What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Skinny NYC Asian Harvard-Grad Food Blogger Chick Wins 2nd Place then gets Busted for Cutting Half Marathon Course (1 Viewer)

Tom Skerritt

Footballguy
http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/02/runner-disqualified-after-claiming-2nd.html

(pics in the link)

The cover up is as bad as the crime. Highlights:

• Places 2nd in Ft. Lauderdale Half Marathon with time of 1:21:46
  • Time keeper questions her splits, as her last 11K time (5:25 min/mile) is much faster than her first 10K (7:09 min/mile)
  • She defends her time and is awarded 2nd place
  • She initially posts "manual" data on a running results website... followed by uploaded GPS data later that day
  • Uploaded GPS data turns out to be from a bike ride later that afternoon to cover-up for the lack tracking data from the actual race
  • Her own post-race photos contain high-res images of her GPS watch showing that she only ran 11.65 miles, short by about 1.5 miles
  • After being confronted with all of the evidence, she finally confesses
  • She turned around about 3/4 of a mile before the turn-around-point of the race
  • Apparent motivation was to get a sub-1:24:00 time to be eligible for elite status in her running group The NY Road Runners
  • She is later expelled from an elite NYC running group The Dashing Whippets

Last edited by a moderator:
[ princess Bride old lady] BOO. BOO!

There was a... mountain biking similar situation recently IIRC... Except over several races.

Biking it later was a really stupid idea particularly with cadence and heart rate monitoring -- even for a Harvard graduate.

I don't understand the need for the words "Skinny", "Asian" and "Chick" in the title thread. Would it have been a far different story if it was a medium sized white dude that did the same thing?    In any case--shame of her for cheating.  I also think it's lame that she was a part of a running group that could actually kick you out of the group should you not finish a race within a certain time period.  Running groups should include people because they are passionate about running--not because of what times they get. 

I don't understand the need for the words "Skinny", "Asian" and "Chick" in the title thread. Would it have been a far different story if it was a medium sized white dude that did the same thing?    In any case--shame of her for cheating.  I also think it's lame that she was a part of a running group that could actually kick you out of the group should you not finish a race within a certain time period.  Running groups should include people because they are passionate about running--not because of what times they get. 
The way I read it, she was trying to qualify for NYRR elite status... Not sure what that gets you other than staying races with the faster group rather than with the flunkies. But I genuinely don't know.

That's different than her running club that kicked her out for cheating.

The way I read it, she was trying to qualify for NYRR elite status... Not sure what that gets you other than staying races with the faster group rather than with the flunkies. But I genuinely don't know.

That's different than her running club that kicked her out for cheating.
I think you are right--the click to the story was weird in regards to how the story is formatted. When I clicked the link--the story was far on the left side of the screen so it was hard for me to follow on my phone. Sounds like there was a sub-club within the running group that is more performance based.   Looks like she wanted to maintain her status within that sub-group and thus cheated to improve her time.  I think your post is more accurate than my original assessment about the club.  Good catch. 

Users who are viewing this thread