What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Printers... (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
Time for a new one...our old Lexmark served us well...but it has not been good with Windows 10 and Im tired of firing up an old and slow laptop when I want to print or scan something.

Ink is now about out and rather than replace that on a printer that does not work...its about as cheap to buy a new printer all together anyway.

Questions...

long haul here....laser vs. ink jet?

Need something that can copy, scan and print...and would love the options that most have now to wirelessly print or print from tablets or phones.

Anything that people like?

I have an earlier version of this Brother Printer. Had zero problems with it in the almost 5 years we've had ours. Mine doesn't have wireless, but I am able to get access to it via the network that it is attached to.

I wouldn't bother with an ink jet. They go thru expensive ink quickly and don't do any better printing.

We just upgraded to a cannon all-in-one type laser printer from our older HP ink jet all-in-one type earlier this year.    The laser seems far superior in my opinion. Nice resolution on copies and scans, I believe the ink cartridges last far longer and do more prints before needing to be replaced--so I'm very happy with the cannon laser that we got.  One difference is that the new laser printer sits a little wider and a bit taller off of our desk--it's definitely a larger machine than what our ink jet was.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Laser.

I'd probably go with Samsung, Brother or HP.  Do you need Color?
I go back and forth on color.  Black and White seems fine for 99% of what we would have to do.  Then there will come some strange project my son will have and need color.  Thinking we can sneak a few sheets printed from my wife's work or just have it printed some where when we need that though.

We just upgraded to a cannon all-in-one type laser printer from our older HP ink jet all-in-one type earlier this year.    The laser seems far superior in my opinion. Nice resolution on copies and scans, I believe the ink cartridges last far longer and do more prints before needing to be replaced--so I'm very happy with the cannon laser that we got.  One difference is that the new laser printer sits a little wider and a bit taller off of our desk--it's definitely a larger machine than what our ink jet was.  
Size isn't a huge issue...we have a pretty big desk and a nice wood file cabinet that the printer sits on.

Size isn't a huge issue...we have a pretty big desk and a nice wood file cabinet that the printer sits on.
If space isn't a big issue for you-- I definitely would go for a laser printer.   The space issue is pretty much the only "con" to the laser printer that I can think of.   Certainly--the initial purchase price of a laser printer tends to be more than most ink jet models---but the time and money that you will save on ink cartridges over the course of the lifespan of the machine actually makes the cost of a laser into a "pro" over time in my opinion. 

People still print things? Who knew?
Yes...still need to for the kid's school stuff.  I also run the sales for school gear at my son's middle school and have to print receipts sometimes...and keep up with orders and forms (and make copies of the invoices to submit).

I haven't had a printer in years but may be in the market.  I have 2 currently, including one brand new one, but they are older.  Do all the new ones have an easy way to connect wirelessly?  I think there is a Google print app... What's that's all about.

Laser.

I'd probably go with Samsung, Brother or HP.  Do you need Color?
I go back and forth on color.  Black and White seems fine for 99% of what we would have to do.  Then there will come some strange project my son will have and need color.  Thinking we can sneak a few sheets printed from my wife's work or just have it printed some where when we need that though.
I bought a color Laser Printer a couple years ago for this. Nice to have both so that we only use the color when it is needed.

We only use out  older Epson for some copying a couple of times a year.  Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 it does not work well.  Downloaded the new drives from Epson but still won`t work.   Costco has some what looks like nice printers for around 100.00.

How much are laser printers these days?

Last year I was worked remotely for five weeks    :excited:    and I needed to scan/fax some docs that couldn't be signed electronically. I got a decent inkjet for like $125 (says HP Envy 7640 after I wipe the dust off.) Wireless, good quality, good value for what little I used it.

ETA: - a couple times a year the kids need it, but it's def not something I rationalize based on usage   :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an Epson WF-3640 - https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3640-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00JXLGEUC   the scanning is fine, but I've had nothing but issues with the printing/copying as the ink clogs all the time. I've read it is unfortunately a fairly common issue for what seems like an otherwise decent machine for the $100-125 price point (I think Costco often has it discounted to under $100 - tempted to buy a new one and return the old one). I don't need to do a ton of printing, most of it is for kids school projects or things my wife needs for PTA stuff, I actually tend to use the scanner and copier features more, so when I finally decide to chuck this out the window, will be interested to follow this thread to see what fits that bill.

The good thing with a laser, is the toner cartridge won't dry out and if you barely use it, they will last forever. You may need to take the cartridge out and give it a shake from time to time, but the laserjet is definitely more cost effective. I tell my customers the same thing. Sure the toner cartridges are more expensive, but the page yield is way more than an ink cartridge. You also don't need to buy genuine toner carts either. Compatibles are all I use and mines been going strong for 10 years now.

After many color ink jet printers (and expensive ink cartridges), we finally bought a b&w laser printer by Brother (includes copy/scan/fax (but we don't use fax)), and happy we did it.  the ink lasts a long time, it works flawlessly and if we have to print in color (which is rare) we go to a Fed Ex store and pay the 30 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread