further ahead colleges are compared to grade/high schools on this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, zoobird said:

Amazing how much further ahead colleges are compared to grade/high schools on this.

The politics and social issues behind grade school closing and effecting families that have both parents working during the day are going to be huge I bet.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, zoobird said:

Amazing how much further ahead colleges are compared to grade/high schools on this.

K-12 doesnt have to worry about half of their population flying all over the globe during breaks or students actually living 24x7 in close quarters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

K-12 doesnt have to worry about half of their population flying all over the globe during breaks or students actually living 24x7 in close quarters.

This is a good call. The in loco parentis responsibilities of colleges are big too - they can't trust that some 18-year-old is actually going to go to the health clinic if he's sick. So he infects a bunch of other people and/or turns up dead in his dorm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

K-12 doesnt have to worry about half of their population flying all over the globe during breaks or students actually living 24x7 in close quarters.

Maybe not half, but more than enough who typically do. And the kids are in close quarters

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The politics and social issues behind grade school closing and effecting families that have both parents working during the day are going to be huge I bet.

Exactly. 

Closing schools is going to cause a huge hit on many/most families.

 

NYC so far is open, but parent teacher conferences tomorrow and Friday lhave been rescheduled to he remote call or FaceTime (applies for 7th grade floppinho). Of course 3rd grade floppinha's was in school today.

I was discussing with colleagues whether the public transportation or schools would shut down first...my money is heavily on the schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have official word from universities, but I am guessing our tours/visitation days that we have scheduled for later this month will all be cancelled as well.  That really puts us in a bind for my son to visit places of interest this spring.  I guess we have some virtual tours in our future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

We just got the email from our daughters school.

Kids will go on spring break and then remain home for remote classes for at least two weeks, at which point they will decide if they need to extend.

All spring sports across the entire conference have been cancelled for the year.

Same plan for my daughter's school, they sports aren't yet officially cancelled. I'm sure they will be eventually though. She was pretty bummed when I first talked to her when the news hit earlier in the day. Then she called back a little while ago and said one of her good friend's grandparents have a farm in Maui, and said a small group of them can live their and do their online courses/self-quarantine in exchange for working on the farm. Wife and I gave thumbs up, I really couldn't come up with a reasonable downside. One less person in the house sucking up our internet connection, and she'll be a ####-ton happier.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I don't have official word from universities, but I am guessing our tours/visitation days that we have scheduled for later this month will all be cancelled as well.  That really puts us in a bind for my son to visit places of interest this spring.  I guess we have some virtual tours in our future...

Yep, University of Washington has no tours until April 10. Never got an email, had to check their website. Oregon schools are on for now, but fully expect that they will be canceled. I'm guessing no tours the rest of the school year. Now trying to figure out if we still take our spring break roadtrip to these schools anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were notified our trip to WI-Madison is postponed.  We got a reminder of our visit to WI-River Falls is still on for tomorrow,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio State just cancelled classes for the rest of the semester. I have a feeling nixing graduation may be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter's school has suspended campus residential activities for the remainder of the semester. They want as many students as possible to vacate campus housing as soon as possible. The only students allowed to remain on campus are those that need to for reasons of personal safety and health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, Bull Dozier said:

We were notified our trip to WI-Madison is postponed.  We got a reminder of our visit to WI-River Falls is still on for tomorrow,

River Falls ended up cancelling as well.  All scheduled visits we had were cancelled.  No biggie for my junior, but my senior still has to decide and now can't see the last school on his list. :kicksrock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking out loud . . . but a lot of people’s financial positions will change dramatically moving forward. Do people think colleges will have to rework their FA packages or will those pretty much stay the same? We spoke with a couple of families already that are very concerned they will lose their jobs or own businesses that may go under and their kids wouldn’t be able to go to school. Downstream, do people feel this would put a dent in college enrollment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Just thinking out loud . . . but a lot of people’s financial positions will change dramatically moving forward. Do people think colleges will have to rework their FA packages or will those pretty much stay the same? We spoke with a couple of families already that are very concerned they will lose their jobs or own businesses that may go under and their kids wouldn’t be able to go to school. Downstream, do people feel this would put a dent in college enrollment?

Funny, I was thinking about this myself - I think overall, it will have an impact.  I have three kids, staggered so that I have 10 years of straight college (starting next year) with two years overlapping with two kids in.  Where I am now, I am fine...we have everything settled for my daughter.  However, this could have years of impact, so while it may not affect me in Year 1, I could be in real trouble in Years 8, 9 and 10.  Question is, will that type of impact be considered?  I mean we know how investments work (earlier you put the money in the better).  If a family just had a baby and were planning on setting up a 529, will the schools realize 20 years from now the impact Covid had?

I can see this being the trigger that finally slows the ridiculous climb in college tuitions.  Not sure how much they will do from a financial standpoint (i.e. giving more money), but i can see this being the event that causes them to take less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Just thinking out loud . . . but a lot of people’s financial positions will change dramatically moving forward. Do people think colleges will have to rework their FA packages or will those pretty much stay the same? We spoke with a couple of families already that are very concerned they will lose their jobs or own businesses that may go under and their kids wouldn’t be able to go to school. Downstream, do people feel this would put a dent in college enrollment?

I do think it will have an impact.  Folks that thought they could afford a particular school may rethink that decision.  The economic downturn will affect many families, which may in turn impact how many spots open up off the waitlist at more costly schools.

As for recalculating FA, I can't imagine how that would be practical at this point, particularly because many situations are speculative, but I imagine that it will have an impact on next year's calculations. 

Edited by bigbottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also the other side of the coin too. 

If colleges end up cancelling this semester from a room and board perspective, they may be fighting many families who want to be pro rated for the cost which is likely going to cost many colleges to lose money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

There is also the other side of the coin too. 

If colleges end up cancelling this semester from a room and board perspective, they may be fighting many families who want to be pro rated for the cost which is likely going to cost many colleges to lose money.

Brown has already said they going to refund prorated room and board. They also announced yesterday, they were giving every financial aid recipient (like us!) $150 in cash to help with the expense of having to bail on campus. Nice to have deep pockets, even if they are seriously under-endowed compared to most of their peers. $150 almost, but not quite, covers the costs of gas and tolls for yesterday's I-95/NJ Turnpike run up the East Coast and back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

There is also the other side of the coin too. 

If colleges end up cancelling this semester from a room and board perspective, they may be fighting many families who want to be pro rated for the cost which is likely going to cost many colleges to lose money.

We know of a couple kids at school that are being told to finish the semester online but stay in their rooms on campus so schools can point to the families and say they left voluntarily and void any partial housing credit should they go home. Don’t remember the schools, but I am guessing that policy is in the minority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke has just announced that it is transitioning all courses to a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option, while still allowing students the option of receiving a letter grade. Students can decide by April 22. Classes restart on March 23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Duke has just announced that it is transitioning all courses to a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option, while still allowing students the option of receiving a letter grade. Students can decide by April 22. Classes restart on March 23.

my entire college career was this way (we had one extra grade)

Not Acceptable*

Acceptable

Acceptable with Distinction

 

*This specific grade was indicated with no grade on the report card, just blank.  When kids would bomb a quarter (as often happened to freshman who were in over their head) it was called getting a "Snow flake" because the report card would be all white :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it is really early, but I am concerned about how this closure of most high schools will affect the AP tests scheduled for this spring.  Not only will they be delayed, but how will they be administered since my son took his in class last year.  Also, there are still some students taking classes in person (I think) while others are only completing online assignments from the teacher.  This seems to make an un-level playing field that should be accounted for somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

my entire college career was this way (we had one extra grade)

Not Acceptable*

Acceptable

Acceptable with Distinction

 

*This specific grade was indicated with no grade on the report card, just blank.  When kids would bomb a quarter (as often happened to freshman who were in over their head) it was called getting a "Snow flake" because the report card would be all white :)

 

 

 

Your school was way ahead of its time with the "snow flake" insult.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.