What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Headed into week #4, how do you like the new NFL Injury designations? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I am starting to seriously dislike the elimination of "probable" - every player, regardless of injury, seems to be listed as "questionable" now. It's a major step back from the "accuracy in reporting" that the NFL was trying to push a couple years ago when Bellichick was f-ing with the injury report every week.    

Examples: 

Dez Bryant, broken bone - listed as "questionable" (not expected to play according to multiple reports) 

Rashad Jennings, sprained thumb - listed as "questionable" last week, DNP, again listed as "questionable" (not expected to play, according to multiple reports) 

There are countless more examples, but these two struck me as particularly egregious. Jennings playing on MNF really throws a wrench into Jennings owners plans who don't have Darkwa. 

I am still baffled as to why they thought this was a good idea.

Anyone here like it? Hate it as much as I do? Indifferent to it? 

The probable designation was a waste of time. Almost 100% of guys played. The real world numbers showed players listed as questionable played roughly half the time and guys listed as doubtful suited up 20-25% of the time (and usually had a reduced role or didn't play much at all).

I am not sure guys that would have been listed as probable are now getting a questionable designation. I don't think the percentage of players that play vs. don't play for the current designations will turn out to be any different than in the past.

The only people who this impacts are in the fantasy community. It also might make some coaches irritated trying to determine if a player will play, but let's be honest if they were questionable in the old system they were probably game planning for them and without them anyways.

This doesn't change anything in the NFL but makes it more difficult on fantasy players. Probable was dumb IMO. Meant the guy has hurt feelings and is still planning on playing. I never checked if a player was active if they were probable. I knew they were. 

Me: I don't care. Just have to make sure I check in before gametime to see if my guy is active and have a plan B

I am not sure guys that would have been listed as probable are now getting a questionable designation. I don't think the percentage of players that play vs. don't play for the current designations will turn out to be any different than in the past.
I think you might be right.  I was expecting a lot of problems with this, but other than the occasional early-week surprise, I really haven't noticed at all and haven't felt like it is a problem at all.

What is the point of the injury designations according to the NFL anyways (other than the obvious ties to the gambling community).

Hate it as much as you do. Causing lots of uncertainty, especially in a league where free agents must be bid on during the nightly waiver runs - no option to immediately add a replacement player if you didn't place bids by Saturday.

Already heard complaints from owners asking to have the first waiver run moved to Wednesday night due to not having the injury report on Tuesday.

The only people who this impacts are in the fantasy community. It also might make some coaches irritated trying to determine if a player will play, but let's be honest if they were questionable in the old system they were probably game planning for them and without them anyways.
Well, yeah - I wasn't thinking we were all gonna have a serious discussion about how coaches in the NFL felt about it. lol 

Definitely in the context of FFB. I think it has a big impact. 

I never checked if a player was active if they were probable. I knew they were. 
But hat's kinda my whole point - in the past I could ignore players on my rosters listed as "probable" - now I have to monitor every day. 

What is the point of the injury designations according to the NFL anyways (other than the obvious ties to the gambling community).
As I understand it, it's always been about fair play - since the teams are trying to beat each other, I'm not sure why the NFL wants so much disclosure to your opponents, but it seems like the sporting thing to do. I'll have to go use my GoogleFu on a search about the history of the injury report - interesting question. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap!! A quick google and it appears you actually hit the nail on the head: 

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-11-22-injury-report-cover_N.htm

'There should be disclosure'

The NFL injury report dates from 1947, when it was mandated by then-commissioner Bert Bell because of an incident the previous season.

It "had to do with a player who was injured and (unexpectedly) didn't play in the game," Aiello says. "There were questions about that, and (Bell) realized that wasn't good for the integrity of the league, so there should be disclosure about the condition of players."

These days, billions of dollars are wagered on NFL games by 40 million people each week, says USA TODAY oddsmaker Danny Sheridan. While acknowledging that opaquely, the league says the injury report also aims to provide transparency to the public about players' health status for games.
So the injury report was created to help the general public, as it relates to gambling. Amazing. 

Well sheesh - let's get a petition going to Goodell - the FFB community represents a billion dollar industry right now! We could threaten a massive boycott! :D  

Well, yeah - I wasn't thinking we were all gonna have a serious discussion about how coaches in the NFL felt about it. lol 
I guess I'm of the opinion that if you can't change it no sense in complaining about it. I'm not dogging the post, I get why a discussion is legitimate. 

I don't really find it to be too annoying to be honest. Yeah, we have to check more often and stay on top of things, but really I just check on Tuesday if my guy is at all limited and do I need a potential plan B, Friday and Sunday morning to see if Plan B needs to be changed or played.

Dr. Brew said:
I guess I'm of the opinion that if you can't change it no sense in complaining about it. I'm not dogging the post, I get why a discussion is legitimate. 

I don't really find it to be too annoying to be honest. Yeah, we have to check more often and stay on top of things, but really I just check on Tuesday if my guy is at all limited and do I need a potential plan B, Friday and Sunday morning to see if Plan B needs to be changed or played.
I think it has a significantly greater effect for the Sunday night and Monday night games. 

It isnt the perfect solution but once I heard about this I proposed (and it was accepted)  that our lineups be due at each game time as opposed to 1PM Sunday.   That allows people more flexibility  in their lineups to offset some of the uncertainty.

Clear as mud

They should change it back because at this point, teams are treating "questionable" as the new "probable". They probably love it

Do you guys know where we can find stats on the frequency players listed as questionable actually played this year (since they changed the designation rules)? 

Do you guys know where we can find stats on the frequency players listed as questionable actually played this year (since they changed the designation rules)? 
I'm sure someone will do a piece on it after the season.

the perfect example of why the new rules are horrible might be Dez Bryant and the games the Cowboys played week to week.

they had him as questionable, touted him as though he was probable, while all along he should have been listed as doubtful. For what, 3, 4 weeks straight? 

If we still had the "probable" tag, Dallas couldn't have played the media for chumps on a weekly basis talking him up as though he were probable. 

I just don't understand why they changed it in the 1st place.'

Users who are viewing this thread