What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Dots (1 Viewer)

BusMan

Footballguy
I've been very unsuccessful at finding a general list of players with the green dot (defensive player with communication device in his helmet). Given that green dots are generally always on the field, I figure a list of green dots from each team could end up being a rather useful resource. Please help.

49ers -  Navorro Bowman

Bears - Danny TrevathanBengals Bills -  Preston BrownBroncos Browns -  Demario DavisBucaneers Cardinals -  Deone BuccanonChargers Chiefs -  Derrick JohnsonColts -  D'Qwell JacksonCowboys -  Sean LeeDolphins -  Kiko AlonsoEagles Falcons -  Deion JonesGiants -  Jonathan CasillasJaguars -  Telvin SmithJets -  David HarrisLions -  Tahir WhiteheadPackers -  Blake MartinezPanthers -  Luke KuechlyPatriots Raiders -  Malcolm SmithRams Ravens - CJ MosleyRedskins Saints -  James LaurinaitisSeahawks -  Bobby WagnerSteelers Texans Titans -  Avery WilliamsonVikings

Last edited by a moderator:
By Mike Woellert , last updated Sep 1, 2016 (from the above link)

Finding linebackers who aren’t going to leave the field is as important as finding running backs who are going to get the majority of their team's carries. It’s all about opportunity, and if you’re not on the field, you can’t get fantasy points. Keeping that in mind, here are the projected three-down LBs for each team. The linebackers wearing the communication device (green dot) are listed. These are based on year's past and what I've seen through three weeks of preseason play.

Arizona Cardinals

Deone Bucannon makes the shift from DB to LB and is set to take the every-down duties this season. Chandler Jones was acquired by the Cardinals via trade and is going to focus mostly on rushing the passer. Jones should be on the field for the majority of snaps and will be a target in big-play scoring formats. Kevin Minter is set to appear in the Cards base defense and sub packages and saw a career-high 926 snaps in 2015. Bucannon is the LB to target here, with Minter likely to be available later in drafts.

Green Dot: Deone Buccanon

Atlanta Falcons

Deion Jones has taken hold of the three-down job and has been wearing the green dot in preseason games. Vic Beasley transitions to SAM and should shift to the line in Atlanta’s sub packages. Keep an eye on him, however, as he could see a position change. Outside of deeper, big-play leagues, I’m ignoring Beasley. DeVondre Campbell should get base snaps, so keep an eye on him throughout season, as he should be in for more sub packages. TheFalcons have two solid up-and-coming linebackers, and I’ll be targeting Jones and Campbell, in that order.

Green Dot: Deion Jones

Baltimore Ravens

C.J. Mosley is the top target here, as he's Baltimore’s alpha-male ‘backer. He’s a tackling machine who should easily regain his rookie year form, especially since Daryl Smith is now with Tampa Bay. Zachary Orr is set to receive base/sub package snaps and is a nice breakout candidate. Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil are the edge rushers and should see the majority of the defensive snaps. Za’Darius Smith and Matt Judon are guys who can play themselves into some snaps, but may not see a significant amount of playing time at the outset of the season.

Green Dot: CJ Mosley

Buffalo Bills

The loss of second-round draft pick Reggie Ragland put a monkey wrench into the Bills LB situation. Preston Brown and Zach Brown are projected to be the every-down ‘backers for Buffalo. The Bills did bring in Brandon Spikes and David Hawthorne, but they are more run stoppers and shouldn’t take too many snaps from the two Browns. Preston Brown is underrated for IDP purposes, averaging over 100 tackles in the last three seasons.

Green Dot: Preston Brown

Carolina Panthers

This section more or less begins and ends with Luke Kuechly. However, I do think Shaq Thompson sees a participation rate close to 90 percent this season. Thompson has been showing well this preseason, and I think he’s ready to take the next step. Thomas Davis will be playing the strong side and should also be on the field for the majority of snaps.

Green Dot: Luke Kuechly

Chicago Bears

The Bears brought in Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman over the offseason, and they should be the ones roaming the middle and making plays. Pernell McPhee is also an option in big-play scoring formats, as he should see 80-90 percent of the snaps this season.

Green Dot:

Cincinnati Bengals

Vincent Rey should get the green dot and three-down role with Vontaze Burfict serving a three-game suspension, but should only get consideration in drafts as a late, late round flier. Karlos Dansby’s days of IDP usefulness might be drawing to a close, however. Not only is he going to get the base defense snaps, but he has also transitioned to SAM. I’m avoiding Dansby in most drafts.

Green Dot:

Cleveland Browns

Demario Davis was brought in from the Jets and should draw the three-down role for theBrowns. Demario has produced 90-plus tackles for three straight seasons, and while the offense does look improved, Davis should see over 1,000 snaps. Christian Kirksey should finally see the majority of snaps, but could have a short leash since he’s not a draft pick of the new front office. Kirksey has produced a solid tackle rate in limited snaps, however, so there’s a good chance he can hold on to the gig.

Green Dot: Demario Davis

Dallas Cowboys

Sean Lee is the only Cowboys linebacker I trust -- even with his injury history. Anthony Hitchens should see base and nickel snaps and could be serviceable in deeper leagues where you’re starting three or more LBs. Justin Durant is a below-average run stopper and should only see base defense snaps. He’s avoidable in IDP leagues.

Green Dot: Sean Lee

Detroit Lions

The Lions have done a great job hiding DeAndre Levy’s status during the preseason by simply saying he’ll be ready for Week 1. Taking the Lions at their word, he should be manning the weak-side and seeing three-down duties alongside Tahir Whitehead, who’s getting the MKE role. Whitehead, when given the chance to play and contribute, has notched tackles. Levy is an elite LB1 and Whitehead is a nice late-round sleeper who has top-30 potential.

Green Dot: Tahir Whitehead

Denver Broncos

Brandon Marshall is the clear-cut three-down linebacker, and Von Miller is going to see base and sub package snaps. That still means Miller should see 75 percent or more of the snaps, which he’s accomplished in four straight seasons. Todd Davis is an intriguing breakout prospect, as he’s being given a chance to earn a significant role with Danny Trevathan’s departure.

Green Dot:

Green Bay Packers

Blake Martinez has been wearing the green dot this preseason in Jake Ryan’s absence. Clay Matthews has appeared in 80 percent or more of the snaps in three of the last four seasons, including 97 percent of the snaps in 2015. I have a feeling Jake Ryan will emerge as the other ILB alongside Martinez and should see a significant snap uptick to make him serviceable in IDP leagues this year.

Green Dot: Blake Martinez

Houston Texans

I project Brian Cushing and Bernardrick McKinney as the three-down LBs for Houston. While I still think McKinney could play better during the regular season, his pre-season play has been less than stellar. Whitney Mercilus should play on the edge and Jadeveon Clowney will play OLB in base and DL in sub packages.

Green Dot:

Indianapolis Colts

D’Qwell Jackson is the only LB I’m considering from the Colts. He’s been a mainstay in IDP leagues and should notch his sixth-straight 100-plus tackle campaign, especially with Jerrell Freeman now with the Bears. Nate Irving looks to be the nickel ILB, but Sio Moore and Josh McNary could be involved.

Green Dot: D'Qwell Jackson

Jacksonville Jaguars

Telvin Smith is the three-down LB I want from Jacksonville. I think Paul Posluszny could lose his every-down role, and I’m devaluing him this year. Myles Jack should carve out a role in their base defense and see some sub package snaps.

Green Dot: Telvin Smith

Kansas City Chiefs

Derrick Johnson has his role solidified, but the other ILB spot in Kansas City is still up in the air. Justin March has been given snaps with the first team and could be the leader out of the gate to start opposite DJ. Ramik Wilson is the other name to watch, but is behind March for the time being as he's been on the field in nickel packages.

Green Dot: Derrick Johnson

Los Angeles Rams

I love Alec Ogletree, despite the fact he’s coming off an injury. He’s an elite playmaker and will not be coming off the field. Mark Barron makes the shift to the linebacking group from defensive back and should see the majority of the snaps, as well, with James Laurinaitis moving to New Orleans. Akeem Ayers is an IDP afterthought, as he should just see base defense snaps.

Green Dot:

Miami Dolphins

Kiko Alonso is projected to Miami’s three-down MIKE LB, but he still looks like he's playing tentatively and is shying away from contact. Jelani Jenkins should also appear in at least 90 percent of the snaps, making him viable in IDP as an LB3 with LB2 upside. Koa Misi appears to have just a two-down role in the Dolphins base defense.

Green Dot: Kiko Alonso

Minnesota Vikings

Eric Kendricks is the Vikings LB I’m targeting in tackle-heavy/balanced formats. Anthony Barr plays similarly to Khalil Mack and will be in on blitzes. So while he should have a three-down role, I’m mostly targeting him in big-play scoring formats.

Green Dot: Anthony Barr wore it in Week 3, but that was because Eric Kendricks was out. I project Kendricks to wear it.

New England Patriots

Jamie Collins is the LB to own in New England. Dont'a Hightower playing SAM, which isn't the most ideal spot in IDP. I also being utilized in pass rush. Shea McClellin could be playing on the defensive line with injuries to Rob Ninkovich and Jabaal Sheard.

Green Dot:

New Orleans Saints

Unfortunately for Stephone Anthony, the arrival of James Laurinaitis torpedoes Anthony’s IDP value in 2015. Not only could he lose snaps in the base defense, but he’s also been moved outside to the SAM ‘backer spot. Dannell Ellerbe could see snaps in both base and subs, but Laurinaitis is the only Saints linebacker who won’t leave the field in 2016.

Green Dot: James Laurinaitis

New York Giants

Honestly, I’d avoid this entire situation altogether. Seriously.

Green Dot: Jonathan Casillas. I'd still stay away.

New York Jets

David Harris, much like D’Qwell Jackson in Indy, is the Old Faithful value, as he’s going to be on the field and make tackles. Harris is looking for his fifth-straight 100-plus tackle campaign. Erin Henderson is going to draw the start opposite Harris, leaving Darron Lee to come off the bench. Lee will be off the radar in re-draft formats. Lorenzo Mauldin will be a target in big-play scoring formats, as he should see 75-80 percent of the snaps on the outside.

Green Dot: David Harris

Oakland Raiders

Malcolm Smith is getting the most run in training camp and has the highest ADP. However, if you miss on Smith, you’ll want to target Ben Heeney late in drafts. Heeney has been wearing the green dot in preseason and is going to provide solid IDP value. It’s also worth a reminder that Khalil Mack has moved from LB to DL.

Green Dot: Malcolm Smith

Philadelphia Eagles

Jordan Hicks is set to take over the three-down role, but makes sure to keep tabs on things in Philly as they brought in Stephen Tulloch over the offseason. There’s no thought of moving Hicks to the outside, but Tulloch was brought in to compete. The LB I’m most worried about is Mychal Kendricks. Nigel Bradham has been the starting nickel linebacker, so Mychal's snaps and upside are capped. I'd target Hicks first and then Bradham later on as a sleeper.

Green Dot:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier are the only LBs I’d target from this group. It’s that simple.

Green Dot:

San Diego Chargers

Denzel Perryman is primed for a breakout season as the newly-minted three-down LB in San Diego. Manti Te’o is still in town, but unfortunately, has been prone to injury. Melvin Ingram recorded 60 tackles and 10-plus sacks in 2015 and is a LB3/4 target in most IDP formats this year, as he should see nearly 80 percent of the snaps in 2016.

Green Dot:

San Francisco 49’ers

Navorro Bowman is a stud. The ILB starting opposite? Meh. As of now, it’s Michael Wilhoite, however, Gerald Hodges could carve out a role if given a chance. Bowman is the only 49ers LB I’m targeting.

Green Dot: Navorro Bowman

Seattle Seahawks

Bobby Wagner has been the LB mainstay in the Emerald City and is again a lock for 100-plus tackles. KJ Wright should see 85-90 percent of the snaps, but will have a low ceiling.

Green Dot: Bobby Wagner

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

LaVonte David and Kwon Alexander should be on the field for all of the Bucs snaps at LB this season. Daryl Smith loses his IDP appeal going forward, as he should only see snaps in their base defense.

Green Dot: 

Tennessee Titans

The only LB I’m targeting in Tennessee is Avery Williamson, as he should be on the field for the majority of the snaps and should be able to record over 100 tackles this season.

Green Dot: Avery Williamson

Washington Redskins

Will Compton can be had for free and should see the field for at least 90 percent of the defensive snaps for the Redskins this year. In 2015, he appeared in 718 defensive snaps and produced a 13.4-percent tackle rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raiders is actually Ben Heeney, as of two weeks ago.
I read that Heeney did have the green dot earlier in the pre-season, but had stumbled a bit out of the gate, so the Raiders moved it to Smith. 

Here's the quote from the Rotoworld feature from September 2nd:

The Raiders came into this offseason looking like one of the most talented defenses in the league on paper but have looked downright brutal in the preseason. One player in particular that has really let me down the last month is Ben Heeney. I even went as far this offseason as to say he deserves to be drafted in the same tier as Malcolm Smith. To start the preseason, that was looking like a wise statement as he was excelling in practice and was awarded the “green dot” as the defensive play caller. Since then, he has struggled mightily to make any sort of an impact in live action and has handed play calling duties back to Smith.  While it’s too early to bail on Heeney altogether, he is best left out of your lineup until he shows he deserves it.

northern exposure said:
I read that Heeney did have the green dot earlier in the pre-season, but had stumbled a bit out of the gate, so the Raiders moved it to Smith. 

Here's the quote from the Rotoworld feature from September 2nd:

The Raiders came into this offseason looking like one of the most talented defenses in the league on paper but have looked downright brutal in the preseason. One player in particular that has really let me down the last month is Ben Heeney. I even went as far this offseason as to say he deserves to be drafted in the same tier as Malcolm Smith. To start the preseason, that was looking like a wise statement as he was excelling in practice and was awarded the “green dot” as the defensive play caller. Since then, he has struggled mightily to make any sort of an impact in live action and has handed play calling duties back to Smith.  While it’s too early to bail on Heeney altogether, he is best left out of your lineup until he shows he deserves it.
I've not read anything about him relinquishing the green dot, and pretty sure I read everything worth reading about the team. It's possible I missed it, but I don't think so.

Interesting part about the blurb was that Heeney and Smith have both looked less than average vs inside run this year. 

Interesting part about the blurb was that Heeney and Smith have both looked less than average vs inside run this year. 
Enter rookie Cory James. 

I had heard he was already pushing Heeney and if camp was a couple weeks longer he would have had good odds to move into that MLB starting spot.

The Raiders have few remaining questions this preseason although coach Jack Del Rio said he would like to get another look at rookie middle linebacker Cory James before deciding whether James or second-year player Ben Heeney will start the season.

"Yeah, we'll see how that plays out," Del Rio said (via the San Francisco Chronicle). "We're developing a good young player there in Cory. You saw Ben last year come on and play well as the year went on, and he got opportunities. I think both guys are guys we'll count on to play a good amount for us this year."

Enter rookie Cory James. 

I had heard he was already pushing Heeney and if camp was a couple weeks longer he would have had good odds to move into that MLB starting spot.
i think heard as much coming from the OAK-San Fran preseason game. he's on my W1 waiver wire radar.

Enter rookie Cory James. 

Yeah, he's probably the best athlete of the bunch, although Heeney is fast, maybe not as smooth. Heeney's instincts are what gives him a chance, always around the ball. 

James taking a three down role is difficult to see happening soon, to me. He's probably not much better taking on blocks than Smith or Heeney, and that's their biggest deficiency, to my mind. 

The way the Raiders have set up their defense, I think the goal is to have the big line keep the backers clean, and let them run to the ball. They don't have a banger at MLB of any kind. 

So if any LB they put back there is not going to be great at taking on blocks, I think they will want seasoned vets there. I think Smith's role is more in danger than Heeney's.

Not good for Heeney at all.
From the Sac Bee reporter...

"The changes Del Rio will make for this week's game at Tennessee (1-1) will be to insert first-round draft pick Joseph at safety in place of Keith McGill, and fellow rookie James at linebacker in place of Ben Heeney."

Crossing fingers as a James owner.

From the Mike Tomlin presser when asked about signaling plays in and Timmons being off the field quite a bit...

"Ryan Shazier is the quarterback of our defense".

Thanks for the heads up on James. I added him in all my leagues.

Going to see what happens this week, butI think Heeney might be heading to the drop zone on my team.

Should I drop Demario Davis for James?  I picked up James in my dynasty league but have another redraft league where he is available.  DD threw up a solid tackle game last week.

Should I drop Demario Davis for James?  I picked up James in my dynasty league but have another redraft league where he is available.  DD threw up a solid tackle game last week.
I would not. Davis is playing every down (or close to it) and James  is just a speculative add right now. Anyone else you can drop?

I have James is 5 dynasty leagues and 1 redraft. Do not have Davis in any league.

No way.

Demario is a 3 down LB on a terrible team. He's gonna have some good games.  

James has proven little, he has so far only shown that he is probably better his draft position (he was the LAST linebacker taken), and that he can run. He's an athlete, for sure.

But Heeney played his way out of his position, James didn't beat him out. Keep an eye on James' snaps this week, and check Twitter, see how he played. 

We may even see the Raiders play 3 safeties some, they have guys they like, I could see Malcolm playing nickel with McGill. Just speculation on my part, but just saying, there's no rule that says every team needs two 3 down LB.

Users who are viewing this thread