What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a new laptop (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
I made a thread on this about a year ago but never replaced my laptop. I got a 2O15 MacBook Air after replacing another Mac and somehow downgraded from what I had without realizing until recently. I'd prefer to get another Mac of some kind as most of my cloud stuff is on there and would be a ***** to transfer it to another laptop however I wouldn't be opposed to a Toshiba which I had before the Mac and that thing was like a tank for me. Would consider Microsoft or any other other ideas. I'd prefer to spend something around $1OO - $2OO less if possible. Would pay up to 3OO if its a good laptop

Anyway my USB on the left side is shot and my ZERO KEY is destroyed. My "P" key also is hard to hit sometimes. Also my battery needs to be replaced and doesn't hold a charge for no longer then 2 hrs if not less. I went to a CPU repair place a few months ago and the guy told me it sounded like my keyboard needed to be replaced but he said with models like mine there was a Keyboard recall and the USB port is attached to the keyboard. Long story short probably have to replace the whole thing and he said there also might be other issues we don't know exist. He told me to get the model numbers and everything and he could give me a really good estimate from there of what it would cost but side on caution and expect possible more if other issues were there. He also said they could replace the battery for free. When I went up it wasn't worth replacing after I got the guy the model # and everything so need a new laptop.

I grinned a bear it for over a year. I recently starting riding my bike again and put way too much $$$ into an old bike that my dad got me a new one for my birthday. Honestly great gesture but at this point I'd have predered a new laptop since the cost of the bike would've been less. Don't get me wrong it's an all in one bike. Anyway my frame rate of watching videos is now freezing up on videos sound and frame rate like a snail.

I'm looking to maybe switch from a MAC right now given the expenses and all. I don't game on my laptop. I use it to come here check Facebook and twitter and research new music. I'm also doing some YouTube streaming and helping someone so a built in camera with bluetooth capability for wireless Headphones would be great.

TIA

With your budget yeah a Chromebook might be the way to go, unless you're looking at used laptops. You won't touch a Mac for 300.00. The downside to the Chromebook is that you have to move over to a new ecosystem for cloud if you want integration.

If I lived in philly with that budget I would strongly consider the below laptop, it is a refurbished business model laptop and is what our field engineers use when working on oil rigs. These things are tanks and while it is older already there is no reason it cannot make it another 5-10 years.

They also have the below with the main drawback being a smaller monitor

Chromebook or used Thinkpad.

I bought a used Thinkpad T420 in 2014 for $200. Dropped an SSD in it when I got and that thing still runs like a top.

If running a windows system, Windows Hello biometrics is a must-have these days to somewhat mitigate the humiliation of having to log in to your own machine at home every day.

With your budget yeah a Chromebook might be the way to go, unless you're looking at used laptops. You won't touch a Mac for 300.00. The downside to the Chromebook is that you have to move over to a new ecosystem for cloud if you want integration.

If I can move my cloud stuff over easy I’m all for it. I just have pics and videos i do t want to lose

Dell Inspiron 15 for $329 - well, I don't love it but it fits the parameters. 15.6" display, 8 GB RAM, 512GB NVMe drive and unfortunately it has Windows 11 Home which is dreadful. If it were me, the first thing I would do is rip and replace the NVMe with something usable (like 2TB or more) and add RAM if that's possible - sometimes they solder in the RAM and you're stuck with what they give you. I haven't researched this laptop, I just did a quick google search and came up with this one. Most others in that price range had 4GB of RAM and 128 GB drives in them.

I get you need/want something right away but if it were me, I'd get a wireless keyboard and save up for something in the $500 range. I would also recommend you keep your eyes peeled over at www.outlet.us.dell.com they have refurbs, scratch and dents there, etc. you may find a good deal there. I would also be on the lookout for Amazon's sale they have coming up on July 11th and 12th. Oh, and sometimes I see some deals from woot.com but you have to jump on those right away.

Dell Inspiron 15 for $329 - well, I don't love it but it fits the parameters. 15.6" display, 8 GB RAM, 512GB NVMe drive and unfortunately it has Windows 11 Home which is dreadful. If it were me, the first thing I would do is rip and replace the NVMe with something usable (like 2TB or more) and add RAM if that's possible - sometimes they solder in the RAM and you're stuck with what they give you. I haven't researched this laptop, I just did a quick google search and came up with this one. Most others in that price range had 4GB of RAM and 128 GB drives in them.

I get you need/want something right away but if it were me, I'd get a wireless keyboard and save up for something in the $500 range. I would also recommend you keep your eyes peeled over at www.outlet.us.dell.com they have refurbs, scratch and dents there, etc. you may find a good deal there. I would also be on the lookout for Amazon's sale they have coming up on July 11th and 12th. Oh, and sometimes I see some deals from woot.com but you have to jump on those right away.

Was going to do Amazon day for the purchase just figure out right now which laptop to invest in this time

If running a windows system, Windows Hello biometrics is a must-have these days to somewhat mitigate the humiliation of having to log in to your own machine at home every day.
If you have one user account and don't set a pwd you didn't need to login

Was going to do Amazon day for the purchase just figure out right now which laptop to invest in this time

There is a microcenter in Philly and microcenter >> Amazon. In addition those laptops I linked are business grade laptops, Dell uses higher quality screws, hinges, keys, etc on their business grade line than they do on their consumer grade line.

However, microcenter does have great deals on consumer grade laptops as well.

The below is 200, although any of the 300 dollar ones would be better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread