What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Laptop Advice for College Bound Student (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
My son is going to college for engineering next week and needs a Windows-based laptop. The school sent out the following configuration suggestions:

Min 16GB RAM; CPU 3.3 GHZ or higher; Nvidia GPU with 4 GB (not minimum but suggested); min 512 GB SSD suggested;

It's been over a decade since I purchased a windows based laptop so I am by no means an expert. I did find the following on Amazon for $1300 and am interested in feedback:

ASUS Vivobook Pro 15 Laptop, 15.6” FHD Display, AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS Mobile CPU, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 4060 Laptop GPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 Home​

My sense is that the GPU is overpowered compared to the display--is that assesment correct? Any other thoughts?

Ugh. I just got off the phone with my son (3rd year engineering student) and he tells me his laptop is overheating like crazy. It won’t even turn on now. I know this doesn’t help you much, but the timing was just right for me to vent.

ETA...If it helps in any way, here is what I bought him back in April of 2021. Seems to have served him well (until now, of course)
Dell Inspiron 15.6" Full HD TouchScreen Laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7,16GB DDR4,1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, ...
  • Color: Silver
  • CPU Type: Intel Core i7 11th Gen
  • CPU Speed: 1165G7 (2.80GHz)
  • Screen Size: 15.6"
  • Touchscreen: Yes
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  • GPU/VPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
  • SSD: 1 TB
  • HDD: No
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Options: Touch Screen

Last edited:
Touchscreen is a must. Younger kids don't seem to use mice. That rules out Apple. That was fine by me.

15.6 might be a big big. 14" probably better.

I bought both my daughters Lenovo X1 Carbons. 14" screen. Fantastic build.

If you want the laptop to last a long time buy a business grade laptop and not a consumer grade laptop.

They are slightly more expensive for the same specs, but they are built with better components. Dell latitude or precision depending on how much you want to spend. Although almost every large manufacturer makes a business line of laptops.

If at all possible just get a M1 MacBook Air. For most basic school tasks it will be superior.
Both of mine had MacBook Air's through college. Oldest got about 7 years out of hers before she had to get a new one. Youngest still rocking hers after 5 years. Rock solid for a college kid.

If at all possible just get a M1 MacBook Air. For most basic school tasks it will be superior.
Both of mine had MacBook Air's through college. Oldest got about 7 years out of hers before she had to get a new one. Youngest still rocking hers after 5 years. Rock solid for a college kid.
My oldest just graduated and he’s still using his MacBook Air he got before his freshman year. My middle son just started college and he brought an iPad Air with pencil for in class and also has his desktop that we built from parts (more than powerful enough). My oldest got an iPad Air before his Junior year (I think) because he could take notes on slides with the pencil and really liked that.

My son (mech eng) uses a MacBook, but has to have a separate windows laptop for his CAD work (classes, lab and research).

I've tried to find the specs for what we bought him, but I must have purchased it in store. In any event, it was a couple years ago, so probably not particularly relevant for today. One thing I would say, however, is to get something with more processing power than what is stated by the school as the minimum system requirements. Classes are one thing, but my son is now doing directed research with more involved CAD work than what was needed for his classes.

Touchscreen is a must. Younger kids don't seem to use mice. That rules out Apple. That was fine by me.

Totally disagree for this use case. It's going to CAD applications....you absolutely need the precision of a mouse or trackball. 15.6 might be too small honestly, unless he's using an external monitor.

My son is going to college for engineering next week and needs a Windows-based laptop. The school sent out the following configuration suggestions:

Min 16GB RAM; CPU 3.3 GHZ or higher; Nvidia GPU with 4 GB (not minimum but suggested); min 512 GB SSD suggested;

It's been over a decade since I purchased a windows based laptop so I am by no means an expert. I did find the following on Amazon for $1300 and am interested in feedback:

ASUS Vivobook Pro 15 Laptop, 15.6” FHD Display, AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS Mobile CPU, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 4060 Laptop GPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 Home​

My sense is that the GPU is overpowered compared to the display--is that assesment correct? Any other thoughts?
Agree the GPU is overpowered and is geared towards gaming not CAD/design. Display should be fine. You may want to look at the Lenovo ThinkPad P series, pretty much a mobile workstation specifically for designing in CAD/CAM programs.

Agree the GPU is overpowered and is geared towards gaming not CAD/design. Display should be fine. You may want to look at the Lenovo ThinkPad P series, pretty much a mobile workstation specifically for designing in CAD/CAM programs.

Yeah, listen to this guy and ignore what I said up above.

This is what my company standard is for engineering laptops - Lenovo P series. They are durable as heck, run CAD and simulation programs well, but weigh a ton.

Totally disagree for this use case. It's going to CAD applications....you absolutely need the precision of a mouse or trackball. 15.6 might be too small honestly, unless he's using an external monitor.
I missed the Engineering part. My bad.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I was in Costco over the weekend (ironically replacing my daughter's MBP) when I noticed a Dell Inspiron for $1100 ($400 off) with 32 GBs of RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel i7-13700H Processor.

Can anyone shed light on the video "card" and display?

• 16" Anti-Glare WVA ComfortView Plus 2.5K (2560 x 1600) Display
  • Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics

I was in Costco over the weekend (ironically replacing my daughter's MBP) when I noticed a Dell Inspiron for $1100 ($400 off) with 32 GBs of RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel i7-13700H Processor.

What CAD program is he going to be using? When I get back to work on Tuesday I will get you the specs from my laptop. I use SolidWorks. I know it's a Lenovo ThinkPad. A good graphics card is a must.

What CAD program is he going to be using? When I get back to work on Tuesday I will get you the specs from my laptop. I use SolidWorks. I know it's a Lenovo ThinkPad. A good graphics card is a must.

Good question. I will ask him when he gets back from work.

Btw, I used a Lenovo P50 for 5 years straight every day, often taking it home with me every day. Traveled on multiple trips to Asia and unfortunately on some of my vacations too. I gave it up only when the fan got too noisy. It easily had 10,000 hours of use.

That's integrated graphics card, it's ok but probably not powerful enough

The tech specs of the laptop you have chosen is more than enough for the requirements of the school.
I use an affordable Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop for CAD software, it works well.
pctechtest.com/best-laptops-for-college-students

This is what I use. I use SolidWorks daily

Lenovo ThinkPad P16 G1

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz (Upgrading this processor to something in the range of 3.8GHz - 4.0 GHz)

Installed RAM 128.0 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro T1000 (Upgrading to an NVIDIA Quadro RTX A5000 Graphics card soon)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

all i know is that back when i was still around it to run cad there was a whole standalone computer that ran nothing but cad and only a few people could touch its amazing to me that it can run on laptops now probably while music is playing and so on take that to the bank brohans

Integrated graphics aren't enough here - I'd lean toward something like a Lenovo Legion Pro. Good graphics (RTX 3070), good monitor resolution (another must). You can easily add another SSD (it has room for two). Reasonable price. Not the lightest in the world (light laptops with good graphics cards are $$$$), but for something that can handle SolidWorks this is a reasonable, cost effective solution.

Lenovo ThinkPad P16 G1

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz (Upgrading this processor to something in the range of 3.8GHz - 4.0 GHz)

Installed RAM 128.0 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro T1000 (Upgrading to an NVIDIA Quadro RTX A5000 Graphics card soon)

I'm running a Quadro P2200. It's good for the most part, but gets a little clunky on huge Solidworks files.

Lenovo ThinkPad P16 G1

Installed RAM 128.0 GB

I'm running a Quadro P2200. It's good for the most part, but gets a little clunky on huge Solidworks files.
We're upgrading to the RTX A5000 to help with that. Some of my assemblies have north of 20k components

Users who are viewing this thread